Ąžuolas Tubelis thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
    Well thats what i said. A swifter Jankunas. The problem with the guy is he lives right now of his strength. His dribble is not tight enough but yes he can put the ball on the floor. I just couldnt see a change of speed and his touch around the rim needs work. To be able to get drafted he needs to prove himself in the first lithuanian league among men. From my limited views he is too limited offensively and too short. The second league shows nothing and all these U18 tournaments too.
    We'll see. I think he will still have notable advantage of speed's and toughness combination, but I agree he needs to add skill. However, his D IQ is great, he's a quick decision maker at O, he has great motor, strong mentality and above average toughness, athleticism for a Euro big. He is pretty good at scoring and uptempo game which he loves is the future of NBA. I surely see him a running and scoring center who can switch everything at D. That's the package of Tubelis as a prospect, IMO.

No need of traditional posting up, even if he does have some of that and will polish with time cause he's tough as bull. But he loves to run and to play p'n'r. That's all you need as a center in NBA basically.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
      We'll see. I think he will still have notable advantage of speed's and toughness combination, but I agree he needs to add skill. However, his D IQ is great, he's a quick decision maker at O, he has great motor, strong mentality and above average toughness, athleticism for a Euro big. He is pretty good at scoring and uptempo game which he loves is the future of NBA. I surely see him a running and scoring center who can switch everything at D. That's the package of Tubelis as a prospect, IMO.
      I have no doubt about his defensive game, hell surely be able to defend all four positions but he wont score at his current level. His motor is good but his level of aggressivness and explosiveness is low. He likes to run and lay up. A guy who cant shoot at all wont be able to go to the rim especially not in the nba. But let him proof himself in the first league at first. This BWB tournaments dont say much.

Comment

Well, he already stepping up onto LKL court. Played in 5 games thus far. In recent game got 11pts in 10minutes. And, no, he's pretty damn aggressive, but still could be even more. I hope he's much like Domas Sabonis case. With each year, since 16, he seemed to be much more aggressive and he adds that consistently every year.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Well, he already stepping up onto LKL court. Played in 5 games thus far. In recent game got 11pts in 10minutes. And, no, he's pretty damn aggressive, but still could be even more. I hope he's much like Domas Sabonis case. With each year, since 16, he seemed to be much more aggressive and he adds that consistently every year.
          I need to watch him in the next U18 EC. Cant say much because of few imput. Will observe him especially against Sengün in the game Turkey vs LTU. Sengün is a very good test for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
            I need to watch him in the next U18 EC. Cant say much because of few imput. Will observe him especially against Sengün in the game Turkey vs LTU. Sengün is a very good test for him.
            I think he'll be ready for any test at U18. He already dominated in U18 this summer as 17yo. This summer should be feasting absolutely. If he won't put up 20/14/4 compared to his 15/12.6/2.4 of last summer, I'll be disappointed.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I think he'll be ready for any test at U18. He already dominated in U18 this summer as 17yo. This summer should be feasting absolutely. If he won't put up 20/14/4 compared to his 15/12.6/2.4 of last summer, I'll be disappointed.
              I am talking about matchups. Sengün and Garuba is what he can face as his strongest opponents and both are also possible nba draftees.

Comment

So Tubelis heading to Arizona Wildcats. At first I wanted him in Rytas, but now I think it's way better place for him. IMO, he will be unleashed and will go for quite big numbers from the day one. He's that big of a star prospect. I think he's pretty much locked for a first round in NBA drafts. Most likely in 2021. That would be a first time since Domas Sabonis 2016. And when you think about it, Tubelis is much better defender as a prospect than Sabonis was. I think Tubelis is clearly the highest floor prospect not only in Lithuania, but likely as an international in 2002 class. I snatched couple of interesting quotes and share fresh highs from BWB. I really love his quick decision making, agility, nifty passes and explosiveness. Imagine the rotation of Sabonis and Tubelis at 5. We would play soooo much different BB than we have been playing in 10's. This makes me very optimistic. When you have extreme skill, IQ and athleticism at 5, you just need a good point guard and you have a team with ambition. I really hope Sabonis/Tubelis duo will connect with Jokubaitis/Marciulionis. If those will prevail, that's ultimate core. All you need more is solid and spot on pieces around them to contend.

And if he truly is the best international prospect to go the college route in this class like ESPN says he is, he should be a strong candidate to start alongside Brown.
                The Arizona Wildcats added not one but two more commits to their 2020 class on Wednesday, landing Lithuania twins Azuolas and Tautvilas Tubelis. Here is what their commitments mean. Much-needed...

The Lithuanian-born Azuolas Tubelis, 18, is considered the top European prospect in the 2020 class committing to the college route. He has represented his national team each of the past three summers in FIBA tournaments, leading Lithuania in scoring and rebounding at both the U16 and U18 European Championships.
                Azuolas Tubelis, considered to be the top European prospect in the 2020 class committing to the college route, will head to Arizona along with his twin brother, Tautvilas.

BWB highlights, where has was selected to ALL BWB TEAM:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

After his commitment I watched a couple games closely. Its right he will be able to contribute from day 1 and I have no doubts about being able to defend multiple positions in the NCAA. Not sure about fast play maker if he can keep up with them and against longer and stronger Center hell have a disadvantage. If he works on D i am optimistic that he can defend 1-4. One of the best defensive Bigs in 2002.

On the offensive end i am not that optimistic. His ball handling skills and explosiveness will make him finish in fast breaks or if the defending team hasnt found the guarding parts (secondary fast breaks) and he also has a nice touch with his strong hand but i dont see him as a big contributor in set offenses otherwise.

The guy has no post game, has a horrible touch from outside, cant really create something for himself and his worst weakness is he cant make fts. It will be exploited especially in crunch times. He outpowers in the games i watched his opponents with his 240 pounds. We must see what hell do against more athletic and evenly strong or stronger guys.

Another point is the speed of the game. He surely likes fast playing but hell need some adaptation time about the american way of playing.

About the BWB tournament. I am not a friend of these tournaments. Conclusions about them are really promising. The MVP of this tournament was for example Ariel Hukporti which I consider the biggest overestimation of 2002 born player. Injury prone, stamina of a 40 year old man, really bad defender, no agression in him etc.

His NBA projection right now can never be a first rounder. For that he has too severe limitations in offense. He should be at the same level as Kai Sotto just that Kai Sotto has his potential in the offense and is a very bad defender. I would say he is a power 5 starter thats for sure and on the long term a safe second round draftee.

Comment

Toruko, your points are spot on. However, we will agree that centers are turning now into sort of stretch 5s like Porzingis or rim runners in the NBA. I think eventually Tubelis might snatch a role close to the latter. He just loves to run up and down and I virtually don't remember a 5/4 prospect with such expressed face to face offensive profile. He goes coast to coast and attacks aggressively nearly from the three point line with his strong drives, using the Eurostep to make the bucket. I think this skill will translate very well to the NBA. Also his passing ability is overlooked, he's a nifty passer for such athletic, power player. But, yeah, at half court, he lacks shooting skill, post up game, even p'n'r game is raw at the moment. IMO, for him is the key to perfect p'n'r. Look at Sabonis, he became an all star with perfecting p'n'r game. Actually those 2 have a lot in common, that combination of mobility and sheer strength. Sabonis in the second season of Gonzaga showed flashes of improved shooting and that made him 11th pick. His physicality translated to the NBA perfectly. I think Tubelis physically wise might have the same advantages that Sabonis have in the NBA. And I think shooting will determine whenever he can expect to see him self in a range of 10-20 picks if he improves shooting and other offensive components, or he will be looking at some 25-40 range if he doesn't. Anyway, I think he might be feasting more than Sabonis did in his first season with Gonzaga where he was bit too wild, foul prone and couldn't establish real dominance which came only in second season. Tubelis shows more maturity at this point, he's much more settled and playing within his own control, specially defensively.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Domantas has a mid ranger and can make fts and is a very good passer for a big. I mean really really good. Azuolas finds the man in transition well but thats all for now. I can see him being drafted in the first round if he develops a shooting touch but he has no feeling in his fingers. Its not as bad as Calathes touch but this will be his restriction. I dont think he can be much better at this point.

I think that hell land in the NBA but without shooting and because of his size for now (if he doesnt grow anymore) it will be a good bench spot at max.

Comment

Tubelis signing quite hit USA media. Tons of various articles. Some suggests to slow the hype down a little bit when it came down in comparison to Lauri Markkenen. A lot of hype around him. When Tubelis was landed, Arisona jumped to 5th best NCAA team overall for next season. Really interesting what numbers he will be dropping from day one, specially after wealthy off season with an extreme physical coach A. Javtokas and his intense program. We'll see where he stands in the Summer League where will go off against LKL players for more extent hopefully. I went through my mind and I can't find any spot on comparison to any player...like literally...Looking forward to see who NBA people will compare him to.

The hype around Tubelis, a 6-foot-8, 215-pounder, is well deserved. In four different settings 247Sports has evaluated the low post prospect and been impressed with his physical, but skilled style of ball.

“The versatile post has the mobility and athleticism to play both the four and five in college,” 247Sports analyst Josh Gershon said. “He has good footwork and soft hands, can face up and put the ball on the ground and has a quick first step.”

Arizona’s 2020 recruiting class now ranks No. 5 overall and No. 1 in the PAC-12 Rankings in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings.

New Arizona pledge Azuolas Tubelis has had a decorated international career and built quite the reputation in Lithuania. The hype around Tubelis, a 6-foot-8,

“I think he gives us a lot of the same things that we came to love about Zeke Nnaji in that he’s a forward that’s versatile, very physical, can impact the game around the basket, but also is adept away from the rim, maybe even a little bit more so than Zeke,” Miller said of Azuolas. “Zeke maybe was a little bit bigger and more physical around the basket.”

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Dude, this Tubelis' performance against Fener is one of the most impressive and most ridiculous I've seen in a long time. I don't remember European big who would be so killing it in the transition, I mean like killing it, this is ridiculous :

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Super explicit scouting report on Tubelis by TheStepien, providing tiny details and his possible NBA roles:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Tubelis due to corona virus probably will start the season with Vilnius Rytas. So we'll see this dynamic due - Marciulionis, Tubelis - messing around in LKL next season. Kairys is about to unleash his uptempo "run and feast" kind of offense, should be fun

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

No NCAA basketball till 2021. Dude. Marciulionis made a right move. Tubelis should stay in Rytas for one year and then go to NCAA.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information