David Blatt was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Blatt was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis

We are all behind you David! Get well soon!!!

Blatt shakes on his health problem: "I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis"

Shocking letter from David Blatt, which reveals the health problem he faces and sends a message of power and battle.

The Olympiacos coach wanted to share his personal problem with the rest of the world and did so by following the letter through the team's official website.

In detail what the Red Riding Hood coach writes:

“Sometimes your life throws things at you, which in fact have no explanation, meaning or reason. These are the moments that force you to recognize that you have to make choices that will test your true character.

A few months ago I was diagnosed with PPMS (Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis). This disease has many forms and manifests in different ways in every person. It is an autoimmune disease, which can and does indeed change in many ways your quality and your ability to even perform basic functions in ways that have always seemed normal to you.

When I was overwhelmed by the initial shock and pain of knowing that it would change and my life could change from now on, I decided I wasn't going to give up on anything. All I would do would be to adjust and find new ways to continue my life as naturally as possible.

The first thing I did was to look at basketball training methodology in terms of how to solve and overcome difficulties. My process has three steps. 1) What's the problem? 2) Why did it happen? 3) How do we fix it?

Well, the problem is PPMS, which in my case and age first manifests with weakness in the legs. Fatigue, balance and strength are real issues for me. I have started a special training for strength and balance, as well as swimming and aquatic exercises, in order to improve my overall physical condition and help my muscular flexibility and movement. I try to be more active, even when it comes to simple movements, so as not to allow the muscles to contract. I challenge myself to do simple functions that are easy for most but most demanding most of the time for me. I work. I maintain and require more of myself, not less.

Why did it happen? The reason one can suffer from this disease is unknown. As no specific reason or explanation has been given, what remains is to accept what it is and focus on how to do the best it can with the available 'resources' to improve its condition. From today and into the future ... It's easy to fall into depression and physical lethargy. This battle is real and continuous and uninterrupted, as there is no cure for this disease. But they are not deadly. There are people who have to face much greater challenges and have to fight their own battles. Everyone must have the courage and determination not to give up, to move forward and live a life of the highest quality possible. Forget the 'why' in this case. It is not a question that can be answered. Focus on the aftermath.

How do we fix it? Let's get to work. We make a plan. We work hard every day. We hold our head high. We adapt, differentiate, and look for ways to improve or maintain. We are training. We find people who can share it and help us. We are open and honest with ourselves and with those who strive to gain knowledge. We do not hide or shy away from the perception of sensitivity. I am blessed with the support of so many good and dear people. Those whose support and help make me realize that even in the days when I show and function differently, I remain a human being. Those who don't let me forget this, not even when I'm a little 'psychologically fallen' or discouraged. Being sorry for yourself offers nothing, instead cultivating and encouraging a downward path from which it is even harder to climb.

I'm a coach and my job is to lead, teach, and inspire a lot of people. Not being agile or active does not affect my mental ability to do these things. I'm lucky. I have great doctors, coaches, physiotherapists, and management that accept my dysfunctions and help me overcome them. How can I complain? Under no circumstances can and will not. It would be a waste of energy and as soon as I ask my players and the chef to be the best version of themselves, I have to ask or more correctly demand that I do exactly the same.

The great John Wooden once said: 'Things are better for people who do the best no matter what.' My situation is not a ... picnic, but many have a harder time. It is my responsibility to set an example for everyone, to continue their lives in the best way possible and never, ever, but never to surrender or to give up. "
    Συγκλονιστική επιστολή του Ντέιβιντ Μπλατ, ο οποίος αποκαλύπτει το πρόβλημα υγείας που αντιμετωπίζει και στέλνει μήνυμα δύναμης και μάχης.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

David Blatt reaction is inspiring. In the modern world, way too often people give up or getting depressed because of minor, fixable issues. But not David, no matter how many punches he will receive, he will stand up, fight back and continue his journey.

David always has been one of the more inspiring characters in Israeli basketball.
    He started at a small clubs in Israel and reached the NBA finals.

When he was moved off his role as Maccabi head coach at 2003 back to an assistant position to make a place for Pini Gershon. I'm sure he was offended, but he didn't let his pride speak. He did a great season as an assistant (In his book Saras claims that he was more influential than Gershon) won the title of 2004 as an assistant + 10 years later was able to grab the title with Maccabi as a head coach with one of the least talented teams to do so.

When his position as Israel NT coach was canceled because he didn't have the right diploma, he didn't run his mouth about how crazy the decision was. He finds himself a job at Russia NT, got European Championship + Olympic medal with an underdog team.

Hopefully, this fighting spirit will translate to the world outside of basketball as well

Comment

Thanks for that, Metec.

Comment

I didn't know those anecdotes, but Blatt seems like a great guy. It's a shame this happened, but his fighting spirit can slow the illness hopefully. All the best to him and his family.
        Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
        Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
        Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
        Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

David Blatt is a fantastic person and a fantastic coach and I wouldn't underestimate Olympiakos this year, no one considers them and perhaps this is an error.

They won't play in the local league, thus they can dedicate all their physical and mental forces to the euroleague. Milutinov is still there, Ethan Happ seems quite a talented 4-5 and they have added a lot of USA guards, Spanoulis won't be indispensable any more.

Of course the owners have to pay (almost) punctually the salaries.
          Last edited by ronmercer80; 08-20-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Metec View Post
            David Blatt reaction is inspiring. In the modern world, way too often people give up or getting depressed because of minor, fixable issues. But not David, no matter how many punches he will receive, he will stand up, fight back and continue his journey.

David always has been one of the more inspiring characters in Israeli basketball.
            He started at a small clubs in Israel and reached the NBA finals.

When he was moved off his role as Maccabi head coach at 2003 back to an assistant position to make a place for Pini Gershon. I'm sure he was offended, but he didn't let his pride speak. He did a great season as an assistant (In his book Saras claims that he was more influential than Gershon) won the title of 2004 as an assistant + 10 years later was able to grab the title with Maccabi as a head coach with one of the least talented teams to do so.

When his position as Israel NT coach was canceled because he didn't have the right diploma, he didn't run his mouth about how crazy the decision was. He finds himself a job at Russia NT, got European Championship + Olympic medal with an underdog team.

Hopefully, this fighting spirit will translate to the world outside of basketball as well
            i wish all the best for him ! technically hi is an overrated mediocre coach , but now all his personal skills are much more important to win this life-match . i guess he will be followed by israeli scientist, the best in world, come on david!

Comment

Originally posted by maccabeo View Post
              technically hi is an overrated mediocre coach
              LOL

i guess he will be followed by israeli scientist, the best in world, come on david!
              Actually Israeli doctors almost murdered him by operating surgery on his back

It was Oly's medical staff that found out his disease

Comment

Originally posted by papalouki-louk View Post
                LOL

Actually Israeli doctors almost murdered him by operating surgery on his back

It was Oly's medical staff that found out his disease
                If true, kudos to Oly's medical staff.

I laugh too when Blatt is called a mediocre coach. He's acheived quite a bit in his career with lesser teams like Maccabi and Russia to say the least.

1 bad season doesnt define a career.

Comment

Best wishes to Coach Blatt and his family. His coaching record speaks for itself and he's clearly a really good person.

When I heard this news on Monday I thought back to a couple of things. I remember a few years ago a poster on here observing that Blatt's hand was shaking while drawing up a play during a playoff game for Maccabi. And also, a book about LeBron's return to Cleveland again mentions his hand shaking during a timeout. It's interesting that it took until recently for him to be diagnosed when people watching his games had seemingly observed these tremors.

Comment

Amazing personality, very good coach. He's a big fan of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. Hope he gets well soon, wish him all the best.

Comment

David Blatt Leaves Olympiacos..

Comment

Sorry i just noticed this was already talked about in another threat...

Mod can feel free to delete this....

Comment

dont know yet if he desided to leave beacuse of his problems (i wish him all the best !) or if oly decided to break up the contract, anyway he is on of most overrated coach ever. id never bring him for any euro team

Comment

Originally posted by maccabeo View Post
                            dont know yet if he desided to leave beacuse of his problems (i wish him all the best !) or if oly decided to break up the contract, anyway he is on of most overrated coach ever. id never bring him for any euro team
                            Yeah to be honest i wasn't really impressed with his run in Oly either.

Comment

David Blatt returns to basketball, as The New York Knicks' basketball operations consultant.

that's a tough-sounding job. Best of luck to him.
                              5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information