Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Eurobasket final ever

So which one do you think is it?

For me, and notwithstanding some indecision, it's the 1995 one. The drama that took place that day in that court, basketball-wise and regarding emotions especially portrayed by Sabas and some Lith players, is beyond description. Also Đorđević's attitude inviting Liths to play was touching as well. And adding to all of that several true European legends on both sides played there.

PS: I included just four finals from the top of my head, if you consider others deserving to be included just say so.
    1987 - Greece vs USSR
    0%
    1993 - Germany vs Russia
    0%
    1995 - Yugoslavia vs Lithuania
    0%
    2007 - Russia vs Spain
    0%
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

I couldn't vote 4 anything else than 1987. It's not because my country won, but because this match(and tournament in general) marked the emerge of a new power in european bball. In terms of bball played the best game was the 1995 final. However, certain facts from this tournament prevent me from voting 4 this match as best Eurobasket final. If we were talking about the best massacre in european bball, it would have my vote hands down.
    The 1993 game was similar 2 the 1987 one, but Germany couldn't follow up this success like Greece did. Last year's match was an intense and interesting game, but rather poor in quality compared 2 the others.
    Last, but not least, another reason 4 voting in favor of 1987 is that this game is the main reason that me and most of the greek posters here have joined this forum(I guess all non-Greeks will just hate that match 4 bringing all of us Greeks in here ).
    Your time is up my time is now,
    you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Comment

This is a tricky question. According to the logic Liths should vote for 1995, Greeks for 1987 and everyone else in between. But for me the best game is the one which i want to remember for some reason, watch it over and over, enjoy the moments, great plays and emotions. Well....the fact is that i almost erased from my memory the year 1995 ( though it was a tremendous game) so i vote for 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan van Grabski
        This is a tricky question. According to the logic Liths should vote for 1995, Greeks for 1987 and everyone else in between. But for me the best game is the one which i want to remember for some reason, watch it over and over, enjoy the moments, great plays and emotions. Well....the fact is that i almost erased from my memory the year 1995 ( though it was a tremendous game) so i vote for 1987.
        Liths lost in 1995, so we hate that game. I am ashamed I never saw 1987 game cause I born that year I will download it and watch it soon, for now I voted for 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Test
          Liths lost in 1995, so we hate that game. I am ashamed I never saw 1987 game cause I born that year I will download it and watch it soon, for now I voted for 2007.
          The problem is not that u lost, it's what happened so that u should lose.

Comment

Originally posted by T.W.Is.M.
            The problem is not that u lost, it's what happened so that u should lose.
            Normal they lost. The best european team was not allowed to play for 3 years. In 95 they allowed us to play again and we get back what we deserv.

Comment

I couldn't vote 4 anything else than 1987. It's not because my country won, but because this match(and tournament in general) marked the emerge of a new power in european bball. In terms of bball played the best game was the 1995 final. However, certain facts from this tournament prevent me from voting 4 this match as best Eurobasket final. If we were talking about the best massacre in european bball, it would have my vote hands down.
              The 1993 game was similar 2 the 1987 one, but Germany couldn't follow up this success like Greece did. Last year's match was an intense and interesting game, but rather poor in quality compared 2 the others.
              Last, but not least, another reason 4 voting in favor of 1987 is that this game is the main reason that me and most of the greek posters here have joined this forum(I guess all non-Greeks will just hate that match 4 bringing all of us Greeks in here ).
              Yeah it was a massacre from Djordjevic against Lithuania. And at the top of all this was the Dunk from Danilovic over Sabonis.

You should stop to talk shit all day long. We beat every team at this EC and deserved to win the title. We beat Lithuania and Greece 2 times in this tournament. And yes Greece once again ended up as 4th. In the next years we continued with our dominance. And in 96 we beat Lithuania in Atlanta in the 1/2 final of the olympics.

Comment

Well, I totally agree that the jugo team of the tournament was special but I cannot overlook the fact that the refs were not on top shape on the final game.

As for the best final, it is hard to say. In 1987 there was a high scoring game and big suspense but it would have been better if the game was in a neutral venue. The 1995 final was spoiled by the bad refereeing. The 2007 wasn't that great of a game, and the 1993 one wasn't special either. I am indecisive.
                The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

I can't understand how people can vote for 1995 game. It was one of the worst game in modern basketball history. Referees made more mistakes than New York Knicks team in ten years.

Comment

For me just watching the quality of the BBall played, 1995 final was the best. That Yug generation was simply awesome but the liths with Sabas and co were outstanding too, so my vote is clearly for that final.

But i have to admit that if that last shot of Gasol in the last second would have got into the basket (as the one of Holden did), my vote would have been different
                    I KISS BASKET

Comment

Originally posted by Buducnost PG
                      Yeah it was a massacre from Djordjevic against Lithuania. And at the top of all this was the Dunk from Danilovic over Sabonis.

You should stop to talk shit all day long. We beat every team at this EC and deserved to win the title. We beat Lithuania and Greece 2 times in this tournament. And yes Greece once again ended up as 4th. In the next years we continued with our dominance. And in 96 we beat Lithuania in Atlanta in the 1/2 final of the olympics.
                      I didn't mention Greece anywhere, u did. Only u know why u did that.
                      Nobody said anything about the 1996 Olympics. This was a clear victory and Yugoslavia's performance in the final against Dream Team III(which I consider very close 2 the original Dream Team talentwise) was outstanding. I admired the Yugoslavian players at that day.
                      I also admired Djordjevic 4 his performance in this final. But he wasn't the only one who played well.
                      I didn't say a word about the unfair ban on Yugoslavia for 3 years from international competition. Others decided that and this decision was terrible.
                      So where is that shit talking u claim? That I believe that your team didn't win fairly? I guess we r entitled 2 have our opinion about certain matches, tournaments, officiating etc. U think u deserved the gold medal. Fine, u can believe that. The bad thing is that the majority of the fans didn't at the time.
                      There is no point in talking about that tournament again. I mean, if we express our opinions freely, one will think we were watching different matches!

Comment

1987 did not only change Greek sports history, but European basketball history as well. The Greeks created a very strong league in the ninetees with big contracts and brought over the first great stars of the NBA.

Basketball beacame more professional as time went by and I believe Greece played an important role in that.

I think that Greece's victory also had a great impact on countries like Turkey, since rivalary at the time was immense. Much more so than today.

Don't get me wrong though. Overall I think we european basketball fans owe most to the former Yugoslavia and the USSR for the popularity of our sport today.

But to put an emphasis on one game. I would say the game of 1987.
                        PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

The 1993 game was similar 2 the 1987 one, but Germany couldn't follow up this success like Greece did.
                          I clearly remember Germany as being the underdogs, despite having the most balanced NT ever. It was the first Eurobasket final I recall watching, and I remember it was a thrilling final until the end. I rooted for the Russians. A pity that generation of players ended up not winning anything and a pity as well Germany's victory did not make a follow up.
                          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                            I clearly remember Germany as being the underdogs, despite having the most balanced NT ever. It was the first Eurobasket final I recall watching, and I remember it was a thrilling final until the end. I rooted for the Russians. A pity that generation of players ended up not winning anything and a pity as well Germany's victory did not make a follow up.
                            I would have to say that the best eurobasket final was the 1987 final. That is when i realised how much i loved this sport. High scoring, close score throughout the game, overtime, 2 free throws for Kabouris 4 seconds before the end....what i game.Makes the hair on the back of my neck crawl. Plus Galis was at his absolut best. For all those that might have not seen Galis in action look for his videos in youtube you will not regret it.
                            1995 final was a bad game in general. The only thing that sticks in my mind was the bad reffering, the booing of the Yougoslavian national anthem by the Greeks (how stupid can people be?) and the rocks the serbs were throwing at the Greek embassy in Belgrade the same night while chanting in chorus Macedonia Macedonia! lol We just love to hate each other!

Cheers!

Comment

best final 2003
                              most dramatic 1995
                              worst 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information