Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Calling Canada “weakened” may be the wrong word. We we be much better than the summers World Cup team.
    I suppose you are saying “weakened” relative to a full turnout, but let’s be honest that will never happen in today’s b-ball world. There will always be injuries, free agents, agent and club interference etc. and plenty of other reasons for opt-out.

I do know Nick Nurse is recruiting at every stop and the Canadians are wined and dined when they come to Toronto to play the Raptors. One cool item is each guy gets a video montage of his “Canadian Bball pedigree” on the jumbotron further laying down the public pressure. Even the media is finally putting good pressure on these guys every chance they get. I’m optimistic we will get a good turnout relative to last summer.

Tristan Thompson is the the main free agent but he can be extended mid season by the Cavs. Dillon Brooks is the other but he came out yesterday saying he was playing “no matter what, contract or no contract”. We will see if that is BS but I feel the momentum, and more importantly, the peer pressure amongst the players mounting.

Here's the perfect article on Giannis' FIBA campaign and some obvious differences between NBA and FIBA. There's the things which usagre emphasized so much, but surely not only that, good read:

"Why was the best player in the world last season so ordinary in a signature international tournament? There are many answers to this question, but they all revolved around the same theme: Antetokounmpo just isn’t built for FIBA’s style of play, which tends to be slower, more rigid, more compressed, and more physical than that of the NBA. Slow, rigid, compressed, and physical are not words to describe Antetokounmpo’s brilliance. Even his physical strength manifests itself best when he’s on the run, something that happens far less often in a FIBA setting."

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/9/10/2...up-2019-its-ok
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Calling Canada “weakened” may be the wrong word. We we be much better than the summers World Cup team.
    I suppose you are saying “weakened” relative to a full turnout, but let’s be honest that will never happen in today’s b-ball world. There will always be injuries, free agents, agent and club interference etc. and plenty of other reasons for opt-out.

I do know Nick Nurse is recruiting at every stop and the Canadians are wined and dined when they come to Toronto to play the Raptors. One cool item is each guy gets a video montage of his “Canadian Bball pedigree” on the jumbotron further laying down the public pressure. Even the media is finally putting good pressure on these guys every chance they get. I’m optimistic we will get a good turnout relative to last summer.

Tristan Thompson is the the main free agent but he can be extended mid season by the Cavs. Dillon Brooks is the other but he came out yesterday saying he was playing “no matter what, contract or no contract”. We will see if that is BS but I feel the momentum, and more importantly, the peer pressure amongst the players mounting.
    Yeah, bro. I meant of course in terms of a hypothetical ALL CANADA full hardcore 5 star roster which would be a serious medal contender in Tokyo - SERIOUS. We have very much the same problems like Canada (also in the past), I completely understand your situation.

Kokoskov will be new head coach of Serbia for the next campaign. A good solution.

According to 24sek.lt, the brackets should be formed by the rating:

(1) Serbia (6), Greece (7), Lithuania (8), Russia (9)

(2) Czech Republic (10), Brasil (11), Italy (12), Poland (13)

(3) Croatia (14), Turkey (15), Slovenia (16), Puerto Rico (17)

(4) Germany (18), Dominican Republic (19), Venezuela (20) Canada (21)

(5) New Zealand (24), Mexico (25), China (27) (South) Korea (30)

(6) Angola (32), Tunisia (33), Senegal (35), Uruguay (43)

According to the same source, FIBA will take into account the geographical location of the tournaments, which probably tells, that groups with european hosts will consist of three european teams (out of 6).

The tournament system goes as follows:

6 teams are divided into two groups of 3 teams and play one game against their opponents of the group.
    1st and 2nd place of each group goes to the semi finals
    1st seed of group A plays against 2nd seed of group B and vice-versa.
    Winners go to the Final.
    Champion goes to the Olympics.

Getting 4 victories gives a ticket to Tokyo without any doubts, in some cases 3 wins would also be enough.

Although, it is not officially confirmed by FIBA, the reporters probably heard this sytems somewhere in the background talks, and i believe that this is the exact system that we are going to witness during the Olympic Qualification Tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
    According to 24sek.lt, the brackets should be formed by the rating:
    They are just guessing about everything, they gave a clue about that in the same article. None knows how it will go exactly

Ok, the system should remain the same like before: 2 groups with 3 teams each, semis and final to decide the winner and Olympics participant. Still no info regarding the draw

Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    The pots will be decided in a few days. I think there are two scenarios. In the first one the pots should be:

Based only on FIBA Rankings.

Pot1: Serbia, Greece, Lithuania, Russia
    Pot2: Czech Rep., Brazil, Italy, Poland
    Pot3: Croatia, Turkey, Slovenia, Puerto Rico
    Pot4: Germany, Dominican Rep., Venezuela, Canada
    Pot5: New Zealand, Mexico, China, Korea
    Pot6: Angola, Tunisia, Senegal, Uruguay
    You were right on this one, this time seeds were strictly based on rankings, then during draw groups will be form based on geographical criteria

Do you understand the procedure more detailed?

Hypothetically Serbia - Italy - Turkey - Germany is possible. Same Lithuania Czech - Slovenia. How to avoid 4 Europeans in a group? Does it mean that for example DomRep and Venezuela will be automarically be drawn into a group were Pot 1 - 3 are Europeans?

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Do you understand the procedure more detailed?

Hypothetically Serbia - Italy - Turkey - Germany is possible. Same Lithuania Czech - Slovenia. How to avoid 4 Europeans in a group? Does it mean that for example DomRep and Venezuela will be automarically be drawn into a group were Pot 1 - 3 are Europeans?
    Theoretically there must be no more than 3 Euros per group, no more than 2 Americas teams either, to make this balance as FIBA wants, so yeah, Germany surely will go to group where Puerto-Rico or Brazil (or both) will be drawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQDzPLdTCc

I watched a lot of his offensive recitations. We will see a completely new Serbia in my opinion than this summer. Back to Djordjevic's beginnings with 2 playmakers and a lot more transition offense with stretch conception. I read that we had 7 offensive posessions less than 2014 this year per game in average. Think this will change drastically back to a higher pace volume. Additionally there is to be said that (as Igor mentions here) good ball movement is not most necessarily a concept for good offense. In other words Bogdan and (from now) Vasa or Teo will be the centerspots of Serbian offense beside Jokic.

Also here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oM9kAld0iE
    Watch for strech option involvement at some sets with receiving the ball outside the perimeter and further facilitating.

PS: If there is a better thread to put this, I would appreciate admins to do so.

Fuck my life if we draw Serbia in Belgrade. Dont get me wrong I dont have hope for qualification with these bigs but i want turkey to beat as many opponents as possible for fiba ranking. I am not afraid of any tier 2 team to be honest. Drawing the czechs would be nice for payback but if i had the chance to choose i would take canada and greece in canada hoping the canadian stars wont come this time either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tx6Imf8Kj4

Not a draft, just information about the procedure.

- Each Qualification Tournament consists of 6 teams (3 teams per groups A and B)
    - Groups A consist of teams from 1st, 4th and 5th brackets.
    - Groups B consist of teams from 2nd, 3rd and 6th brackets.
    - Teams will be allocated with a number (1, 2 or 3) in order to determine the order of the games and the initial position in the group.
    - FIBA wants to equally spread teams from the same continent across different groups.
    - Teams will be drawn and placed in the first available group following the host cities' alphabetical order (hmm??)
    - Maximum two European teams can go into the same group (A or B in different cities). And maximum three in the same tournament.
    - Maximum one American team can go into the same group (A or B in different cities). And maximum two in the same tournament.

Well it is all explained in the video. The draft takes place tomorrow.

So the draw in a good hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71thIUTN4Qs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BELGRADE (SERBIA)

Group A: Dominican Republic, New Zealand, Serbia

Group B: Puerto Rico, Italy, Senegal

-------------------------

KAUNAS (LITHUANIA)

Group A: Lithuania, Korea, Venezuela

Group B: Poland, Slovenia, Angola

SPLIT (CROATIA)

Group A: Germany, Russia, Mexico

Group B: Tunisia, Croatia, Brazil

VICTORIA (CANADA)

Group A: Greece, China, Canada

Group B: Uruguay, Czech Republic, Turkey

Split and Victoria will be interesting tournaments

Serbia and Kaunas not so much.Lietuva with a perfect draw.All this bitching about FIBA in the World Cup paid off.

Is it official that G.Dragic have retired from Nt or there is still chances he gonna give one last try for his first Olympic dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    Split and Victoria will be interesting tournaments

Serbia and Kaunas not so much.Lietuva with a perfect draw.All this bitching about FIBA in the World Cup paid off.
    It depends what kind of a team can bring Slovenia. Luka + 4 good role players, could be enough in 1 game. Lithuania a big favorite of course.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Is its official that G.Dragic have retired from Nt or there is still chances he gonna give one last try for his first Olympic dream?
    99% that he won’t play.
    previously known as Beno

I say Serbia (who knew), Lithuania, Germany (I feel Croatia will choke) and Greece will go to Olympics.

Yes, I see Canada choking to qualify even with their stars. If Sloukas will be healthy and ready this time as their best scorer in perimeter, Calatches will be in good shape (shooting 44% threes this season), Giannis will adjust a bit better after reality ticket in 2019 WC, I still see Greece as a force. Greece won't throw bricks as they did in WC, they still have a heck of a roster if all healthy and ready and they will be much more ready than in 2019. Canada will be stacked, but completely new established project, dependant on those quick shooting lottery which Nick Nurse prefers. Even Turkey will give Canada some tough time, playing rather similar basketball.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast