Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 236

Thread: 2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

  1. #41
    Senior Member Italian Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
    It will be interesting to see, how FIBA decides to allocate the pots. Will it go directly by the FIBA rankings or will it pay attention to the ranking and regions. What is more, FIBA might drop a bomb and put the hosts in the first pot.

    IMO, the best way to do it is to just go fully by the rankings. So we would avoid bs like group A in world cup.

    So initially, i would like to see these pots:

    POT1: Serbia, Greece, Lithuania, Russia
    POT2: Czech Republic, Brazil, Italy, Poland
    POT3: Croatia, Turkey, Slovenia, Puerto Rico
    POT4: Germany, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Canda
    POT5: New Zealand, Mexico, China, Korea
    POT6: Angola, Tunisia, Senegal, Uruguay

    Obviously, first pots are mostly consisted of European teams, but hey that's just the way it is, regarding the basketball level in the world. Except from obviously those american teams that already clinched olympic spots.
    So according whit these pots Russia could be finish in the only tournament out of europe?in Canada?right

  2. #42
    Member ZaliaBalta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    69
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Italian Pride View Post
    So according whit these pots Russia could be finish in the only tournament out of europe?in Canada?right
    As far as I know, hosts are yet to be announced. And I have maaaajor doubts that Fiba would give three hosting spots to European teams.

  3. #43
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,546
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Italian Pride View Post
    So according whit these pots Russia could be finish in the only tournament out of europe?in Canada?right
    Nobody knows where tournaments will be held, some rumours has it that all of them might be in different continents. And these pots are just guessing, even tho it's hard to imagine different 1st pot, it matches both - ranking and geographical criteria which could apply


  4. #44
    Senior Member soulis79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281
    Country: Greece

    Default

    FIBA wants 4 tournaments, 4 different continents. A month ago there was a speculation about Senegal hosting one of these tournaments. They have a new arena (Dakar Arena), it would be a massive boost for the country and the continent. I think the amount of money (2.5M Euro or 1,639,892,500 Senegal Francs) is huuuge for this country. The only guess i can make is that NBA will fund such a tournament(they already "fund" the BAL). But on the other hand the chances are slim.

    Already Lithuania and Serbia have expressed interest but nothing is official yet. I believe China could be a candidate, perhaps Turkey. From Americas i have no idea. From what mojo says Canada's finances are mediocre. I believe that other countries face same issues. So that leads to 2 Europeans, China and one more.

    P.S. I read somewhere that Ayon intends to play for one last time for Mexico.

  5. #45
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,546
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but there's always a feeling that some Mexico could host such event and find some extra money from government if they'd just want to. Pretty much the story of Venezuela and Chavez in 2012


  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    304
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    A major problem of FIBA is that they are very intransparent. Noone can take them serious. Not for pots, not for hostings, not for rules, not for geographical criteria, for nothing. I really expect some craziness about this issue in the next weeks.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    656
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    FIBA wants 4 tournaments, 4 different continents. A month ago there was a speculation about Senegal hosting one of these tournaments. They have a new arena (Dakar Arena), it would be a massive boost for the country and the continent. I think the amount of money (2.5M Euro or 1,639,892,500 Senegal Francs) is huuuge for this country. The only guess i can make is that NBA will fund such a tournament(they already "fund" the BAL). But on the other hand the chances are slim.

    Already Lithuania and Serbia have expressed interest but nothing is official yet. I believe China could be a candidate, perhaps Turkey. From Americas i have no idea. From what mojo says Canada's finances are mediocre. I believe that other countries face same issues. So that leads to 2 Europeans, China and one more.

    P.S. I read somewhere that Ayon intends to play for one last time for Mexico.

    There is potential for Canada. Canada Basketball (the federation) doesn't have the money, but there are some deep pockets nearby. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) the owners of both the Toronto Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs (and Toronto FC, and Toronto Argonaughts etc). is slowly taking a more active role in Canada Basketball. They could very easily pull this off but they are not a charity and need to see that they could make money. Canadian rapper Drake and his brand/company/record label - OVO is involved somewhat as well and there is talk of them taking a bigger role. Glen Grunwald was brought on board specifically to build up corporate ties and secure better sponsorship and funding. Could be too soon though.

    FIBA really should drop their extortion with fees and just get into a revenue sharing agreement with someone like MLSE - share the risk and build something, rather than just taking their tax.

  8. #48
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,546
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    FIBA really should drop their extortion with fees and just get into a revenue sharing agreement with someone like MLSE - share the risk and build something, rather than just taking their tax.
    In an ideal world... but in this one - we had one OQT tournament in 2008, then in 2012 FIBA got major money injection from Venezuela, then boom - in 2016 we have 3 tournaments, all countries had to pay. And then in 2020 there'll be 4 already, again some at least 12mln euros or dollars, whatever, falls into FIBA pocket for doing NOTHING AT ALL. Would they be a fools to get rid off it? Of course not, more like making it 6 tournaments in 2024, then finalists meeting in 7th one to decide the winners. Their greed has no limits


  9. #49
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    390
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    In an ideal world... but in this one - we had one OQT tournament in 2008, then in 2012 FIBA got major money injection from Venezuela, then boom - in 2016 we have 3 tournaments, all countries had to pay. And then in 2020 there'll be 4 already, again some at least 12mln euros or dollars, whatever, falls into FIBA pocket for doing NOTHING AT ALL. Would they be a fools to get rid off it? Of course not, more like making it 6 tournaments in 2024, then finalists meeting in 7th one to decide the winners. Their greed has no limits
    To be fair the version from last time was a better format and way less confusing. They just added a tournament for the freed spot that the FWC winner use to get.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    304
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Croatia is interested in Larkin joining them for their qualifying campaign. A great scoring option but I'm really not sure if this is the type of point guard that can help them. What they need is a player like Jovic, Heurtel, Westerman.

  11. #51
    Senior Member okanial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Croatia is interested in Larkin joining them for their qualifying campaign. A great scoring option but I'm really not sure if this is the type of point guard that can help them. What they need is a player like Jovic, Heurtel, Westerman.
    Larkin shared a photo with Turkish national jersey and said "I didnt recieve any offer but if I did I'd strongly consider it cause I feel like Turkey is home and I like it here"

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    952
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okanial View Post
    Larkin shared a photo with Turkish national jersey and said "I didnt recieve any offer but if I did I'd strongly consider it cause I feel like Turkey is home and I like it here"
    He offers himself to many countries. I think money will talk but I dont want him. We must be able to raise our own play maker. Larkin would be a great fit but he makes you also lazy. Naturalized player should be abolished.

  13. #53
    Senior Member soulis79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Hackett announced his retirement from national team of Italy. He comments that new guys will step up like Moretti and Mannion.

    Meanwhile Calathes announced that his intention is to stop playing for Greek national team regardless the result in the upcoming pre-Olympic. He notes that he is been playing for consecutive years and need to stop(11 years). Printezis left the door open if he is healthy and rested.

    I have a hunch that both Calathes and Printezis won't show up in the upcoming pre-Olumpic tournament.

  14. #54
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,546
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    Hackett announced his retirement from national team of Italy. He comments that new guys will step up like Moretti and Mannion.

    Meanwhile Calathes announced that his intention is to stop playing for Greek national team regardless the result in the upcoming pre-Olympic. He notes that he is been playing for consecutive years and need to stop(11 years). Printezis left the door open if he is healthy and rested.

    I have a hunch that both Calathes and Printezis won't show up in the upcoming pre-Olumpic tournament.
    Don't know about Printezis, but listening to Calathes, it looked like he will give it all for the last time


  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    656
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Canadian media starting to report Canada Basketball is making an attempt to host a Qualification tournament in Montreal. Not sure if we can get it together but it is encouraging to hear.

    Still seems Lithuania, Greece and Serbia are planning to submit bids too - anyone hear anything else out there?

    https://twitter.com/PeteYannopoulos/...816628224?s=20

  16. #56
    Senior Member fasoulaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,754
    Country: Germany

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Still seems Lithuania, Greece and Serbia are planning to submit bids too - anyone hear anything else out there?
    There was a meeting beginning of this week between the general secertary of the greek basketball federation and the government representative responsible for sports and they discussed the federations wish to acquire one of the olympic qualification tournaments. The biggest obstacle is money which should not be a surprise for a country like Greece which still struggles economically.
    https://www.sport24.gr/Basket/Ellada...o.5609486.html
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 10-04-2019 at 01:57 PM.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Picek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,305

    Default

    Croatian basketball federation submitted letter of intent for hosting one of the qualifying tournaments.
    They were backed up by our government which guaranteed them for the needed money.
    Apparently city of Split is the place where it would be hosted if we get it.
    Next year is an election year in Croatia and our federation president (Stojko Vrankovic) is also a member of the ruling party.
    Panem et circenses.

    We played OQT twice and on both occasions qualified for the olympics (I was actually present in Turin) and our federation management ( Vrankovic and Radja) seriously need a good result since they are the ones to be blamed for the WC qualifying fiasco regardless of the FIBA windows and the fact that the quality is not there.
    Bad choice of coach, getting rid of older players etc. All of their doing.

    To be honest, I already made summer plans for Lithuania next year hoping we would end up in that group.
    Cheep beer, great looking ladies, going away from home and basketball. What else do you need?
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

    heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

  18. #58
    Senior Member Italian Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Hi guys,do you know when FIBA will announce 4 host countries?and definitevely what are the countries that have requested it?

  19. #59
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,546
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post

    To be honest, I already made summer plans for Lithuania next year hoping we would end up in that group.
    Cheep beer, great looking ladies, going away from home and basketball. What else do you need?
    Beer is not that cheap anymore, like it was i.e. in 2011, when we hosted Eurobasket After we changed litas to euro in 2015 everything became more expensive, more close to Western European prices. If you could get a bottle of average beer for couple of litas back in the days, which was around 50 euro cents, now it's 2 or even 3 times more expensive. And that in supermarkets, in pubs it's even more expensive. No wonder people loves to travel to Poland or Latvia to buy beer in big numbers, there its way cheaper

    Quote Originally Posted by Italian Pride View Post
    Hi guys,do you know when FIBA will announce 4 host countries?and definitevely what are the countries that have requested it?
    Heard that it should be announced in beginning of November, but it might be old info, floated around some month ago


  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    304
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Italian Pride View Post
    Hi guys,do you know when FIBA will announce 4 host countries?and definitevely what are the countries that have requested it?
    15th of November. Serbia sent request for hosting one of the tournaments today. Others as far as I know Russia, Greece, Lithuania, Croatia.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •