Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Major Absences from Team Rosters

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    I dont think Canada and USA situations are comparable.USA have proven their superiority time and time again.Even in 94 they sent a damn strong team for WC.Canada hasnt proven anything in international stage.For years they were just irrelevant.And now that they got a ton of talent they cant form a full strenth team.
    When it comes to valuing this tournament it does. Itís just not highly regarded. And thatís the case for the US no matter what results they have achieved. Like I have mentioned they didnít win this tournament for 30 years and were still sending B level collegiate teams while the Olympics had A level teams.
    And after losses in Ď02 and Ď06 they sent a very young B team. That illustrates it right there that results had no impact.

About 1994 team donít get confused. It was a strong team relative to B teams but make no mistake in the tradition of US Worlds teams it was still a B team. Also factor in that it was the second USA/NBA team ever put together and they were named Dream Team 2 so the novelty hadnít worn off yet.

Now I would go like this:

Starters

Kemba
    Mitchell
    Middleton
    Tatum
    Turner

Second unit

Smart
    Brown
    Barnes
    Kuzma
    Lopez

Canada players doing mistake here.Qualife from world cup to Olympics for american continent ( 2direct places) is easier than try to win a qualification 6 team tournament where you will need to beat one of Europe elite team .Like 2016 they couldn't beat France.

Two best teams from American continent is USA and Canada, now seeing such commitment of Canada players, they will gave that direct ticket to Argentina most likely and put themself in same position as in 2016 summer.

USA team will have only 3 all stars Kemba,Lowry and Middleton? The last one only made that team once.I can bet even 2002 team had more all stars.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    When it comes to valuing this tournament it does. It’s just not highly regarded. And that’s the case for the US no matter what results they have achieved. Like I have mentioned they didn’t win this tournament for 30 years and were still sending B level collegiate teams while the Olympics had A level teams.
    And after losses in ‘02 and ‘06 they sent a very young B team. That illustrates it right there that results had no impact.

About 1994 team don’t get confused. It was a strong team relative to B teams but make no mistake in the tradition of US Worlds teams it was still a B team. Also factor in that it was the second USA/NBA team ever put together and they were named Dream Team 2 so the novelty hadn’t worn off yet.
    USA even to American champ in 2007 send A level players together with 2008.So after two gold's they send B team in 2010, but as later years shown that was by far most tallented young players group they sended ever.

They were embarrassed in 2002_2004_2006 and what they are sending this year is searching for trouble.If young James, Wade(finals MVP) , Anthony,Howard couldn't deliver gold with bunch of other good players in 2006, they believe Tatum, Mitchell, Turner ,Kuzma gonna deliver ,I would say they again begin to disrespect the field and that makes this champ even more interesting.

Giannis gonna test those USA youngsters in second group and that game will tell me how strong this USA team is.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 08-03-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    USA even to American champ in 2007 send A level players together with 2008.So after two gold's they send B team in 2010, ,I would say they again begin to disrespect the field and that makes this champ even more interesting.
    I’ve said this like 20 times but I guess I have to keep repeating it. It’s not disrespectful if you just don’t care. The players don’t value or care about the Worlds. I understand that it might be hard for Europeans to understand but it’s just the way it is. You can’t make someone care about a tournament if they don’t. You make it sound like USA basketball gets to choose who to send. They only get to select from the list of players that care enough to participate.

2007 Americas was a different case because similar to ‘03 and ‘99 tournaments it was directly tied to the Olympics.
    It was a big difference. So the ‘07 team was gonna be pretty much the same as ‘08 Olympics. It didn’t hurt that the tournament was held in Las Vegas either. Same thing with ‘99 and ‘03 except that everyone dropped out in ‘04 due to many reasons. They tried to do that now by tying the World Cup into the Olympics but it’s not the same. They have many more avenues now like pre Olympic tournaments and wild card births.
    Last edited by usagre; 08-03-2019 at 06:49 PM.

USA team will have only 3 all stars Kemba,Lowry and Middleton? The last one only made that team once.I can bet even 2002 team had more all stars.

2010 had 3 all stars as well. But that stuff can be misleading. Mitchell is better than Lowry but he’s not an all star.

And Lowry + Middleton aren't typical All-stars imo. More so there due to team success. Lowry, though, was pretty impactful in the 2016 olympics, from what I remember.
    FWIW I think Tatum and Mitchell will be all-stars this coming season.

Many sources say that Jan Vesely wont be able to participate in the wc. His right knee is in bad shape and surgery is necessary.

Trae Young and DeAaron Fox as guards, Jaren Jackson Jr and John Collins as bigs have a legitimate shot at making the final roster even though they are on the select team in my opinion. Jarret Allen as the third center behind Turner and Lopez wouldn’t bother me either. I really hope mediocre players like Thaddeus Young, Mason Plumlee and even PJ Tucker don’t make the final roster. I want to see the youngsters. Anyone of the 3 I mentioned above won’t mean the difference between winning and losing the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    2010 had 3 all stars as well. But that stuff can be misleading. Mitchell is better than Lowry but he’s not an all star.
    2010 had 4 all stars and had superstar and best tournament player and future multiple league MVPs on their bench.5 same players from 2010 team made A Usa 2012 Olympic team.

This 2019 have no superstar,have 3 all stars can be only compared to 2002, but even that team had more all stars.Only Kemba has some shot to make USA A team in 2020 Olympic team nobody else from this group.

2010 had 4 all stars and had superstar and best tournament player and future multiple league MVPs on their bench.5 same players from 2010 team made A Usa 2012 Olympic team.

This 2019 have no superstar,have 3 all stars can be only compared to 2002, but even that team had more all stars.Only Kemba has some shot to make USA A team in 2020 Olympic team nobody else from this group.
    2010 All stars
    Durant, Rose and Billups.
    Who is number 4 ?

I think Shawshank is having problems adding again.

The fourth All-Star was Danny Granger(2009). In 2002 World Cup also they were four All-Stars +Reggie Miller. If I am correct 2004 team had only 3 All-Stars(Duncan, Iverson, Marbury,). It doesn't make sense this argument about All-Stars that make it to USA team. The fact is that this USA team, had many withdrawals after the training camp roster was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    The fourth All-Star was Danny Granger(2009). In 2002 World Cup also they were four All-Stars +Reggie Miller. If I am correct 2004 team had only 3 All-Stars(Duncan, Iverson, Marbury,). It doesn't make sense this argument about All-Stars that make it to USA team. The fact is that this USA team, had many withdrawals after the training camp roster was announced.
    Like I said Shawshank can’t count. He mentioned 3 current all stars so obviously I thought he was talking about coming off an all star season. That’s why I didn’t think Granger counted, otherwise the current team has 4 all stars as well since Brook Lopez was an all star a few years back. So anyway you want to count it they have the same number.

But I agree about All Star being misleading as a method of ranking teams. It’s all about the key rotation players that matter. (Granger was a garbage time player on that team)
    And this team will be very comparable to the 2010 team except for 2 very important differences.
    No Durant and this years road to title will be harder. 2010 Russia, Lithuania, Turkey was relatively easy.

Other than Durant the 7 others on that team were:

Billups
    Rose
    Iguodala
    Odom

Westbrook
    Gordon
    Gay.

Kemba, Mitchell, Middleton, Tatum, Kuzma, Turner, Barnes are very comparable.
    But that team was way too reliant on Durant. They barely averaged 90+ points and that was with Durant going nuts. I think this team is more balanced offensively and will be just fine. The bigger problem will be if they face a really good team like Serbia that did not exist in that tournament. Turkey was somewhat tough mainly because of the home court but not comparable to what Serbia can put on the court.
    Last edited by usagre; 08-04-2019 at 01:44 AM.

No obviuosly usagre you don't know how to count

2010 had 4 all stars.Granger was averaging 25 in 2009, 2010 24 pts he was same player all star level player.

Lopez is all star in 2019? Yeah he was 6 years ago once when played like different basketball player mostly inside ,now he is tottally different player veteran and wouldn't even make top 50 league players...yeah true all star )

If Lopez is all star than Lithuania also have 2 all star level players.That your all star wouldn't even start on half of elite European teams of this tournament.Im not even sure pop won't cut him.

Compare 2019 team to 2010 is ridiculous to say the least...but if men don't hear arguments can't help such person.

This 2019 have like 3-4 players that not starts on their own NBA team.

In 2019 other teams are obviuosly stronger compare to 2010 , in that champ most elite teams missed 2-3 starters, EuroBasket 2011 in Lithuania elite teams put way stronger teams than in 2010 because Olympic tickets was in play,but you don't know that don't you

Reigning finals MVP Nowitzky,former finals mvp Parker, NBA champion P.Gasol join in 2011 and manny others that wasn't in their respected teams in 2010 younger players championship.You think only USA sended younger player in 2010, no other team did that too( only Turkey had full roster because tournament was at home).How do think Turkey did in EuroBasket 2011? Didn't even made top 8 when best Europe players played.

2019 Competition level will be alot higher from other teams than was in 2010 atleast on paper for sure,because winners gets direct Olympic tickets.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 08-04-2019 at 06:43 AM.

just out of curiosity.
    what would happen if let's say Argentina and Canada for instance or Argentina and Brazil finish the tournament above team USA?
    no matter how unlikely it is to happen.
    I guess I'm not the only one who would like to see that.
    in that case USA would have to go through OQT.
    which team would they field there?
    team with 2-3 All Stars or with 5-6?
    would they care about that tournament?
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post
    just out of curiosity.
    what would happen if let's say Argentina and Canada for instance or Argentina and Brazil finish the tournament above team USA?
    no matter how unlikely it is to happen.
    I guess I'm not the only one who would like to see that.
    in that case USA would have to go through OQT.
    which team would they field there?
    team with 2-3 All Stars or with 5-6?
    would they care about that tournament?
    you better believe they would...
    When their ego and national pride are at stake, they are very quick to assemble a "redeem team", just like in 2007. And next year being the Olympic one, you can put your money on the best players to show up for that qualifier (even if they are limping or straight out of NBA finals lol)

I remember the 2010 WC very vividly as it was here. Durant in that tournament was like a cheat code - just when teams were balancing the game of start to get some confidence, Durant would shoot dagger threes over defenders to crush their hopes. In the current USA team, I can't see a player that can create such a disruptive effect.
    Dilimde şarkıların gŁndŁz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız FenerbahÁe
    Bu dŁnyayı yakarız senin iÁin
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Moreira joint the group of Angola. Valdelicio Joaquim also joined the team after two years. Mingas is questionable.

As for Russia Mozgov is out, he won't recover from his injury. The funny thing is that Mozgov said that the medical staff at USA, underestimate his injury and treat him wrong. Lampe is also out for Poland.

I read an interesting post which claims that RJ Barrett has no injury. Maybe it's all about unwillingness of RJ's commitment to Canada team. It reminds me Ginobili case at 2014 ,more or less.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast