No announcement yet.

Euroleague Data Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iamges in your second post are not displayed. Images not found (when following Zalgiris link for example).

Why didn't you put them into imgur?
    <-link to video
    http://bit.ly/bg3272
    http://bit.ly/dnTPE7

Comment

Hello once again, thanks to the abundance of free time I've been having I have decided to take this thread one step further.

From now on, I'll be hosting the statistics here: https://www.baslare.net/euroleague

The page might look and feel uncanny and feature glitches at times, well, because my frontend skills are merely a week old.

The landing page provides brief descriptions of the categories, but I'll reiterate them here.

1- Assist connections: the structure is same as last year's data, lists the most frequent connections in the league. you can choose to filter by team or choose to display a leaguewide list.

2- Fives: this is the part that gave me the most trouble, it lists all the fives (filterable by team) that played together for more than two minutes in the entire league. the data features a few advanced statistics (like points per possesion etc.) AND opponent stats. I am well aware that there are lots and lots of possibilites here but this is just a preliminary version of what I have in mind.
      Currently, the possession stat is just an estimation using the NBA formula. With the data I have it is possible to calculate the real number of possessions. Still, I believe that it would turn out to be not that different and that is why I chose just to use the estimation.

3- Team stats: the aggregation of the fives stats with respect to their team. As I put a notice on the corresponding page, these statistics are not taken from the team stats section of the EL website but they are aggregated from play-by-play data in a bottom-to-top manner. It goes to show that almost all the statistics on the website are authentic. Like with the fives section, there are numerous possibilities here which I'll be adding in time. I have added a statistic that I have not seen anywhere (at least for EL), that is the ratio of assisted and unassisted 2/3 point field goals.

4- Shot charts: this is a visualization part. here you can visualize heat maps and hex maps for any player or any team of your choice (as long as the background is black). Currently the app server only allows 24 hr/month active time. It goes like this: when a user logs in and out, the app will stay active for five more minutes. It means we have limited time, but we have time nonetheless. I think there are very interesting takeaways from these charts and would like all of you to have a peek at them. I can add many more visualization options but it would be pointless as the the allowed time is very limited.

5- Player stats: this part currently only features assisted and unassisted field goals related stats. I'll be adding more in time.

Comment

Big respect for the work! Is there a possibility for including +/- for the "Fives" sections into the stats sheet? I don't care for +/- at single player's charts but this would really say something if you could include it into this great column.

Comment

Originally posted by Deschain View Post
          4- Shot charts: this is a visualization part. here you can visualize heat maps and hex maps for any player or any team of your choice (as long as the background is black). Currently the app server only allows 24 hr/month active time. It goes like this: when a user logs in and out, the app will stay active for five more minutes. It means we have limited time, but we have time nonetheless. I think there are very interesting takeaways from these charts and would like all of you to have a peek at them. I can add many more visualization options but it would be pointless as the the allowed time is very limited.
          Can I ask where did you get the raw data on players' shots' locations?

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
            Big respect for the work! Is there a possibility for including +/- for the "Fives" sections into the stats sheet? I don't care for +/- at single player's charts but this would really say something if you could include it into this great column.
            thanks!
            actually the +s and -s are available seperately , but yes, that's a good idea, I'll add the column tomorrow. possibly with +-per minutes and possessions.

Originally posted by Oly_fan View Post
            Can I ask where did you get the raw data on players' shots' locations?
            The official site of Euroleague Basketball. Check out live matches, stats, standings, teams, players, interviews, fantasy challenge and much more.

each game played has a shooting chart, this might have been a new addition because I've only noticed it last year (or I am dramatically aloof towards what that website might offer). the rest of the work is about collecting the coordinates(which are embedded within each page's code) and transforming them into a suitable form.
            Last edited by Deschain; 05-01-2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

How reliable are +/- stats? Player commits foul, player is replaced, opponents make free throws. Obviously those 2 points should lower his +/- and not his replacement's, but I'm not sure +/- counting software works that way
              The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

The question is when the scoring table / administration confirms the replacement/points/fouls. Often this things are (at least in Euroleague play by play which generates this data) put together wildly.

In NBA this things are much more professional. But in your mentioned case, of course +/- starts after replacement. It's stupid example, but if a goalkeeper in football gets unnecessary red card and foces penalty, the received goal will also booked at his replacement. Difference in EL which is better than in NBA is that assists are valued if the assisted player is fouled prior to a free throw. In NBA this assists are simply not categorized (or just in situations where fouled player makes 2+1) - would be an interesting statistical category (not impactful as a few years ago but still interesting).

Comment

El play-by-play is a mess. Even player names are not consistent at times.
                  there is no clear order that regulates the substitution records.

it is quite possible to remedy the problem you presented, it just takes time and effort. But the question is (if the data is not collected as such), does the juice worth the squeeze? I am pretty sure the effects would cancel out especially for fives/teams/players that see longer time on court.

it is possible to calculate "passes that led to shooting fouls and categorized as assists after a made FT" simply by substracting assisted2p and assisted3p counts from total assists. After a quick glance at the team stats, I can say that most teams seem to be in the range of 30-50, that is roughly 1-2 of such occasions per game. which is kinda interesting, I would have guessed it to be higher.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information