2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katastroika View Post

I don't blame Turkey nor it's Turkey's fault. The rule is the problem. And it should be challenged rather soon than late. Which of course won't happen. Cheers.
    It cant be challenged because FIBA doesnt have the power and authority to tell sovereign countries whether one person is eligible for citizenship or not.What happens with this rule is a compromise.I've said it again FIFA which is 1000 times more powerful than FIBA doesnt have any rule regarding naturalised players at all!China uses Brazilians,Italy uses Argentines,Greece naturilised Zeca, a portugese player because they lacked defensive midfielders badly.

Comment

• Larkin will not be a differencer maker against elite FIBA squads anyway - whatever spacing he gives and provides offensively, he will give up the same defensively due to his size. Smart teams with big guards will know for sure how to take him out of the game

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
        It cant be challenged because FIBA doesnt have the power and authority to tell sovereign countries whether one person is eligible for citizenship or not.What happens with this rule is a compromise.I've said it again FIFA which is 1000 times more powerful than FIBA doesnt have any rule regarding naturalised players at all!China uses Brazilians,Italy uses Argentines,Greece naturilised Zeca, a portugese player because they lacked defensive midfielders badly.
        Of course it could be challenged. Now you have the situation that natural federations can block player availability for a country if he changes citizenship in his youth until he is 21 under FIBA rules. Just regulate it that way that a player registered in one country's federations youth systems can't ever play for another. If you want it you can of course let some special situations open (for example if a player is born in Germany and has Turk origins and starts playing basketball in Oldenburg - this could be treated as a special case if there are serious reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
          Larkin will not be a differencer maker against elite FIBA squads anyway - whatever spacing he gives and provides offensively, he will give up the same defensively due to his size. Smart teams with big guards will know for sure how to take him out of the game
          This is bs. It it was so it would be as you say in euroleague.

Comment

Larkin will not be a differencer maker against elite FIBA squads anyway - whatever spacing he gives and provides offensively, he will give up the same defensively due to his size. Smart teams with big guards will know for sure how to take him out of the game
            Okay this is true, Larkin wont make a difference against Kawhi Leonards and Kevin Durants... (if these show up) but how many supposed elite squads are there? Should I remind you what Campazzo did against Jokic, Bogdanovic, Bjelica. This is in your opinion an elite squad right? I mean Giannis got eliminated by Coboclo and Varejao. This snobbish elite squad nonsense doesn’t work in practice. Larkin is thrice the player Campazzo is and surely will make a difference against anyone except a full squad USA.

Comment

• We mustnt forget bb is a team sport and Larkin is a pesky defender, really fast in the passing lanes. He wont stay in the paint and let others play post situations. Its true that Satoransky and Calathes are taller but its not an advantage because Larkin is five times faster. I saw 100 times how he stole the ball in front of other guards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                This is bs. It it was so it would be as you say in euroleague.
                sorry to burst to your bubble, but Euroleague basketball does not equal the best that FIBA teams can provide, not even close...all of the best FIBA players play in NBA and your regular playoff game in FIBA is of similar quality to NBA playoffs level of basketball. Hell, your own team almost beat Team USA in WC without the help of Larkins of this world if not for choking at the free throw line...

Comment

sorry to burst to your bubble, but Euroleague basketball does not equal the best that FIBA teams can provide, not even close...all of the best FIBA players play in NBA and your regular playoff game in FIBA is of similar quality to NBA playoffs level of basketball. Hell, your own team almost beat Team USA in WC without the help of Larkins of this world if not for choking at the free throw line...
                  You havent burst anything. I have played enough active basketball myself and watched even longer. The first achievement is the qualification. Even this would be a tremendous achievement and on the way will be just one nba guard from Europe that I very like Satoransky. I acknowledge their chemistry but it remains a team with a bunch of low level players and Greece can just provide Euroleague guards.

Canada with full power is a different story of course but will they be with full power? We dont know. If Turkey qualifies the outcome of the olympics is not very important. I dont expect to beat a full squad USA team. There will be some beatable and not beatable teams. No problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
                    Well you must hold into account you can never be sure when circumstances change There are many factors. The reason I spoke about people crying or jealousy for example wasn’t because of what guys like you say, but the hypocrisy I noticed in general. I have seen Greeks complain about Larkin for example, but in the meantime in their most popular sport, football, there is a Portuguese player at the starting 11. These same people also used to call France and USA “Africa” everytime they competed, but now suddenly, since they got an African immigrant turn into an NBA star, take a whole different stance. People will claim “A” but when the circumstances change suddenly turn “B”. Serbia has a great team, doesnt really need naturalization, but imagine if the circumstances were severely different, how can you guarantee anything? Anyway this is why I think this discussion doesnt have much use, I dont like hypocrisy from people who use naturalized players themselves but only cry about others just for the sake of crying, but you aren’t one of those guys so I respect your opinion but politely disagree that’s all. Cheers to you aswell.
                    Or like how Turkey had a Brazilian football defender playing for them back in 00's. Would appreciate btw if you provide some evidence on these ''Africa'' name calling unless you bring them out of your head. And no people don't really complain about Larkin since Turkey have had rotating naturalized players in the past between Preldzic, Dixon and Wilbekin so it's not something new. They just see they can't produce a decent level PG so they take advantage of the rule. Nothing illegal or new here.
                    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

• Wow.

Am I seeing things, or this turkish dude just talked about jealousy? Are you serious bro? You can only be jealous about a particular player that actually belongs to his national team and can actually carry the flag of his own country. You can be jealous about such talents as Teodosič (in his prime), Bogdan Bogdanovič, Bojan Bogdanovič, Luka Dončič, Goran Dragič, Diamantidis, Porzingis, Gasol brothers, Rubio and a lot of other players that are actually supposed to play for their countries and are natural talents on the court. One will NEVER be jealous about players like Larkin in Turkey, Wilbekin in Turkey, McCalebb in Macedonia, Randolph in Slovenia and so on. Cause they were not born, raised or developed as players from particular nations. They were bought. Plain and clear. What does jealousy have to do here? People here are most definitely not jealous of the "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality, which you showed by throwing excuses that most of countries do this naturalization nonsense, so why can't we do it. With such big names like Larkin you just continue to spread this shit-trend even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
                        Wow.

Am I seeing things, or this turkish dude just talked about jealousy? Are you serious bro? You can only be jealous about a particular player that actually belongs to his national team and can actually carry the flag of his own country. You can be jealous about such talents as Teodosič (in his prime), Bogdan Bogdanovič, Bojan Bogdanovič, Luka Dončič, Goran Dragič, Diamantidis, Porzingis, Gasol brothers, Rubio and a lot of other players that are actually supposed to play for their countries and are natural talents on the court. One will NEVER be jealous about players like Larkin in Turkey, Wilbekin in Turkey, McCalebb in Macedonia, Randolph in Slovenia and so on. Cause they were not born, raised or developed as players from particular nations. They were bought. Plain and clear. What does jealousy have to do here? People here are most definitely not jealous of the "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality, which you showed by throwing excuses that most of countries do this naturalization nonsense, so why can't we do it. With such big names like Larkin you just continue to spread this shit-trend even more.
                        Are YOU serious? Can you atleast try to read my posts properly and process the words accordingly? Where did I claim everyone is jealous? Why are you acting so triggered as if you were targeted personally? I was merely calling out the hypocrite folks I stumbled upon, there seems to be a couple. It is peculiar to me to come crying about the 1 (SINGLE) naturalized player on a national team when your own teams have naturalizations. Take the Greeks, they have a naturalized portuguese walking around in their most popular sport, football. And Calathes is just as American as Shane is. He even gives interviews to Greek television in English (because he cant speak Greek). You see, they are no stranger to naturalizations, but when it comes to our national team they feel the need to yap. Look I respect being against the rule, but I dont respect cherry picking. If they were so upset about naturalizations they better spend their effort to kick the Portuguese out of their football team. I dont tolerate hypocrisy

But you’re no stranger to empty yapping yourself. What makes you unbearable is this judgemental “my view is the only correct one” attitude of yours. Grow the ef up. You come with a weird list of players you worship, like Teodosic... who’s entire NBA career was dunking water bottles on the Clippers bench. Okay these guys are elite for EUROPEAN standards, but Larkin is too... even better than Teo... so rationally speaking Larkin is also in this list of yours...

But that’s where the problem starts, you are not rational. I don’t tolerate irrational fallacies.... a player is not defined by his jersey, but by what he is. Doncic was offered to be naturalized by Spain, just like Mirotic. Let’s say he accepted, suddenly he’s not worthy to be on this list of yours?? Even though he’s the most impressive name on it. You see your logical flaw? You can make up weird criteria and live it in your head, that’s your problem... but don’t bother me with it, because subjectively I dont agree with your nationality obsessed view. You can disagree with the rule of Fiba to allow a naturalization, but what you’re doing is nitpicking. Larkin cant play for his homecountry, so many would love to land him (Croatia tried). When people criticize his naturalization, even though this rule has exited and has been USED FOR YEARS now (countless naturalized players but we “”spread this shit trend””)? When I dont see constructive criticism I can only use terms like bitter, jealous and crybaby. If you’re not the first or second you surely are the third. I mean Doncic and Dragic on your list won a eurobasket medal with this “shit trend”, Randolph probably hasnt spent more than a week in Slovenia but was recruited by his former teammate and being the talented player he is was very valuable in the Euros. This is far from being a trend, it’s common practice.

Besides, it’s not like the Turkish federation begged Larkin, long before he was even on the mind of our federation he basically applied for this position himself: https://twitter.com/beinsports_tr/st...168312320?s=21
                        Last edited by Furkan Korkmaz; 02-03-2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Yet again I might repeat people are not upset since it's something not new (Preldzic, Wilbekin and Dixon, previously with Ermal Kuqo and Mirsad Turkcan) although lately it has been spread to youth ages f.e with Biberovic and Dzanan Musa but the latter's case didn't blossom.

Also Turkey used to have a Brazilian named Mehmet Aurelio playing for them some years ago in case you missed it.

Btw there's not a single Greek here complaining for Larkin.
                          1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by R1ou View Post
                            Yet again I might repeat people are not upset since it's something not new (Preldzic, Wilbekin and Dixon, previously with Ermal Kuqo and Mirsad Turkcan) although lately it has been spread to youth ages f.e with Biberovic and Dzanan Musa but the latter's case didn't blossom.

Also Turkey used to have a Brazilian named Mehmet Aurelio playing for them some years ago in case you missed it.

Btw there's not a single Greek here complaining for Larkin.
                            Because Greeks hasnt even a turkish contribution of youth and has with Tylor Dorsey and Zach Auguste two naturalizations. In addition to that also Kostas Koufos, Nick Calathes and the Antetoloumpos who would have counted today also as naturalizations. Everyone can complain, greeks cant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                              Because Greeks hasnt even a turkish contribution of youth and has with Tylor Dorsey and Zach Auguste two naturalizations. In addition to that also Kostas Koufos, Nick Calathes
                              All these players are greeks or half greek. Ismet Akpinar is not a german, he is a turk etc............

Comment

• For me Russia 2007 , Macedonia 2011, Slovenia 2017 fantastic achievements smells badly and I'm not surprised all of them struggling badly now.

When you don't think how to fix problem long term,but just trying to buy with money and ale fixing short term problems eventually you are getting nowhere.

When Turks already bought 3 different Americans in like last 5-6 years it's just show no pride at all.Rule is rules sure,but what turkey doing with new American in every tournament is just shameful act even if it's playing by stupid rule.

No love and no support for such team.In national team competions pride wearing your NT t-shirt and hearing your anthem should mean something.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information