Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Major Absences from Team Rosters

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Any backstory here? Or was he just not good enough... Although it's hard to be not good enough in the current Russian squad lol
    ankle injury

https://tass.com/sport/1074400

Edgar Sosa is out. They wouldn't let him wear an ankle brace so he left the team.

https://twitter.com/LaGuerradelBSN/s...28115977555968

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Is this old "news"? When was Nikola Kalinić cut? He didn't play in either friendly against Lithuania on September 10th or 12th.

Yes, it is super old news. I just wasn't paying enough attention
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

It seems that Bolden's personal reasons weren't so personal. He just wanted to be starter and play as a P, not as a C. This is an aspect of the NBA's bad effect to some players. I am not sure but i remember he had such problems when he was at Maccabi. By the way Landale has earned his spot fare and square. If this story stands i see no Bolden to Boomers squad in the near future.

Maodo Lo suffered a sprained ankle in today's friendly against TUN. Not sure of his status for the WC.

It's looking more and more like Brady Heslip (Istanbul BB) is out for Canada. He hasn't been with the team in Australia at all. It's possible that he skipped Australia and will join the team in China like what Cory Joseph is doing, but I doubt it. His shooting will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyFaceNelson View Post
    It's looking more and more like Brady Heslip (Istanbul BB) is out for Canada. He hasn't been with the team in Australia at all. It's possible that he skipped Australia and will join the team in China like what Cory Joseph is doing, but I doubt it. His shooting will be missed.
    If he played he’d be the worst defensive player in the entire tournament. He won’t be missed. We have enough shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyFaceNelson View Post
    Whi is Coach Nurse allowing that kind of shenanigans? Can't be good for team building and morale purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Whi is Coach Nurse allowing that kind of shenanigans? Can't be good for team building and morale purposes.

The worst thing about this is no one knows what the heck is going on. there is no Canadian media traveling with the team. The country's bball writers are just as clueless. Where is Cory Joseph, why is he missing, when is he going to show, how disruptive will this be for him to join so late - all the same to Heslip as well (who I clearly dont like as a player). No one is asking these questions and it shows the general apathy to the World Cup and FIBA in general among Canadian fans and media.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    No one is asking these questions....
    Actually we here are asking those questions but sadly we're the only ones.

And the hits just keep on coming. Kyle Kuzma out with injury.
    That hurts.

Any updates on the food poisoning of Grigonis and Sabonis?

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    That hurts.
    Big loss, he was quite impressive in both the wins against Spain and Australia.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

So player loss after loss we finally know the US 12. And it is without a doubt the weakest USA/NBA team ever. A lot of mediocre players might play significant minutes but I hope not.

Kemba. Smart
    Mitchell

Very good three guard rotation and White is the odd man out of the rotation.

Middleton
    Tatum
    Brown
    Barnes

Very solid wings with plenty of shooting. Harris would be my odd man out of rotation.

The bigs is the obvious weakness of the team. Turner is solid but Lopez and Plumlee not so much. Neither brings much to the table although I prefer Lopez.

That hurts.
    It takes quite an effort to not find a single american power forward willing to play for USA NT.Cause with Kuzma out there is simply no 4 in this roster.Harrison Barnes will start and Tatum will play there.That's a joke.Also what is with players withdrawing after the slightest injury?It was just a sore ankle,reporters said it was nothing serious and suddenly he's out.

Quote Originally Posted by christodoulou76 View Post
    Any updates on the food poisoning of Grigonis and Sabonis?
    Not yet. My understanding is that Domantas Sabonis started feeling queasy right before game time and let Coach Adomaitis know that he didn't think he could/should play. I suspect it's nothing serious but the team is taking no chances though and both players have been taken to the hospital for tests. We'll know later today.

Of course this raises the question of what Sabonis and Marius Grigonis were eating. Hopefully they weren't sampling street vendors' fare! And what in general is the protocol for the Lithuanian and other teams when they're travelling to exotic locales? I take it they don't bring their own cook along but just eat from a buffet set up for them in a hotel meeting room the team rents for their stay.

This of course touches upon what can become a serious problem. A few of the members of Team Canada had contracted food poisoning in 2015 prior to a pivotal semi against Venezuela which determined which team qualified for the Olympics.

Last edited by Hepcat; 08-24-2019 at 07:57 PM.

It’s funny over the years of i have heard so many times how you can’t just throw a bunch of all stars together and expect to win.
    You need role players the argument went. Will this unit will have role players galore. Definitely a couple of stars in the backcourt and all star/borderline all star couple of wings. Yes weak up front but in totality it’s still better on paper than what everyone else has even Serbia who is a close second.

It’s funny over the years of heard so many times how you can’t just throw a bunch of all stars together and expect to win.
    You need role players the argument went. Will this unit will have role players galore. Definitely a couple of stars in the backcourt and all star/borderline all star couple of wings. Yes weak up front but in totality it’s still better on paper than what everyone else has even Serbia who is a close second.
    It is funny, I agree. Somehow, if someone is talented, hard worker and is an all-star caliber player, he is a minus for a team? That is just crazy. Like all these guys on the all star level somehow are lockerroom cancers, ballhogs or something. That is just a nasty way to look at sports, and frankly mixed up with sprinkles of prejudice, jealousy and racism. Most of NBA players are not divas, they are not "me" first types of guys, they do care about winning and they love the game of basketball.

All-Star player can play a role as well, while offering something much more. Let's take the Carmelo Anthony in Team USA. Was he the focus on those teams, nope. Still, his presence was felt. Kemba Walker is probably the main handler here and he will try to get other guys involved. Jason Tatum would be the best player on probably 29 out of 32 teams in WC2019. Outside of Jokic on Serbia, Giannis on Greece and Kemba/Mitchell on USA. He will probably be the No. 4 option for Team USA. That should say enough about this non-sense that this team is not talented.

@Coach Z

Absolutely great points. Another way to look at it is if team USA was to divide its entire player pool into caliber groups
    Of A,B,C etc.

Kemba, Mitchell and Middleton are no doubt level B. Tatum arguably as well. That’s 4 right there. Turner, Brown and Barnes probably C level. That’s 7 players right there. Sure the 5 remaining roster players are level lower but again this should be enough to be the favorite.

@Coach Z

Absolutely great points. Another way to look at it is if team USA was to divide its entire player pool into caliber groups
    Of A,B,C etc.

Kemba, Mitchell and Middleton are no doubt level B. Tatum arguably as well. That’s 4 right there. Turner, Brown and Barnes probably C level. That’s 7 players right there. Sure the 5 remaining roster players are level lower but again this should be enough to be the favorite.
    Even if we don't separate the players into tiers in terms of talent level, and look at the skillset you will find that there are not a lot of weaknesses on this roster. I would point out that traditional post-up play is a weakness and defending it as well, but I have to be honest that the importance of that has been decreasing year after year. They have shooting, they have transition/slashing, they have willing and able defenders in Brown, Smart, Middleton, Tatum, Turner etc. Another point is the experience of the team, and that is something that might show up as well. Yet, all things given, it's not even close that Team USA is the most talented here.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast