Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Group H: LTU-AUS-CAN-SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Argylex View Post
    Does anyone know what is going on with Senegal?
    Their 12-man roster has 2 guards and something like 9-10 forwards/centers over 2.05m

Also, is Dieng injured?
    He is not. Senegal is trying to play with very high line-up, even SG being 2m over, but I don't think that's going to work

Australia finally lost by 20 to a team full of scrubbs (pun intended).

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fibawc/...ver-australia/

Canada beat Australia with a 90-70 victory in the preparation tournament in Perth, a few days ahead of the FIBA World Cup.

Kevin Pangos was the leading scorer for Canada and finished the game with 18 points and five assists, while Kyle Wiltjer contributed 11 points and six rebounds.

The Boomers were paced by captain Patty Mills who posted 20 points, as Jock Landale also contributed 18 points and eight rebounds.
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019 Turkish National Cup ---
    --- 1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 Turkish National League ---
    --- 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 EuroLeague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 EuroLeague ---

The second friendly between Australia and Canada is a win for the home side. Mills (who was very bad in the first game) and Pangos (who was clearly the best player on the floor) both were sitting this one out. And it paid off for Australia, as Canada never got into a rhythm offensively.

Still not sold on Boomers' chances this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    The second friendly between Australia and Canada is a win for the home side. Mills (who was very bad in the first game) and Pangos (who was clearly the best player on the floor) both were sitting this one out. And it paid off for Australia, as Canada never got into a rhythm offensively.

Still not sold on Boomers' chances this year.
    And now the Boomers lose Bolden who was the game changer in the 2nd game.
    I thought he was going to be a very important piece for the Boomers.

It's funny how most of Lithuanian BB community still repeats the same mantra that we are in extremely tough, death group, we should absolutely be 100% ready in top shape and so on...I mean that's nearly nonsense. Senegal doesn't have key players, Canada (specially if Cojo won't show up) probably lost 80% of talent (how the hell we were going to play against them if they had 100% team if even now they are treated as nearly powerhouse?). Yes, Australia is till Australia even if they will be wothout Simmons, Bolden, Exum, Ryan Broekhoff. I treat Australia- Lithuania 50/50 game, but Lithuania should surely deal with Senegal and Canada. Canada probably in a nervous and pretty close game, but we still should absolutely do that under current circumstances. I understand the idea not to be cocky and not too underrate the oppoents, but I hate self underrating as equally as self overrating. And Lithuanian BB community loves to underrate themselves (I'm not talking about few idiots and kids who might show up here, I talk about journalists, coaches, players, ect) as it would be some form of hedonism. Let's face it, Lithuania is huge favourite against Canada now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Australia lucks depth, now. 2016 team had in their roster Andersen, Broekhoff, Motum and Lisch. This year's bench sucks. At the moment i see no better player from them. Besides that Boomers from the national championship are nothing special. They rely on the veterans.

Senegal had limited preparations, coaches conflict and bad recruiting. Dieng who is a 20p-10r player will be absent so i don't believe will achieve something.

Canada must pray all day for Birch's condition. If he is healthy he can help them a lot. Nurse is another asset but i don't know how far this will carry them.

Jock Landale however can be an X factor for Australia. Objectively he has nothing on say JV and Sabonis, and even Kuzminskas is bigger name at the moment, but he's really up coming player and looks good. So that's some fresh air for Australia.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    It's funny how most of Lithuanian BB community still repeats the same mantra that we are in extremely tough, death group, we should absolutely be 100% ready in top shape and so on...I mean that's nearly nonsense. Senegal doesn't have key players, Canada (specially if Cojo won't show up) probably lost 80% of talent (how the hell we were going to play against them if they had 100% team if even now they are treated as nearly powerhouse?). Yes, Australia is till Australia even if they will be wothout Simmons, Bolden, Exum, Ryan Broekhoff. I treat Australia- Lithuania 50/50 game, but Lithuania should surely deal with Senegal and Canada. Canada probably in a nervous and pretty close game, but we still should absolutely do that under current circumstances. I understand the idea not to be cocky and not too underrate the oppoents, but I hate self underrating as equally as self overrating. And Lithuanian BB community loves to underrate themselves (I'm not talking about few idiots and kids who might show up here, I talk about journalists, coaches, players, ect) as it would be some form of hedonism. Let's face it, Lithuania is huge favourite against Canada now.
    Well said.

Maybe it’s just me but if Canada had anything resembling a real team I think Australia coming off this historic win would be ripe for the upset. It’s almost as if their entire team’s progress over the years was heading towards beating the US in one of these two historic home exhibitions. Maybe these two games were Australia’s World Cup in essence and they might just deflate now.

@usagre. I am still worried about Canada. Nick Nurse and staff has a huge bag of tricks, while I feel the motivated and crafty Pangos and Nembhard may be even a better fit for FIBA competition than their first choice backcourt. I especially rate Pangos, and I see him as Steve Nash lite as someone who played high school in Canada, came from a sporting (in this case basketball family), attended a mid-major program, always had question marks around his physical attributes and whether playmaking was truly next level, and is just coming into his prime now.

In terms of expectation, the one time when Australia was among the leading favourites leading into a major FIBA was before Sydney 2000. In the Diamond Ball lead up tournament in Hong Kong, Australia defeated Yugoslavia in the final. The Yuogslavs obviously targeted Andrew Gaze and held him to 7 points (with 9 assists), but the MVP that day was naturalised former University guard Ricky Grace, who got to the rim at will, while anchoring the defence. Coach Barry Barnes' hand that day was forced by having Shane Heal injured, which was a blessing in disguise then, but once they reverted back to Heal at point, they got torn apart by Steve Nash in the Olympic opener, lost a rematch to Yugoslavia in the second game, before scrambled and simply running out of steam in the semi-finals.... I won't predict results, but only this Australian team has no weak links that always get exploited sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Roofman View Post
    @usagre. I am still worried about Canada. Nick Nurse and staff has a huge bag of tricks, while I feel the motivated and crafty Pangos and Nembhard may be even a better fit for FIBA competition than their first choice backcourt. I especially rate Pangos, and I see him as Steve Nash lite as someone who played high school in Canada, came from a sporting (in this case basketball family), attended a mid-major program, always had question marks around his physical attributes and whether playmaking was truly next level, and is just coming into his prime now.

In terms of expectation, the one time when Australia was among the leading favourites leading into a major FIBA was before Sydney 2000. In the Diamond Ball lead up tournament in Hong Kong, Australia defeated Yugoslavia in the final. The Yuogslavs obviously targeted Andrew Gaze and held him to 7 points (with 9 assists), but the MVP that day was naturalised former University guard Ricky Grace, who got to the rim at will, while anchoring the defence. Coach Barry Barnes' hand that day was forced by having Shane Heal injured, which was a blessing in disguise then, but once they reverted back to Heal at point, they got torn apart by Steve Nash in the Olympic opener, lost a rematch to Yugoslavia in the second game, before scrambled and simply running out of steam in the semi-finals.... I won't predict results, but only this Australian team has no weak links that always get exploited sooner or later.

Oh please. This self depreciation seems nothing more than a cover in case Australia chokes one hard.
    Pangos is no Nash-lite, nothing close. Nash was a two time NBA MVP. Pangos can barely make a mark on the NBA summer league.

And if you think Pangos and Nembhard would form a better fiba back court than say Murray and SGA I have a bridge to sell you. This team is a joke compared to what could have been roster - the fact that they still have a punchers shot at both Australia and Lithuania is a credit to Canada’s depth and shows how good a team could have been. Would, could, should though. This is still an embarrassment for anyone involved in Canada Basketball.

If Canada sent their best players in this World Cup, I won't be surprised if USA goes home without a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    And if you think Pangos and Nembhard would form a better fiba back court than say Murray and SGA I have a bridge to sell you. This team is a joke compared to what could have been roster - the fact that they still have a punchers shot at both Australia and Lithuania is a credit to Canada’s depth and shows how good a team could have been. Would, could, should though. This is still an embarrassment for anyone involved in Canada Basketball.
    You forget that a good team is more than the sum of its individual talents. Canada is better served by players who really want to represent Canada as opposed to those who show up only because they're more likely to advance as opposed to hurt their own pro careers by participating.
    Last edited by Hepcat; 08-26-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Sounds like Cory Joseph is with the team in China.
    O’Shea Brissett who was playing quite well was sent home due to his ankle injury. And Conor Morgan (Joventut) has been flown in last second to replace the even more depleted front line.

Also Bogut turned his ankle in the loss to Germany. No word how serious yet but he could miss time.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    O’Shea Brissett who was playing quite well was sent home due to his ankle injury.
    for anyone trying to google Brisset, his first name is Oshae.

Bogut is missing some games definitely

For people from Lithuania, please join our World Cup Fantasy game:

https://basketdream.com/
    Euroleague advanced stats and analytics

basket-stats.net

Thumbs up

But they still have multi NBA players which is better than most of other teams. if wiggins play as least they have a tier 2 NBA player in their team

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Why you pay so much attention on all that? I don't think Canada is treated as nearly powerhouse but even if it's like that i have nothing against. Best results in WC (2010) and EC (2003) we achieved not being favourites. We won against Serbia in 2015 EC semifinal not being favourites as well. Our great 2004 team lost to Italy being the big favourites and missed unique chance to win Olympics. I think we historically do better not being favourites. Even if it has nothing to do with nowadays i'm not against an idea not to be favourites.

I personally neither overrate nor underrate Canada as i have no clue bout them. They lost a lot of potential, but it seems they have a right coach and with an athletic team and some strong players (2 nba fellows, Pangos, someone else) they can be very fangerous. If it's about a close and nervous game you can't talk about absolute winning as both teams can be better and more lucky to end the game. We should be favourites, but i don't care about it as it doesn't help to win.

I've watched Nigeria-Russia game where individually stronger players lost the game and you could imagine such scenario before the game. Canada always had many potential but coudn't gathere all that potential together and couln't bring a team chemistry. If they would bring almost all of their strongest players, it would be still a question of their team chemistry and how scary they are. Now it's a question of how dangerous they are and i don't care about a question of a favourite.
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 08-31-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast