Group H: LTU-AUS-CAN-SEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soulis79 View Post
    Canada team hasn't succeed in all these years in FIBA competitions for various reasons. We still remember father Rautins, Jay Triano and nowadays the Great Steve Nash. I think there is a big problem. Canadians do not feel proud to represent their country. Some maybe feel more African players due to their heritage. Others maybe feel more Americans, some of them speak French. I really don't know what is going on in this country.

Some notes:
    1.Nash and Nurse as executives. Players snub them. I think it's ridiculous.
    2.Canada hasn't reach the podium in any major competition(World Cup -Olympics). Their best result is almost 40 years ago.
    3.Canada team is not USA, not even Serbia-Argentina-Brazil-Greece-Italy-Spain-Lithuania etc. Their prestige was always mediocre.
    4. Who is Patterson? Who is Omoruyi? We must be joking.
    5. And finally players claim one-by-one injuries, professional reasons, family reasons etc.

The camp is filled with some good and solid players. They have proved their loyalty all this years. From the beginning it was a mistake to call 15 NBA players a month ago. In addition it is also wrong for us to believe that all these players who skipped the Worlds are something special. Most of them played only one year of professional basketball. I believe that Murray, Powell and Stauskas hurting the Canada team.

Good luck to the World Cup

Eugene Omoruyi is a NCAA player - Yeah, I didn't even know who he was (probably just a warm body at this point). Addison Patterson is an 18 year old NBA prospect. He is probably just there to get some experience - probably a good thing he is at camp.

I think Canada Basketball got caught with their pants down here and the NBA drop outs snuck up on them. Lots of rumors that there has been a strong push from agents and NBA clubs to get guys not to play. Obviously this has impacted the USA, Canada and African nations more than Europe. This doesn't seem much different from what the USA is going through, except it is strongly last minute (maybe they knew all along) and yes, we don't have the depth as the USA to get past this. But we have more depth than most other countries as evident by losing ~75% of our top talent, yet we can still field a decent team.

If we knew this was coming we could have pushed farther down the talent pool for guys who could have contributed, some in a really big way - Andrew Nicholson would have been huge at this point. Dylan Ennis, Aaron Doornekamp, Andy Rautins, Naz Mitrou Long, Nik Stauskas, Conor Morgan, Anthony Bennett.

We do have a huge cultural problem with commitment - and I really thought this was going to be the moment it changed. We have been working on it for the last five years, yet this disaster happens. You can read more about it here:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
      Eugene Omoruyi is a NCAA player - Yeah, I didn't even know who he was (probably just a warm body at this point). Addison Patterson is an 18 year old NBA prospect. He is probably just there to get some experience - probably a good thing he is at camp.

I think Canada Basketball got caught with their pants down here and the NBA drop outs snuck up on them. Lots of rumors that there has been a strong push from agents and NBA clubs to get guys not to play. Obviously this has impacted the USA, Canada and African nations more than Europe. This doesn't seem much different from what the USA is going through, except it is strongly last minute (maybe they knew all along) and yes, we don't have the depth as the USA to get past this. But we have more depth than most other countries as evident by losing ~75% of our top talent, yet we can still field a decent team.

If we knew this was coming we could have pushed farther down the talent pool for guys who could have contributed, some in a really big way - Andrew Nicholson would have been huge at this point. Dylan Ennis, Aaron Doornekamp, Andy Rautins, Naz Mitrou Long, Nik Stauskas, Conor Morgan, Anthony Bennett.

We do have a huge cultural problem with commitment - and I really thought this was going to be the moment it changed. We have been working on it for the last five years, yet this disaster happens. You can read more about it here:
      https://www.thestar.com/sports/baske...portunity.html
      In hindsight the late promotion of barrett and later hiring of Nurse were red flags that something was going to go wrong. Best move for Canada now would be to try to get players to buy in for what is likely to be a OQT berth while still trying to win as many games as they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
        You pick Canada without its top guys to finish first? That's bold. Now that we know Murray won't play I don't see them making it out. He was their last hope. No TT No Powell.
        Murray is out? hahahahahahahahhaha I didnt know that. That changes a lot of course.

Comment

In hindsight the late promotion of barrett and later hiring of Nurse were red flags that something was going to go wrong. Best move for Canada now would be to try to get players to buy in for what is likely to be a OQT berth while still trying to win as many games as they can.
          Best move for Canada right now is to gel a team with a good mix of NBA players and solid European pros, pull a couple upsets and shut everybody the hell up. There are far worse rosters that will make the final 8.

I for one will take 24 hours to moan and complain, then will start looking at how we can make this happen.

Comment

But why this upcoming NBA season affected so much USA and Canada, but best Europeans are in.

For example Jokic and Murray is playing for same team and have same 20+ Mill. contracts

The problem is not NBA here,but players dedication for their NT.

Europeans feel pride representing their NT and no NBA agent or GM can change that.

If it would be free agency summer is one thing I can understand that, but all other summers is just players lack of dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
              Best move for Canada right now is to gel a team with a good mix of NBA players and solid European pros, pull a couple upsets and shut everybody the hell up. There are far worse rosters that will make the final 8.

I for one will take 24 hours to moan and complain, then will start looking at how we can make this happen.
              Well Yeah. Worse teams are going to make the next round. But the Draw is a cruel mistress.

Comment

Well Yeah. Worse teams are going to make the next round. But the Draw is a cruel mistress.
                I wonder how much China paid to fiba to make quarter final for China possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                  I wonder how much China paid to fiba to make quarter final for China possible.
                  I get when people think this but they're still the worst team in their group. They just won't get steamrolled. They'll look competitive.

Comment

I get when people think this but they're still the worst team in their group. They just won't get steamrolled. They'll look competitive.
                    Thats why i said "possible" and dont forget the refs.

Comment

I think the bigger thing is, their next group for the 17th-32nd qualification is one of the easier ones as well, and that might mean qualifying for the Olympics outright.*

*Note presuming it's Asian/African teams eliminated from Group A/B in group M, I'd still have Nigeria as better than them.
                      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                        I think the bigger thing is, their next group for the 17th-32nd qualification is one of the easier ones as well, and that might mean qualifying for the Olympics outright.*

*Note presuming it's Asian/African teams eliminated from Group A/B in group M, I'd still have Nigeria as better than them.
                        It really depends on how Iran does. Their group is spain and also rans. Iran advances and none of it matters.
                        Nigeria is my darkhorse to make it to the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                          But why this upcoming NBA season affected so much USA and Canada, but best Europeans are in.

For example Jokic and Murray is playing for same team and have same 20+ Mill. contracts

The problem is not NBA here,but players dedication for their NT.

Europeans feel pride representing their NT and no NBA agent or GM can change that.

If it would be free agency summer is one thing I can understand that, but all other summers is just players lack of dedication.
                          I think this was hashed over allot on other threads. The WC is just not deemed important to North Americans it seems. And Canada has an inherent commitment issue without the depth the USA has to overcome it and still be a medal favorite. Makes Canada a nice Wild Card out there and a nation to keep an eye on for FIBA in case we ever get our $hit together. Not this time though (what a waste!)

Here is another good read on what has happened with Canada.

And specifically about Murray - he supposedly has a minor injury as his reason. Not sure if that is BS or not. Other than that - you are probably right, a Canadian cares less about this than Serb. Keep in mind Canada is not the most patriotic or nationalist country - it is a country that has multiculturalism and diversity as its main cultural drivers (this can be very good in many ways and also bad, with this as an example of what goes wrong). It is worth he trade off I suppose.
                          Last edited by mojo13; 08-05-2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Canada went from the possibility of being composed of NBA talent to the probability of being made up of Scrubbs.
                            Literally and figuratively.
                            Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

It is still the strongest group on paper, but Canada's chances to advance to the second stage dropped from like 60% to 10% in a moment. It's a shame, those three games were for me the highlight of the first group stage.
                              Bronze medal 2017 Eurobasket prediction Game

Comment

I think that now Canada is becoming a bit underestimated here. They are not that bad surely. They still can compose decent starting 5 with Cory Joseph, Pangos, Ejim, Olynyk, Birch, they has some fine players off the bench like Ph.Scrubb, Wiltjer, Boucher. Overall some decent shooting touch, which on a good day can blow away both Lithuania and Australia

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information