Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Russia did enjoy it less, I've seen lot of negative opinions regarding naturalized players, lately even players admitted that they feel way better without any naturalized players on team, i.e. such Bolomboy wasn't that welcome in NT, even tho his mother is Russian. I can't say about general opinion in Slovenia or Macedonia, cause I'm not reading their forums/comments.
    Anyway, good that at least not much people in FIBA sees nationality in national team sports as imaginary construct
    If some Russian fans online enjoyed it any less that's too bad. 2007 was the likely apex of their national team success & they'd rather harbor negativity over an imagined national construct. Joel Bolomboy wasn't welcome? Hmmm, wonder why...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Diesel View Post
    If some Russian fans online enjoyed it any less that's too bad. 2007 was the likely apex of their national team success & they'd rather harbor negativity over an imagined national construct. Joel Bolomboy wasn't welcome? Hmmm, wonder why...
    There's nothing to wonder about actually - it's national team competition, so they just follows the idea of it, the same way I do, even tho I has nothing against Bolomboy, cause his mother is at least Russian, but I'm totally against JR Holden, Kelly McCarthy, Travis Hansen cases. If you dislike that imagined national construct - that's fine, there's already competition format for your taste - it's called clubs basketball NBA, Euroleague or some other you maybe prefer has no restrictions what comes to foreign players, all is open, all 12 or more can be non local citizens. Maybe NT competition format its just simply not your cup of tea? As its build exactly for the reason to compete among nations. To decide which one is the best in one sport or another. That's the main idea of it ever since it started. What's the point in it if there'll be foreigner competing for other nation. It's like adding one older player to some u-20 youth competition. No sense at all. If you are missing a player in one given position, it's nothing but your own problem - live with it, try to cope with it, try to play differently, change the playing system, youth development system. Lithuania is short of PGs and it's also just our problem, the holes in our youth development system back in 90s. There are many ways, not try to choose the easiest one, its a shame that FIBA allows it to some degree and competition is long time not what was supposed to be, but it always can get worse, so I can live with current format

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516