Opinion: Proposal to Revive Gilas 1.0/NCC Model program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion: Proposal to Revive Gilas 1.0/NCC Model program

Since PBA cannot commit with the national team fulltime and they will not make adjustments anytime soon, i think it is high time to revive this program. i know that it will not sit well to the greedy pba and their team owners. therefore, we need to pyrsue with it without stepping the toes of many of the greedy pba owners' foot.

mine is this:

create ballclub that will compose of gilas prospects (homegrown, foreign-bred and np) and join overseas leagues like abl, nznbl, anbl or cba.

sbp should convince Chooks, MVP and another big conglomerate (preferably sm or tan group) to help them co-finance this ballclub. this will enable them to offer bigger salaries than pba if you think about it.

they should hire foreign coach here.

what are you thoughts?

this thread is solely dedicated about gilas and its future.
    Attack
    defend
    Unite

Originally posted by ja.he View Post
    Since PBA cannot commit with the national team fulltime and they will not make adjustments anytime soon, i think it is high time to revive this program. i know that it will not sit well to the greedy pba and their team owners. therefore, we need to pyrsue with it without stepping the toes of many of the greedy pba owners' foot.

mine is this:

create ballclub that will compose of gilas prospects (homegrown, foreign-bred and np) and join overseas leagues like abl, nznbl, anbl or cba.

sbp should convince Chooks, MVP and another big conglomerate (preferably sm or tan group) to help them co-finance this ballclub. this will enable them to offer bigger salaries than pba if you think about it.

they should hire foreign coach here.

what are you thoughts?

this thread is solely dedicated about gilas and its future.
    It's a noble idea. Politics and business would not make it last. Most of us probably have lived long enough to witness the fate of Gilas 1.0.

They were battered literally by Burger King (c/o Yeng Guiao and Winnie Arboleda). It's a metaphor for what's about to come if we do it that way again.

SBP and BAP's model are no different. The difference is that SBP has a solid backer with an emergency good enough team that can be assembled anytime. But essentially, nothing has changed. Politics, and business interests still rules Philippine basketball.

Comment

^^I'm all for having a Gilas 1.0 cadet team again but if were talking a complete rebuild of the program it needs to be done properly and that includes an overhaul of the PBA. Otherwise 4-5 years down the road we'll be having this same problem again. As for where that cadet team will play, the ABL is the only realistic option in terms of logistics and feasibility. Being based in the PH makes them easily available for FIBA qualifying windows and the ABL season free's up their summer/offseason to join tournaments abroad.

Comment

Ako create a cadet team.send them in nba summer league...although summer league ran smack with oqt's
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

That Gilas 1.0 cadets team is still needed the hugot system and called up PBA players when the played in tournament they trained for more than a year the 2011 FIBA ASIA Championships.

I think Alapag, Taulava, Kelly Williams and RDO who that time was still part of TNT's line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by fadzki View Post
            That Gilas 1.0 cadets team is still needed the hugot system and called up PBA players when the played in tournament they trained for more than a year the 2011 FIBA ASIA Championships.

I think Alapag, Taulava, Kelly Williams and RDO who that time was still part of TNT's line-up.
            which is still a better idea. just relegate the pba to just reinforcements. maybe 2-3 players will be enough defending on our needs.
            Attack
            defend
            Unite

Comment

Originally posted by fadzki View Post

they just need to continue the 23 fir 23 program.as feeder program for our senior team.look how the young guys responded to gilas.. 2 -3 guys being promoted eventually slowly making the team go younger...
              To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
              1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Remember that it was also the PBA who killed Gilas 1 because the league wouldn't have incoming quality players in the draft.

SBP needs a strong arm who will subdue PBA including the prominent collegiate leagues to follow them because after all they are the governing body of basketball. They can use Bong Go to inform our President so those freaking idiots governing the PBA will put them in their right places.

Comment

Originally posted by ros View Post
                  Remember that it was also the PBA who killed Gilas 1 because the league wouldn't have incoming quality players in the draft.

SBP needs a strong arm who will subdue PBA including the prominent collegiate leagues to follow them because after all they are the governing body of basketball. They can use Bong Go to inform our President so those freaking idiots governing the PBA will put them in their right places.
                  well, they can propose a bill that mandatorily obliged players, coaches and the team owners not only in basketball in every sports to represent the country and that refusal to perform should have an equivalent punishment.
                  Attack
                  defend
                  Unite

Comment

Originally posted by ros View Post

Gov't intervention is a big no-no to FIBA.

Comment

everything looks easy on perspective but in reality everything is not as feasible as it seem

create a ballclub financed by big companies - big company owner: what's in it for me? its not like anybody can urge them to shell out millions without getting back something. pba nga hindi sumasali yun iba,

proposing a bill to mandatorily obliged players to represent country - bad idea, have you seen how NBA stars snubbed their US team? it is like initiating mandatory ROTC so we will have soldiers ready for battle, mismong ROTC nga tinanggal eh
                      I am not a six footer, so I play heavy metal instead...

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo View Post
                        Gov't intervention is a big no-no to FIBA.
                        Well, I supposed it's a different case if it's the president.

Comment

Originally posted by beansent View Post
                          everything looks easy on perspective but in reality everything is not as feasible as it seem

create a ballclub financed by big companies - big company owner: what's in it for me? its not like anybody can urge them to shell out millions without getting back something. pba nga hindi sumasali yun iba,

proposing a bill to mandatorily obliged players to represent country - bad idea, have you seen how NBA stars snubbed their US team? it is like initiating mandatory ROTC so we will have soldiers ready for battle, mismong ROTC nga tinanggal eh
                          in korea, you cannot beg off that easily to participate in their national team, same with china. so i am wondering how they are doing that?

kaya nga you put that team in ABL for ROI. can you not generate revenues while playing in the league? ballclub participating in a pro league creates money since it's the better way to advertise your company unlike paying millions in a 30 second tv advertisement.
                          Attack
                          defend
                          Unite

Comment

MVP GROUP, Chooks to Go company can offer their resources to support the NT. The NT can be a regular team in the PBA ( we don't have any option which is practical) and apy the NT players same salary as regular PBA players. Schedule of PBA has to be flexible during the NT tour of duty,

Comment

For me the biggest question if we revive the Gilas-1 program would be: How much the sponsor/benefactor of the program would be willing to spend to keep the team intact?

Would the sponsor be willing to match the salary of PBA star/superstar so as to keep the National players from the lure of the PBA? My point here is that, the program would need huge amount of money to keep the team intact for a significant period. I'm strongly in favor of reviving the Gilas-1 program, but it would be very challenging, very difficult to say the least.
                              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information