• GRE (2-1)

12 38.71%
  • CZE (2-1)

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: [2nd Round] Group K: USA-BRA-GRE-CZE

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Slovenia was an underdog in that Eurobasket. Greece was a favourite for a medal due to Giannis.
    I’m saying that Greece needed Dragic like performance to be even in contention for something more. Maybe is unfair but players are evaluated by performance and expectations. If you’re one of the best players in Nba and you want to be leader of Greece, 14.8/8.8 is not enough and probably the biggest disappointment of WC. Same numbers would be great for some else. Slovenia would have never won anything, if Dragic was playing like Giannis in Eurobasket. And we know that expectations for Giannis was much bigger than for Dragic.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    I think that at least his 3pt shooting and defense abilities will improve since these elements are considered valuable in the NBA as well. Also a fadeaway or turn around jumpshot would not harm his NBA play. Maybe his coaches will help him to develop all skills required to create his own shot.

I once read that Holger Geschwinder Nowitzkis mentor and private shooting coach was interested to train Giannis but I never heared anything about the outcome of this effort.

Giannis will be 25 soon. He can and probably will become better, but it’s very doubtful how much can he improve in shooting. Here is very interesting analysis, which shows how bad shooter he’s.

https://fansided.com/2019/09/06/nylo...nt-percentage/
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Giannis will be 25 soon. He can and probably will become better, but it’s very doubtful how much can he improve in shooting.
    What should I say? Hopefully your assessment turns out to be wrong and he finds a way to improve.

On the other hand I was always hoping that Kosta Koufos would improve but year after year he was declining instead of improving and at the end the NBA spit him out because he was of no use any more. I think Kosta was/is a hard worker but he lacks intelligence to realize himself what is the best for his development and where improvement is required. It could be that Giannis will have a similar development he will be breed the way the NBA wants him so that he is able to generate amazing dunks and drives which are nice to watch for the common spectator and neglect the basic basketball skills.
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 09-10-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    I’m saying that Greece needed Dragic like performance to be even in contention for something more. Maybe is unfair but players are evaluated by performance and expectations. If you’re one of the best players in Nba and you want to be leader of Greece, 14.8/8.8 is not enough and probably the biggest disappointment of WC. Same numbers would be great for some else. Slovenia would have never won anything, if Dragic was playing like Giannis in Eurobasket. And we know that expectations for Giannis was much bigger than for Dragic.
    Slovenia had two great players. Dragic had a green light to take as many shots as he wanted. Also consider that Dragic only had these stats in one tournament. They simply had great chemistry.
    Greece is build different. They play different. They had different expectations. Giannis took less shots that Dragic and defenses were build just to stop him. I think these are also factors we should consider. Regardless of that, I believe that during next Olympic cycle Giannis will be unstopable.
    Last edited by Victorious; 09-10-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

I speak a little little Greek (not that good - I learned it by myself) - is it true that at sport24.gr the journalist that covered the tournament suggests in his roundup of Greece's performance Giannis to jump over some tournaments in the future? I couldn't get the sense why? Working on his game? What a stupid conclusion if it's like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    I speak a little little Greek (not that good - I learned it by myself) - is it true that at sport24.gr the journalist that covered the tournament suggests in his roundup of Greece's performance Giannis to jump over some tournaments in the future? I couldn't get the sense why? Working on his game? What a stupid conclusion if it's like that.
    There are a few journalists with articles on that site. Name him so i can see what he says.

i doubt though.. At least today's post saying more or less, that although Giannis doesn't care about it, the lack of professionalism is something that bucks, and his manager do care, and his presence to the pre-olympic tournament is in doubt.
    Last edited by Valexander; 09-10-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Kemba Walker says he is not surprised at all that Giannis and GRE were eliminated. I guess even he knows that without a jumpshot you have no chance in FIBA basketball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SzgwjajcjI
    Last edited by christodoulou76; 09-10-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Why are greek journallists always like "say that Giannis is MVP, say it!" "Say nobody can keep up with him" "Say it that it was an accident that we didnt win gold" Say it I want to hear it pleaseeeeeeee!.?

In the article you cited, there is a reference to another article (see link below) which says Giannis probably won't play in OQT, Olympics (if we qualify) or Eurobasket. But he plans to play in next World Cup if GRE qualifies. Personally I don't care one way or the other. Whoever wants to play should play and I'll support those 12 players each time.

https://www.sport24.gr/Basket/Mundob...e.5593347.html

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Why are greek journallists always like "say that Giannis is MVP, say it!" "Say nobody can keep up with him" "Say it that it was an accident that we didnt win gold" Say it I want to hear it pleaseeeeeeee!.?
    I'm sure they're not the only journalists in the world who want to have their egos constantly stroked as well as those of their readers. Having an NBA MVP is a big deal and they want to talk about it as much as possible. It's annoying, but I don't see anything sinister about it.

probably you talk about this

Which is a link in the most recent article and says that, it is reasonable if Giannis skips the upcoming tournaments like pre-olympics or olympics, and eurobasket, and he will be probably available again in 2023.
    He continues saying that we should all understand, although it is sad, that it makes sense, now, he is just before signing a supermax deal, that he should focus on NBA. Besides, he has little to win in those tournaments and much more to loose, (disrespect from inside and outside greece, defensive walls, lot's of presure, etc) although he does love that fiba basketball, as it is how he was raised.

Quote Originally Posted by christodoulou76 View Post
    In the article you cited, there is a reference to another article (see link below) which says Giannis probably won't play in OQT, Olympics (if we qualify) or Eurobasket. But he plans to play in next World Cup if GRE qualifies. Personally I don't care one way or the other. Whoever wants to play should play and I'll support those 12 players each time.

This is the journalist's personal opinion. So he does not expect Giannis to show up in the OQT, Olympic Tournament and Eurobasket. There are no official statements that indicate that this estimate might be right. On the other hand the journalist reasoning is solid from my point of view. He says that Giannis has more to loose than to win in FIBA tournaments. People (opponent players, coaches like Petrovic, referees) dont show him respect and there is always the potential for an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Valexander View Post
    it is reasonable if Giannis skips the upcoming tournaments like pre-olympics or olympics, and eurobasket, and he will be probably available again in 2023.
    He continues saying that we should all understand, although it is sad, that it makes sense, now, he is just before signing a supermax deal, that he should focus on NBA. Besides, he has little to win in those tournaments and much more to loose, (disrespect from inside and outside greece, defensive walls, lot's of presure, etc) although he does love that fiba basketball, as it is how he was raised.
    Very well translated!

Thanks bro, my Greek is better than i thought. I totally disagree with journalists opinion and especially with loser like statements like disrespect of a clown like Aco Petrovic. Giannis is for sure above those idiotic childish trash talk.

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    Very well translated!
    i do believe that if i could secure a place as an interpreter of that NT, i wouldn't be the weakest part of the whole stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Having the MVP of the NBA is already great for Greek basketball. The interest level of the game has once again sky rocketed in Greece because of this player. As if we won the gold for two tournaments. Greece is playing exhibition games in full courts. Even away from Greece. Either way, Greece won because of this player. Greece should keep knocking on the door with Giannis. The medals will come in due time. That would be the cherry on the cake. But that said, basketball has changed. Lesser teams can beat better teams in tournaments like these. Nothing is for granted.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Having the MVP of the NBA is already great for Greek basketball. The interest level of the game has once again sky rocketed in Greece because of this player. As if we won the gold for two tournaments. Greece is playing exhibition games in full courts. Even away from Greece. Either way, Greece won because of this player. Greece should keep knocking on the door with Giannis. The medals will come in due time. That would be the cherry on the cake. But that said, basketball has changed. Lesser teams can beat better teams in tournaments like these. Nothing is for granted.
    from what I can see & read through the US media, Giannis is a genuinely great guy. I wish the best for him. I'm not sure if he can collect medals later on, but I hope he'll be there to fight for it every summer.

however, I think your insinuation that Brazil is a lesser team is unfair.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Let the show begin.

look my fellow greeks how greek journalists arround federation will use serbia's loss to cover our entire joke appearance.

It's like you have a severe wound, and you see someone besides you bleeding and feel somehow better.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516