2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
    Very good Lithuanian roster for Qualifers!

Lithuania is keeping up it's great quality, depth and especially "winning culture". I am a big fan of Lithuanian team.
    It's for Eurobasket qualifying window mate, not for Olympics QT

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
      It's for Eurobasket qualifying window mate, not for Olympics QT
      I know, bro. Would be a little too early for Olympics

Comment

I know, bro. Would be a little too early for Olympics
        Sure, you got me a bit confused by posting it here Not a big deal of course and agree, that's a good list, especially bearing in mind that we'll add guys to backcourt from EL like Grigonis, Lekavicius, Jokubaitis, Giedraitis. Then of course Gudaitis will be needed too, if NBA guys won't be available. But anyway, if Slovenes will come without Doncic, then Dragic won't reconsider his retirement, we should be fine

Comment

• Possible USA team without NBA players? How the team would look?

Mike James, Malcom Delaney, TY Lawson, Norris Cole
          Cory Higgins, Lance Stephenson
          Will Clymburn, Sonny Weems
          Derick Williams, Jordan Mickey, Deshaun Thomas
          Brandon Davis, Kyle Hines, Bryant Dunston

Man, it's tough. I personally can't decide whenever this team would look better than 2019 WC team or not? I don't think even Mike Hames or Higgins is even close to the talent Kemba and Mithell possess, but the team would probably be more physical, experienced and tougher (frontcourt) overall and having way much more FIBA experience, so much more ready for it.

As for OG, I don't really think USA can really gather such team. Will all these players suddenly available, caring about USA? I'm not sure. If they would, on the paper this is still probably the best roster (without NBA players). But this roster would be completely new, would it work? I would probably think that established and oiled NTs as Serbia, Lithuania, Greece, Argentina and so might have and edge over such roster because of more coherence. Anyway, if USA would gather all best from Euroleague, China, and maybe would add one or two upcoming super studs from NCAA/G league, it would still be the team to beat.
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• ^^^

Brandon Davies is respected citizen of Uganda and proud member of its national team of the game of basketball, while Dunston played for Armenia

Comment

^^^

Brandon Davies is respected citizen of Uganda and proud member of its national team of the game of basketball, while Dunston played for Armenia

Looks like this is all moot once again as the NBA bounces around trying to figure out what to do with its 20/21 season. After some horrible ratings for the playoffs, the NBA now looks to avoid going up against the NFL and NCAA football at all costs.

They state they are now targeting a Christmas start time, a reduced 72 game season with no all-star game (but perhaps a two week break sometime). Reduced travel, more in-market games etc. With goal of having the playoffs done before the Olympics and getting NBA players into the Olympics (Who knows what kind of turnout it could mean for the USA?).

This could have the regular season finished as early as mid-May (no details announced yet) and easily by mid June and could very meaningfully impact the the Qualifiers.

Canada for, one could have access to some of the players that miss the playoff or exit in the first round or two. It could mean no Jamal Murray, Kelly Olynyk or Andrew Wiggins - as I expect their teams to go far in the playoffs but many others could be in play.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                Looks like this is all moot once again as the NBA bounces around trying to figure out what to do with its 20/21 season. After some horrible ratings for the playoffs, the NBA now looks to avoid going up against the NFL and NCAA football at all costs.

They state they are now targeting a Christmas start time, a reduced 72 game season with no all-star game (but perhaps a two week break sometime). Reduced travel, more in-market games etc. With goal of having the playoffs done before the Olympics and getting NBA players into the Olympics (Who knows what kind of turnout it could mean for the USA?).

This could have the regular season finished as early as mid-May (no details announced yet) and easily by mid June and could very meaningfully impact the the Qualifiers.

Canada for, one could have access to some of the players that miss the playoff or exit in the first round or two. It could mean no Jamal Murray, Kelly Olynyk or Andrew Wiggins - as I expect their teams to go far in the playoffs but many others could be in play.
                It's still not perfect, I want the best possible teams even for qualies to decide which ones are worthy to qualify to event like Olympics, but anyway that's a great news to read, things are moving to right direction

Comment

• I read today that players are asking league to start with Martin Luther King Day (January 18th). I still don't see how they want to start it at 22nd of December if draft is scheduled for November 18th. I hope I'm wrong but I am pretty sure we will see NBAless Olympics.

We should know more at October 30th if we are facing December 22nd as the Player's Union has the right of an eight week timespan between agreement with the league and season start. By watching the calender this is already impossible if there's no additional agreement.

I read ESPN before two days, all world is referring to them and also WOJ retweeted them what is also a good sign but litereally noone implicated that late December is the only option. As i said, i hope I am wrong.
                  Last edited by Katastroika; 10-28-2020, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Every nation, institution and being should have respect to the Olympic soul. I hope they start in Dec even though some player start playing later. 72 games are also in the interest of the player even though they get less money.

Comment

• Qualifiers delayed for one week. For me no clear reason, but just to mention it.

Comment

Qualifiers delayed for one week. For me no clear reason, but just to mention it.
                        You mean when new dates were announced few months ago? Indeed it was a bit later than original schedule for 2020. Or it was done now again?

Comment

You mean when new dates were announced few months ago? Indeed it was a bit later than original schedule for 2020. Or it was done now again?
                          I can just say for Serbian tournament - moved from 22nd June beginning to 29th June beginning and lasts until 4th July. This is new.

Comment

I can just say for Serbian tournament - moved from 22nd June beginning to 29th June beginning and lasts until 4th July. This is new.
                            FIBA looks to be accommodating the NBA the best they can. They want the biggest NBA names in the Olympics as well.

It is supposedly the latest start date the IOC will allow.

Good news to me....hopefully more to come with the announcement of an NBA start date.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                              FIBA looks to be accommodating the NBA the best they can. They want the biggest NBA names in the Olympics as well.

It is supposedly the latest start date the IOC will allow.

Good news to me....hopefully more to come with the announcement of an NBA start date.

Turns out this isnt news - it was announced in May. Mark Stein let out a Tweet like it was fresh news. Tricked me too.

Comment

Nah, mate, it's not new, such dates were originally announced back in May I thought maybe they moved the tournaments even closer to Olympics, but seems not, maybe those a bit later dates were the only one available for all sides

https://www.fiba.basketball/news/fib...%204%2C%202021.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information