No announcement yet.

2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot has been made of the back to back summers, and i get it but also, it's only two instead of the four it used to be. In the Old way Canada probably ends up playing non stop.

Comment

Likely OQT teams

Serbia (4)
      Lithuania (6)
      Slovenia (7)
      Greece (8)
      Croatia (9)
      Russia (10)
      Brazil (12)
      Italy (13)
      Mexico (14)
      Puerto Rico (16)
      Turkey(17)
      Dominican Rep (18)
      Venezuela (20)
      Germany (22)
      Canada (23)
      Czech Republic (24)
      Poland (25)
      Montenegro (28)
      China (30)
      Philippines (31)
      Korea (32)
      Senegal (37)
      New Zealand (38)
      Angola (39)

Comment

Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post
        Likely OQT teams

Serbia (4)
        Lithuania (6)
        Slovenia (7)
        Greece (8)
        Croatia (9)
        Russia (10)
        Brazil (12)
        Italy (13)
        Mexico (14)
        Puerto Rico (16)
        Turkey(17)
        Dominican Rep (18)
        Venezuela (20)
        Germany (22)
        Canada (23)
        Czech Republic (24)
        Poland (25)
        Montenegro (28)
        China (30)
        Philippines (31)
        Korea (32)
        Senegal (37)
        New Zealand (38)
        Angola (39)
        You are missing Uruguay and can not have both South Korea and Philippines.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
          You are missing Uruguay and can not have both South Korea and Philippines.
          Yeah and also Slovenia, Croatia and Montenegro can't all be in

Also I think 1st pot in more or less clear - Serbia, Lithuania, Greece, Russia (or Euro WC). Depends where all wildcard holders will end up, all 8 in two last pots or ranking+geography will decide, probably the latter

Comment

One important change after recent FIBA ranking updates. Korea overtook Philippines and should be 2nd team along with China to get wildcard for OQT. If so, massive blow for Pinoys. Elsewhere, no matter quite notable drop Croatia and Slovenia remains as two best European teams without OQT spot, the same goes to Mexico/Uruguay, Angola/Senegal

Comment

oqt.jpg

Btw, the dates were changed from July 6-12 to June 23-28, 2020. So even less time to prepare after the season

Comment

So FIBA held true to their word on the rankings and the OQT.

The official website of FIBA, the International Basketball Federation, and the governing body of Basketball. FIBA organises the most famous and prestigious international basketball competitions including the FIBA Basketball World Cup, the FIBA World Championship for Women and the FIBA 3x3 World Tour. The website features live and on demand videos, basketball news, over 70,00 players profile and thousands of teams profiles, schedules and statistics of all FIBA Events as well as results and statistics from over 80 national basketball leagues.

We predicted most of it. The notable change was South Korea jumped the Philippines and took the last Asia spot.
                Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

It will be interesting to see, how FIBA decides to allocate the pots. Will it go directly by the FIBA rankings or will it pay attention to the ranking and regions. What is more, FIBA might drop a bomb and put the hosts in the first pot.

IMO, the best way to do it is to just go fully by the rankings. So we would avoid bs like group A in world cup.

So initially, i would like to see these pots:

POT1: Serbia, Greece, Lithuania, Russia
                  POT2: Czech Republic, Brazil, Italy, Poland
                  POT3: Croatia, Turkey, Slovenia, Puerto Rico
                  POT4: Germany, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Canada
                  POT5: New Zealand, Mexico, China, Korea
                  POT6: Angola, Tunisia, Senegal, Uruguay

Obviously, first pots are mostly consisted of European teams, but hey that's just the way it is, regarding the basketball level in the world. Except from obviously those american teams that already clinched olympic spots.
                  Last edited by ZaliaBalta; 09-19-2019, 01:53 PM. Reason: Canada*

Comment

Fiba made qualification before NBA free agency.I doubt we will see alot of NBA free agents of 2020 playing in qualification tournament.

Comment

Saric,Bogdan Bogdanovich,Bellineli,Sabonis,Osman,Dragic,Hezonja ,Gallinari

is kinda free agents this upcoming summer.

So fiba makes them risk playing qualification without contracts ?

Comment

Originally posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
                        It will be interesting to see, how FIBA decides to allocate the pots. Will it go directly by the FIBA rankings or will it pay attention to the ranking and regions. What is more, FIBA might drop a bomb and put the hosts in the first pot.

IMO, the best way to do it is to just go fully by the rankings. So we would avoid bs like group A in world cup.

So initially, i would like to see these pots:

POT1: Serbia, Greece, Lithuania, Russia
                        POT2: Czech Republic, Brazil, Italy, Poland
                        POT3: Croatia, Turkey, Slovenia, Puerto Rico
                        POT4: Germany, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Canda
                        POT5: New Zealand, Mexico, China, Korea
                        POT6: Angola, Tunisia, Senegal, Uruguay

Obviously, first pots are mostly consisted of European teams, but hey that's just the way it is, regarding the basketball level in the world. Except from obviously those american teams that already clinched olympic spots.
                        So according whit these pots Russia could be finish in the only tournament out of europe?in Canada?right

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                          So according whit these pots Russia could be finish in the only tournament out of europe?in Canada?right
                          As far as I know, hosts are yet to be announced. And I have maaaajor doubts that Fiba would give three hosting spots to European teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                            Nobody knows where tournaments will be held, some rumours has it that all of them might be in different continents. And these pots are just guessing, even tho it's hard to imagine different 1st pot, it matches both - ranking and geographical criteria which could apply

Comment

FIBA wants 4 tournaments, 4 different continents. A month ago there was a speculation about Senegal hosting one of these tournaments. They have a new arena (Dakar Arena), it would be a massive boost for the country and the continent. I think the amount of money (2.5M Euro or 1,639,892,500 Senegal Francs) is huuuge for this country. The only guess i can make is that NBA will fund such a tournament(they already "fund" the BAL). But on the other hand the chances are slim.

Already Lithuania and Serbia have expressed interest but nothing is official yet. I believe China could be a candidate, perhaps Turkey. From Americas i have no idea. From what mojo says Canada's finances are mediocre. I believe that other countries face same issues. So that leads to 2 Europeans, China and one more.

P.S. I read somewhere that Ayon intends to play for one last time for Mexico.

Comment

Don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but there's always a feeling that some Mexico could host such event and find some extra money from government if they'd just want to. Pretty much the story of Venezuela and Chavez in 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information