Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your team's expectations: Success, Acceptable and Failure

Major success: SF
    Success: winning over AUS/CAN, losing in a tight match against France, putting up a fight in the QF vs. USA.
    Acceptable: getting crushed in the QF vs. USA
    FAILURE: losing against Greece AGAIN in the QF
    Not acceptable: not getting out of the 2nd group
    SHUT IT DOWN BOYS: Anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
    FAILURE: losing against Greece AGAIN in the QF
    Imo it's not a failure but the most expected outcome if we cross each other. It could be a failure if you think that Lithuania is clearly a better team, which could be the case in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    Imo it's not a failure but the most expected outcome if we cross each other. It could be a failure if you think that Lithuania is clearly a better team, which could be the case in 2017.
    No,I don't think Lithuania is a much better team, I think Greece is a better team. But the most expected outcome? I think the chances are 60-40.
    And because Lithuania lost to Greece in 2017 (which wasn't a better team then), players must want revenge. Dropping out due Greece (which isn't on USA, Serbia, Spain or France level) two tournaments in a row would be devastating.

Turkey

Major Success: Semi final or automatic Olympics quali
    Success: Quarter finals because Greece. OQT.
    Acceptable: Going to second group and die fighting lol
    Failure: Loss against Czechia or Japan. I can already see news titles
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

No,I don't think Lithuania is a much better team, I think Greece is a better team. But the most expected outcome? I think the chances are 60-40.
    And because Lithuania lost to Greece in 2017 (which wasn't a better team then), players must want revenge. Dropping out due Greece (which isn't on USA, Serbia, Spain or France level) two tournaments in a row would be devastating.
    When I said the most "expected outcome" I meant something like 60-40 or 70-30.

I see what you mean about your possible disappointment but I disagree on 2 points.
    1. Greek NT is quite different now than in 2017. Don't judge just looking at the names of the roster. I believe it's the best NT of the last decade or more, from what I have seen in the friendlies.
    2. USA and Serbia are of a higher level apparently, France and Spain probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    Turkey

Major Success: Semi final or automatic Olympics quali
    Success: Quarter finals because Greece. OQT.
    Acceptable: Going to second group and die fighting lol
    Failure: Loss against Czechia or Japan. I can already see news titles
    this minus one step down:
    Major Success: QF
    Success: Going to second group
    Acceptable: fight to the last drop of blood, regardless of the results
    Failure: zero wins
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Canada was dealt a heavy blow by being put in the most competitive group and having almost all of their top talent drop out of the tournament. I also expect them to be battling for olympic qualifier tournament placement in the Classification round. It's a shame the stars didn't seize this opportunity to play in the world cup where they could have (somewhat easily) secured olympic birth and a realistic shot at a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    this minus one step down:
    Major Success: QF
    Success: Going to second group
    Acceptable: fight to the last drop of blood, regardless of the results
    Failure: zero wins
    I respect that but I can't really see wins against Czechia without Vesely and Japan as a success. QF might be a major success, it's debatable.
    Şampiyonluk gelince

I respect that but I can't really see wins against Czechia without Vesely and Japan as a success. QF might be a major success, it's debatable.
    Levenspiel's (very) low expectations protect him (100%) for any future disappointment. I find yours more realistic.

Levenspiel's (very) low expectations protect him (100%) for any future disappointment. I find yours more realistic.
    When it comes to disappointment I'm more than ready thanks to our (Fener's) football branch, no results can hurt me so I can guess without fear
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Major success=SF
    Success=acceptable=QF
    Failure=Anything else.

I could have seperate success and acceptable, because a loss to a QF is a realistic scenario.
    But come on, we brought the NBAs MVP to go 9-16 unseeded??

If that happens turn off the lights, go to sleep, and give federation’s keys to Toruko

When I said the most "expected outcome" I meant something like 60-40 or 70-30.

I see what you mean about your possible disappointment but I disagree on 2 points.
    1. Greek NT is quite different now than in 2017. Don't judge just looking at the names of the roster. I believe it's the best NT of the last decade or more, from what I have seen in the friendlies.
    2. USA and Serbia are of a higher level apparently, France and Spain probably not.
    Well 60-40 means that a team would win 6 out of 10 times, is it really the MOST expected outcome? I consider this to be a "more likely to win" scenario. But nevermind about it.
    I meant no disrespect, Greece just isn't among usual elite basketball powerhouses, though this year Greece is on that level and even them going to the finals wouldn't surprise me. But losing to them two times in a row (I emphasise two times in a row, not them), even if they are elite this year, would be a major disappointment.
    Last edited by MrRager; 08-18-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Well 60-40 means that a team would win 6 out of 10 times, is it really the MOST expected outcome? I consider this to be a "more likely to win" scenario.
    Most expected <=> Most probable (or not?)
    There is a language barrier here

Team Serbia
    Mayor Success probably gold
    Success any medal
    Acceptable semi final or quarter final
    Failure quarter-final

I put failure and acceptable quarter-final ,due relativity of results .Could happen if circumstances would be against us ,its understandable if we lose against little a less quality team .But if we deserved that lose ,I will unsatisifed . Usa is weaker than in most cases was ,but there isnt pretty strong team which before tournament is pretender for gold .So I wrote gold for major success.

Success: Lose to Serbia and Italy by single digits (or win if we catch them on a bad day), beat Angola, beat remaining opponents in the classification round (most probably Iran and Tunisia), and qualify for the Olympics as the best-placed Asian team.

Acceptable: Beating Angola and classification round opponents but falling short of Olympic qualification because China (who has the easiest group out of all the Asian teams) advances to the next round.

Failure: Not getting at least a single win.
    "INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS."

I stand corrected, you're right as to the "success" part. Success would be to get another win in the 2nd round.
    QF is a major success for this particular team and for this bracket, imho, which means eliminating a medal contender, i.e, Greece.

True, a smaller possibility of disappointment, but I feel my expectations are actually realistic (with the correction above). Talent-wise, this is probably the second worst Turkish NT I've ever seen, just behind the last year's Eurobasket, which was the same team with slightly less experience.
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-19-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12