Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Diesel View Post
    It's hypocritical to be in favor of an American coach & aghast at an American player. I'll try my hand at Serbian fun & throw a heated coin at an opposing player while I hurl ethnic insults at him & mutter nonsense about some war in the 14th century.
    What's a heated coin? The second part was really funny! You would make a good Serb.

Sorry for offtopic.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    What's a heated coin? The second part was really funny! You would make a good Serb.

Sorry for offtopic.
    Opposing players visiting club teams have told stories about fans heating coins with their lighters & hurling at them on the bench or when they're at the foul line. And thank you, I am an honorary Serb at my friend's Sava every January 20th. I've heard it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Diesel View Post
    Opposing players visiting club teams have told stories about fans heating coins with their lighters & hurling at them on the bench free throw line. And thank you, I am an honorary Serb at my friend's Sava every January 20th. I've heard it all.
    I watched with my own eyes at Red Star games during the last decades players being hit by coins (unfortunately not heated), flares (very heated), fire distinguishers, plastic bags filled with urine, chairs but never with heated coins. I feel a little desperate right now because I missed maybe the greatest one.

The really bad thing is that games of national team are usually visited from much more civilized people than those from Red Star (at least I don't feel that comfortable there) - I hope that there will be some Balkan derby at the preparation so that Mike Malone can witness pure Serbian hospitality (heated coins included). The full package.

Believe it or not, I just googled "how to heat coins".
    Last edited by Katastroika; 02-08-2020 at 01:55 AM.

DeShane Davis Karkin

Quote Originally Posted by Obina View Post
    DeShane Davis Karkin
    That's fake news, sadly, but damn, Karkin just sounds too funny

as far as the world is concerned about the pandemic of corona virus, i am not sure the olympic tournament is going to be completed this year or not !but for sure the spirit of the game will survive.

So it is quite likely that the NBA is cancelled for the rest of the season. This leaves us with two options. The Olympics will continue or they will also be cancelled. Either way, let's say the Olympics will continue, then all players will be eligible for the Olympic qualifying tournament. Since the EL and the NBA will probably not continue. If the Olympics are cancelled, then Olympic qualifying tournaments can continue at a later date this summer. Whereby once again, all players will be eligible. The qualified teams can join the remaining qualified teams during next summer (probably). Unless the Olympics will be skipped.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

If the Olympic Qualifying Tournamets are cancelled and the Olympic Games are organized as planned, then there are two ways to decide the teams:

1st way is to invite the teams into the Olympic Games by considering their FIBA rankings. Olympic teams list in this way would be:

USA
    Spain
    Australia
    Argentina
    Serbia
    France
    Greece
    Lithuania
    Czech Republic
    Iran
    Nigeria
    Japan

2nd way is to decide the teams through the World Cup 2019 Final Standings. Olympic teams list in this way would only have one difference which is Poland instead of Greece.

USA
    Spain
    Australia
    Argentina
    Serbia
    France
    Poland
    Lithuania
    Czech Republic
    Iran
    Nigeria
    Japan

Another rumor about the possible teams in the Olympics is to blindly invite the tournaments hosts. These would be Lithuania, Serbia, Croatia and Canada. I think this is the least likely way to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
    If the Olympic Qualifying Tournamets are cancelled and the Olympic Games are organized as planned, then there are two ways to decide the teams:
    The difference between the OQT and the Olympics is one month. If need be, one can also postpone the OQT for a week or two. There is little reason to cancel the OQT while the Olympics are not cancelled. It is more likely that both will be cancelled.

1st way is to invite the teams into the Olympic Games by considering their FIBA rankings. Olympic teams list in this way would be:

USA
    Spain
    Australia
    Argentina
    Serbia
    France
    Greece
    Lithuania
    Czech Republic
    Iran
    Nigeria
    Japan

2nd way is to decide the teams through the World Cup 2019 Final Standings. Olympic teams list in this way would only have one difference which is Poland instead of Greece.

USA
    Spain
    Australia
    Argentina
    Serbia
    France
    Poland
    Lithuania
    Czech Republic
    Iran
    Nigeria
    Japan

Another rumor about the possible teams in the Olympics is to blindly invite the tournaments hosts. These would be Lithuania, Serbia, Croatia and Canada. I think this is the least likely way to happen.
    Slobodan Sarenac, journalist who is 30 years around Serbian national team, told today that there won't be qualifying tournaments and that FIBA is exactly evaluating your two mentioned scenarios - whether the last 4 places will be given via World Cup standings or via FIBA rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Slobodan Sarenac, journalist who is 30 years around Serbian national team, told today that there won't be qualifying tournaments and that FIBA is exactly evaluating your two mentioned scenarios - whether the last 4 places will be given via World Cup standings or via FIBA rankings.
    So they are in between Greece or Poland.

As expected also the Olympic Games will be postponed to 2021 and Canada demanded that also the qualifiers needs to be postponed.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic...t-in-victoria/
    https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic...-be-postponed/

This makes the situation more interesting. Having this tournament one year later is definitely positive for the turkish NT if we want to catch something positive about this Cov 19 shit.

Does this mean, that Eurobasket 2021 will also be moved to some later date or what? Fiba might even decide to play Eurobasket 2021 in 21'22 winter. That would be a shit move. Eurobasket without any European top stars. But that is just my speculation

Does this mean, that Eurobasket 2021 will also be moved to some later date or what? Fiba might even decide to play Eurobasket 2021 in 21'22 winter. That would be a shit move. Eurobasket without any European top stars. But that is just my speculation
    2022 summer obviously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    As expected also the Olympic Games will be postponed to 2021 and Canada demanded that also the qualifiers needs to be postponed.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic...t-in-victoria/
    https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic...-be-postponed/

This makes the situation more interesting. Having this tournament one year later is definitely positive for the turkish NT if we want to catch something positive about this Cov 19 shit.

Should be a positive for Canada as well. Factually there will be less free agents for Canada next summer - only Trey Lyles, Khem Birch and maybe Kelly Olynyk coming off contract. (Olynyk has a player option this summer). And theoretically it gives many of our very young players one more year to mature (especially important for what could be key players in SGA, Clarke, and Barrett). It hopefully allows Dwight Powell (Achilles) to get healthy as well as lesser players like Kevin Pangos (foot) and Nik Stuaskas (knee) - of course other injuries could pop-up next year. The absence of Thomspon, Powell and possibly Olynyk was worrying me for this summer.

Of course this could all be thrown out the window if the NBA moves its season to run from Dec-Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Should be a positive for Canada as well. Factually there will be less free agents for Canada next summer - only Trey Lyles, Khem Birch and maybe Kelly Olynyk coming off contract. (Olynyk has a player option this summer). And theoretically it gives many of our very young players one more year to mature (especially important for what could be key players in SGA, Clarke, and Barrett). It hopefully allows Dwight Powell (Achilles) to get healthy as well as lesser players like Kevin Pangos (foot) and Nik Stuaskas (knee) - of course other injuries could pop-up next year. The absence of Thomspon, Powell and possibly Olynyk was worrying me for this summer.

Of course this could all be thrown out the window if the NBA moves its season to run from Dec-Aug.
    Yeah if you have a young team, many injuries, question marks or promising young talents a more year is always helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    2022 summer obviously.
    No problem if the continental championships will move a year after.. Because it is not qualification for Olympics or World Cup.. And FIBA will make adjustments also for Qualifiers for Continental Cups and World Cup.. maybe will make 3 to 4 games per window to cope up with the schedule before 2023 WC.. Especially for Asian teams that have already postponed their games due to COVID-19..

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post

Or NBA will lessen their games next season.. they did that already during lockout seasons.. maybe a double round robin (58 games) only.. The 2011 season only 66 games played.. while 1999 season only 50 games played.. So there is a possibility.

The abstract picture because of postpone would be this, IMO:

USA, if they ever to face any problems with theirs -+ A team, loses some power due to Lebron's, Leonard's FA and all extreme generation in Lebron, S.Curry, Durant, Harden, Russ becoming 1 year older. There's nothing similar, IMO, after this. Actually after such players as Davis, Lillard, there' no true superstars in USA, how odd it would sound. Imagine studs in their thirties wouldn't show up, and we have a ball game again as in 2019.

Croatia. IMO, should get some benefits. Bog still should be legit, Saric still developing player, Hezonja became somewhat relevant, Bender will benefit from one year development, even Luka Samanic could make a mark. Off course, Croatia may even not be there as Germany would throw them out, but I still believe Croatia should be stronger with all the pieces.

Argentina. I guess the answer is clear. The team won't be stronger in 1 year.

Australia. Goes down a little bit. Mills, Delly, Ingles, Baynes are not getting younger. There' no-one to step into Mill's shoes as of yet, IMO. No guy who can drop thirty when he's in the mood. Ben Simmon's would be more sad ferry tale of "Giannis in 2019 WC", IMO.

Serbia. Teodosic potentially on his full decline. Jokic, Bogdanovic, Micic on a growing path. Bjelica still peaking, IMO. Probably should be even better than in 2019 and to learn mistakes of WC.

France. On a huge growth. They have tons of youngsters, tons of quality, specially defensively and I true guards to go to for FIBA in Fournier, De Collo. I treat France as probably the biggest rival for USA. Serbia doesn't have defensive presence of France.

Spain. Goes down a little bit. Sorry, legend PAU, at 41-42 you won't be the guy. Brother also gets older. Lull is a shadow of himself, Rodriguez is getting old. Rubio and grandpas Gasols, that's pretty much the story. Not a good momentum for Spain, IMO, even if they snatched the title in 2019. Still top 5 team though.

Canada. They get the most of postpone. In one year some of their talents will ripe dramatically, just as they have been doing this season. Canada will have probably second best roster after USA, but they have zero clue what's FIBA and most guys will come out of NBA. France, Serbia are surely superior because they already have it. Knowledge, toughness, defensive team presence.

Lithuania. IMO, it's positive for it. 10's generation - Kalnietis, Maciulis, Jankunas, Seibutis- has been declining since 2017. We are sort of rebuilding since 2019, with Sabonis, Grigonis, Lekavicius snatching key roles. One year will ripe some potential addition as Jokubaitis, Brazdeikis, Kulboka, Sirvydis.

Greece. Sloukas, Calathes are not getting any younger. Giannis won't carry them alone. Lack of substantial younger talents, IMO, is felt by Greece.

I won't go deeper, because it's hard to see which other strong teams making OG. I think now Canada should have an edge over Greece.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 03-31-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Dunno but France doesn't convince me at all. Even not with the upcoming generation. I think it will stay pretty much the same as it is at the World Stage. Same 6-7 teams behind USA and behind them 10 that can beat those 6-7 but there's a obvious quality gap.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast