East Asia Super League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
    I was wondering about the definition of this Asian import. Does this term cover those from the Middle East and Central Asians or is this quota limited to East and Southeast Asians?

The way I see it, if PBA teams can tap an Asian player, they will most likely enlist a player from West Asia just like what they did in the past.
    Hmm, too many questions that need to be answered by the EASL organizers themselves. But I think they will not entertain the idea of allowing imports from the West Asian region, for now. Maybe in the next 3 years when the league expands or when an EASL counterpart in West Asia establishes a similar regional tournament (I could be wrong though).

Another query that needs a definite answer is about the eligibility of FIBA-ineligible locals (which we have a lot in the PBA) or heritage imports. Would EASL organizers allow them to play as locals? Or would they allot separate slots (if they do, how many?) for this category out of the 12 roster spots per team?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodbi View Post
      Hmm, too many questions that need to be answered by the EASL organizers themselves. But I think they will not entertain the idea of allowing imports from the West Asian region, for now. Maybe in the next 3 years when the league expands or when an EASL counterpart in West Asia establishes a similar regional tournament (I could be wrong though).

Another query that needs a definite answer is about the eligibility of FIBA-ineligible locals (which we have a lot in the PBA) or heritage imports. Would EASL organizers allow them to play as locals? Or would they allot separate slots (if they do, how many?) for this category out of the 12 roster spots per team?
      I believe that it was answered about two years ago when guys like Chris Ross and Christian Standhardinger were able to play side by side with Dez Wells and Lester Prosper.
      Attack
      defend
      Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by paolylo View Post
        So basically:

- The PBA teams only get use their 6'10 imports once every 2-3 weeks if they still insist on having the Governor's Cup/off-season/All-Filipino unchanged - Yeah, or not play them at all because teams won't be able to hire them. Those 6'10" legit world imports would prefer to play in other leagues with full-season calendars.
        - The away teams play at MoA or Araneta while the PBA teams might have to travel longer during the winter - I'm not sure I'm getting your point here about longer travel during the winter.
        - Come the 2nd round of FIBA World Cup qualifying, Tab Baldwin loses a minimum of 3 days with a PBA player in the pool who's also playing an away game in the EASL - It's not an issue for now as most of the Gilas members are not from the PBA. It would be, however, after 2023 WC, when Gilas needs to go all-out every qualifying window.

You're forgetting that these people running the PBA are idiots. I don't necessarily see the partnership with the EASL a good thing, just a chance to shit on them more if they screw up this opportunity of improving the PBA. In the first place, there's no incentive for the other PBA teams in this partnership. We're not sure they're sending PBA champions/runners-up, and even if they are... we all know it's either going to be one from SMC and one from Metro Pacific.
        Most likely, but let's not count out the indie teams. They can always surprise us.

Comment

Most likely, but let's not count out the indie teams. They can always surprise us.
          Especially, there is a cash prize involved.
          Attack
          defend
          Unite

Comment

I believe that it was answered about two years ago when guys like Chris Ross and Christian Standhardinger were able to play side by side with Dez Wells and Lester Prosper.
            I see.. I hope the other member leagues don't make too much fuss now and in the future about this, especially when PBA players falling in the said category are capable of exhibiting qualities same or very close to that of world imports'.

Comment

I see.. I hope the other member leagues don't make too much fuss now and in the future about this, especially when PBA players falling in the said category are capable of exhibiting qualities same or very close to that of world imports'.
              They will not make fuss out of it. They should have done that years ago. Besides, if P.LEAGUE decides to open its doors to Pinoy imports, they might include those ineligibles in their recruitment. Look at T1 League, they have Caelan Tiongson and Jason Brickman who are both FIBA-ineligibles.
              Attack
              defend
              Unite

Comment

Especially, there is a cash prize involved.
                $1 Million USD is enough a motivation to take this tournament seriously, and an additional motivation for indie teams to overachieve

Comment

Regarding the winter travel, I don't believe we're reading the same thing. The idea is to have home-and-away games similar to the UEFA Champions League instead of doing it all in Macau or Hong Kong (where it could feel like a home game for the PBA teams with the OFW's). It's not as simple as flying to a cherry blossom fest to play one indoor game on a Wednesday night wearing compression shorts/warmers and arm sleeves. If the B.League sends Hokkaido or Akita, the KBL sends Jeonju, and the PLG sends Kaoshiung (though it's like Baguio more than it is a blizzard)... the PBA still expects its teams to compete for $1,000,000 and be back in Manila for the Friday PBA games regardless of how they prepare for the EASL Wednesday games. I don't ever remember a KBL team losing a tune-up game in Manila as far back as the mid-2000's because maybe those Koreans love our weather.

Comment

I was wondering about the definition of this Asian import. Does this term cover those from the Middle East and Central Asia or is this quota limited to East and Southeast Asians?

The way I see it, if PBA teams can tap an Asian player, they will most likely enlist a player from West Asia just like what they did in the past.
                    I'd like to see the Iranian 6'8 H-Bomb Arsalan Kazemi suit up for Ginebra or TNT

Comment

Regarding the winter travel, I don't believe we're reading the same thing. The idea is to have home-and-away games similar to the UEFA Champions League instead of doing it all in Macau or Hong Kong (where it could feel like a home game for the PBA teams with the OFW's). It's not as simple as flying to a cherry blossom fest to play one indoor game on a Wednesday night wearing compression shorts/warmers and arm sleeves. If the B.League sends Hokkaido or Akita, the KBL sends Jeonju, and the PLG sends Kaoshiung (though it's like Baguio more than it is a blizzard)... the PBA still expects its teams to compete for $1,000,000 and be back in Manila for the Friday PBA games regardless of how they prepare for the EASL Wednesday games. I don't ever remember a KBL team losing a tune-up game in Manila as far back as the mid-2000's because maybe those Koreans love our weather.
                      Ah okay, thanks for expounding. Yeah, that would certainly add another dimension to the hardship of winning the tournament for PBA teams/players as most of them wont have any choice but to acclimatize to the winter climate and to the tight schedule. But that's the beauty of it. Our PBA guys would get to test themselves physically and psychologically. Besides, the tournament is just 8 games at most for a finalist. I think PBA can manage (if it's willing, of course) the domestic league schedule of its representatives.

Comment

• PBA needs allot of reform, and this is a good start. PBA finally globalizing. That is a big compettion with big money involve. I hope we get good imports. Imports are the key to victory in this league. Hopefully Terrence Jones will play for TNT. And add Ange Kuoame. TJ and AK will be devastating combo.
                        Last edited by yogaflame; 12-01-2021, 06:28 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ah okay, thanks for expounding. Yeah, that would certainly add another dimension to the hardship of winning the tournament for PBA teams/players as most of them wont have any choice but to acclimatize to the winter climate and to the tight schedule. But that's the beauty of it. Our PBA guys would get to test themselves physically and psychologically. Besides, the tournament is just 8 games at most for a finalist. I think PBA can manage (if it's willing, of course) the domestic league schedule of its representatives.
                          That's just for the inaugural season. For the EASL to expand... they need to have the CBA involved, the PLG to have teams as good as the PBA, have several other Greater China franchises, and maybe get the ABL teams in Macau, Taipei, and HK if they can afford to travel since their league is dying.

If the Saigon Heat franchise moves to Hanoi, they're right next to China. That's potentially 16 teams, you can give remaining 4 slots to the CBA and the EASL can have a tournament bracket for the championship.

Comment

That's just for the inaugural season. For the EASL to expand... they need to have the CBA involved, the PLG to have teams as good as the PBA, have several other Greater China franchises, and maybe get the ABL teams in Macau, Taipei, and HK if they can afford to travel since their league is dying.

If the Saigon Heat franchise moves to Hanoi, they're right next to China. That's potentially 16 teams, you can give remaining 4 slots to the CBA and the EASL can have a tournament bracket for the championship.
                            I have a feeling that this tournament will expand to become a 32-team Asia-Pacific champions' league with east and west divisions and also a east/west division II tournament for countries with developing pro leagues, perhaps 10 years from now? When that happens, i think this will be the distribution of slots:

East
                            NBL - 3
                            CBA - 3
                            KBL - 2
                            B. League - 2
                            PBA - 2
                            ABL - 2
                            P League + - 1
                            East Cup/division II champion - 1

West
                            IRI - 3
                            JOR - 3
                            LIB - 3
                            KAZ - 2
                            GCC - 2
                            Indian subcontinent - 1
                            Levant countries exc. LIB - 1
                            West Cup/division II champion - 1

It's gonna be wild when this materializes. Massive success in the early years of EASL is going to be crucial for such an expansion to be considered.

Comment

• PBA might opt for sending Gilas instead: https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/p...-a793-20211202

So much for joining. If you're gonna join, your teams must be the one/s representing the pro league here.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                                PBA might opt for sending Gilas instead: https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/p...-a793-20211202

So much for joining. If you're gonna join, your teams must be the one/s representing the pro league here.
                                The fact that PBA wants to send Gilas shows their unwillingness to fully participate in EASL. On the other hand, the plans of the league sending a combined team of PBA players mean two things: (1) they want to take home the prize; and/or (2) they are trying to avoid PBA being gauged to other leagues.
                                Last edited by ja.he; 12-02-2021, 03:57 PM.
                                Attack
                                defend
                                Unite

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information