No announcement yet.

2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all knew it but it seems to be safe now. According to Turkish Journalists who talked with Greek Journalists Giannis wont be during the qualifiers with the NT.

Ilyasova is on the turkish side also not safe but since it is his last chance to play Olympics he will come this time too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
      Because Greeks hasnt even a turkish contribution of youth and has with Tylor Dorsey and Zach Auguste two naturalizations. In addition to that also Kostas Koufos, Nick Calathes and the Antetoloumpos who would have counted today also as naturalizations. Everyone can complain, greeks cant.
      Zach Auguste has never played with the Greek NT, get your facts straight. Antetokounmpo family are born and raised in Greece pretty much like Ersan Ilyasova but they were not forced to change their name or fake their age fyi. The speculation about Giannis playing on summer is based on the Bucks playoffs run, not any official info from him or his agent. So that's pretty much some BS talk.
      1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by R1ou View Post
        Zach Auguste has never played with the Greek NT, get your facts straight. Antetokounmpo family are born and raised in Greece pretty much like Ersan Ilyasova but they were not forced to change their name or fake their age fyi. The speculation about Giannis playing on summer is based on the Bucks playoffs run, not any official info from him or his agent. So that's pretty much some BS talk.
        The Antetokounmpos got their passport after their 18th birthday just because they showed talent on basketball. He should have been counted as naturalized but Fiba decided otherwise because he was born in Greece (as child of refugees).

Well its pretty sure that he wont play in the qualifiers but i will rout for you. You will need him to have a chance to qualify for the Olympics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
          The Antetokounmpos got their passport after their 18th birthday just because they showed talent on basketball. He should have been counted as naturalized but Fiba decided otherwise because he was born in Greece (as child of refugees).

Well its pretty sure that he wont play in the qualifiers but i will rout for you. You will need him to have a chance to qualify for the Olympics.

If you find any sources for Giannis’s absence, please be sure to post it. This is equally interesting to Canadian fans and we’d live to know. It’s all speculation from what I’ve seen so far.

Comment

• I was never a fan of neutralization. But with Larkin I want him on our team because he wanted this and not our federation. He asked for this and campainged for this.
            He is also a great player which might have affected my wiev as well

Comment

• Good for Larkin. Good for Turkey. Always the same "purity" obsessed countries who cry about naturalization.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Diesel View Post
                Good for Larkin. Good for Turkey. Always the same "purity" obsessed countries who cry about naturalization.
                Purity. Serbia has a black player who played for years in youth categories because of his mother from South America and noone gives a shit if you are black, white, yellow, Christian, Muslim. We are against naturilzation of foreign players. And you are a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                  For me Russia 2007 , Macedonia 2011, Slovenia 2017 fantastic achievements smells badly and I'm not surprised all of them struggling badly now.

When you don't think how to fix problem long term,but just trying to buy with money and ale fixing short term problems eventually you are getting nowhere.

When Turks already bought 3 different Americans in like last 5-6 years it's just show no pride at all.Rule is rules sure,but what turkey doing with new American in every tournament is just shameful act even if it's playing by stupid rule.

No love and no support for such team.In national team competions pride wearing your NT t-shirt and hearing your anthem should mean something.
                  Slovenia is struggling mostly because of stupid windows. We all know that best players are playing in Nba or Euroleague and you are playing qualifications in the middle of the season? It won't hurt big nations. But it will defiantly hurt small ones, especially if basketball is not sport #1. It will be a great pleasure putting you out of Olympics.
                  previously known as Beno

Comment

• Originally posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
                    But you’re no stranger to empty yapping yourself. What makes you unbearable is this judgemental “my view is the only correct one” attitude of yours. Grow the ef up. You come with a weird list of players you worship, like Teodosic... who’s entire NBA career was dunking water bottles on the Clippers bench. Okay these guys are elite for EUROPEAN standards, but Larkin is too... even better than Teo... so rationally speaking Larkin is also in this list of yours...
                    Why did you stuck so much with that list? It is not some kind of a definite list, it's just for example reasons. Can't you really understand that the first list is of talented players that are actually national players, and the second list of players are talented naturalised players that have nothing to do with the country that they "proudly" represent. So obviously Larkin is in the talented players list, but definitely not in the same list with national players it National Teams Championships.

Originally posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
                    But that’s where the problem starts, you are not rational. I don’t tolerate irrational fallacies.... a player is not defined by his jersey, but by what he is. Doncic was offered to be naturalized by Spain, just like Mirotic. Let’s say he accepted, suddenly he’s not worthy to be on this list of yours?? Even though he’s the most impressive name on it. You see your logical flaw? You can make up weird criteria and live it in your head, that’s your problem... but don’t bother me with it, because subjectively I dont agree with your nationality obsessed view. You can disagree with the rule of Fiba to allow a naturalization, but what you’re doing is nitpicking. Larkin cant play for his homecountry, so many would love to land him (Croatia tried). When people criticize his naturalization, even though this rule has exited and has been USED FOR YEARS now (countless naturalized players but we “”spread this shit trend””)? When I dont see constructive criticism I can only use terms like bitter, jealous and crybaby. If you’re not the first or second you surely are the third. I mean Doncic and Dragic on your list won a eurobasket medal with this “shit trend”, Randolph probably hasnt spent more than a week in Slovenia but was recruited by his former teammate and being the talented player he is was very valuable in the Euros. This is far from being a trend, it’s common practice.
                    A player is defined by what he is - exactly. Larkin is american, no connections to Turkey at all. Dončič is slovenian, the key thing in his case is that yes exactly he did not accept Spain's offer, he did not choose the easy way out, just like nations choose while trying to buy out foreigners to their national teams. Luka's decision just shows his strong character and embraces his reputation. It's a shame Slovenia decided to add Randolph in the squad, cause yet again that's the freaking easy way out to solve your roster problem for one year. There are no logical flaws here. Just two lists: national players vs. naturalised players. This is not a nationality obsessed view. This is not a view at all, dude. It's your nationality, you will always be turkish, lithuanians will always be lithuanians, etc. Yes, you can change the citizenship, but you are who you are, just like you said in the first part of your paragraph. Shit-trend, shit-common-practice, call it what you want, it still has the same feeling. Obviously you do spread this trend, cause you exploit it, don't you? All the countries that exploit this rule, spreads the trend. There's no point in discussing this matter further, because we obviously disagree, and you use a lot of whataboutism, trying to make excuses and coming up with examples like "what about Slovenia with Randolph, what about Spain with Mirotič, what about countless other nations". Why don't you go with examples "what about Serbia, what about Lithuania". Great teams with great winning history, with no naturalised players. Why don't you go that route?

I guess only people from Serbia can understand this.

As a matter of fact, I really can not understand of how can people support such rule. Let's take into account top young prospects that have a dream to represent their country in the highest level national tournaments. Then all of a sudden federation just decides to buy a foreign player to fill up their roster's missing spots. What can you think as a young player? You work really hard day after day, and suddenly the federation decides not to give a shit about you and buy Wilbekin/Larkin/Randolph/McCalebb/Whatever. It's a shame, it's just a very short term decision.

Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
                    It will be a great pleasure putting you out of Olympics.
                    Sure, just don't forget to recruit some Anthony Randolph/Jordan Morgan/any other big that has nothing to do with Slovenia. I hope Dončič plays this summer, so you guys will be out of excuses for missing 2nd major tournament in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
                      Why did you stuck so much with that list? It is not some kind of a definite list, it's just for example reasons. Can't you really understand that the first list is of talented players that are actually national players, and the second list of players are talented naturalised players that have nothing to do with the country that they "proudly" represent. So obviously Larkin is in the talented players list, but definitely not in the same list with national players it National Teams Championships.

A player is defined by what he is - exactly. Larkin is american, no connections to Turkey at all. Dončič is slovenian, the key thing in his case is that yes exactly he did not accept Spain's offer, he did not choose the easy way out, just like nations choose while trying to buy out foreigners to their national teams. Luka's decision just shows his strong character and embraces his reputation. It's a shame Slovenia decided to add Randolph in the squad, cause yet again that's the freaking easy way out to solve your roster problem for one year. There are no logical flaws here. Just two lists: national players vs. naturalised players. This is not a nationality obsessed view. This is not a view at all, dude. It's your nationality, you will always be turkish, lithuanians will always be lithuanians, etc. Yes, you can change the citizenship, but you are who you are, just like you said in the first part of your paragraph. Shit-trend, shit-common-practice, call it what you want, it still has the same feeling. Obviously you do spread this trend, cause you exploit it, don't you? All the countries that exploit this rule, spreads the trend. There's no point in discussing this matter further, because we obviously disagree, and you use a lot of whataboutism, trying to make excuses and coming up with examples like "what about Slovenia with Randolph, what about Spain with Mirotič, what about countless other nations". Why don't you go with examples "what about Serbia, what about Lithuania". Great teams with great winning history, with no naturalised players. Why don't you go that route?

I guess only people from Serbia can understand this.

As a matter of fact, I really can not understand of how can people support such rule. Let's take into account top young prospects that have a dream to represent their country in the highest level national tournaments. Then all of a sudden federation just decides to buy a foreign player to fill up their roster's missing spots. What can you think as a young player? You work really hard day after day, and suddenly the federation decides not to give a shit about you and buy Wilbekin/Larkin/Randolph/McCalebb/Whatever. It's a shame, it's just a very short term decision.

Sure, just don't forget to recruit some Anthony Randolph/Jordan Morgan/any other big that has nothing to do with Slovenia. I hope Dončič plays this summer, so you guys will be out of excuses for missing 2nd major tournament in a row.
                      And we are still current Eurobasket champions. Nobody will say much, if Slovenia misses qualifications, but I wonder what will happen in Lithuania, if you don’t qualify? I always liked Lithuania, was a big fan of Sabonis, Saras...but I am a bit disappointed with your production of new players lately. Not much to cheer about, maybe you should bring some American guard?
                      previously known as Beno

Comment

• Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
                        And we are still current Eurobasket champions. Nobody will say much, if Slovenia misses qualifications, but I wonder what will happen in Lithuania, if you don’t qualify? I always liked Lithuania, was a big fan of Sabonis, Saras...but I am a bit disappointed with your production of new players lately. Not much to cheer about, maybe you should bring some American guard?
                        No worries. Our potential talent pool of 20's compared to 10's might be more than fine. Unless you ask Lithuanian Doncic, that's not going to happen anywhere soon.
                        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                        Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                          No worries. Our potential talent pool of 20's compared to 10's might be more than fine. Unless you ask Lithuanian Doncic, that's not going to happen anywhere soon.
                          Great for you. Kids in Slovenia, unfortunately for basketball, are very good in many other sports, which in combination with population of only 2 mio people means, that we just don’t have pool big enough. https://www.greatestsportingnation.c...apita-cup-2019
                          So when opportunity came for Randolph, it was an easy choice. About Serbia, they wanted Luka, even though he never lived in Serbia, his mother is Slovenian, and his father was born in Slovenia (and lived in Slovenia) to Slovenian mother. That would have been ok?
                          previously known as Beno

Comment

Like Larkinas or Antanas Randolfas, already sounds Lithuanian I hope it won't happen ever tho. I'd better be left out of qualifying to Olympics for the first time in our NT history and it would be big blow for me, then qualify with naturalized player. I just couldn't get over myself to cheer the same for such NT. Majority of people feels the same. I could go deeper like saying that this passion for the game and this big national identity roots probably comes from Soviet period when basketball was the only legal gun to fight against Soviets occupation and beating CSKA (army club) was the only way we could kick Soviet army asses. Basketball played big role in that independence fight. We had Žalgiris back then, basically a national team, which also was based solely on Lith players, even tho we had chances to bring guys from abroad, offers to add guys like Tikhonenko, who was great player, but nobody wanted foreigners, even tho we were under the same Soviet regime. Zalgiris was like our national identity in that tough tough time, sport was basically the only way we could express it. That's why Zalgiris vs CSKA battles were so legendary - empty streets, not a chance to get ticket, it was much more than just a game. Then we got back independence and NT was revived again - it took that role from Zalgiris as LT identity flag bearer, especially in first years. It was huge coincidence that in 1992 Olympics the most important game for bronze was played against Soviets. I was a little kid back then, but it meant so much for the nation, that I can remember the spirit around that game like it was yesterday. Btw, there is great documentary of that period called "The Other Dream Team". Nowadays of course lot of changed, the world, the views, all this globalization thing, but LT NT is still more than just a team here, smth that can be called our and stay untouched. Still like an identity of our small nation, a thing we can be proud of, the way we can express ourselves, a thing that unite us - all the Liths around the world. Maybe some other nations sees it different, maybe basketball means less, I'm not blaming them for that if they doesn't feel wrong by adding some American and still cheer the same way for NTs, but adding naturalized player in LT NT would ruin a lot of that feeling and things I've wrote about. At times achievements is not the most important thing

Comment

• I believe Lithuanian and Slovenian position is totally different. Slovenia is very small country and basketball just another sport. Pool of players really small. Lithuania is small country too, but basketball is the Sport. Pool of players enormous, for that kind of country. No real need to bring foreign players.
                              previously known as Beno

Comment

Great for you. Kids in Slovenia, unfortunately for basketball, are very good in many other sports, which in combination with population of only 2 mio people means, that we just don’t have pool big enough. https://www.greatestsportingnation.c...apita-cup-2019
                                So when opportunity came for Randolph, it was an easy choice. About Serbia, they wanted Luka, even though he never lived in Serbia, his mother is Slovenian, and his father was born in Slovenia (and lived in Slovenia) to Slovenian mother. That would have been ok?
                                Poor Serbia. At least he loves Zvezda. Which is pretty equally fine to me

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information