20 64.52%
  • GRE (2-1)

12 38.71%
  • CZE (2-1)

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [2nd Round] Group K: USA-BRA-GRE-CZE

Just before the tournament, this Greece team had soooooo much hype. Too much. With all due respect, I did not see Greece as a TOP4 team. I thought, that their journey will end at Quarter Finals. It ended up sooner. Too soon, to say the least, just like Lithuania's.

And I don't actually know whether there's a somehow significantly better way to use Giannis in Fiba basketball. What is more, I believe that a player named Ben Simmons would perform even worse at FIBA games.

What I'm trying to say is that it is so much better to have players like Bogdan Bogdanovič, Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Patty Mills, Luka Dončič, Nicolas Batum, Evan Fournier, Tony Parker, hell even Porzingis or Bojan Bogdanovič as team leaders than players like Giannis or Simmons.

All things considered, Greece got robbed in their match against Brazil in the same way BY THE SAME REFEREES as Lithuania in their match against France. The tournament for both teams was disappointing. I wish you guys to be in the Olympics and see us there. Hopefully we don't get thrown in the same Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Well to be honest none of us saw Greece as a top4 team.
    We were saying that top8 would be ok and that a top4 finish would mean a successful endeavor.

Also, you state the obvious, that in FIBA basketball you need people that shoot the ball well in order to nullify the effect of tight defenses
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    You gotta love FIBA when we are congratulating a team that just got outplayed and beat by 7 points. Great job.
    In Europe we have a little different view on this things. If you lose 2-0 in football the 2nd leg of a round where you won the first leg 3-0 it's often viewed as a success as you advanced to the next round. I understand that you don't have this kind of competition systems in the US as you play playoffs but I think Czech's situation is quite obvious for all.

Something irrelevant:

Having played basketball for many years, including games where a difference needed to be secured, I would 100% prefer it if the team with the advantage was handed the points at the beginning of the game. For example today could start by Czech having 11 points on the board. It’s very counterintuitive to be near the end of the game, be up by 10, and have the same mentality as if you could see that you are 1 point behind.

Excuse the craziness of the statement, it’s something that I have thought of in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    Satoransky was shit today,It was Nymburk superstar Bohacik that kept them alive.By the way they havent qualified yet.I wouldnt be shocked if USA loses to Brazil
    I'd be shocked if Petrovic lets that happen
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

There is one more thing I would like to add to the overall mess we were watching in this tournament. Its obvious that Giannis has still to adapt to FIBA rules and FIBA game style and also to find chemistry with his teammates. For this to happen and to have an impact on FIBA level in future he has to play for the national team EVERY year and not every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    There is one more thing I would like to add to the overall mess we were watching in this tournament. Its obvious that Giannis has still to adapt to FIBA rules and FIBA game style and also to find chemistry with his teammates. For this to happen and to have an impact on FIBA level in future he has to play for the national team EVERY year and not every now and then.
    He needs to learn how to shoot first of all.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by paspalj View Post
    Something irrelevant:

Having played basketball for many years, including games where a difference needed to be secured, I would 100% prefer it if the team with the advantage was handed the points at the beginning of the game. For example today could start by Czech having 11 points on the board. It’s very counterintuitive to be near the end of the game, be up by 10, and have the same mentality as if you could see that you are 1 point behind.

Excuse the craziness of the statement, it’s something that I have thought of in the past
    How much Ouzo did you have today mate?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
    Listen! Ouzo is for tourists. Greeks prefer either Tsipouro in mainland Greece or Raki on Crete.
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 09-09-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
    Hahaha, not enough yet

Listen! Ouzo is for tourists. Greeks prefer either Tsipouro on mainland Greece or Raki on Crete.
    What? No no no.

I like all three, but I do admit a preference to tsipouro

1) Skourtopoulos is not an Head Coach
    2) Giannis is NBA and not FIBA MVP
    3) apart from Sloukas, Calathes, Printezis the remaining players are second rate
    5) we are missing guards and have too many forwards
    6) the team is growing old
    1. He can continue as an assistant. I think that players feel comfortable with him.
    3. Sloukas is 29, Calathis is 30 and Printezis is 34. As we can realise sooner than later we will face a huge problem.
    5. We are missing good players. We have problem on the frontcourt, too. I am not very optimistic about the upcoming tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    1. He can continue as an assistant. I think that players feel comfortable with him.
    3. Sloukas is 29, Calathis is 30 and Printezis is 34. As we can realise sooner than later we will face a huge problem.
    5. We are missing good players. We have problem on the frontcourt, too. I am not very optimistic about the upcoming tournaments.
    Guys, we already saw a decade now that it's not only some individual talent which can push you forward.
    We now are used to mediocre appearances.
    Do you think that with larentzakis Gikas Saloustros Koniaris, antetokounbros Papagiannis papapetrou, and whoever youngster steps up, we will be much worse than 2017, 2019? lol i doubt.
    as a lith fellow commented earlier, ok you have sloukas and Calathes. and what did they do? spended both in most offenses about 13-15 meaningless dribling passing between them with no plays at all.
    i believe it's a matter of a better federation organizement and a top class coaching stuff to be decent in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    He has been an assistant with Coach Katsikaris and failed in OQT in Turino, Italy. Actually I think sometimes you need to a have clean cut and get rid of looser mentality.

Listen! Ouzo is for tourists. Greeks prefer either Tsipouro on mainland Greece or Raki on Crete.
    Only Raki bro, and that amazing wine from Crete. I have been to Crete several times. The last time I took home 4 cases of wine from Douloufakis winery. Had a lot of trouble at the border, they wouldn't let me pass with all that wine. I threatened to park at the border and drink all of it before paying them a penny for this. I opened a bottle and me and the customs officer tasted, I gave him a free bottle and he let me through. Ah, memories

Quote Originally Posted by Valexander View Post
    Guys, we already saw a decade now that it's not only some individual talent which can push you forward.
    We now are used to mediocre appearances.
    Do you think that with larentzakis Gikas Saloustros Koniaris, antetokounbros Papagiannis papapetrou, and whoever youngster steps up, we will be much worse than 2017, 2019? lol i doubt.
    as a lith fellow commented earlier, ok you have sloukas and Calathes. and what did they do? spended both in most offenses about 13-15 meaningless dribling passing between them with no plays at all.
    i believe it's a matter of a better federation organizement and a top class coaching stuff to be decent in the future.
    Besides Giannis and Thanasis all the others you mentioned are some mediocre players. Nothing special. Switzerland's level players (yes i am pissed with some of them ). I seems that we do not have players who can lead the team in the near future, except Giannis.

I agree that the Federation has to change but this will take some time, maybe years.

He has been an assistant with Coach Katsikaris and failed in OQT in Turino, Italy. Actually I think sometimes you need to a have clean cut and get rid of looser mentality.
    Katsikaris failure proved that a good coach will not guarentee success. Skourtopoulos failed and we need someone who knows the team (windows are coming). But no money, no coach.

I didn't know rakı is also sold (produced?) in Greece, and I had been to Athens. It was always rakı vs uzo in my mind
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    I didn't know rakı is also sold (produced?) in Greece, and I had been to Athens. It was always rakı vs uzo in my mind
    Only in Crete and they pronounce it something like Rachi with ch like in chair.

Popovich should lsiten to my advise and tank..If it was a european team they'd do it.They chose the France/Serbia/Spain or Australia path instead of Australia/Spain/Serbia or France

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    You gotta love FIBA when we are congratulating a team that just got outplayed and beat by 7 points. Great job.
    Very strange for Americans to see two teams with the same record and the team that beat the other team in their game not move on. Of course Greece should have never lost to Brazil though.
    Winner! Euroleague Prediction Game 15/16
    2nd Place! World Cup Prediction Game 2019

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast