Page 47 of 95 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Euroleague/Club Competition 2019-20: Signings & Rumours - vol. I

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    Thanks to Serbian brothers for keeping this forum alive...

@CoachZ
    When you have Teo and De Colo in roster other players could be from local caffe and just capable to stand in the wall
    It's nonsence talking about defense at all with such creative players
    The basketball withdrawal is real. If I didn't stock up on classic playoff series in NBA, I would go mad. Even before this COVID-19 bullshit, I took 40 days off of basketball after Kobe died, I was just sick to my stomach and couldn't imagine watching it at that time. It all flowed into a one long break and now I am just tweaking like a junkie

Thanks to Serbian brothers for keeping this forum alive...

@CoachZ
    When you have Teo and De Colo in roster other players could be from local caffe and just capable to stand in the wall
    It's nonsence talking about defense at all with such creative players
    that's why Teo has won so many Euroleague titles? Players around him were more or less elite, not only Sg, always.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 05-08-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Well, you have to take into account that Teo/Nando lineup was light years ahead offensively anything we have seen in modern Euroleague history, so defensively they do not have to be dominant. Fener doesn't have that luxury offensively, with only 1 player that can create his own shot or others. I agree that Vesely is overpaid, but things will not magically be fixed with a good rim protector.
    You believe that Teo in this year's roster would have changed Fener to the title contender?
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    You believe that Teo in this year's roster would have changed Fener to the title contender?
    No, but Teo 4 years ago would be a huge impact for sure.

Teo didn't won many EL titles because he choked hard in crucial games not because he didn't carry the teams to the finals. That's why he never will be considered as one of the best PGs of Europe even the class is undoubtfully there. He lost literally 3 crucial games by his own at F4s, in fact 4 but his airball against Partizan in 2010 F4 semifinal found Childress at the rim (luckily)

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    No, but Teo 4 years ago would be a huge impact for sure.

Teo didn't won many EL titles because he choked hard in crucial games not because he didn't carry the teams to the finals. That's why he never will be considered as one of the best PGs of Europe even the class is undoubtfully there. He lost literally 3 crucial games by his own at F4s, in fact 4 but his airball against Partizan in 2010 F4 semifinal found Childress at the rim (luckily)
    Changing Vesely with Tavares would have had huge impact too and we don't need to go 4 years in the past. Put Vesely in Real and Real is suddenly very average team.
    previously known as Beno

Changing Vesely with Tavares would have had huge impact too and we don't need to go 4 years in the past. Put Vesely in Real and Real is suddenly very average team.
    Ok, you build a team and have to take either Calathes or Vesely who would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Ok, you build a team and have to take either Calathes or Vesely who would you choose?
    Is this even a question? If Jasikevicius is saying, that Calathes is pretty much unstoppable and he will have his number one way or another, you have to respect his words. Calathes with average shot would be NBA 20-25min player.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Calathes, he's basketball player. Vesely isn't.
    previously known as Beno

Calathes, he's basketball player. Vesely isn't.
    Calathes is more expensive too

I would like Calathes in Fener but I am ok with Vesely staying too. Just not happy with his position. He isn't classic center but he isn't forward too. I would describe him as glue guy in paint
    But it's obvious that he isn't the same player after injury, like he lost his spirit I don't know.

Calathes is more expensive too

I would like Calathes in Fener but I am ok with Vesely staying too. Just not happy with his position. He isn't classic center but he isn't forward too. I would describe him as glue guy in paint
    But it's obvious that he isn't the same player after injury, like he lost his spirit I don't know.
    What is it specifically about his game you think has gotten worse ?

Teodosic would've impacted the Fener offense a lot (if he is healthy), so much more space for guys like Kalinic, Datome, Sloukas etc. I believe with him in the team, they have at least 3-4 wins more.

DeColo is also past prime now compared to then, like Teodosic. Two of them in their prime, around them guys like Higgins, Kurbanov, Hines, Vons etc. is just a killer combination. Even with the defensive deficiencies of the backcourt duo, they are still a net positive team due to huge offensive deviation to the rest of the field.

I think it is very wrong to look to guys like Calathes etc. Nick is 31 years old, yes he is in great shape but his game on defense and offense really depends on his strength and athleticism. This is an area where he is going to decline sharply any year now. Let's say he has an extended prime to 33-34 max, and that is the best scenario. He is way too expensive to sign now. You sign him when he comes back from the US etc.

Fenerbahce in order to right the ship has to take a chance on some younger players (not kids, but let's say players that have not reached their development peak) that will pay dividends over the years. The expectations are that their budgets will be slashed a bit, so it is a perfect time to put together a younger team, that will try to utilize players that are hungry, need guidance and development and pair them with veterans that will lead by example. Being stuck with contracts of Sloukas, Vesely, DeColo, they should try to find players that are a good investment for the future and the future core of the team as these 3 age out, and some quality role players.

Get a defensive pass first player at PG, get a 3&D player on the wing that is athletic and doesn't need the ball in his hands. Get a center that can move around, protect the rim and pass the ball to others. Find a guy that is a perfect microwave scorer for the second unit to run with Sloukas and keep the team in games when DeColo is on the bench.

Those are things that make sense...

Get a defensive pass first player at PG, get a 3&D player on the wing that is athletic and doesn't need the ball in his hands. Get a center that can move around, protect the rim and pass the ball to others. Find a guy that is a perfect microwave scorer for the second unit to run with Sloukas and keep the team in games when DeColo is on the bench.

Those are things that make sense...
    That would be the best possible scenario for this team and least painful. But in this moment we don't know nothing about strategy, we don't even know who is the coach of this team, who is gm etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Gman365 View Post
    What is it specifically about his game you think has gotten worse ?
    I think everything is about his head. His main quality was such strong energy on the court, from Partizan time until last season. I don't see that anymore

Fenerbahce in order to right the ship has to take a chance on some younger players (not kids, but let's say players that have not reached their development peak) that will pay dividends over the years. The expectations are that their budgets will be slashed a bit, so it is a perfect time to put together a younger team, that will try to utilize players that are hungry, need guidance and development and pair them with veterans that will lead by example. Being stuck with contracts of Sloukas, Vesely, DeColo, they should try to find players that are a good investment for the future and the future core of the team as these 3 age out, and some quality role players.
    Who are those players for example? Grigonis, Walkup look kindda like your written players - defensive pass first Walkup, microwave scorer Grigonis. Any examples? And also, who would be a nice EL prospect for Zalgiris in your opinion? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
    Who are those players for example? Grigonis, Walkup look kindda like your written players - defensive pass first Walkup, microwave scorer Grigonis. Any examples? And also, who would be a nice EL prospect for Zalgiris in your opinion? Thanks.
    Grigonis would be a great pickup for Fener, because he has the upside, he doesn't have a big ego and could take a smaller role as he grows into a more important one is such a club. Walkup I would not call a pass-first guy, since he is a combo scoring guard more than a true PG. His defense is overrated and in terms of creating out of PnR he is far from elite. Guys like Tonye Jekiri from Asvel would be a great pickup for Fener. Absolute monster on the boards, excellent defender in the paint. Young, still developing player that will at worst be a solid EL starter. Ponitka from Zenit would be another great addition on the wing. A guy that is a supreme rebounder and penetrator from the position and can hit the 3. Hard worker, high character guy.

When it comes to Zalgiris, you have a same story like Zvezda, and that is to try to balance playing local talent and getting imports that are not big names yet but could be. That is the only recipe that works for teams like ours and our budgets. Some smart things to consider.

- Try to get Aaron White back from Milano. You need athleticism and stretch from the PF spot, and the downfall of Jankunas is opening a space for him. Keeping and LeDay would be a solid option there. Other solid options would be Whittington from Galatasaray. Excellent PF with range, athleticism and can even rim protect.
    - Try to get Geidraitis back to Lithuania from Alba Berlin. Having guys like Grigonis and Gedraitis on the wings will create a looooot of space in the play and they will not collapse on defense and get destroyed. Big wing guys, with excellent shot and range, smart/low turnover players.
    - You need a center who is a different profile from Landale. Someone that is going to kill it in the Pick'n'Roll and actually act as a rim protector. Johnathan Hamilton from Darusafaka is somebody who immediately comes to mind.

Zalgiris has to follow upcoming guys on all positions and get ready to pounce and upgrade the roster. Let go of some players as their salary demands grow. For example, in terms of guards, I really like Alex Hamilton from Maccabi Rishon Lezion. He played in Lithuania a year before that. Kid's making moves.

Quote Originally Posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
    Well.. mix of Zalgiris and Fener could be winner combination, that's true. The best possible solution would be Saras to Fener and some players from Zalgiris here. I suppose he would bring much better Americans too.
    Fener in Obradovic era had just one from ten decent American. Beside that Udoh was Nigerian-American

If Obradovic stays we will continue with Sloukas, Kalinic and probably Williams. We need cut asap

The best possible solution would be Obra with new roster but he is such stubborn guy and that will never gona happen. So, new coach and new roster with just De Colo, Datome and Vesely staying.

Grigonis would be a great pickup for Fener, because he has the upside, he doesn't have a big ego and could take a smaller role as he grows into a more important one is such a club. Walkup I would not call a pass-first guy, since he is a combo scoring guard more than a true PG. His defense is overrated and in terms of creating out of PnR he is far from elite. Guys like Tonye Jekiri from Asvel would be a great pickup for Fener. Absolute monster on the boards, excellent defender in the paint. Young, still developing player that will at worst be a solid EL starter. Ponitka from Zenit would be another great addition on the wing. A guy that is a supreme rebounder and penetrator from the position and can hit the 3. Hard worker, high character guy.
    I am just imaging you instead of Gherardini We could win at least one title more until now

This is joke but not that far from the truth
    Last edited by janketa; 05-09-2020 at 12:15 PM.

I am just imaging you instead of Gherardini We could win at least one title more until now

This is joke but not that far from the truth
    Some people would say that I hate Fener and Turks, and would ruin the club on purpose

Joking aside, I do think that if Fener is getting a lower budget, than the ambitions have to go down a bit as well. That means there is room to make more future-oriented moves that might not yield results in the first or second season. Therefore, it is time to go with some younger players, eager to improve and prove themselves.

Some people would say that I hate Fener and Turks, and would ruin the club on purpose

Joking aside, I do think that if Fener is getting a lower budget, than the ambitions have to go down a bit as well. That means there is room to make more future-oriented moves that might not yield results in the first or second season. Therefore, it is time to go with some younger players, eager to improve and prove themselves.
    I agree but we need smart scouting in first place and smart coaching after that. In this moment we don't have nothing, even money is a problem as you know.

Somebody here said like Kutlay as gm is wrong or suspicious move. I say let the guy chance to do something different, he was great player imo which means he has the winner mentality. That doesn't mean he will be great manager or coach, but it's worth of try.

Page 47 of 95 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast