Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Team USA 2019/2020

The differences I see are that Popovich might have a bigger rotation of maybe 10 guys were Coach K really went with 8-9.
    I think the offense should have a better flow with 2 pro coaches.
    I don't know how much pressure defense they will play coming from an NBA background as opposed to Coach K's college background. Popovich might have to adjust here and continue playing this way because historically the defense has always resulted in a lot of easy offense.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    I don't know I just hate how he has alterior motives. For me run for office and change things. I am starting to think that him accepting the USA coaching position might not be all about basketball and that rubs me the wrong way.

But back to the court what changes do you foresee with Popovich instead of coach K ?
    I think you're overthinking it on his motives. Pop is Pop, he is an outspoken guy who can be really abrasive, really political, and who doesn't really care what people think. That's just who he is.

In terms of differences, I think we might see a more structured offense but I won't really have a good idea until I see some exhibition games.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post

In terms of differences, I think we might see a more structured offense but I won't really have a good idea until I see some exhibition games.
    I wonder how much the exhibition games will tell us. I remember 3 years ago it appeared Coach K was changing his style judging by his moves in the exhibition games. He was using a different starting lineup in each game. It actually worried me back then but for the actual tournament he settled on his pecking order.

I wonder how much the exhibition games will tell us. I remember 3 years ago it appeared Coach K was changing his style judging by his moves in the exhibition games. He was using a different starting lineup in each game. It actually worried me back then but for the actual tournament he settled on his pecking order.
    Honestly, I don't think we'll have true sense of what this team is until the second round at the earliest. In 2016 the team didn't really gel until the knockout stage.

by the way, I know we have a couple games in Australia, but when's the first exhibition?
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post

by the way, I know we have a couple games in Australia, but when's the first exhibition?
    Against Spain in California next Friday. This Friday is intra squad game. 5 years ago in the Paul George injury game I think it was 20 players 10 on each side. On Friday if Lowry isn’t ready to go 8 think that leaves 16 players so maybe 8 on each side.

Sounds like Marcus Smart is banged up and will miss the intra squad game on a Friday. He’s also questionable for the first exhibition next Friday against Spain. If Lowry still can’t go in 2 days then it’s 15 bodies for the scrimmage. Maybe they add from the select team again.

So for Team USA, I guess we are looking at...

Brooke Lopez
    Myles Turner
    Mason Plumlee
    Khris Middleton
    Jason Tatum
    Harrison Barnes
    Donovan Mitchell
    Kemba Walker
    Kyle Lowry
    D'Aron Fox

+ Kuzma/Tucker/Young/White/Brown/Smart

So it sounds like it will be the select team vs the senior team in the intra squad game. That’s different than both 2014 and 2010 when it was senior members broken up into two teams for the game.

Funny line by Colangelo on one of the major adjustments to FIBA play is that Popovich is teaching his players how to set illegal screens. Since they are legal in FIBA play.
    Last edited by usagre; 08-10-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Funny line by Colangelo on one of the major adjustments to FIBA play is that Popovich is teaching his players how to set illegal screens. Since they are legal in FIBA play.
    the same illegal screens that Kevin Garnett got away with all of his NBA career probably...maybe they are just illegal to selected few unlucky scrubs from the bench?

If I had to guess I think Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart will both make the team. That will leave 4 players for the last roster spot. It depends if Popovich wants a third big (Plumlee), another point guard (White), another shooter (Harris) or
    a veteran (Tucker). Regardless of the direction he chooses I think this will be a 12th man type and not a rotation player.

Popovich couldn’t help himself and doubled down with political rhetoric by praising Kaepernick. Hey Pop any thoughts on the 6 police officers with families doing their jobs and executing a narcotics warrant being harassed by residents and then actually being shot ? No comment ? Doesn’t suit your political agenda huh ? Like I said stick to your job and shut up.

Team USA for the ‘20 Olympics could have many interesting storylines.
    LeBron James swan song in Fiba play. ?
    Kevin Durant possibly playing for first time since Achilles ?
    Kawhi Leonard playing for Popovich ?

Give me Rick Carlisle, Doc Rivers anybody please but Popovich next summer. For Gods sake look at his track record with this team. It will probably moot if the best players participate and they’ll drag along Popovich to a gold but that’s not a guarantee that they will. 2016 might be the beginning of a trend when as opposed to ‘12 and ‘08 many top guys turned it down.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

I hope the long flight home after this tournament is over allows Popovich the time to contemplate and submit his resignation. Because he won’t be removed, the media who he has shit on for 20 years will have his back.

Another thing that I can’t stand is how after every opponent we have to hear the same nonsense. They’re a great team and have been playing together a long time. Please every team is not great. Czechs, Turkey Brazil don’t make it so because the Us coaches say so. They even have the players parroting the same non sense. Sooner or later they’ll start to think hey I guess everyone has a great team and we are just in a group with everyone else. I want to hear the coaches and players say we blew it, we had the best players and team and should have won.

2 withdrawals that really hurt the team was Lillard and Beal.USA needed an elite playmaker badly.Kemba is good but not elite.An elite NBA player doesnt get owned by Frank Ntilikina.Mitchell had a quiet tournament but at least stepped up when it mattered.The problem in centers is unsolvable.Except for Davis who doesnt even like to play at 5 USA has no elite center.Everyone would possibly get owned by Gobert.But it doesnt matter.Strange as it sounds i dont think USA lost because of Gobert but because of poor showing of their main pg.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    2 withdrawals that really hurt the team was Lillard and Beal.USA needed an elite playmaker badly.Kemba is good but not elite.An elite NBA player doesnt get owned by Frank Ntilikina.Mitchell had a quiet tournament but at least stepped up when it mattered.The problem in centers is unsolvable.Except for Davis who doesnt even like to play at 5 USA has no elite center.Everyone would possibly get owned by Gobert.But it doesnt matter.Strange as it sounds i dont think USA lost because of Gobert but because of poor showing of their main pg.
    Popovich managed to alienate DeAron Fox and ended up with Derrick White instead. But bottom line you can’t let Gobert play volleyball off the boards. Lopez and Plumlee have to be in there and put a big body on him. And Turner has to be in there until he fouls out. It was a dumb decision by Popovich among many that led to this loss.

Some more great Popovich coaching.

Middleton your only other all star was never incorporated into the team like he should and finished 7th in minutes played during the tournament even behind Joe Harris.

Myles Turner you’re only true big man finished 8th I repeat 8th in minutes. Never truly incorporated in the role he should have been in.

Harrison Barnes 25.5 minutes a game second on the team behind Mitchell. But hey he did have Gold Medal Fiba experience from being the 12th man 3 years ago.

This team was weak and the Tatum injury or whatever that was didn’t help but Popovich didn’t make things any better, he made them worse.

I just read on twitter than Tatum took part in yesterday practise,took part in morning shootaround but didnt play in the game!!What a joke.You are right, stuff like this,sets the tone for other guys and sends wrong message.USA basketball is so scared of NBA owners in case a player gets injured.Even this poor team would have a better chance if they made a proper training camp and not this half assed preperation of 14 practises and 4 friendlies before the tournament.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast