No announcement yet.

2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed the topic to 2020, I hope you don't mind soulis79, as OQT will be held next year

Talking about hosting, Sabonis talked about it yesterday, said that Lithuania would go for this, but money might be the problem, FIBA again should arrange the auction and starting bid will be 3mln euros... Will FIBA care about anything else than money? I guess no, none other criteria will apply most likely as it happened in 2012, when Venezuela was gifted OQT just for being able to pay the most (5mln). Also there are rumours that all 4 tournaments might be shared between the continents - Africa, Asia/Oceania, Americas, Europe, but since money talks, I wouldn't bet on it, as who from Africa could pay such money or have needed facilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
      I changed the topic to 2020, I hope you don't mind soulis79, as OQT will be held next year

Talking about hosting, Sabonis talked about it yesterday, said that Lithuania would go for this, but money might be the problem, FIBA again should arrange the auction and starting bid will be 3mln euros... Will FIBA care about anything else than money? I guess no, none other criteria will apply most likely as it happened in 2012, when Venezuela was gifted OQT just for being able to pay the most (5mln). Also there are rumours that all 4 tournaments might be shared between the continents - Africa, Asia/Oceania, Americas, Europe, but since money talks, I wouldn't bet on it, as who from Africa could pay such money or have needed facilities?
      I have no hard feelings about that, Mindozas

Senegal had expressed interest to organise one tournament. They have Dakar Arena. The problem with African countries is financial resources.

Comment

Originally posted by soulis79 View Post
        I have no hard feelings about that, Mindozas

Senegal had expressed interest to organise one tournament. They have Dakar Arena. The problem with African countries is financial resources.
        Didn't know that Senegal build new arena - 15k, nice looking, that changes things a bit for Africa. But as you pointed out - money is still the issue, unless Senegal government will find the funds like they found it for arena

Comment

Originally posted by soulis79 View Post
          I think Lithuania is the perfect candidate to organise one of the pre-Olympic tournaments.

2.3M Euros is the price.

Comment

Is it clear how those wild cards are given? And what happens if one of the not qualified team wants to host 1 qualifying tournament and is ready to pay that or even more money. I'm just saying because Finnish coach Dettmann said earlier this year that Finland has change to one of those wild cards. I really hope that FIBA is not going to sell it by auction again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyh View Post
              Is it clear how those wild cards are given? And what happens if one of the not qualified team wants to host 1 qualifying tournament and is ready to pay that or even more money. I'm just saying because Finnish coach Dettmann said earlier this year that Finland has change to one of those wild cards. I really hope that FIBA is not going to sell it by auction again.
              FIBA announced few months ago that WCs will be given to teams via FIBA ranking - highest ranked NTs in each continent, which are not qualified to QG or OQT will get WCs. But as you know it's FIBA, so nothing will surprise me

Comment

I always wish for the best possible, strongest Olympic field with teams that have the most potential to make noise to make it. So in that vein I will be rooting for Serbia, Greece, Lithuania and Canada to be the 4 qualifying tournament winners.
                I wouldn’t mind if Slovenia, Croatia or Latvia earned a birth either. I feel like these teams have the most potential and if everything goes perfect for them can make this tournament even stronger and more fun to watch.
                Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                  I always wish for the best possible, strongest Olympic field with teams that have the most potential to make noise to make it. So in that vein I will be rooting for Serbia, Greece, Lithuania and Canada to be the 4 qualifying tournament winners.
                  I wouldn’t mind if Slovenia, Croatia or Latvia earned a birth either. I feel like these teams have the most potential and if everything goes perfect for them can make this tournament even stronger and more fun to watch.
                  I think Canada has the biggest difference between results and potential that it's probably insane to assume they get who they need to commit to two events next summer and somehow avoid a shit draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
                    I think Canada has the biggest difference between results and potential that it's probably insane to assume they get who they need to commit to two events next summer and somehow avoid a shit draw.
                    For all those teams involved in the qualifying it’s really one big tournament. The qualifying tournament is July 6th and the Olympics begin July 25th. And with the Olympic tournament being cut to only 6 games helps too. Using history as our guide you’re probably right and won’t happen but potentially if they put their A team together I think they would be really strong.
                    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                      For all those teams involved in the qualifying it’s really one big tournament. The qualifying tournament is July 6th and the Olympics begin July 25th. And with the Olympic tournament being cut to only 6 games helps too. Using history as our guide you’re probably right and won’t happen but potentially if they put their A team together I think they would be really strong.
                      When it comes to Canada and it's roster I've seen the use of the word rosterbating. There is an obsession with what can be that we never really talk about what usually is and at the moment besides their coach their national team doesn't appear to be super organized.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                        FIBA announced few months ago that WCs will be given to teams via FIBA ranking - highest ranked NTs in each continent, which are not qualified to QG or OQT will get WCs. But as you know it's FIBA, so nothing will surprise me
                        That's what I thought too and I was very surprised when Dettmann said that. Today he gave interview where he stated that there should be EC, WC or OG every year. He is also very loud qualification window supporter. He is also man that has been fired from every club team job that he has ever had.

But Fiba is Fiba. If Finland pays 5M€ to Fiba I need to buy game tickets...

Comment

Is there anything known about the date when these tournaments will take place? The main problem with theset tournaments is always the restricted amount of time available for a solid preparation.
                          You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fasoulaki View Post
                            Is there anything known about the date when these tournaments will take place? The main problem with theset tournaments is always the restricted amount of time available for a solid preparation.
                            on July (first week)

Comment

Originally posted by fasoulaki View Post
                              July 6th-12th was the latest date that I saw announced

Today I read Danilovic saying that Serbian federation will have support from Serbian government to host OQT. So it makes Lithuania, Serbia and Greece as possible candidates from Europe

Comment

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
                                When it comes to Canada and it's roster I've seen the use of the word rosterbating. There is an obsession with what can be that we never really talk about what usually is and at the moment besides their coach their national team doesn't appear to be super organized.
                                There has been a hell of a allot of introspection in Canada with why all the no-shows this summer. For once the media has really dug in to try to figure out what is going on.

There is no good answer - it is nuanced and complicated. Everything from the the bad FIBA schedule (6 week time commitment, timing of WC prior to the season, a year before the Olympics) to injuries (Murray, Brook, Ennis, Olynyk, Barrett), to agent pressure (Boucher, SGA), to lack of passion/nationalism (Wiggins/Lyles?), the geography (China). Lots of talk that many of the guys are too young and we shouldn't expect them to play before they are financially set. Need to remember that some of these guys like Trey Lyles are really Americans and probably never show up. Lots going into it - I can send you some links to good articles if you want to read more about it.

There was an interview with an agent Mike George who is Canadian, reps a load of Canadian players and has coached many of these guys back in the AAU days (CIA Bounce). He made a convincing argument that summer was a bad coincidental mix of everything going wrong that could go wrong. He said the Jamal Murray, RJ Barrett , Dillon Brooks, Tyler Ennis, Kelly Olynyk injuries were all legit and their clubs intervened otherwise those guys wanted to play. SGA got pushed out by club/agent pressure because he was just traded to OKC and so young (pre big money). The rookies never usually play (Clarke, Kabengele, NAW, Shayok, Barrett) but a couple of them seem quite interested (NAW and Barrett at least - Brissett was there too). Mike George said the timing of the tournament was awful, being a year before the Olympics is terrible (guys didnt want to play two summers in a row), the location sucked....blah, blah, blah. This is an agents perspective mind you.
                                He said that guys really do want to play, have more passion for this than people think and and next summer, with the Qualifiers right after the NBA season we should see more guys play. We wont see the FAs (which I think is at least Brooks and Tristan Thompson next summer - Olynyk has a player option). And we should be doubtful we see too many guys on rookie deals or non-guarantees.

We will never get full turnout - it just won't happen, so people can roster-bate all they want. But my hope is with 17 guaranteed NBA contracts, a few more on the edge and more and more good players in Europe, we can find that special mix sometime soon. 5 or 7 great NBA talents mixed with 5 or 7 of our best European based talents. With the right mix and right chemistry maybe we can do something. I think the team we nearly had (Olynyk, Boucher, Murray, SGA, Barrett) was enough to compete with anyone in the WC. And I'd keep the core of this WC team - Pangos, Wiltjer, Ejim, Birch, CoJo, Phil Scrubb - together for next summer hopefully with some good NBA re-reinforcements.

I do think this group of NBA guys really want to play - CoJo, Olynyk, Thompson, Birch, Brooks, Powell, SGA, Barrett, NAW. But there will be issues with some every summer with FAs, injuries and youth/contracts.

I am never counting on Wiggins or Lyles until they actually show up. And I have no idea about Kabengele and Clarke - but some other young guys seem quite interested. Brissett, Wigginton, Shayok, Andrew Nembhard, AJ Lawson, Addison Patterson.

The sheer volume is there with more coming....

And there is no doubt Canada Basketball is not the most organized federation - it has been chronically underfunded for decades and plague by infighting and poor coaching (sounds like every other federation). This may be changing with Nick Nurse and more importantly MLSE and OVO/Drake taking a more active financial interest.

Edit:
                                Here is one artcle worth the read:

There is an even better one on The Athletic by Blake Murphy an awsome Raptors reporter if anyone is a subscriber.
                                Last edited by mojo13; 09-17-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information