Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Group H: LTU-AUS-CAN-SEN

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Best move for Canada right now is to gel a team with a good mix of NBA players and solid European pros, pull a couple upsets and shut everybody the hell up. There are far worse rosters that will make the final 8.

I for one will take 24 hours to moan and complain, then will start looking at how we can make this happen.
    Well Yeah. Worse teams are going to make the next round. But the Draw is a cruel mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    Well Yeah. Worse teams are going to make the next round. But the Draw is a cruel mistress.
    I wonder how much China paid to fiba to make quarter final for China possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    I wonder how much China paid to fiba to make quarter final for China possible.
    I get when people think this but they're still the worst team in their group. They just won't get steamrolled. They'll look competitive.

I get when people think this but they're still the worst team in their group. They just won't get steamrolled. They'll look competitive.
    Thats why i said "possible" and dont forget the refs.

I think the bigger thing is, their next group for the 17th-32nd qualification is one of the easier ones as well, and that might mean qualifying for the Olympics outright.*

*Note presuming it's Asian/African teams eliminated from Group A/B in group M, I'd still have Nigeria as better than them.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    I think the bigger thing is, their next group for the 17th-32nd qualification is one of the easier ones as well, and that might mean qualifying for the Olympics outright.*

*Note presuming it's Asian/African teams eliminated from Group A/B in group M, I'd still have Nigeria as better than them.
    It really depends on how Iran does. Their group is spain and also rans. Iran advances and none of it matters.
    Nigeria is my darkhorse to make it to the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    But why this upcoming NBA season affected so much USA and Canada, but best Europeans are in.

For example Jokic and Murray is playing for same team and have same 20+ Mill. contracts

The problem is not NBA here,but players dedication for their NT.

Europeans feel pride representing their NT and no NBA agent or GM can change that.

If it would be free agency summer is one thing I can understand that, but all other summers is just players lack of dedication.
    I think this was hashed over allot on other threads. The WC is just not deemed important to North Americans it seems. And Canada has an inherent commitment issue without the depth the USA has to overcome it and still be a medal favorite. Makes Canada a nice Wild Card out there and a nation to keep an eye on for FIBA in case we ever get our $hit together. Not this time though (what a waste!)

Here is another good read on what has happened with Canada.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...write-history/

And specifically about Murray - he supposedly has a minor injury as his reason. Not sure if that is BS or not. Other than that - you are probably right, a Canadian cares less about this than Serb. Keep in mind Canada is not the most patriotic or nationalist country - it is a country that has multiculturalism and diversity as its main cultural drivers (this can be very good in many ways and also bad, with this as an example of what goes wrong). It is worth he trade off I suppose.
    Last edited by mojo13; 08-05-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Canada went from the possibility of being composed of NBA talent to the probability of being made up of Scrubbs.
    Literally and figuratively.

It is still the strongest group on paper, but Canada's chances to advance to the second stage dropped from like 60% to 10% in a moment. It's a shame, those three games were for me the highlight of the first group stage.
    Bronze medal 2017 Eurobasket prediction Game

I think that now Canada is becoming a bit underestimated here. They are not that bad surely. They still can compose decent starting 5 with Cory Joseph, Pangos, Ejim, Olynyk, Birch, they has some fine players off the bench like Ph.Scrubb, Wiltjer, Boucher. Overall some decent shooting touch, which on a good day can blow away both Lithuania and Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I think that now Canada is becoming a bit underestimated here. They are not that bad surely. They still can compose decent starting 5 with Cory Joseph, Pangos, Ejim, Olynyk, Birch, they has some fine players off the bench like Ph.Scrubb, Wiltjer, Boucher. Overall some decent shooting touch, which on a good day can blow away both Lithuania and Australia
    Excellent point. The same thing is happening with the US as well. It's understandable to a degree if we focus on and get distracted by what those teams could have been.

Final 12 for Australia announced:

Aron Baynes
    Andrew Bogut
    Jonah Bolden
    Xavier Cooks
    Matthew Dellavedova
    Cameron Gliddon
    Chris Goulding
    Joe Ingles
    Nicholas Kay
    Jock Landale
    Patty Mills
    Nathan Sobey

Notable outs: Mitch Creek, Deng Adel, and Brock Motum.

Australia seemingly making some weird roster decisions in the back half of their team. Maybe searching for roster balance at the expense of cutting superior players? Most were not weren't expecting Xavier Cooks, Cameron Gliddon, and Nick Kay. Doesn't seem the Aussie fans are too pleased about this. But not sure it matters too much in the scheme of things.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketb...ee657f6229a427

So 5 main players returning from one of best Olympic Aussies team I have seen ever.

Bogut,Baynes,Ingles,Mills,Dellavedova

Surprisingly that remaining 7 role players are different compared to olympics. 4 of those 5 main players are in 30s.

For example Lithuania is bringing 8 same player's from Olympics

Maybe I overstatement Australia a bit looking to roster now, but still how they convingly beat and physically pushed us around in both 2014 and 2016 still is in my memory.

Lithuania 2019 is deeper than 2016 and our main 2 players from NBA in 2019 is not looking or playing like youngsters anymore like in Olympics 3 years ago they did.

With seeing both Canada and Australia rosters I like my team's chance's better to survive this group than one month's ago.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 08-07-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Final 12 for Australia announced:

Aron Baynes
    Andrew Bogut
    Jonah Bolden
    Xavier Cooks
    Matthew Dellavedova
    Cameron Gliddon
    Chris Goulding
    Joe Ingles
    Nicholas Kay
    Jock Landale
    Patty Mills
    Nathan Sobey

Notable outs: Mitch Creek, Deng Adel, and Brock Motum.

Australia seemingly making some weird roster decisions in the back half of their team. Maybe searching for roster balance at the expense of cutting superior players? Most were not weren't expecting Xavier Cooks, Cameron Gliddon, and Nick Kay. Doesn't seem the Aussie fans are too pleased about this. But not sure it matters too much in the scheme of things.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketb...ee657f6229a427
    Motum is not a notable out, IMO Landale is simply better nowadays to fill the frontcourt. While Kay was a guy I was expected to make a roster, he looked really solid in NBL, much tougher than Motum. Xavier Cooks had really good season in Germany, I didn't think that might be enough for him to break into roster, Mitch Creek looked like almost a lock there, also Adel seeking more or less the same position, but probably Cooks was simply better. Guy is really versatile, physically gifted all around player with nice shot. I think if he'll continue this way, in a year or couple he'll move to Euroleague.
    Overall solid roster, there's balance in lines in defense/offense, there's experience, there's good coach. It'll be very hard nut to crack

@Mindozas, I was very surprised to hear of Creek's omission- after the NBA six, I would have thought that he would be possibly the first cab off the rank from the rest, given he was mostly present during qualifying and minor tournaments, knew coach Lemanis' system and had a decent NBA experience and showed off an ok perimeter shot, previously the knock on him. Landale makes sense too, because no doubt you guys will be hungry for revenge, and will absolutely try to play through your bigs against us, so having a third centre makes complete sense for fouls and possible injuries.

The very little I have seen of Cooks I like, but he did look rail thin and only around a low 30s% shooter from range, will be a handful if he improves in these areas. Cooks and Bolden promise a running unit with shooters assisting off the bench. I should say that I follow Euro hoops and especially the Australians in it, but always interested in commentaries on players. Maybe you could shed some light on Motum who seems to not last more than two years at any particular club. He shot %s of 40+/50+/mid 80s from the line at Efes Pilsen, does he just like IQ and make basic errors? I mean he is 208cm, fairly athletic, obviously can shoot and seem like a solid person, would like to know some insight here...

Quote Originally Posted by Roofman View Post
    @Mindozas, I was very surprised to hear of Creek's omission- after the NBA six, I would have thought that he would be possibly the first cab off the rank from the rest, given he was mostly present during qualifying and minor tournaments, knew coach Lemanis' system and had a decent NBA experience and showed off an ok perimeter shot, previously the knock on him. Landale makes sense too, because no doubt you guys will be hungry for revenge, and will absolutely try to play through your bigs against us, so having a third centre makes complete sense for fouls and possible injuries.

The very little I have seen of Cooks I like, but he did look rail thin and only around a low 30s% shooter from range, will be a handful if he improves in these areas. Cooks and Bolden promise a running unit with shooters assisting off the bench. I should say that I follow Euro hoops and especially the Australians in it, but always interested in commentaries on players. Maybe you could shed some light on Motum who seems to not last more than two years at any particular club. He shot %s of 40+/50+/mid 80s from the line at Efes Pilsen, does he just like IQ and make basic errors? I mean he is 208cm, fairly athletic, obviously can shoot and seem like a solid person, would like to know some insight here...
    Motum is a nice guy indeed, or as you say solid person, a shy one, and what's bad about that - he brings that to the court too frequently, he tends simply to disappear. He might have some good stretches, like in 2016 bronze medal game vs Spain, but at times you simply doesn't notice that he is there, lacks leader qualities, a bit of that good sportive anger, is simply too passive in offense. Also no matter that he is athletic, he is soft player, especially in defense, there was a season in Zalgiris when he failed to block a single shot in whole Euroleague season, and he was playing some 20+ mins in 20+ games. Awful for a PF. Tbh in 2nd season he wasn't much better in it. Not the best rebounder either. Overall, had troubles in reading the game defensively and that was big problem of him.
    He seems to be one of these cases where looks like guy has all the physical tools to be really good, but lacks character, mentality. I think the same Landale also isn't the strongest guy out there, also defensively average at best, but he has right mentality to go far, at least further than Motum did

Tako Fall
    Youssoupha Fall
    Clevin Hannah
    Gorgui Dieng

All out of Senegal's list.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
    Tako Fall
    Youssoupha Fall
    Clevin Hannah
    Gorgui Dieng

All out of Senegal's list.
    Only Hannah is fresh absence, others withdrew some week ago

Senegal at the moment looks like the worst team of the tournament. It seems also ,that Faye is having some kind of injury. He appeared for 3 minutes in the last friendly at Verona and today versus Turkey he is not in the roster.

Keep in mind Canada is not the most patriotic or nationalist country - it is a country that has multiculturalism and diversity as its main cultural drivers (this can be very good in many ways and also bad, with this as an example of what goes wrong). It is worth he trade off I suppose.
    I get what you are trying to say and I have the utmost respect for Canada but patriotism has nothing to do with this. Look at the US for example, a country where patriotism is taken to the extreme, especially in the realm of sports. National Anthem before every game, special shoutouts to soldiers during games, ostracizing Kaepernick because of his decision to protest in this specific way that was considered disrespectful etc

In addition to that, there is the whole "greatest country on earth" thing going on. I don't want to get into details but you get the idea.

Despite all that, players casually reject their NT.
    The NBA, like almost every american corporation, demands your full attention. If it doesn't bring money, it's not worth exploring.
    (I distinguish american corporations because of the known cutthroat pace, dog-eat-dog mentality. Corporate greed is a worldwide thing.)
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast