Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Former President Fidel V. Ramos

Comment

• So DOJ Sec. Boying Remulla's drug addict son is acquitted of illegal drug case? Wow! At ang bilis naman ng Court decision!

And we are being made to believe that Sec. Remulla never intervened or influenced anybody regarding his son's case.
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Just jumped into this discussion on Philippine politics, and it's quite a passionate exchange of viewpoints.
        Speaking of expressing opinions, I recently stumbled upon one website called Politiq. It's a rad platform where you can freely share your thoughts and engage in discussions about political elections and various political figures. It's worth checking out if you want to dive deeper into the political landscape.
        By the way, as a newbie here, I'm excited to be part of this forum and engage with all of you. It's great to see different perspectives. Keep the conversation going, and don't forget to check out Politiq.net for more political insights. Cheers! Here's the link: https://www.politiq.net/US_President_Republican_Party_Primary_Election_202 4

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
          danding still benefitted from public funds though with all the political favors and campaign financing he has done, was a kingmaker/poet broker after edsa. No different from MVP-Salim (Suharto cronies) Plus wasnt he a ambassador during Marcos’ presidency? so technically he is a public official

anyway too OT
          ​Wait a minute. Salim was a Suharto crony?

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post

​Wait a minute. Salim was a Suharto crony?
            the clan’s patriarch was, here’s some peer reviewed materials regarding the salim group and their links to the suharto regime

https://bookshop.iseas.edu.sg/publication/2004

https://web2-bschool.nus.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/media_rp/publications/O6gRC1516954590.pdf

Comment

• Jesus Christ, Pangilinan. What did you get yourself into?

Comment

Jesus Christ, Pangilinan. What did you get yourself into?
                that’s why dlsu and ateneo are on the same boat, benefiting from the excess money of these cronies. Now UST and UP are part of the club as well so kinda cringe when their admin, faculty and students will speak against corruption.

(and to think im a alumni and employee of 3 of the 4 mentioned schools hahaha)

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                  that’s why dlsu and ateneo are on the same boat, benefiting from the excess money of these cronies. Now UST and UP are part of the club as well so kinda cringe when their admin, faculty and students will speak against corruption.

(and to think im a alumni and employee of 3 of the 4 mentioned schools hahaha)
                  Hey, I'm a UP student, both in my undergrad, and my law degrees (I'm still studying, got delayed). I honestly do not know if I have the conscience to support the men's basketball team. The Bulls, quite frankly, are the only team I support with a clear conscience. National teams too.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARMIR View Post
                    Its a cultural habit,from the time you learned Philippine History,Lapu-Lapu knonws as the first Pinoy "Spanish Killer",somehow same Philippine History skipped the part that Lapu-Lapu was nothing but a hired Indonesian Unglaut,a professional squatter as far as Humabon was concerned.Nonetheless its no excuse to use monikers that foreigners will find offensive in their own land.
                    Originally posted by bluenote49 View Post
                    OT

It's unfortunate that our standard for a national hero is pretty low. Why didn't the lord bless us with a genius scientist who did something not just for PH but also for the world? If Spain hadn't arrived we'd probably be a communist country or worse Africasia.
                    Originally posted by Rds View Post
                    I heard these things about Lapulapu. Do you have a reference for this? You know Lapulapu and his group showed mercy to the Spanish despite their ill intentions. I am grateful for them for giving us that one victory in a series of Ls starting from the Spanish return up to the US and Japanese occupation and current encroachment of China in the WPS. I wouldve told Lapulapu to not allow the single ship Victoria to return because they would bring back the invaders.

Without a route back to us it wouldve taken the Spanish a hundred years or more to come back. Given that it took them around 50 years to send an invasion expedition. That time would have allowed our separate Sultanates and barangays to grow stronger and even have friendly relations with each other like Malaysias. The Dutch or British might have eventually invaded us but like Malaysia and Indonesia they would not have been able to erase our culture and political organizations. We would have a distinct identity and vibrant history beyond our colonizers.

Lapulapu, foreign mercenary or not, was our only victorious hero. He was probably being kind by letting one of the 6 Spanish ships return. But that act of kindness sealed our fate us a people. The Spanish colonization was one of the worst IMO. A thousand Spanish able to colonize probably a few hundreds of thousands. Leaving us genetically generally still the same but erasing our culture and history. At least the South Americans were mostly supplanted by the Spanish and Portuguese just like the Brits and French supplanted North America. But us, most of us still look closer like our Malay neighbors than our Spanish former colonizers and yet our pre-Spanish identity entirely erased with barely artifacts left to even recreate it. Even our national language, Tagalog, would not be intelligible to our pre Spanish ancestors in that its structure is already vastly different from our neigbors despite sharing similar word pool.

If we were not invaded by Spanish we wouldve had a stronger sense of identity and pride. Just like Indonesia or Vietnam we wouldve not allowed China on our part of the seas.
                    The Spaniards would still have tried. They sent the Loaysa expedition as a rescue mission for the Trinidad, the flagship of Magellan's fleet of 5. They would have done the same for the Victoria.

And once they colonized Mexico, it would have been easier to send expeditions, rescue or invasion.

As for friendly relations, we were already part of a wide Southeast Asian network. Lingua franca was Malay at the time, I think. And I also think there were already records of our connections to the other SEA polities of the time. Further, Magellan had a native, Enrique, as an interpreter. Enrique wasn't a native of the Visayas or even what is now the Philippines.

Comment

The Spaniards would still have tried. They sent the Loaysa expedition as a rescue mission for the Trinidad, the flagship of Magellan's fleet of 5. They would have done the same for the Victoria.

And once they colonized Mexico, it would have been easier to send expeditions, rescue or invasion.

As for friendly relations, we were already part of a wide Southeast Asian network. Lingua franca was Malay at the time, I think. And I also think there were already records of our connections to the other SEA polities of the time. Further, Magellan had a native, Enrique, as an interpreter. Enrique wasn't a native of the Visayas or even what is now the Philippines.
                      Note that Magellan got lost enroute to finding Moluccas. Without a specific route any secondary expedition would not have been an invasion. Without a specific route the King of Spain would not commit as much resourced to a secondary expedition. That time might have given us time to develop better relations with each other like Malaysia. I read accounts of the Lopez expedition many times close to defeat particularly in its early ears. Without the support of the Cebuanos they would have had a hard time invading Panay. Without Panays support they would not have invaded Manila. Time to build better relations would have made it more difficult for Spain to apply their divide and conquee method.

As for the lingua franca, what Im saying is that by the time us Pinoys were able to preserve our language in lengthy written texts it was already heavily modified in structure by Spanish influence. The Tagalog written by Balagtas is not much different to what we have now but much different in structure to its Bahasa cousin. Tagalog, unlike Bahasa or the other Filipino language uses a lot of infix and has a lot of forms. This is likely due to the influence of Spanish. By the time we were able to record it was already a bit clunky amalgamation of its SEA roots and European influence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rds View Post
                        Note that Magellan got lost enroute to finding Moluccas. Without a specific route any secondary expedition would not have been an invasion. Without a specific route the King of Spain would not commit as much resourced to a secondary expedition. That time might have given us time to develop better relations with each other like Malaysia. I read accounts of the Lopez expedition many times close to defeat particularly in its early ears. Without the support of the Cebuanos they would have had a hard time invading Panay. Without Panays support they would not have invaded Manila. Time to build better relations would have made it more difficult for Spain to apply their divide and conquee method.

As for the lingua franca, what Im saying is that by the time us Pinoys were able to preserve our language in lengthy written texts it was already heavily modified in structure by Spanish influence. The Tagalog written by Balagtas is not much different to what we have now but much different in structure to its Bahasa cousin. Tagalog, unlike Bahasa or the other Filipino language uses a lot of infix and has a lot of forms. This is likely due to the influence of Spanish. By the time we were able to record it was already a bit clunky amalgamation of its SEA roots and European influence.
                        Who taught you history in UP? Hahahahaha. I might know the professors, being an alumnus of the Department of History.

Anyways, you do have a point with the route. No route, no sureness, and less certainty of success in funding, except for rescue missions. It would have taken longer for the Spaniards to reach the Philippines. Maybe our barangays and the Lanao sultanate would have just made dealings with Majapahit, Aceh, and Malaysia (which was under the Sultanate of Malacca at the time). I don't know.

As for Legazpi, it's good that they established relations with Cebu immediately. Sto. Nino helped, I think. And yeah, Spain used ethnic differences, even up to 1896 (where we were winning in Cavite and Bulacan early, before Polavieja and Lachambre came along and pushed Aguinaldo to a treaty in 1897; one of my papers dealt with tactics in the 1896 Revolution). Macabebe, especially. Even Bicol early on.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenarcher View Post
                          Vietnam was able to retain their identity, nationalism and culture despite being colonized by France.

So being colonized is not the main factor. Maybe we are just not a patriotic race to begin with. LOL

I read somewhere that we are a "family first" society which is why "public servants" and politicians always prioritize family over country.
                          Originally posted by Metta View Post
                          Unlike other countries who were already unified kingdoms before being colonized, there was really no Philippines yet when the Spaniards arrived. We were still just a collection of city-states.

People forget that Mindanao and the northern Luzon mountain provinces' cultures were relatively preserved and pretty much left autonomous.

We are tribal. We never got to have that unifying moment pre-colonization. Then during colonization, tribal divisions were used by the Spaniards and Americans to divide and conquer.
                          Agree with sir Metta. We never really developed national identity, or even a confederation of islands before Spain conquered us piecemeal.

Comment

Who taught you history in UP? Hahahahaha. I might know the professors, being an alumnus of the Department of History.

Anyways, you do have a point with the route. No route, no sureness, and less certainty of success in funding, except for rescue missions. It would have taken longer for the Spaniards to reach the Philippines. Maybe our barangays and the Lanao sultanate would have just made dealings with Majapahit, Aceh, and Malaysia (which was under the Sultanate of Malacca at the time). I don't know.

As for Legazpi, it's good that they established relations with Cebu immediately. Sto. Nino helped, I think. And yeah, Spain used ethnic differences, even up to 1896 (where we were winning in Cavite and Bulacan early, before Polavieja and Lachambre came along and pushed Aguinaldo to a treaty in 1897; one of my papers dealt with tactics in the 1896 Revolution). Macabebe, especially. Even Bicol early on.
                            Haha. I didn't know you're from the History Department. No, unfortunately I don't think I can credit this to my Kasaysayan subjects. Well maybe it triggered my interest in the Austronesian language and my past time of locating the commonalities and differences of Philippine languages I'm familiar with Tagalog and Bisaya. A couple of months ago I stumbled on a video comparing Bahasa and Tagalog. I was and still am trying to solve why Tagalog, from Balagtas' days, is different from Bahasa and other Filipino languages. My working hypothesis is that by Balagatas' time it already evolved drastically from Bahasa and the other Filipino languages due to Spanish influence.

My passion for this what-if Philippines was triggered during the course of reviewing my child for Araling Panlipunan, I discovered or re-discovered what a route Lapu-lapu vs Magellan was. Just by numbers alone it is possible that it was only Lapu-lapu's kindness or shortsightedness that allowed Victoria to flee. I can't help but think that that one ship returning to Spain sealed our fate. I also read an account, although I'm not sure of its veracity, of the travails of Lopez's crew against the same people in what we know as Lapu-lapu island. I can't find any other reference on the net though. Is it true that there were times that they were on the verge of losing?

To add, another case for how the Spanish totally twisted our collective psyche to make us more pliant is the Banyan tree or what we call Balete. To our neighbors, the balete tree is revered as a holy tree. Our neighbors place offerings with incense on their balete trees. This is for the spirits of their ancestors that they believe is around them. This was the same belief/religion/superstition we shared them pre-Spanish. In some cases they build roads around a Balete tree to avoid cutting it. Now what did the Spanish do? They taught us that Balete trees are evil and haunted. Something to be feared. This is probably how they weaned us off our previous faith and our faith leaders the Babaylans. The only remnants in our culture are the so-called mangkukulams and the albularyos. Just think how the Spanish turned something revered and that connected us to our ancestors to something evil and something to fear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metta View Post
                              You're right, Pampanga being an ancient city (in Philippine terms) might have something to do with it. Different races definitely have been in contact with Kapampangans for centuries now. Similar to Cebu, who is the other area that has been producing very tall prospects.

Another factor is also our relatively increasing prosperity. Just like other countries that economically grow, the height of the citizens also grow. The dutch average height used to be 5'5" (just like Philippines currently) in the mid-1850s and grew up to over 6'. It's a combination of better nutrition, healthcare and quality of life.

In the last decade, we've regularly been having kids 6'7+ which used to be so rare in decades past. And it only looks like it's increasing.

Now we just have to improve on the early training and development part.
                              Originally posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
                              Sir Mets,

Speaking of Cebu and it's adjacent province of Bohol, Iloilo, Samar and including Butuan in Mindanao they are considered also as ancient city considered as the melting pot as well,(Chinese, Japanese, Indians)

We all know in the old documents and as per historians, those hot blooded Spanish conquistadores foot soldiers/seamen of Mang Ferdie had the adventures of their lives upon seeing how beautiful our Visayan ancestors despite living and sweating in the hot and humid tropical country that triggers the anger of the Datus and the Sultans because of the Ninja/Hokage moves of those tall/light skinned visitors and the rest is history. Fast forward, Cebuanas, Butuanons and Kapampangans women is a knock-out IMHO.

anyway, I really do hope the new Executive Director and her newly establish(?) team may come up a genuine program for our children, as you said there's a lot of kids out there who already had the vertical attributes that needs to be develop and polish
                              Butuan was actually known for its gold. It was a trading city, a hub.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information