Page 77 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 3504

Thread: Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    In counties who are still under colony eh I think they need residency.. if a player was born in Guam eh automatically they are eligible.. in a case of Jericho Cruz eh he was born here but raised and played in Guam, even he played in their youth squad.. unlike us that needed passport to be eligible eh these countries only need years of residency to be eligible because in case of Guam eh they using US passport so only need is residency.. (I don't know how many years)..

So guys who might be ineligible like Harper,Artest,Ballungay,etc for example can live and play there for awhile and can represent the territory in FIBA Games.

Quote Originally Posted by ARMIR View Post
    They're US citizens so they can even get Jalen Green if he wants to.
    They apply a different rule for Guam, forgot the details but residency for those not born in Guam is one of the requirements

Just to add emphasis is raised in Guam not just residency

All of this is consistent with FIBAs guidelines, that's why Greg's residency at Younger age has more importance THAN say Standhardinger as a pro in mid 20s
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    They apply a different rule for Guam, forgot the details but residency for those not born in Guam is one of the requirements

Just to add emphasis is raised in Guam not just residency

All of this is consistent with FIBAs guidelines, that's why Greg's residency at Younger age has more importance THAN say Standhardinger as a pro in mid 20s
    Still, much easier than getting PH passport because you cannot get the passport unless you are PH citizen.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Quote Originally Posted by ARMIR View Post
    So guys who might be ineligible like Harper,Artest,Ballungay,etc for example can live and play there for awhile and can represent the territory in FIBA Games.
    Actually also teams like Hong Kong, Taiwan and any countries still under colonial era eh can do the same what Guam doing.. example for Hong Kong, they can field CJ Perez and Joseph Eriobu at the same as locals due that these two players actually born in Hong Kong, thus automatically eligible as locals.. but we already take CJ Perez, thus only Eriobu has the chance to make Hong Kong roster due that he's not yet played in any national team..

Actually also teams like Hong Kong, Taiwan and any countries still under colonial era eh can do the same what Guam doing.. example for Hong Kong, they can field CJ Perez and Joseph Eriobu at the same as locals due that these two players actually born in Hong Kong, thus automatically eligible as locals.. but we already take CJ Perez, thus only Eriobu has the chance to make Hong Kong roster due that he's not yet played in any national team..

Didn't Eriobu played for Eric Altamirano's youth team? Eriobu and Alolino played for the Perpetual juniors before being pirated to NU.
    SAN BEDA BASKETBALL

Quote Originally Posted by The_Big_Cat View Post
    Didn't Eriobu played for Eric Altamirano's youth team? Eriobu and Alolino played for the Perpetual juniors before being pirated to NU.
    I don't know if he played youth team before here but he was born in Hong Kong, so he can represent Hong Kong as a local..

That’s ABL rules. Not FIBA. ABL has the same rules as the old MBA which allowed Alex Compton to play as a local.

Quote Originally Posted by k3ttch View Post
    That’s ABL rules. Not FIBA. ABL has the same rules as the old MBA which allowed Alex Compton to play as a local.
    No.. it is also on FIBA rules.. a player who was born to his origin country is automatically local to his country of his birth.. example is Matt Ganuelas Rosser, he was locally eligible because he was born in Olongapo while his little brother Brandon Rosser was not eligible due that he was born outside country.. Eriobu was born in Hong Kong, and not yet played in any FIBA games.. so he will qualified to play as local in Hong Kong under FIBA rules.. Jericho Cruz on the other hand, Was born here, but was stayed and raised in early years in Saipan and same time played youth competition at Saipan / Guam.. So he can play only as a local in Guam, not on us..

Regardless, I hope Guam requests to transfer from Oceania to Seaba. I think they are the worthy opponents for Gilas in ASEAN level. No offense to Thailand and Indonesia but I don't really see them as teams that are capable to give Gilas challenge. With Guam, Gilas has to deal with Guam's size and in terms of skills, Gilas has only a slight edge over Guamanians.

Guam's style of play, imo, is like a hybrid of Gilas and Tall Blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Regardless, I hope Guam requests to transfer from Oceania to Seaba. I think they are the worthy opponents for Gilas in ASEAN level. No offense to Thailand and Indonesia but I don't really see them as teams that are capable to give Gilas challenge. With Guam, Gilas has to deal with Guam's size and in terms of skills, Gilas has only a slight edge over Guamanians.

Guam is maybe in Kazakhztan/Qatar level. Gilas is still better but can be beaten by these teams.

Logistic issues i think it will not happend.. They are now happy in Pacific Games.. they are powerhouse there..

Logistic issues i think it will not happend.. They are now happy in Pacific Games.. they are powerhouse there..
    Actually, Guam is much closer in SEA than let's say Australia and New Zealand.

Actually, Guam is much closer in SEA than let's say Australia and New Zealand.
    and guam is much closer to RP

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    and guam is much closer to RP
    Make sense.

Make sense.

... Jericho Cruz on the other hand, Was born here, but was stayed and raised in early years in Saipan and same time played youth competition at Saipan / Guam.. So he can play only as a local in Guam, not on us..
    To clarify, since he was born in the Philippines, then he qualify as a local. Now, it is a different issue if he is not considered in the NT selection for FIBA or that his playing with GUAM during their qualification phase last year(?) makes him ineligible to join Gilas in FIBA Tourney.
    Personally, I would choose GUAM, since I will be given more opportunity to compete in international competition. That will only bode well for his professional career, as aptly stated by CYG.

No.. it is also on FIBA rules.. a player who was born to his origin country is automatically local to his country of his birth.. example is Matt Ganuelas Rosser, he was locally eligible because he was born in Olongapo while his little brother Brandon Rosser was not eligible due that he was born outside country.. Eriobu was born in Hong Kong, and not yet played in any FIBA games.. so he will qualified to play as local in Hong Kong under FIBA rules.. Jericho Cruz on the other hand, Was born here, but was stayed and raised in early years in Saipan and same time played youth competition at Saipan / Guam.. So he can play only as a local in Guam, not on us..
    I think that only applies if you have a passport from the country.. so its automatic your eligible if you have a passport and born there, you need both not just one
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    Yes absolutely at any level, one needs real game situation reps to develop. (but of course vs good competition), not against a chair or stationery cones lol
    It also has to be the right type of exposure though, if the 6 4 player is playing 30 min as a PF, that won't help him develop to be a good guard or wing

Speaking of, it's critical when the age of exposure of development is provided, it makes a lot of difference if it's provided at college age (18 to 22 yrs old) "as compared to after college (23 to 25).,,so if good size and potential players like say Norwood, were given opportunitirs to be a scorer and the man as a wing at 19 to 22 yrs old that would make a difference. At 23 late na, he's passive already cause thats how he was trained in his critical development years
    I think the same theory also applies to a player who have been playing as a natural shooting guard during high school & college and is being converted to point guard when he is already 24 or 25 years old. Medyo late na. That is why I'm not really that positive of the idea of converting CJ Perez into a point guard. At mid-20's, its late for Perez to make a transition from a shooting guard to a point guard.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I think the same theory also applies to a player who have been playing as a natural shooting guard during high school & college and is being converted to point guard when he is already 24 or 25 years old. Medyo late na. That is why I'm not really that positive of the idea of converting CJ Perez into a point guard. At mid-20's, its late for Perez to make a transition from a shooting guard to a point guard.
    Maybe a conversion of dave ildefonso as a point guard is much better.

Dave is a gifted scorer. He just needs to facilitate more. His height is ideal for international cimpetition. He also has the speed, explosiveness, and will to go against bigger guys

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Guam should join the ABL

Page 77 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast