Page 74 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 3504

Thread: Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by DenzelGreat8 View Post
    You're not, thought it won't happen bro, lahat na lang kasi ng bagay may politika. We can't enjoy the sport itself without dealing with the itsy bitsy (policitcs) of it.
    agree to much politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonifacio View Post
    I question why people call Romeo as bakaw. Look at his stats in Gilas and you would see that he has the most assist.
    per realgm.com, FIBA International Competitions:
    Castro: 120 AST, 38 games, 3.2 APG
    Romeo: 43 AST, 19 games, 2.9 APG
    Ravena: 21 AST, 9 games, 2.3 APG
    Blatche 65 AST, 29 games, 2.2 APG (3.9 APG in the 2019 WCQ)

I don't think assists are an accurate measure of whether or not a player is a ball hog. A player who has more of the ball is likelier to get an assist precisely because he has more of the ball and has the prerogative to pass or to shoot. This is the reason why our leading assists men are Castro, Romeo, and Blatche. Also, Romeo played a lot of PG internationally so passing is part of his duty.
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    And Remy Martin..

List of FIBA eligible pinoy basketball players who have basketball experience in US worth considering for Gilas pool up to 2023;

C-Kai Sotto 7'2
    C/PF-Japeth Aguilar 6'9
    C/PF-AJ Edu 6'10
    SF-Kobe Paras 6'6
    SF/SG-Dwight Ramos 6'5
    SF/SG/PG-BRP Jr. 6'4
    SG-Matt Wright 6'4
    PG-Dalph Panopio 6'2
    PG-Kiefer Ravena 5'11
    PG-Remy Martin 5'11

Homegrown pinoys who have no playing experience in US worth consideration for Gilas pool;

C-Junemar Fajardo 6'10
    C-Geo Chiu 6'10
    PF-Justine Baltazar 6'8
    PF-Isaac Go 6'8
    PF/SF-Carl Tamayo 6'7
    SF-Troy Rosario 6'7
    SF-Francis Lopez 6'5
    SF-Calvin Oftana 6'5
    SG-Dave Ildefonso 6'4
    SG-Javee Mocon 6'3
    SG-Rhenz Abando 6'3
    SG-Allyn Bulanadi 6'3
    SG-Rey Suerte 6'2
    SG-Thirdy Ravena 6'2
    SG/PG-CJ Perez 6'1
    PG-Matt Nieto 6'1
    PG-Robert Bolick 6'1
    PG-Juan GDL 6'1
    PG-Rey Nambatac 6'0
    PG-SJ Belangel 5'11
    we really lack that tall sf

Quote Originally Posted by Bonifacio View Post
    I question why people call Romeo as bakaw. Look at his stats in Gilas and you would see that he has the most assist.
    Watch also his games and you will see hus has the mist dribbles and the ball stays with him instead of calling the plays....Yun bang you dribble 15 seconds then with time dwindling you take a contested jumpshot... Di man lang umikot ang bola..

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    Us with abundance of versatile big and wing scorers? Who? Clarkson is ineligible. Ramos has not yet played a UAAP game. Who else? I know some of our guys have potential but isnt it too early to count our chicks before they are hatched?

I agree though that our PGs shouldnt be ball dominant. They should be more Steph than Paul. Not that they shouldnt pass but they should be able to give the ball and work off it if they cant make anything happen after a few dribbles.
    We have Thirdy who has offers abroad, we have Paras who has Div 1 experience, NCAA MVP Oftana is actually natural SF, imagine a 6-5 winger in Ramos after 2 years with Tab, Dave Ildefonso also after 2 years at Ateneo and Ray Parks... We only get to play 12, so thats more than enough... Wala pa dyan ang Batang Gilas like Lopez and Lazaro plus Filfors Artest, Harper, Balunggay, Travis Roberts.

If they could still get some PBA players i think the top contender for the point guard position is CJ Perez.The guy was hadan excellent tournament in the world cup.He deserves(if hismother team is willing) to have a spot in the Fiba windows.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

And Remy Martin..

List of FIBA eligible pinoy basketball players who have basketball experience in US worth considering for Gilas pool up to 2023;

C-Kai Sotto 7'2
    C/PF-Japeth Aguilar 6'9
    C/PF-AJ Edu 6'10
    SF-Kobe Paras 6'6
    SF/SG-Dwight Ramos 6'5
    SF/SG/PG-BRP Jr. 6'4
    SG-Matt Wright 6'4
    PG-Dalph Panopio 6'2
    PG-Kiefer Ravena 5'11
    PG-Remy Martin 5'11

Homegrown pinoys who have no playing experience in US worth consideration for Gilas pool;

C-Junemar Fajardo 6'10
    C-Geo Chiu 6'10
    PF-Justine Baltazar 6'8
    PF-Isaac Go 6'8
    PF/SF-Carl Tamayo 6'7
    SF-Troy Rosario 6'7
    SF-Francis Lopez 6'5
    SF-Calvin Oftana 6'5
    SG-Dave Ildefonso 6'4
    SG-Javee Mocon 6'3
    SG-Rhenz Abando 6'3
    SG-Allyn Bulanadi 6'3
    SG-Rey Suerte 6'2
    SG-Thirdy Ravena 6'2
    SG/PG-CJ Perez 6'1
    PG-Matt Nieto 6'1
    PG-Robert Bolick 6'1
    PG-Juan GDL 6'1
    PG-Rey Nambatac 6'0
    PG-SJ Belangel 5'11
    remy martin is still ??? in terms of his eligibility. no clear cut answer from sbp itself..

Quote Originally Posted by sajubeads View Post
    Watch also his games and you will see hus has the mist dribbles and the ball stays with him instead of calling the plays....Yun bang you dribble 15 seconds then with time dwindling you take a contested jumpshot... Di man lang umikot ang bola..
    That's the previous romeo, he drastically change when he transferred in San Miguel, he become multi player now, before when he had the ball, he is only looking for a shot, now he setting up his team mates, he play defense now also, he is a team player now and not a franchise player anymore

Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    I don't think assists are an accurate measure of whether or not a player is a ball hog. A player who has more of the ball is likelier to get an assist precisely because he has more of the ball and has the prerogative to pass or to shoot. This is the reason why our leading assists men are Castro, Romeo, and Blatche. Also, Romeo played a lot of PG internationally so passing is part of his duty.
    Kinda agree with this.

Stephon Marbury & Allen Iverson's respective career averages in assist were pretty decent, yet neither player was considered as a great point guard. Both Marbury & Iverson were not in the same level as John Stockton, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd & Steve Nash as far as court savvy, decision making & floor vision are concerned.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

And Remy Martin..

C-Kai Sotto 7'2
    C/PF-Japeth Aguilar 6'9
    C/PF-AJ Edu 6'10
    SF-Kobe Paras 6'6
    SF/SG-Dwight Ramos 6'5
    SF/SG/PG-BRP Jr. 6'4
    SG-Matt Wright 6'4
    PG-Dalph Panopio 6'2
    PG-Kiefer Ravena 5'11
    PG-Remy Martin 5'11

C-Junemar Fajardo 6'10
    C-Geo Chiu 6'10
    PF-Justine Baltazar 6'8
    PF-Isaac Go 6'8
    PF/SF-Carl Tamayo 6'7
    SF-Troy Rosario 6'7
    SF-Francis Lopez 6'5
    SF-Calvin Oftana 6'5
    SG-Dave Ildefonso 6'4
    SG-Javee Mocon 6'3
    SG-Rhenz Abando 6'3
    SG-Allyn Bulanadi 6'3
    SG-Rey Suerte 6'2
    SG-Thirdy Ravena 6'2
    SG/PG-CJ Perez 6'1
    PG-Matt Nieto 6'1
    PG-Robert Bolick 6'1
    PG-Juan GDL 6'1
    PG-Rey Nambatac 6'0
    PG-SJ Belangel 5'11
    Let's see how Ramos plays the point guard position. I hope he's quick enough to play the position.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    Let's see how Ramos plays the point guard position. I hope he's quick enough to play the position.
    I don't think shifting Dwight Ramos to the PG spot is really that feasible. I see him as a natural 2 or 3 guy. I would be satisfied if Ramos ends up as a good National team material playing the 2 spot. A 6-foot-4/6-foot-5 shooting guard would be a significant height upgrade for the Phi team to think that we're used to seeing 6-foot-0/6-foot-1 shooting guards in our National team since time immemorial.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    Us with abundance of versatile big and wing scorers? Who? Clarkson is ineligible. Ramos has not yet played a UAAP game. Who else? I know some of our guys have potential but isnt it too early to count our chicks before they are hatched?

I agree though that our PGs shouldnt be ball dominant. They should be more Steph than Paul. Not that they shouldnt pass but they should be able to give the ball and work off it if they cant make anything happen after a few dribbles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
    That's the previous romeo, he drastically change when he transferred in San Miguel, he become multi player now, before when he had the ball, he is only looking for a shot, now he setting up his team mates, he play defense now also, he is a team player now and not a franchise player anymore
    A team player and not the franchise type player Romeo is no good for Gilas... You get Romeo for his scoring but for all intent and purposes, he is a Shooting giard and not a PG... A born scorer in a PG body... If we play him at SG Gilas would be so small at the backcourt, a defensive liability... If we play him at PG granting he he has mellowed his bakaw ways, his natural instinct would still be to score and pass secondary.. If talagang nagbago na siya at di na siya ballhog titira, we are not playing to his strength which is shooting. Point is Romeo is a natural Scoring shooting guard, not a facilitator PG like Abarrientos or Calma or Magsanoc... He is a Helterbrand Caguioa clone in a Jimmy Alapag body...

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Please, let us goal to develop big guards at least 6'4. That is the only we we can beat other teams especially against good shooters.
    That's a pretty tall order pro. I say developing 6-foot-0 to 6-foot-2 point guards is a much more realistic goal.

Maybe some 20 to 25 years from now, we will see more 6-foot-4 & above point guards in Phi basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by xenoloxy View Post
    If you look at the pool for the teams in Fiba’s website its only around 15-16 players per country. Its probably an issue with their website since teams like Thailand, Korea and Australia habe given 24 man pool
    Bro, can you kindly provide the FIBA website where we can find the 24-man pool of all participating teams.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by deviant View Post
    we really lack that tall sf
    Reserve for the next naturalized player and Kobe Paras backing him up in the 3 position. While a 3-man rotation for the 4 and 5 position(Kai, AJ, Japeth).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    Don't expect to play pure or plainly PG, Luka is slow but is a good PG

Luka plays well with Dragic in Slovenia, it isn't pure PG for Dwight
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Wings. CJ, JC while ineligible is a sure prospect for NP
    Don't need to see Dwight in UAAP, (That's a fan thing, not a scout coach requirement) and there is Dave (yes young but one can make a projection)
    Basically we do have a reasonable size of wings who are adept in handling the ball. It's not that they're real PG, but quarterbacking can be done by committee, it does not always have to be led from the PG spot. You can have point forwards. As an example. That's how the game is played today which makes a team so much more dangerous with offense can be triggered by multiple players
    Last edited by analyzed; 01-23-2020 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    Wings. CJ, JC while ineligible is a sure prospect for NP
    Don't need to see Dwight in UAAP, (That's a fan thing, not a scout coach requirement) and there is Dave (yes young but one can make a projection)
    Basically we do have a reasonable size of wings who are adept in handling the ball. It's not that they're real PG, but quarterbacking can be done by committee, it does not always have to be led from the PG spot. You can have point forwards. As an example. That's how the game is played today which makes a team so much more dangerous with offense can be triggered by multiple players
    Bro, in your assessment of Dwight Ramos' game, what can we expect from him when he enters the PBA? Could we expect some sort of a Marcio Lassiter type of impact or a James Yap type of impact in the PBA?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Bro, in your assessment of Dwight Ramos' game, what can we expect from him when he enters the PBA? Could we expect some sort of a Marcio Lassiter type of impact or a James Yap type of impact in the PBA?
    I forget where I read it, but an opposing coach described Dwight game saying he's an all around player, very sound, with high basketball IQ, he further said that he does everything for team B, including being a scorer, but said if he had better teamates he could actually play PG.
    Ok sabihin ko na, talked to a kiwi bald coach.. who said in his view he's the best guard in the Philippines! Obviously I was stunned, so I asked better than. KOBE? Yes raw, not knowing Dwight I probed and asked can he play PG? Answer in my system he will!, so again stunned, I asked but can he defend (cause my concern was speed against fast guards, (eh. He defends well raw!
    All of this is consistent with what that opposing coach observation was. So you see I don't need to see him in the UAAP to be convinced, I truly trust their judgement
    I mean seriously why put a player in the pool who hasn't played a single games in the UAAP. A selector will look foolish if wala pala and he had no game
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    I forget where I read it, but an opposing coach described Dwight game saying he's an all around player, very sound, with high basketball IQ, he further said that he does everything for team B, including being a scorer, but said if he had better teamates he could actually play PG.
    Ok sabihin ko na, talked to a kiwi bald coach.. who said in his view he's the best guard in the Philippines! Obviously I was stunned, so I asked better than. KOBE? Yes raw, not knowing Dwight I probed and asked can he play PG? Answer in my system he will!, so again stunned, I asked but can he defend (cause my concern was speed against fast guards, (eh. He defends well raw!
    All of this is consistent with what that opposing coach observation was. So you see I don't need to see him in the UAAP to be convinced, I truly trust their judgement
    I mean seriously why put a player in the pool who hasn't played a single games in the UAAP. A selector will look foolish if wala pala and he had no game
    Ok, noted bro. Thanks very much for that broad reply.

I was sort of written Dwight Ramos off after seeing his measly stats in the US NCAA Div. 1. We have to take note that the schools he played didn't even belong to the "elite" conferences in the NCAA Div. 1. We also have to take note that guys like Matt Wright & Marcio Lassiter had decent stats in their respective NCAA Div. 1 career.

Page 74 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast