Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 501

Thread: 2019 - 2020 ASEAN Basketball League

  1. #41
    Senior Member fadzki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,959
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    In terms of set-up and rules, not econimic power or funding, the ABL is actually a better set-up than the PBA in terms of developing local talent appropriate for FIBA.

    Before people mention players names etc, read what i just said above.. I'm referring to set-up, not what money has been able to attract in terms of players...
    Then our NT for SEA Games better get ready for some surprise coz our SEA neighbors NT players are mostly playing in the ABL and they have better development in talent and has better preparation because of the way ABL is set - up better than our own local league, If I was Tim Cone I would be s******* my pants in the taught that they might actually lost the SEA Gold, when was the last time our NT lost in the SEA Games?

  2. #42
    Senior Member analyzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fadzki View Post
    Then our NT for SEA Games better get ready for some surprise coz our SEA neighbors NT players are mostly playing in the ABL and they have better development in talent and har better preparation because of the way ABL is set - up better than our own local league, would not want to be Tim Cone right now, when was the last time our NT lost in the SEA Games..
    It doesn't necessary translate to results, you can develop a player whose at level 2 and covert him to level 6.. but still won't matter if the other league drafts a player already at level 7 and does not improve at all and stays at same level (7)
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

  3. #43
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    20,252
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    Another stupid rule, but this only refers to the PBA, are other leagues included? Some MPBL players are also playing in the D-League..
    depends on players contract kaya some players are released.. if the contract doesn't include the release clause then the player needs to wait until the end of mpbl season..

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    If we had a players union, this woudnt happened.

    Who makes new rules during the season?

  5. #45
    Senior Member mangangalakal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,996
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    All pro players are contractual workers, and under Philippine law, contractual workers can't unionize.
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,124
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Caelan Tiongson retires from professional basketball at the ripe old age of 27.

    And to think that's the age of some PBA rookies.

    https://aseanbasketballleague.com/ab...-27-years-old/

  7. #47
    Senior Member digitalsuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bandung
    Posts
    11,357
    Country: Indonesia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k3ttch View Post
    Caelan Tiongson retires from professional basketball at the ripe old age of 27.

    And to think that's the age of some PBA rookies.

    https://aseanbasketballleague.com/ab...-27-years-old/
    wut. did he get injured or something?
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

  8. #48
    Senior Member mangangalakal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,996
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    wut. did he get injured or something?
    there's life after basketball for him, I guess
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

  9. #49
    Senior Member Alex07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    bahay
    Posts
    8,734

    Default

    sayang maybe he has better opportunities in the corporate world or anywhere else,who knows.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

  10. #50
    Senior Member analyzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16,412

    Default

    I actually understand Tiongson's decision and in fact more players to me should retire early, the standard and income potential isn't really wise to bank on long term.
    Especially the guys in the MPBL, most should be looking for careers outside basketball, they're just too many relying on the sport and for too long as a career

  11. #51
    Senior Member digitalsuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bandung
    Posts
    11,357
    Country: Indonesia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    I actually understand Tiongson's decision and in fact more players to me should retire early, the standard and income potential isn't really wise to bank on long term.
    Especially the guys in the MPBL, most should be looking for careers outside basketball, they're just too many relying on the sport and for too long as a career
    he is actually good. maybe lost passion of the game? im sure he will earn good in the PBA.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

  12. #52
    Senior Member mangangalakal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,996
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    I actually understand Tiongson's decision and in fact more players to me should retire early, the standard and income potential isn't really wise to bank on long term.
    Especially the guys in the MPBL, most should be looking for careers outside basketball, they're just too many relying on the sport and for too long as a career
    problem is most of these players just went to school to play and earn, they do not really intend to learn anything. I was classmates with several varsity players who only showed up on the 1st day of class. they reach adulthood with basketball as their only means of livelihood, so naturally they're gonna milk that for as long as they can
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

  13. #53
    Senior Member analyzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16,412

    Default

    ^
    Of course he can, but from a 15 to 20 year perspective of sustainable income in the US (if he has a career path), the latter is actually more financially prudent and wise.

    Understand not many corporates in the US will be open to a new hire who spent the last 14 years of his life just playing full time basketball

  14. #54
    Senior Member analyzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    problem is most of these players just went to school to play and earn, they do not really intend to learn anything. I was classmates with several varsity players who only showed up on the 1st day of class. they reach adulthood with basketball as their only means of livelihood, so naturally they're gonna milk that for as long as they can
    Which is the point that needs addressing and awareness, I truly believe if we're looking at the true welfare of most of our players unless you're a main contributor (top 4) in your college team (UAAP level), you should be leveraging your scholarship to get a quality education. That objectively is the best advice to be given, too many are relying on the sport as their career fiancial pathway

  15. #55
    Senior Member mangangalakal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,996
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    ^
    Of course he can, but from a 15 to 20 year perspective of sustainable income in the US (if he has a career path), the latter is actually more financially prudent and wise.

    Understand not many corporates in the US will be open to a new hire who spent the last 14 years of his life just playing full time basketball
    that's true in the US but in the PH situation basketball is literally the only life for most players.. this is partly the reason why players want to play for SMC b/c ECJ is generous with post retirement packages.. e.g. he gave Danny I a hog farm. essentially the best move financially for most players in the PH is to play until their legs give out
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

  16. #56
    Senior Member analyzed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    that's true in the US but in the PH situation basketball is literally the only life for most players.. this is partly the reason why players want to play for SMC b/c ECJ is generous with post retirement packages.. e.g. he gave Danny I a hog farm. essentially the best move financially for most players in the PH is to play until their legs give out
    I agree for those in the Philippines who really don't have a clear educational to regular work pathway.

    It's one reason some have opted to just play for the B team but of a prestigious academically college over A team of other colleges

  17. #57
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    he is actually good. maybe lost passion of the game? im sure he will earn good in the PBA.
    His passion is hollywood, he is chasing his ex who be come a bachelorette
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,124
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I just checked. Yup. Looks like he makes Christian reality TV starring himself and his ex.

  19. #59
    Senior Member fadzki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,959
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    His passion is hollywood, he is chasing his ex who be come a bachelorette
    Hopefully not the path a certain collegiate basketball player with a lot of potential would follow...

  20. #60
    Senior Member mangangalakal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,996
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    so the only confirmed players on the Alab roster are:
    Jason Brickman
    Jeremiah Gray
    Lawrence Domingo
    Brandon Rosser
    Renaldo Balkman
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •