2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
    15th of November. Serbia sent request for hosting one of the tournaments today. Others as far as I know Russia, Greece, Lithuania, Croatia.
    Thanks

Russia?where do you read about t?

Comment

The National Federations of Canada (Victoria), Croatia (Split), Lithuania (Kaunas) and Serbia (Belgrade) have been awarded the hosting rights of the four FIBA Men's Olympic Qualifying Tournaments, from June 23 to 28, 2020.
      MIES (Switzerland) - The FIBA Executive Committee decided today the hosts of both the men’s and women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournaments, set to take place next year.?

Great news for us. Now let's wait for the draw on 27th

Comment

now we attend the pot

according to ranking cryteria Russia and Greece will play in Canada or Croatia

i don't think that firs pot will be with the 4 host,but with Fiba never say never

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride
          now we attend the pot

according to ranking cryteria Russia and Greece will play in Canada and Croatia

i
          FIBA said it will geographically established pots, so only in it rankings will apply IMO. Let's say we have 8 European teams left, so obviously there should be 2 pots of 4 and probably they will be picked by ranking - in 1st one higher ranked, in 2nd lower:

1: Greece, Russia, Czechs, Italy
          2: Poland, Turkey, Slovenia, Germany

Also I guess Canada will get only 1 Americas team in their group, so other 5 will be drawn in European OQT (2+2+1)

1: Brazil, Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep., Venezuela
          2: Mexico, Uruguay

Lithuania - Euro 1 - Euro 2 - Americas 1 - Americas 2 or Asia/Africa - Asia/Africa
          Serbia - Euro 1 - Euro 2 - Americas 1 - Americas 2 or Asia/Africa - Asia/Africa
          Croatia - Euro 1 - Euro 2 - Americas 1 - Americas 2 or Asia/Africa - Asia/Africa
          Canada - Euro 1 - Euro 2 - Americas 1 - Asia - Africa

Only a guess of course

Comment

Good for Canada, though I'm surprised they went with Victoria over the Toronto area or Vancouver proper
            Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
              FIBA said it will geographically established pots, so only in it rankings will apply IMO. Let's say we have 8 European teams left, so obviously there should be 2 pots of 4 and probably they will be picked by ranking - in 1st one higher ranked, in 2nd lower:

1: Greece, Russia, Czechs, Italy
              2: Poland, Turkey, Slovenia, Germany

Also I guess Canada will get only 1 Americas team in their group, so other 5 will be drawn in European OQT (2+2+1)

1: Brazil, Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep., Venezuela
              2: Mexico, Uruguay

Lithuania - Euro 1 - Euro 2 - Americas 1 - Americas 2 or Asia/Africa - Asia/Africa
              Serbia - Euro 1 - Euro 2 - Americas 1 - Americas 2 or Asia/Africa - Asia/Africa
              Croatia - Euro 1 - Euro 2 - Americas 1 - Americas 2 or Asia/Africa - Asia/Africa
              Canada - Euro 1 - Euro 2 - Americas 1 - Asia - Africa

Only a guess of course

7 american teams,so in the 3 tournament will be two americans NT,in one group only one

in Canada's tournament will be at least 2 Europeans Team

Canada
              Eu
              Eu
              Asia
              Africa
              Eu or Ame

i think in one of the european tournament will be only 2 European teams (host + another)

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                Good for Canada
                Yeah I hope they make it to the Olympics and we finally see their A team. They are absolutely loaded with talent.
                Potentially on paper they can field a deep unbelievable team second only to the US. It’s funny that if they finally do assemble their best it would dwarf what they could have sent at any previous time. They currently have 11 NBA players averaging 19 minutes a game or more in the worlds greatest league. And all 11 are under 30 years old.

Tristan Thompson is having a career year, as is Andrew Wiggins averaging 26 points a game. Gilgeous-Alexander in his second year has been a break out star. Jamal Murray is a stud. Rookies Barrett and Clarke have been among the best in the league. Dillon Brooks has bounced back from injury and he looks like the real deal. Dwight Powell is a solid NBA bench rotation player. And that’s not even mentioning the old 29 year olds Olynyk and Joseph. Trey Lyles is also starting in San Antonio and averaging 8 rebounds a game. Pangos, Stauskas , Birch and Alexander-Walker are others that can make the roster as well. This team is an absolute beast. And the coach ain’t too bad either.
                Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post

i think in one of the european tournament will be only 2 European teams (host + another)
                  It depends on how draw rules will be settled. If the way I wrote, then these 8 teams ( 2 different pots) will be drawn into all 4 groups with 2 each without any additional precautions, so it makes two Euros for Canada and two for each other host. If pots will be different, and there'll be rule "no more than 3 Euros in one group", then there'll be a chance for Canada to have 3 too

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                    It depends on how draw rules will be settled. If the way I wrote, then these 8 teams ( 2 different pots) will be drawn into all 4 groups with 2 each without any additional precautions, so it makes two Euros for Canada and two for each other host. If pots will be different, and there'll be rule "no more than 3 Euros in one group", then there'll be a chance for Canada to have 3 too
                    Fiba says:

<i> The draw will divide qualified teams from the five FIBA regions into geographically balanced groups </i>

so three european teams ine ach tournament,except one of them

if you consider that african plus asiatic team are six team,it means that one tournament will be composed between:

3 european NT
                    1 asiatic "
                    1 african "
                    1 american "

and if i'm right with the previous sentence in the other three tournament will be 2 american NT for each tournament

so another tournament will be composed between:

2 european NT
                    2 american "
                    1 african "
                    1 asiatic "

are you agree with me Mindozas?Does my reasoning make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                      Good for Canada, though I'm surprised they went with Victoria over the Toronto area or Vancouver proper
                      Victoria (and the promoters) put on a really good event a couple years ago in a series of friendlies with China. It was well attended and well done.

Victoria is a mid sized city (400K pop.) with no pro sports teams and not a good amount of entertainment options. It is a pretty good bball town and it has a nice 7000 person stadium that will likely be sold out and tickets at a premium. It is also close enough to Vancouver to draw a good crowd from there. Events like this can get lost in a crowded sports scene in Toronto - it will be a main event in Victoria.

Putting China here would be smart by FIBA - with the huge Chinese population in Victoria and Vancouver.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                        Yeah I hope they make it to the Olympics and we finally see their A team. They are absolutely loaded with talent.
                        Potentially on paper they can field a deep unbelievable team second only to the US. It’s funny that if they finally do assemble their best it would dwarf what they could have sent at any previous time. They currently have 11 NBA players averaging 19 minutes a game or more in the worlds greatest league. And all 11 are under 30 years old.

Tristan Thompson is having a career year, as is Andrew Wiggins averaging 26 points a game. Gilgeous-Alexander in his second year has been a break out star. Jamal Murray is a stud. Rookies Barrett and Clarke have been among the best in the league. Dillon Brooks has bounced back from injury and he looks like the real deal. Dwight Powell is a solid NBA bench rotation player. And that’s not even mentioning the old 29 year olds Olynyk and Joseph. Trey Lyles is also starting in San Antonio and averaging 8 rebounds a game. Pangos, Stauskas , Birch and Alexander-Walker are others that can make the roster as well. This team is an absolute beast. And the coach ain’t too bad either.
                        Call me Charlie Brown but I think it is going to all come together this summer. It is on home soil - no more excuses!

We really only need half these guys to show up....

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post

We really only need half these guys to show up....
                          That just illustrates the incredible depth. 3 of the top 15 NBA leaders in minutes played are Canadian, and 5 of the top 45.
                          That’s 5 guys playing 33+ minutes a game. Couple that with the fact that all 11 of those guys are either in their prime now or even years away from achieving it. If it ever comes together a lot of non NBA followers are in for a shock when they see the talent that Canada has developed.
                          Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

2016 tournament was great fun in Belgrade. Hope it will be as good as back then next year. Very interesting tournaments up coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                              are you agree with me Mindozas?Does my reasoning make sense?
                              It makes sense, I think we are close to what will happen. But actually funny thing is that we don't even know how the tournaments will shape up, will it be round robin format, or as it was done previously - 2 group with 3 teams each, then semis and final. Latter makes more sense bearing mind mind that it will be 6 days tournament.

Btw, I re-watched 2016 draw ceremony, so if FIBA will keep the same system, then all hosts won't be in 1st pot, but will be drawn later with their geographical "neighbors". Serbia and Lithuania will be in the same what so ever then due to ranking. But again, with FIBA you can never know what will happen

Anyway, if it will be the same like in 2016, I'd guess smth like that

1 pot: Serbia, Greece, Lithuania, Russia
                              2 pot: Czech Rep, Italy, Poland, Croatia
                              3 pot: Brazil, Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep, Venezuela
                              4 pot: Canada, Turkey, Slovenia, Germany
                              5 pot: Angola, Tunisia, Senegal, New Zealand
                              6 pot: Mexico, Uruguay, China, Korea

Comment

The pots will be decided in a few days. I think there are two scenarios. In the first one the pots should be:

Based only on FIBA Rankings.

Pot1: Serbia, Greece, Lithuania, Russia
                                Pot2: Czech Rep., Brazil, Italy, Poland
                                Pot3: Croatia, Turkey, Slovenia, Puerto Rico
                                Pot4: Germany, Dominican Rep., Venezuela, Canada
                                Pot5: New Zealand, Mexico, China, Korea
                                Pot6: Angola, Tunisia, Senegal, Uruguay

In this case Canada and Croatia are favored because they avoid Serbia and Lithuania. Furthermore Canada will avoid six teams: Serbia, Croatia, Lithuania, Germany, Venezuela and DR. On the other hand Croatia will skip Serbia, Lithuania, Canada, Turkey, Slovenia and PR. If these two teams gather all their good players, they will have a very good advantage for the Olympics. In this scenario geographical restrictions are a little mess.
                                There is a second scenario, with slim chances. Then the pots should be:

Based on hosts and FIA rankings.

Pot1: Serbia, Croatia, Lithuania,Canada
                                Pot2: Greece, Russia Czech Rep., Brazil
                                Pot3: Italy, Poland, Turkey, Slovenia
                                Pot4: Puerto Rico, Germany, Dominican Rep., Venezuela
                                Pot5: New Zealand, Mexico, China, Korea
                                Pot6: Angola, Tunisia, Senegal, Uruguay

In that case the pots are more clear and FIBA can define geographical restrictions. But it's a bit unfair for some teams that they will lose their ranking in the favour of the host teams.

P.S. Brazil's position in the draw is a question mark and will define the America's pots.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information