Page 46 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Euroleague/Club Competition 2019-20: Signings & Rumours - vol. I

I mean, on the cursedness scale, we are not that bad. If we define cursedness as spending money but not having success, Efes until last year and Milano were much worse. More titles could have been nice but only other F4 we should have won (in terms of team strength) was the one in Berlin, and we know what happened there.
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

There is a huge difference between Fener and all other powerhouses as Fener came out of nowhere and had to be build. You simply cannot compare them with CSKA, Real and Barcelona, PAO or Olympiakos when Obradovic began to coach them.

It's difficult to tell, besides all, if one title is a success or not. The F4 format is very tricky, Fener was one travel away from winning the title against CSKA. Their generation now has come to an end and they obviously have challenges in rebuilding but without any doubt if budgets stay like they are they will be one of the favourites in the next year with or without Obradovic, with or without Gherardini, with or without domestic players, with or without believing in it from interbasket forum. I don't have any doubts in that. The most crucial part was putting them on the map of big European teams.

I don't like Obradovic like I have told here a lot of times, but it's more because of his character than because of his coaching skills. Calling him not worthy to coach Fener, not following trends etc. makes me simply just laugh.

https://twitter.com/arbues6/status/1257304617068556289

Interesting look at the most efficient Euroleague lineups. 157.2 OER from that CSKA lineup is otherworldly.
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Fener has been a legit powerhouse in recent years....The one title is enough to validate them in my opinion.....

I even liked the roster this year better than most people on here but they had issues making the pieces fit together.......They were still in a playoff spot despite their issues though......

Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    https://twitter.com/arbues6/status/1257304617068556289

Interesting look at the most efficient Euroleague lineups. 157.2 OER from that CSKA lineup is otherworldly.
    Zvezda's 2016 lineup was beast on defense. Total dominance!

Maccabi is interested for Kalinic.

It's good to see some rumors about Fener, while Koc, Obradovic and Gherardini are sleeping at least other teams are working something.

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    Maccabi is interested for Kalinic.

It's good to see some rumors about Fener, while Koc, Obradovic and Gherardini are sleeping at least other teams are working something.
    That would be a great move for Maccabi. Regardless of a weaker season last year for Fener, he is incredibly useful player that doesn't require the ball and perfect for what Maccabi is trying to do. They add size and defense on the wing, and a utility knife to let the stars be stars. I have to say that last 2 seasons Maccabi is doing a much, much better job building a team to compete. This would be another step in the right direction. Kalinic is about to turn 29, he has several more years of quality level basketball and being elite in his best facets of the game, defense, transition, flexible positions etc.

On the other hand, letting Kalinic go in no way helps Fener. Who will pick up his defensive slack and at an affordable contract?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    That would be a great move for Maccabi. Regardless of a weaker season last year for Fener, he is incredibly useful player that doesn't require the ball and perfect for what Maccabi is trying to do. They add size and defense on the wing, and a utility knife to let the stars be stars. I have to say that last 2 seasons Maccabi is doing a much, much better job building a team to compete. This would be another step in the right direction. Kalinic is about to turn 29, he has several more years of quality level basketball and being elite in his best facets of the game, defense, transition, flexible positions etc.

On the other hand, letting Kalinic go in no way helps Fener. Who will pick up his defensive slack and at an affordable contract?
    They can buy real C and let Vesely to do what he does best, a bit expensive, but he’s on the payroll anyway.
    previously known as Beno

Some Maccabi news until now :

stay 100% - Wilbekin, Hunter, Zoosman, John D, Cohen and Casspi.

leave 100% - Jackson, Reynolds, Stoudmaire and Avdija.

Question Mark? - Caloiaro, Acy and Wolters (all the 3 will probably leave), Black (probably stay), Cohen III (will stay if he will get an Israeli nationality)

Contract with NBA option - Dorsey (can sign ONLY with NBA team until 31.7), Bryant (has a contract with NBA option, probably also until 31.7).

Leading candidtaes until now :
    1. Ante Zizic (if Black will stay, he is no longer relevant)
    2. Kostas Papanikolao
    3. T.J Leaf (Israeli Nationtality)
    4. Kevin Pangos
    5. Nigel Williams Goss
    6. Nikola Kalinic
    7. Kostas Sloukas
    8. Ryan Broekhoff
    9. Tomer Ginat (Israeli Player)
    Best European Basketball Highlights Channel - AGHighlights
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJ..._as=subscriber

Any opinion about Nick Weiler-Babb? He's one of the candidates to Zalgiris.

Also, is William-Goss free agent?
    Last edited by ZalgirisFanForLife; 05-06-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    They can buy real C and let Vesely to do what he does best, a bit expensive, but he’s on the payroll anyway.
    Yes, they could buy a center and make Vesely play PF where he is probably more dominant defensively. That still does not solve their No. 1 issue. Yes, Vesely has lost some quickness and defensive dominance, but he was much more exposed due to terrible perimeter defense. Outside of Kalinic, not a single player on that roster can play elite perimeter defense consistently. Sloukas can do it here and there, Datome is more of a switch guy than 1 on 1 defender. Regardless who they bring in at center, they will not improve unless they get a guard and a wing that can defend well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
    Any opinion about Nick Weiler-Babb? He's one of the candidates to Zalgiris.

Also, is William-Goss free agent?
    Williams-Goss signed a 3-year contract with Utah Jazz at the beginning of the season. That means, he has two more years on the contract. It's a question whether it's a fully guaranteed contract, or they can cut him at any time (which NBA teams often do with fringe NBA players).

Nick Weiler-Babb is an extremely inefficient scorer on the wing, in a league (Germany) where everyone is putting up numbers and crazy percentages. I think he is at least a year or two away from actually being considered a legit prospect for the EL...

I didn't like Kalinic from the start, but I learned to like him and he deserved that. Thanks to him for great game in the final and for beautifull night.
    But... This season was awful and he was awful. Not talking about one or two games but the whole fucking season. I don't know what is the reason but I think the best possible scenario for him and for Fener is to try somewhere else. Maybe Maccabi is the best option for him. Armani could be a mistake

Yes, they could buy a center and make Vesely play PF where he is probably more dominant defensively. That still does not solve their No. 1 issue. Yes, Vesely has lost some quickness and defensive dominance, but he was much more exposed due to terrible perimeter defense. Outside of Kalinic, not a single player on that roster can play elite perimeter defense consistently. Sloukas can do it here and there, Datome is more of a switch guy than 1 on 1 defender. Regardless who they bring in at center, they will not improve unless they get a guard and a wing that can defend well.
    Cska was winning championships with Teo/Nando and Chacho/Nando, you cannot find much worse defenders on guard position, so Fener should be ok with Kalinic/Vesely and a rim protector. Paying 2.4 mio for a player, who can switch everything, but is not a rim protector, not a great rebounder and without any kind of offensive game will bring you irresolvable problems. Add Udoh and you suddenly have very good defensive team, but then you don’t need to pay 2.4 mio for a Pf, who just defends. Vesely with his payroll is Fener’s biggest problem.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    I didn't like Kalinic from the start, but I learned to like him and he deserved that. Thanks to him for great game in the final and for beautifull night.
    But... This season was awful and he was awful. Not talking about one or two games but the whole fucking season. I don't know what is the reason but I think the best possible scenario for him and for Fener is to try somewhere else. Maybe Maccabi is the best option for him. Armani could be a mistake
    I think this is a pretty fair conclusion. Kalinic peaked around 2016-17 when he was an essential part of a fantastic defense of zvezda and of Serbia's national team, still now I am not sure if he played over his level that time or not. He is not talented attacker, but he is a very hard worker and plays 100% every time. The problem is surely that he is a little overconfident about those things he can't do and that all this success in Fener and national team made him believe he is better than he really is. Besides all a player that most teams would love to see in their roster.

Legendary coach Vlade Djurovic said it the best way one time in Serbian TV by analyzing Kalinic's game. He is one of the few players that can get into the head of the opponents, he talks trash all the time, they hate him and want to beat him up and are not realizing that this is a part of his game plan and he got better when they stopped focusing and get into his circle. Personally I consider his behavior a scandal, especially last year in Fenerbahce in some moments. It got worse.

I think he has 2-3 good years ahead of him if he choses the right team. He slowed down a little bit with his media exposure. Personally I consider it a huge problem that he is a person that wants to speak about everything loudly and proudly (not important if connected with basketball or not) and that he thinks that he is more intelligent than at least his attitude/acta et verba suggests. I am pretty sure some coaches would have problems to handle his character.

Nick Weiler-Babb is an extremely inefficient scorer on the wing, in a league (Germany) where everyone is putting up numbers and crazy percentages. I think he is at least a year or two away from actually being considered a legit prospect for the EL...
    You saw him playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Cska was winning championships with Teo/Nando and Chacho/Nando, you cannot find much worse defenders on guard position, so Fener should be ok with Kalinic/Vesely and a rim protector. Paying 2.4 mio for a player, who can switch everything, but is not a rim protector, not a great rebounder and without any kind of offensive game will bring you irresolvable problems. Add Udoh and you suddenly have very good defensive team, but then you don’t need to pay 2.4 mio for a Pf, who just defends. Vesely with his payroll is Fener’s biggest problem.
    Well, you have to take into account that Teo/Nando lineup was light years ahead offensively anything we have seen in modern Euroleague history, so defensively they do not have to be dominant. Fener doesn't have that luxury offensively, with only 1 player that can create his own shot or others. I agree that Vesely is overpaid, but things will not magically be fixed with a good rim protector.

Quote Originally Posted by AMJA View Post
    You saw him playing?
    Watched a few Ludwigsburg games on BBL youtube channel. Like I said, he does have the physical tools for a solid wing player, but still extremely inconsistent and inefficient scorer. His defensive effort didn't get me excited either...

Thanks to Serbian brothers for keeping this forum alive...

@CoachZ
    When you have Teo and De Colo in roster other players could be from local caffe and just capable to stand in the wall
    It's nonsence talking about defense at all with such creative players

And now, important day at 24th. The El will decided if they can resume as a final 8 in Serbia, or other location.
    Many teams need to resume due to an economic situation.

Maccabi can be shut down without EL and crowd next season
    2019/2020:
    PG: Dorsey, Walters, S. Cohen
    SG: Wilbekin, D-Ba, Bryant
    SF:Casspi, Avdija, Zoosman
    PF: Acy, Coloiaro, J. Cohen
    PF: Black, Hunter

Page 46 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast