Euroleague Data Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euroleague Data Analysis

Hello, I haven't been very active in the past few years but the coming season seems promising and I wanted to share a few of my works here.
    Hopefully i'll keep posting further content with varying levels of detail.
    In addition, if anyone else would be willing to contribute in a similar manner, i'd be delighted to hear that.

Basically, I collected and visualized data regarding assists from the past season. It could've been more detailed, but this should suffice for now.
    To be honest, I was inspired by the infamous "Vesely is the worst center offensively" kind of posts.

I- Top Connections in Euroleague
    II- Players with highest/lowest Assisted/Total 2P FG Ratio
    III- Players with lowest Assisted/Total 3P FG Ratio - Players with highest assisted 3P FGs
    III- Assisted 2P Field Goal Ratio vs OReb/TReb Ratio
    IV- Assist Chord Diagrams of playoff teams and a few others

-----

Part I Top 25 Connections in EL
    According to the number of times a player assisted another.

pic1.jpg

It's no wonder that Calathes reigns supreme. Despite Vesely's limited playing time last year his connection with Sloukas was the third most frequent.

Of course, these values are correlated with the amount of time these players have seen. It's a good idea to normalize these values to a connections per possessions played together or something similar, which i'll be focusing on next.
    Pleiß, Moerman and Dunston seem to be a great targets for Micic. This kinda tells you why the contract with Pleiß was renewed.
    He got assisted by Micic this many times while playing only playing 14 mins per game.

Markovic again stands tall as an underrated passer.
    Mike James-Micov connection is also worth noting since Micov is the only non-big in the top 10.

Part II - Players with highest/lowest Assisted/Total 2P FG Ratio

Only players with more than 20 2pt field goals have been taken into account.

pic2.jpg

This might or might not give an idea about a certain player's offensive capabilities. Or for a big it might indicate a reluctancy to engage in offensive rebounding (Missing opportunities to register unassisted buckets.)
    However, looking at the list shows us that rather limited players occupy the top spots. Yet, being able to play organized, systematic basketball must surely be a talent itself.

Spoiler: Ahmet Düveroğlu sits at the 11th position.

-----

pic3.jpg

Maybe the more interesting part is the list of players with highest unassisted 2pt FG ratios. Hint: Make James is not at the top of the list.

Part III - Players with lowest Assisted/totel 3P FG Ratio - Players with highest assisted 3P FGs

p3.1.jpg

We still have category in which Spanoulis is the leading player.
    Here, we can see the heroes of our time.

---

p3.2.jpg
    But for the real hero, one must appreciate what Anthony Randolph has done. The guy had 60 three pointers last year none of which were unassisted.

Part IV - Assisted 2P Field Goal Ratio vs OReb/TReb Ratio

p4.jpg

In the plot, you can observe every player in EL that had a 2pt FG last season as points. I marked the interesting/prominent ones. Shengelia must really have been uncomfortable with injuries last season, Poirier seems to have taken over the board-crashing duties.
    and... Jaycee Caroll what a wonderful player.
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-14-2019, 02:38 PM.

Euroleague Data Analysis

Part V Assist Chord Diagrams

These kind of diagrams show how many times in total each player assisted others in all games last season. Therefore showing the importance of players to the passing channels within the team.
    Hint: Calathes is a monster.

Efes:
    ae1.jpg

Panathinaikos:
    ae2pa.jpg

Real Madrid:
    ae3rm.jpg

Maccabi Tel Aviv:
    Code:
     [URL]https://pasteboard.co/IrbFar6.jpg[/URL]
    Olympiakos:
    Code:
     [URL]https://pasteboard.co/IrbFATE.jpg[/URL]
    Zalgiris:
    Code:
     [URL]https://pasteboard.co/IrbG6pl.jpg[/URL]
    Fenerbahçe:
    Code:
     [URL]https://pasteboard.co/IrbGKai.jpg[/URL]
    Baskonia:
    Code:
     [URL]https://pasteboard.co/IrbHyNU.jpg[/URL]
    Milano:
    Code:
     [URL]https://pasteboard.co/IrbI774.jpg[/URL]
    CSKA:
    Code:
     [URL]https://pasteboard.co/IrbIvpy.jpg[/URL]
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-14-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Heads up, I can't see any images in the post if you intended to show them and not only link them.
      Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
      Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
      Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
      Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

Love this stuff, thank you. How did you get the last plot? I've never seen it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Oly_fan View Post
          Love this stuff, thank you. How did you get the last plot? I've never seen it before.
          It's possible with d3.js but it's hard https://www.d3-graph-gallery.com/chord

Thanks for the analysis, I'll check them out when I have time
          Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
          Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
          Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
          Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

Originally posted by vivo View Post
            Heads up, I can't see any images in the post if you intended to show them and not only link them.
            It was intended, I couldn't find an affordable quick way to embed those images to post since I don't have the permission to post attachments.

I used several packages in R, chord diagrams in the final part are rather easy to generate using the circlize package but can be taxing to modify.

Comment

Very interesting analysis. Where did you get the data from?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRager View Post
                Very interesting analysis. Where did you get the data from?
                Hey, I scraped and tidied the play-by-play and player data from the Euroleague website.

Comment

Good job with the visualization tools
                  3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Deschain View Post
                    Hey, I scraped and tidied the play-by-play and player data from the Euroleague website.
                    Amazing work!

In my opinion, the tool can be even more valuable than visualizations.
                    Euroleague statistics page looks embarrassing for 2019 and it doesn't seem that they are planning to change it any time soon.
                    If you would be able to publish raw data, many people would be able to quickly build cool stuff on top of it, and finally take EL fan stats to the 21 century.

Comment

Hey, I scraped and tidied the auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solverplay-by-play and player data from the Euroleague website.
                      In addition, if anyone else would be willing to contribute in a similar manner, i'd be delighted to hear that.

Comment

Hello, I haven't been very active in the past few years but the coming season seems promising and I wanted to share a few of my works here.
                        Hopefully i'll keep posting further content with varying levels of detail.

Basically, I collected and visualized data regarding assists from the past season. It could've been more detailed, but this should suffice for now.
                        To be honest, I was inspired by the infamous "Vesely is the worst center offensively" kind of posts.

I- Top Connections in Euroleague
                        II- Players with highest/lowest Assisted/Total 2P FG Ratio
                        III- Players with lowest Assisted/Total 3P FG Ratio - Players with highest assisted 3P FGs
                        III- Assisted 2P Field Goal Ratio vs OReb/TReb Ratio
                        IV- Assist Chord Diagrams of playoff teams and a few others

-----

Part I Top 25 Connections in EL
                        According to the number of times a player assisted another.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10412[/ATTACH]

It's no wonder that Calathes reigns supreme. Despite Vesely's limited playing time last year his connection with Sloukas was the third most frequent.

Of course, these values are correlated with the amount of time these players have seen. It's a good idea to normalize these values to a connections per possessions played together or something similar, which i'll be focusing on next.
                        Pleiß, Moerman and Dunston seem to be a great targets for Micic. This kinda tells you why the contract with Pleiß was renewed.
                        He got assisted by Micic this many times while playing only playing 14 mins per game.

Markovic again stands tall as an underrated passer.
                        Mike James-Micov connection is also worth noting since Micov is the only non-big in the top 10.

Part II - Players with highest/lowest Assisted/Total 2P FG Ratio

Only players with more than 20 2pt field goals have been taken into account.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10413[/ATTACH]

This might or might not give an idea about a certain player's offensive capabilities. Or for a big it might indicate a reluctancy to engage in offensive rebounding (Missing opportunities to register unassisted buckets.)
                        However, looking at the list shows us that rather limited players occupy the top spots. Yet, being able to play organized, systematic basketball must surely be a talent itself.

Spoiler: Ahmet Düveroğlu sits at the 11th position.

-----

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10414[/ATTACH]

Maybe the more interesting part is the list of players with highest unassisted 2pt FG ratios. Hint: Make James is not at the top of the list.

Part III - Players with lowest Assisted/totel 3P FG Ratio - Players with highest assisted 3P FGs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10420[/ATTACH]

We still have category in which Spanoulis is the leading player.
                        Here, we can see the heroes of our time.

---

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10421[/ATTACH]
                        But for the real hero, one must appreciate what Anthony Randolph has done. The guy had 60 three pointers last year none of which were unassisted.

Part IV - Assisted 2P Field Goal Ratio vs OReb/TReb Ratio

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10422[/ATTACH]

In the plot, you can observe every player in EL that had a 2pt FG last season as points. I marked the interesting/prominent ones. Shengelia must really have been uncomfortable with injuries last season, Poirier seems to have taken over the board-crashing duties.
                        and... Jaycee Caroll what a wonderful player.
                        I couldn't find an affordable quick way to embed those images to post since I don't have the permission to post attachments.

Comment

Wow! Great work!
                          I don't know how I managed to miss this thread in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Adon View Post
                            Wow! Great work!
                            I don't know how I managed to miss this thread in the first place.
                            Well, most of the time I directly delve into the most recent week's thread and just ignore everything else on the board.
                            I'll be doing another round for this season pretty soon, hopefully by including something akin to shooting charts as well.
                            I haven't had the time this season so far.

Comment

Very interesting approach, lovely to see those figures.
                              I am data lover my self, exploring the game from different perspectives.
                              However, scraping the box scores or play by play sections from each match could be time consuming. Its shame there are no available data in clean sheets or some other more readable way then the separate match play by play pages.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information