Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ettore Messina returns - Milano's new GM & Coach

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/eurolea...ani-part-ways/

Coach Pianigiani has left Milano and will be replaced by Ettore Messina, who will also serve as their new GM.

Thoughts on this? Firstly, I thought he might have hung on longer in the NBA, he certainly seemed to be in contention for a number of jobs. It's pretty novel in Europe (or anywhere) to see a coach who is also serving as a GM. Perhaps this has a chance to work well because there will be no-one above him signing players he doesn't want etc but it didn't really work out well for the Clippers when they had Doc Rivers in both roles, so will be interesting to see how this goes.

The other point is that Messina's record at Real and his second spell at CSKA weren't as impressive as his earlier career. He seemed to struggle with the politics in Madrid and the results weren't spectacular, but they did make the final 4 in his second season, although he did resign just before the playoffs. First season back at CSKA was underwhelming, some really dodgy signings and an abysmal F4 performance. Second season was a struggle too, although if the Khryapa mishap didn't happen they probably would have made the final. CSKA's players seemed to enjoy playing under Itoudis more and the style of basketball became a lot more fun to watch.

Now he's been in the NBA for five years as an assistant, how will he have changed? Is he going to be telling Mike James to shoot earlier and more often? And will Milano become more of a destination now they have a legendary coach with full control over the team? Or will Jon Koncak's harsh words remain true forever??

Jon Koncak:
    "You were all too quick to declare that Armani will be good this year.They will NEVER be good"

Messina to Milan is a done deal? via Eurohoops

Comment

Originally posted by edvinas9 View Post

https://twitter.com/olimpiami1936?lang=en
      Yes coach and president of basketball operations
      EUROLEAGUEADDICTED

Comment

I hoped Gerardini will go to Milano and we will get new GM.

Comment

Originally posted by janketa View Post
          I hoped Gerardini will go to Milano and we will get new GM.
          LOL, there's about 0.01% chance we get someone better than Gherardini. If you want to worry about something, worry about our financial problems and how we can keep Gherardini and Obradovic.

About Messina, I had thought he'd stay in Spurs. I'm truly surprised to see otherwise. I wonder what is the main motivation of his return.

About Milano, that is as good of a chance as possible for them. I only worry about GM and coach bring the same person, it doesn't work in NBA. We have no reason to believe he won't have the same problems Doc Rivers and Thibodeau had (lack off accountability, separation of powers, only 1 mind instead of 2 approaching the same problem etc.)

About Euroleague, this is great. The more great coaches, the merrier.
          Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
          Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
          Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
          Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

Originally posted by edvinas9 View Post

https://twitter.com/olimpiami1936?lang=en
            if he accepted , he surely will have a great roster. so in this case, milano it will be at least a poff team

Comment

Originally posted by maccabeo View Post
              if he accepted , he surely will have a great roster. so in this case, milano it will be at least a poff team
              Milano already has playoff team but now they have great coach too. With one or two more players they will be F4 team

Comment

milano will once again be out of playoffs. no need to even see their full roster. not even popovic would make them a play off team.
                same goes for maccabi
                Sasa Pukl for MVP

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information