East Asia Super League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
    PBA might opt for sending Gilas instead: https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/p...-a793-20211202

So much for joining. If you're gonna join, your teams must be the one/s representing the pro league here.
    Other than the top four teams, Vargas hinted at the possibility of forming a team from players of the four ballclubs, or even sending the Gilas Pilipinas squad of coach Tab Baldwin.

I'm actually interested in the formation of a SMC or MVP super team which was one of the ideas floated around, ayaw ba ng PBA teams ng $1M?

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
      Other than the top four teams, Vargas hinted at the possibility of forming a team from players of the four ballclubs, or even sending the Gilas Pilipinas squad of coach Tab Baldwin.

I'm actually interested in the formation of a SMC or MVP super team which was one of the ideas floated around, ayaw ba ng PBA teams ng $1M?
      It is CLUB tournament between leagues' top teams. Why send a combined team there? EASL wants to be the Euroleague counterpart, why not send a genuine ballclub?
      Attack
      defend
      Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
        It is CLUB tournament between leagues' top teams. Why send a combined team there? EASL wants to be the Euroleague counterpart, why not send a genuine ballclub?
        the PBA board is giving me a headache, its either they are not fully committed to the EASL or they want to use the Greater China team as a precedent and create a super team just to get ahead of the competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
          the PBA board is giving me a headache, its either they are not fully committed to the EASL or they want to use the Greater China team as a precedent and create a super team just to get ahead of the competition.
          No, they cannot used that. Greater China Team is a special team that is specifically created by EASL.
          Attack
          defend
          Unite

Comment

• cool name for the EASL in house/franchise team

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
              The fact that PBA wants to send Gilas shows their unwillingness to fully participate in EASL. On the other hand, the plans of the league sending a combined team of PBA players mean to two things: (1) they want to take home the prize; and/or (2) they are trying to avoid PBA being gauged to other leagues.
              Is PBa making gilas an escape goat not to participate? Does the pba understand the concept of a champions league? huh? Is pba teams contented to be the champions just in pba , not looking at the bigger picture and that is to be the best professional league and have the best professional teams in Asia.Blame the archaic three conference system of pba. It is embarassing and insult to EASL officials who wants to see top professional teams for each regions, to be a champions league. I take it back, maybe pba is not yet ready to globalize, and it is still over protective and insulares mentality.
              Last edited by yogaflame; 12-02-2021, 03:38 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by yogaflame View Post
                Is PBa making gilas an escape goat not to participate? Does the pba understand the concept of a champions league? huh? Is pba teams contented to be the champions just in pba , not looking at the bigger picture and that is to be the best professional league and have the best professional teams in Asia.Blame the archaic three conference system of pba. It is embarassing and insult to EASL officials who wants to see top professional teams for each regions, to be a champions league. I take it back, maybe pba is not yet ready to globalize, and it is still over protective and insulares mentality.
                They join the tournament, but are considering not sending clubs there. I mean, if they lose, come on, the big teams can ramp up the harvesting.

I don't get what the teams are so afraid of. They can have up to three imports (two world and one Asian), and it's not like they'll be at some massive disadvantage. Not to underestimate the other teams, but it seems that only SoKor has the teams that can give teams like TNT and the SMC teams a challenge. Is it because of the adjustments or something?

Comment

They join the tournament, but are considering not sending clubs there. I mean, if they lose, come on, the big teams can ramp up the harvesting.

I don't get what the teams are so afraid of. They can have up to three imports (two world and one Asian), and it's not like they'll be at some massive disadvantage. Not to underestimate the other teams, but it seems that only SoKor has the teams that can give teams like TNT and the SMC teams a challenge. Is it because of the adjustments or something?
                  PBA’s pride and ego will hurt..

They’re afraid..
                  Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                    PBA’s pride and ego will hurt..

They’re afraid..
                    PBA teams have been participating in EASL since 2018. Never won it so losing is not a issue for them. I think like AQ or WCQ it just distrub their calendar.

Comment

• Originally posted by zairex View Post
                      PBA teams have been participating in EASL since 2018. Never won it so losing is not a issue for them. I think like AQ or WCQ it just distrub their calendar.
                      Then they should not enter into an agreement in the first place.
                      Attack
                      defend
                      Unite

Comment

PBA might opt for sending Gilas instead: https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/p...-a793-20211202

So much for joining. If you're gonna join, your teams must be the one/s representing the pro league here.
                        So here, Ricky Vargas says that the PBA won't be a token participant: https://sports.inquirer.net/443364/o...sl-participant

Sana lang. The money's a big motivation. I mean, who'd want to leave that on the table?

I hope they send CLUBS. May imports naman to bolster any weaknesses. And as Vargas said, they have the talent and the coaching know-how, maybe that's enough to compete.

Comment

Wow... very disappointing. Just when I'm starting to be excited for PBA again, here they are, deliberately looking past the bigger picture, which is to gain supremacy in the East Asian region.

And for the qualification to the 2 slots, drawing of lots? Seriously? Why can't they just come up with a more credible means of identifying their representatives? They can do a televised, mini-tournament for this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodbi View Post
                            Wow... very disappointing. Just when I'm starting to be excited for PBA again, here they are, deliberately looking past the bigger picture, which is to gain supremacy in the East Asian region.

And for the qualification to the 2 slots, drawing of lots? Seriously? Why can't they just come up with a more credible means of identifying their representatives? They can do a televised, mini-tournament for this.
                            I don't see what's making this decision difficult for Vargas and Marcial. That's the EASL's decision to make, not the PBA's. EASL participation is supposed to be a reward for actually winning. Why not just go by the placings at the All-Filipino? TnT, Magnolia, SMB/Meralco in that order. They haven't started yet and they're already making a mockery of the EASL. Let Gilas worry about their own preparation, I'd rather see them do pocket tournaments in the Middle East, China, and even scrimmages in Europe and the US than be yoked for 6 months playing just 6-8 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by paolylo View Post
                              I don't see what's making this decision difficult for Vargas and Marcial. That's the EASL's decision to make, not the PBA's. EASL participation is supposed to be a reward for actually winning. Why not just go by the placings at the All-Filipino? TnT, Magnolia, SMB/Meralco in that order. They haven't started yet and they're already making a mockery of the EASL. Let Gilas worry about their own preparation, I'd rather see them do pocket tournaments in the Middle East, China, and even scrimmages in Europe and the US than be yoked for 6 months playing just 6-8 games.
                              For real.. while we are free to speculate why PBA is having second thoughts on sending their league winners (above posts seems reasonable), it's still very hard to accept that at this day and age, PBA still won't take opportunities like this seriously. For me, I would understand if they'll reason out financial difficulties as their main concern for this seemingly half-baked commitment, it would be forgivable, nothing much we can do about that.

As for Gilas, I agree. PBA should not disturb them with this EASL participation. PBA shouldn't even be thinking of sending an NT to a pro club champions' tournament in the first place.

Comment

It quite laughable what PBA said about Gilas option or selection of pba players will join tournament. This officials is not updated on the world of basketball and does not know the concept of champions league of "Best Clubs" in Asia. Why? SMC and pba team are afraid to lose? It's not about best selection and best national team.

Blame it on the archaic three conference system and smc teams always stuck to there laurels of winning pba championship and contented with pba cup. And if its import problem since it you can use 2 or three imports , we have allot of former FSA who are very good that can reinforce a team along with there main imports. They even put Gilas as escape goat, will just add burden to Gilas instead of focusing on Fiba tournaments and training abroad.

EASL officials are just being nice, but deep inside they dont like the idea of PBA to have an option for Gilas to play or just selection of pba players from top 4. It is embarassing and insult to EASL officials who wants to see top professional teams for each regions, to be a champions league.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information