Clear All

Major success: making it to Olympics via World Cup
    Success: not making it, but finishing somewhere around top8
    Acceptable: 2nd round and finishing in Olympic qualifiers places
    Failure: losing to Senegal and finishing 0-3 in group

Comment

For Spain:

- Success: Any medal
      - Acceptable: playing close games against the best teams. This likely requires reaching SFs, as most of the best teams on paper are on the other side of the bracket. But if we lose in QFs against the eventual champion I won't complain
      - Failure: getting stomped. Failing to compete against the good teams

Unlike fans from other countries, I'm not concerned at all with qualifying for the Olympic Games. No way in hell FIBA leaves us out regardless of our performance in this tournament.

Comment

Two very different views from Zalia Balta and Mindozas. I am curious to know what are the general expectations from Lithuanian people? Zalia Balta's stance looks maybe too ambitious.
        Bronze medal 2017 Eurobasket prediction Game

Comment

Originally posted by Rodrigue Beaubois View Post
          Two very different views from Zalia Balta and Mindozas. I am curious to know what are the general expectations from Lithuanian people? Zalia Balta's stance looks maybe too ambitious.
          If you'd ask people in the streets of LT, you'd probably get some 50% expectations of gold and some 10% of Arvydas Sabonis being MVP

Originally posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
          No way in hell FIBA leaves us out regardless of our performance in this tournament.
          They won't, you are 2nd in rankings and best in Europe, so impossible to drop that much to not get invitation

Comment

Success: Semifinals.
            Acceptable: QF playing well and getting an olympic place. Prefer to qualify instead of getting a wildcard.
            Failure: Falling before QF or getting it playing bad.

Comment

Major success: SF
              Success: winning over AUS/CAN, losing in a tight match against France, putting up a fight in the QF vs. USA.
              Acceptable: getting crushed in the QF vs. USA
              FAILURE: losing against Greece AGAIN in the QF
              Not acceptable: not getting out of the 2nd group
              SHUT IT DOWN BOYS: Anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRager View Post
                FAILURE: losing against Greece AGAIN in the QF
                Imo it's not a failure but the most expected outcome if we cross each other. It could be a failure if you think that Lithuania is clearly a better team, which could be the case in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Adon View Post
                  Imo it's not a failure but the most expected outcome if we cross each other. It could be a failure if you think that Lithuania is clearly a better team, which could be the case in 2017.
                  No,I don't think Lithuania is a much better team, I think Greece is a better team. But the most expected outcome? I think the chances are 60-40.
                  And because Lithuania lost to Greece in 2017 (which wasn't a better team then), players must want revenge. Dropping out due Greece (which isn't on USA, Serbia, Spain or France level) two tournaments in a row would be devastating.

Comment

Turkey

Major Success: Semi final or automatic Olympics quali
                    Success: Quarter finals because Greece. OQT.
                    Acceptable: Going to second group and die fighting lol
                    Failure: Loss against Czechia or Japan. I can already see news titles
                    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
                    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
                    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
                    Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

Originally posted by MrRager View Post
                      No,I don't think Lithuania is a much better team, I think Greece is a better team. But the most expected outcome? I think the chances are 60-40.
                      And because Lithuania lost to Greece in 2017 (which wasn't a better team then), players must want revenge. Dropping out due Greece (which isn't on USA, Serbia, Spain or France level) two tournaments in a row would be devastating.
                      When I said the most "expected outcome" I meant something like 60-40 or 70-30.

I see what you mean about your possible disappointment but I disagree on 2 points.
                      1. Greek NT is quite different now than in 2017. Don't judge just looking at the names of the roster. I believe it's the best NT of the last decade or more, from what I have seen in the friendlies.
                      2. USA and Serbia are of a higher level apparently, France and Spain probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by vivo View Post
                        Turkey

Major Success: Semi final or automatic Olympics quali
                        Success: Quarter finals because Greece. OQT.
                        Acceptable: Going to second group and die fighting lol
                        Failure: Loss against Czechia or Japan. I can already see news titles
                        this minus one step down:
                        Major Success: QF
                        Success: Going to second group
                        Acceptable: fight to the last drop of blood, regardless of the results
                        Failure: zero wins
                        5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Canada was dealt a heavy blow by being put in the most competitive group and having almost all of their top talent drop out of the tournament. I also expect them to be battling for olympic qualifier tournament placement in the Classification round. It's a shame the stars didn't seize this opportunity to play in the world cup where they could have (somewhat easily) secured olympic birth and a realistic shot at a medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
                            this minus one step down:
                            Major Success: QF
                            Success: Going to second group
                            Acceptable: fight to the last drop of blood, regardless of the results
                            Failure: zero wins
                            I respect that but I can't really see wins against Czechia without Vesely and Japan as a success. QF might be a major success, it's debatable.
                            Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

Originally posted by vivo View Post
                              I respect that but I can't really see wins against Czechia without Vesely and Japan as a success. QF might be a major success, it's debatable.
                              Levenspiel's (very) low expectations protect him (100%) for any future disappointment. I find yours more realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Adon View Post
                                Levenspiel's (very) low expectations protect him (100%) for any future disappointment. I find yours more realistic.
                                When it comes to disappointment I'm more than ready thanks to our (Fener's) football branch, no results can hurt me so I can guess without fear
                                Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information