Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Euroleague Data Analysis

  1. #1
    Senior Member Deschain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    853
    Country: Turkey

    Default Euroleague Data Analysis

    Hello, I haven't been very active in the past few years but the coming season seems promising and I wanted to share a few of my works here.
    Hopefully i'll keep posting further content with varying levels of detail.
    In addition, if anyone else would be willing to contribute in a similar manner, i'd be delighted to hear that.


    Basically, I collected and visualized data regarding assists from the past season. It could've been more detailed, but this should suffice for now.
    To be honest, I was inspired by the infamous "Vesely is the worst center offensively" kind of posts.

    I- Top Connections in Euroleague
    II- Players with highest/lowest Assisted/Total 2P FG Ratio
    III- Players with lowest Assisted/Total 3P FG Ratio - Players with highest assisted 3P FGs
    III- Assisted 2P Field Goal Ratio vs OReb/TReb Ratio
    IV- Assist Chord Diagrams of playoff teams and a few others

    -----

    Part I Top 25 Connections in EL
    According to the number of times a player assisted another.

    pic1.jpg

    It's no wonder that Calathes reigns supreme. Despite Vesely's limited playing time last year his connection with Sloukas was the third most frequent.

    Of course, these values are correlated with the amount of time these players have seen. It's a good idea to normalize these values to a connections per possessions played together or something similar, which i'll be focusing on next.
    Pleiß, Moerman and Dunston seem to be a great targets for Micic. This kinda tells you why the contract with Pleiß was renewed.
    He got assisted by Micic this many times while playing only playing 14 mins per game.

    Markovic again stands tall as an underrated passer.
    Mike James-Micov connection is also worth noting since Micov is the only non-big in the top 10.


    Part II - Players with highest/lowest Assisted/Total 2P FG Ratio

    Only players with more than 20 2pt field goals have been taken into account.

    pic2.jpg

    This might or might not give an idea about a certain player's offensive capabilities. Or for a big it might indicate a reluctancy to engage in offensive rebounding (Missing opportunities to register unassisted buckets.)
    However, looking at the list shows us that rather limited players occupy the top spots. Yet, being able to play organized, systematic basketball must surely be a talent itself.

    Spoiler: Ahmet Düveroğlu sits at the 11th position.

    -----

    pic3.jpg

    Maybe the more interesting part is the list of players with highest unassisted 2pt FG ratios. Hint: Make James is not at the top of the list.


    Part III - Players with lowest Assisted/totel 3P FG Ratio - Players with highest assisted 3P FGs

    p3.1.jpg

    We still have category in which Spanoulis is the leading player.
    Here, we can see the heroes of our time.

    ---

    p3.2.jpg
    But for the real hero, one must appreciate what Anthony Randolph has done. The guy had 60 three pointers last year none of which were unassisted.


    Part IV - Assisted 2P Field Goal Ratio vs OReb/TReb Ratio

    p4.jpg

    In the plot, you can observe every player in EL that had a 2pt FG last season as points. I marked the interesting/prominent ones. Shengelia must really have been uncomfortable with injuries last season, Poirier seems to have taken over the board-crashing duties.
    and... Jaycee Caroll what a wonderful player.
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-14-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    click for rare euroleague stats!
    https://www.baslare.net/euroleague

  2. #2
    Senior Member Deschain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    853
    Country: Turkey

    Default Euroleague Data Analysis

    Part V Assist Chord Diagrams

    These kind of diagrams show how many times in total each player assisted others in all games last season. Therefore showing the importance of players to the passing channels within the team.
    Hint: Calathes is a monster.

    Efes:
    ae1.jpg


    Panathinaikos:
    ae2pa.jpg

    Real Madrid:
    ae3rm.jpg

    Maccabi Tel Aviv:
    Olympiakos:
    Zalgiris:
    Fenerbahçe:
    Baskonia:
    Milano:
    CSKA:
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-14-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    click for rare euroleague stats!
    https://www.baslare.net/euroleague

  3. #3
    Senior Member vivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,105
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Heads up, I can't see any images in the post if you intended to show them and not only link them.
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,980
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Love this stuff, thank you. How did you get the last plot? I've never seen it before.

  5. #5
    Senior Member vivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,105
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    Love this stuff, thank you. How did you get the last plot? I've never seen it before.
    It's possible with d3.js but it's hard https://www.d3-graph-gallery.com/chord

    Thanks for the analysis, I'll check them out when I have time
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

  6. #6
    Senior Member Deschain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    853
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    Heads up, I can't see any images in the post if you intended to show them and not only link them.
    It was intended, I couldn't find an affordable quick way to embed those images to post since I don't have the permission to post attachments.

    I used several packages in R, chord diagrams in the final part are rather easy to generate using the circlize package but can be taxing to modify.
    click for rare euroleague stats!
    https://www.baslare.net/euroleague

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kupiskis
    Posts
    540
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Very interesting analysis. Where did you get the data from?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Deschain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    853
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
    Very interesting analysis. Where did you get the data from?
    Hey, I scraped and tidied the play-by-play and player data from the Euroleague website.
    click for rare euroleague stats!
    https://www.baslare.net/euroleague

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,213
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Good job with the visualization tools
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
    Hey, I scraped and tidied the play-by-play and player data from the Euroleague website.
    Amazing work!

    In my opinion, the tool can be even more valuable than visualizations.
    Euroleague statistics page looks embarrassing for 2019 and it doesn't seem that they are planning to change it any time soon.
    If you would be able to publish raw data, many people would be able to quickly build cool stuff on top of it, and finally take EL fan stats to the 21 century.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    2
    Country: Algeria

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
    Hey, I scraped and tidied the auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solverplay-by-play and player data from the Euroleague website.
    In addition, if anyone else would be willing to contribute in a similar manner, i'd be delighted to hear that.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
    Hello, I haven't been very active in the past few years but the coming season seems promising and I wanted to share a few of my works here.
    Hopefully i'll keep posting further content with varying levels of detail.
    In addition, if anyone else would be willing to contribute in a similar manner, i'd be delighted to hear that.


    Basically, I collected and visualized data regarding assists from the past season. It could've been more detailed, but this should suffice for now.
    To be honest, I was inspired by the infamous "Vesely is the worst center offensively" kind of posts.

    I- Top Connections in Euroleague
    II- Players with highest/lowest Assisted/Total 2P FG Ratio
    III- Players with lowest Assisted/Total 3P FG Ratio - Players with highest assisted 3P FGs
    III- Assisted 2P Field Goal Ratio vs OReb/TReb Ratio
    IV- Assist Chord Diagrams of playoff teams and a few others

    -----

    Part I Top 25 Connections in EL
    According to the number of times a player assisted another.

    pic1.jpg

    It's no wonder that Calathes reigns supreme. Despite Vesely's limited playing time last year his connection with Sloukas was the third most frequent.

    Of course, these values are correlated with the amount of time these players have seen. It's a good idea to normalize these values to a connections per possessions played together or something similar, which i'll be focusing on next.
    Pleiß, Moerman and Dunston seem to be a great targets for Micic. This kinda tells you why the contract with Pleiß was renewed.
    He got assisted by Micic this many times while playing only playing 14 mins per game.

    Markovic again stands tall as an underrated passer.
    Mike James-Micov connection is also worth noting since Micov is the only non-big in the top 10.


    Part II - Players with highest/lowest Assisted/Total 2P FG Ratio

    Only players with more than 20 2pt field goals have been taken into account.

    pic2.jpg

    This might or might not give an idea about a certain player's offensive capabilities. Or for a big it might indicate a reluctancy to engage in offensive rebounding (Missing opportunities to register unassisted buckets.)
    However, looking at the list shows us that rather limited players occupy the top spots. Yet, being able to play organized, systematic basketball must surely be a talent itself.

    Spoiler: Ahmet Düveroğlu sits at the 11th position.

    -----

    pic3.jpg

    Maybe the more interesting part is the list of players with highest unassisted 2pt FG ratios. Hint: Make James is not at the top of the list.


    Part III - Players with lowest Assisted/totel 3P FG Ratio - Players with highest assisted 3P FGs

    p3.1.jpg

    We still have category in which Spanoulis is the leading player.
    Here, we can see the heroes of our time.

    ---

    p3.2.jpg
    But for the real hero, one must appreciate what Anthony Randolph has done. The guy had 60 three pointers last year none of which were unassisted.


    Part IV - Assisted 2P Field Goal Ratio vs OReb/TReb Ratio

    p4.jpg

    In the plot, you can observe every player in EL that had a 2pt FG last season as points. I marked the interesting/prominent ones. Shengelia must really have been uncomfortable with injuries last season, Poirier seems to have taken over the board-crashing duties.
    and... Jaycee Caroll what a wonderful player.
    I couldn't find an affordable quick way to embed those images to post since I don't have the permission to post attachments.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Adon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    3,844
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Wow! Great work!
    I don't know how I managed to miss this thread in the first place.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Deschain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    853
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    Wow! Great work!
    I don't know how I managed to miss this thread in the first place.
    Well, most of the time I directly delve into the most recent week's thread and just ignore everything else on the board.
    I'll be doing another round for this season pretty soon, hopefully by including something akin to shooting charts as well.
    I haven't had the time this season so far.
    click for rare euroleague stats!
    https://www.baslare.net/euroleague

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1
    Country: Bosnia Herzegovina

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
    Hey, I scraped and tidied the play-by-play and player data from the Euroleague website.
    Very interesting approach, lovely to see those figures.
    I am data lover my self, exploring the game from different perspectives.
    However, scraping the box scores or play by play sections from each match could be time consuming. Its shame there are no available data in clean sheets or some other more readable way then the separate match play by play pages.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    730

    Default

    Iamges in your second post are not displayed. Images not found (when following Zalgiris link for example).

    Why didn't you put them into imgur?

  17. #17
    Senior Member Deschain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    853
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Hello once again, thanks to the abundance of free time I've been having I have decided to take this thread one step further.

    From now on, I'll be hosting the statistics here: https://www.baslare.net/euroleague


    The page might look and feel uncanny and feature glitches at times, well, because my frontend skills are merely a week old.

    The landing page provides brief descriptions of the categories, but I'll reiterate them here.

    1- Assist connections: the structure is same as last year's data, lists the most frequent connections in the league. you can choose to filter by team or choose to display a leaguewide list.

    2- Fives: this is the part that gave me the most trouble, it lists all the fives (filterable by team) that played together for more than two minutes in the entire league. the data features a few advanced statistics (like points per possesion etc.) AND opponent stats. I am well aware that there are lots and lots of possibilites here but this is just a preliminary version of what I have in mind.
    Currently, the possession stat is just an estimation using the NBA formula. With the data I have it is possible to calculate the real number of possessions. Still, I believe that it would turn out to be not that different and that is why I chose just to use the estimation.

    3- Team stats: the aggregation of the fives stats with respect to their team. As I put a notice on the corresponding page, these statistics are not taken from the team stats section of the EL website but they are aggregated from play-by-play data in a bottom-to-top manner. It goes to show that almost all the statistics on the website are authentic. Like with the fives section, there are numerous possibilities here which I'll be adding in time. I have added a statistic that I have not seen anywhere (at least for EL), that is the ratio of assisted and unassisted 2/3 point field goals.

    4- Shot charts: this is a visualization part. here you can visualize heat maps and hex maps for any player or any team of your choice (as long as the background is black). Currently the app server only allows 24 hr/month active time. It goes like this: when a user logs in and out, the app will stay active for five more minutes. It means we have limited time, but we have time nonetheless. I think there are very interesting takeaways from these charts and would like all of you to have a peek at them. I can add many more visualization options but it would be pointless as the the allowed time is very limited.

    5- Player stats: this part currently only features assisted and unassisted field goals related stats. I'll be adding more in time.
    click for rare euroleague stats!
    https://www.baslare.net/euroleague

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    755
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Big respect for the work! Is there a possibility for including +/- for the "Fives" sections into the stats sheet? I don't care for +/- at single player's charts but this would really say something if you could include it into this great column.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,980
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
    4- Shot charts: this is a visualization part. here you can visualize heat maps and hex maps for any player or any team of your choice (as long as the background is black). Currently the app server only allows 24 hr/month active time. It goes like this: when a user logs in and out, the app will stay active for five more minutes. It means we have limited time, but we have time nonetheless. I think there are very interesting takeaways from these charts and would like all of you to have a peek at them. I can add many more visualization options but it would be pointless as the the allowed time is very limited.
    Can I ask where did you get the raw data on players' shots' locations?

  20. #20
    Senior Member Deschain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    853
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Big respect for the work! Is there a possibility for including +/- for the "Fives" sections into the stats sheet? I don't care for +/- at single player's charts but this would really say something if you could include it into this great column.
    thanks!
    actually the +s and -s are available seperately , but yes, that's a good idea, I'll add the column tomorrow. possibly with +-per minutes and possessions.



    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    Can I ask where did you get the raw data on players' shots' locations?
    https://www.euroleague.net/main/resu...2019#!shooting

    each game played has a shooting chart, this might have been a new addition because I've only noticed it last year (or I am dramatically aloof towards what that website might offer). the rest of the work is about collecting the coordinates(which are embedded within each page's code) and transforming them into a suitable form.
    Last edited by Deschain; 05-01-2020 at 09:26 PM.
    click for rare euroleague stats!
    https://www.baslare.net/euroleague

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •