19 65.52%
  • Italy (2-1)

7 24.14%
  • Puerto Rico (2-1)

1 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: [2nd round] Group J: SRB-SPA-ITA-PUR

Can't say I expected that, but massive win for Spain. Get to dodge US/Serbia until the final, get Poland in the first round. Not bad at all.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

It's great to win, but I'm pissed at the amount of minutes and effort key players had to put in today. At the very least we didn't relinquish the lead at the end, it would have hurt so much to go all in and lose.

Now I just pray for the players no to go overboard celebrating this win and forgetting how to play against Poland.

Reality check for Djordjevic. Dude was getting all cocky before the tournament, saying how the USA should be afraid of Serbia (after getting blown out in two straight finals).
    From now on it will get tougher and this wake up call might have come at exactly the right time for Serbia.

It really doesn't change much going forward, though. If the plan was to win the whole thing, they had most probably to beat the USA on the way, whether it was the semis or the final.

About Spain, I definitely underestimated them. Their basketball IQ, experience, winning mentality showing up when it's needed.
    Same thing happened in the last minutes against Italy, always poised when facing adversity. This group has faced many do-or-die battles through the years and it shows.
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    It's great to win, but I'm pissed at the amount of minutes and effort key players had to put in today. At the very least we didn't relinquish the lead at the end, it would have hurt so much to go all in and lose.

Now I just pray for the players no to go overboard celebrating this win and forgetting how to play against Poland.
    Against Poland they will get back to group stage form, but still get it done, don't worry.
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Sorry for being cheap and holding grudges, but I had this one lined up:

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Pau less Spain is so much worse that it's impossible to exaggerate this loss. Literally. I'm the one who actually was a fan of your passing generation, one of the most if not the most dominant generations fiba ever faced. But you're dreaming if you think this Spain will be anywhere close. Marc has some in the tank still, but not much. Always underperformed in FIBA anyway. Willy Hernangomez wouldn't even be among top 10 best bigs in the tournament, he's a mediorce NBA player, not even solid and elite bigs will be eating him alive, he's too soft. Your position 4 is too soft either, not that there's no Pau, but also Reyes who used to be a silent difference maker, position three is also highly questionable as Rudy is getting old and he's more of crippled talent than an athlete now and Juan is unpredictable mediocre NBA player, you wouldn't expect him to be the glue guy, high IQ system player. Backcourt is banged up with Llull and Rudy, and Rubio is now your best player, but in FIBA he's a walking lottery, you never now if you'll get absolutely mediocre performance or very solid all around game from him (because he can't shoot on consistent basis). That's just reality, Spain is no-where close to what it used to be. Period.

Sorry for being cheap and holding grudges, but I had this one lined up:

Salty

If you only gave me the same courtesy after I told you how this Spanish team will have to play and be successful. After all, I was 100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by Buzissa View Post
    Reality check for Djordjevic. Dude was getting all cocky before the tournament, saying how the USA should be afraid of Serbia (after getting blown out in two straight finals).
    From now on it will get tougher and this wake up call might have come at exactly the right time for Serbia.
    He was kidding and being sarcastic as he admitted in an interview during this championship.

Maybe it's not really a case of Spain being underestimated, but more the case of Serbia being a bit overrated? At the end of the day, who did they beat before this Spain encounter? Some obscure amateur african and asian teams and european joke team Italy?

I think that Serbia's main problem is spacing. That leads to bad shot selection (besides Bogdanovic). If Serbia knocks down the threes then they will beat everybody. Today Spain lowered the tempo and Scariolo focused on perimeter defence. Spain succeed in both of them and dismantled Serbia's offence.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Maybe it's not really a case of Spain being underestimated, but more the case of Serbia being a bit overrated? At the end of the day, who did they beat before this Spain encounter? Some obscure amateur african and asian teams and european joke team Italy?
    Maybe a bit of both things but here in Spain we didn't expect the defensive performance that they showed in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. It's just a team that has evolved in their game style being perfectly aware that the only way to keep some decent offense is having the confidence that comes from some good defensive plays.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Spain keep your foot on their throats finish this game off and then against Poland you can rest everybody. Darrell Armstrong, Mr Chacho and maybe if we find Kwijibo, can start in that game.
    If i play this tournament i would finish MVP
    BARÇA O MUERTE

Quote Originally Posted by Kwijibo View Post
    If i play this tournament i would finish MVP
    Hahahaha people miss you

Serbia still having trouble with aggressive D, then relying on outside shooting, and the end result is a lot of missed 3s that "should go in". I don't think Argentina will be too much trouble for them, but playing the states will really test their composure on offense and their perimeter D. That is, if the US get past France/Australia, who are imo a much more difficult matchup than Serbia.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Salty

If you only gave me the same courtesy after I told you how this Spanish team will have to play and be successful. After all, I was 100% correct
    Sure, if we get a medal I'll pay my dues. Let's not forget that we still haven't gotten further than in 2014 or 2010.

Sure, if we get a medal I'll pay my dues. Let's not forget that we still haven't gotten further than in 2014 or 2010.
    Yes you have you’re in the semifinals.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

@CoachZ I was unable to see the game but I'm quite surprised to see your comments towards Bogdanovic. I see he had 26 points with good efficiency while closest guy had EIGHT points, Bogdan also had 10 rebounds and 6 assists. It's a great offensive performance.

If I understand correctly, you complain about his shooting too many shots and making defensive mistakes. Bogdan I know seldom makes defensive mistakes and doesn't shy away from defensive duties. So he either changed completely as a player or he conserves energy in defense as Djordjevic plays him 35 minutes and forces almost all offense through him (number of shots)?

As I said, we know that Bogdan is not a player like Fournier that is a living trebuchet with no intention to pass. He is also not a bad player in defense in FIBA level. It's on Djordjevic to not utilize Jokic correctly and burn Bogdan out in offense. You can't do everything in offense and also be the best defender in defense.
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Oh well, congrats to Spain. Better preparation, more hustle, better coaching, simply better team on the day.
    I still remain cautiously optimistic about Serbia and about our chances of winning the whole thing, despite the evidence to the contrary.

Bogdan was excellent today, nobody else showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Yes you have you’re in the semifinals.
    Don't jinx us!

This is actually good. Wake up call for the fans and players. They already start self-proclaiming themselves as the next world champions (just check Serbian comment section on some youtube video or Serbian medias). Now we either go home in next one or two games or we go all the way through and win. Black & white situation, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    It's on Djordjevic to not utilize Jokic correctly and burn Bogdan out in offense. You can't do everything in offense and also be the best defender in defense.
    I think the problem is that you can't really utilize Jokic the same way as in Denver because you don't have the shooting, athleticism and guard play on this Serbia squad. I've always maintained that much of Jokic's success in the NBA is a product of his teammates and a great system by Malone which amplifies his gifted skillset.
    Having Jokic orchestrate from the top of the paint or outside the three point line is pointless imo because Bogdan is really the only guy you have to focus on off-ball (Bjelica some days).
    Asking Jokic to play down low and dominate is risky as it takes a toll on the body (and the no defensive 3 second rule in FIBA makes it easier to guard bigs in the paint) but I believe it is the way to go as it puts more pressure on the opposing D. But for that to be effective, guys other than Bogdan and Bjelica need to hit the open/partly-contested threes.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast