No announcement yet.

Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aside from the defensive deficiencies, that 5 of ours can’t score at all. Idk what Coach Yeng was thinking but in hindsight he should’ve put a CJ Perez somewhere in that backcourt.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by geohunk View Post
      2019 FIBA World Cup Italy vs. Gilas

Starting Five of Italy:

Gallinari 6'10"
      Datome 6'8"
      Biligha 6'7"
      Bellineli 6'5"
      Hacket 6'6"

Starting Five of Gilas:

Blatche 6'10"
      Japeth 6'9"
      Gabe 6'5"
      Pogoy 6'2" (on a good day)
      Barroca 5'10"

Yup just look at that backcourt of Italy from PG to small forward. That length and athleticism compared to ours. Combined with superior teamplay and no-nonsense basic fundamental skills of their frontline compared to us....RESULT: 37-8 score at the end of the first quarter.

So no Italy isn't Super Tall, but they sure didn't have anyone shorter than 6'3" on their team, (Average height 6'7"). While on our side there was even a stretch where we had Ravena, Lee and Bolick at the same time.

Really now. Forcing 3 guys less than 6'2" to matchup against a team that has 6'5" point guards and shooting guards and 6'7" small forwards. Oonga pala CONTEXT. I forgot the word of the day. I think you guys should have reminded Yeng of the word CONTEXT back then too.
      What context we would’ve had reminded him of?
      Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
        What context we would’ve had reminded him of?
        Forget it, it was sarcasm on my part. You know how I am sometimes. LOL! But still Yeng forcing the issue by playing Lee, Ravena and Bolick at the same time against a superior team like italy?? Like What da fuQ!
        Originally posted by PeeZones
        Kai is a top ten lottery pick come draft day and the best team for him is the spurs...Kai is way more skilled OFFENSIVELY than duncan, yao, aldridge, kp. etc..Kai is way better offensively than Porzingis by a mile...Kareem isnt really way far than Kai..decent bball IQ for both MJ and Kobe but Kai belongs to the highly skilled and high IQ players...I see talent clearly and they cant.

Comment

• You really stand a greater chance of being tambak if your undersize and slow in the perimeter, than if your 2 or 3 inches shorter in the interior. Why? Cause giving up essentially open 3s and fast break point drives is absolutely the worst thing to give.
          You can live with getting abused in the low post, but having contested shots at least a few of those possessions won't be makes and it's work and takes seconds of the clock to milk a mismatch inside. But open 3s and layups on transition, that laughable defense really
          Last edited by analyzed; 10-04-2020, 10:08 AM.
          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
          https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

2019 FIBA World Cup Italy vs. Gilas

Starting Five of Italy:

Gallinari 6'10"
            Datome 6'8"
            Biligha 6'7"
            Bellineli 6'5"
            Hacket 6'6"

Starting Five of Gilas:

Blatche 6'10"
            Japeth 6'9"
            Gabe 6'5"
            Pogoy 6'2" (on a good day)
            Barroca 5'10"

Yup just look at that backcourt of Italy from PG to small forward. That length and athleticism compared to ours. Combined with superior teamplay and no-nonsense basic fundamental skills of their frontline compared to us....RESULT: 37-8 score at the end of the first quarter.

So no Italy isn't Super Tall, but they sure didn't have anyone shorter than 6'3" on their team, (Average height 6'7"). While on our side there was even a stretch where we had Ravena, Lee and Bolick at the same time.

Really now. Forcing 3 guys less than 6'2" to matchup against a team that has 6'5" point guards and shooting guards and 6'7" small forwards. Oonga pala CONTEXT. I forgot the word of the day. I think you guys should have reminded Yeng of the word CONTEXT back then too.
            As you see, Italians never posted up us in that game. The scores of their frontline came from the perimeter, pick-n-rolls, pick-n-pops, post-trails, backdoor cuts and NOT post ups.

I would rather give up points in the paint than give up perimeter points because that would open the game up. While i'm fine with shorter but more versatile and quicker bigs, i am against shorter players at the backcourt (1, 2 and 3).

Look at that game, we had Blatche and Japeth at the 4 and 5, respectively. The problem, though, was our backcourt was Pogoy and Barroca. While Pogoy put up some fight with Bellinelli, it was Barroca that ultimately killed us from the very start. Can you expect a 5'8 not so fast guard to put up a fight against an athletic 6'6 guard in the name of Hackett?

Having a decent size backcourt would help the team significantly.
            Last edited by ja.he; 10-04-2020, 10:46 AM.
            Attack
            defend
            Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
              As you see, Italians never posted up us in that game. The scores of their frontline came from the perimeter, pick-n-rolls, pick-n-pops, post-trails, backdoor cuts and post ups.

I would rather give up points in the paint than give up perimeter points because that would open the game up. While i'm fine with shorter but more versatile and quicker bigs, i don't shorter players at the backcourt (1, 2 and 3).

Look at that game, we had Blatche and Japeth at the 4 and 5, respectively. The problem, though, was our backcourt with Pogoy and Barroca.

Having a decent size backcourt would help the team significantly.

And these stats painfully re-enforces that reality:

We were murdered inside and outside. Reality is don't expect to win with three 6'2" or under guys playing at the same time against top FIBA Asia/World teams. I don't care how scrappy or high IQ that 6'2" backcourt is. We'd be fooling ourselves if we stuck with that formula.
              Originally posted by PeeZones
              Kai is a top ten lottery pick come draft day and the best team for him is the spurs...Kai is way more skilled OFFENSIVELY than duncan, yao, aldridge, kp. etc..Kai is way better offensively than Porzingis by a mile...Kareem isnt really way far than Kai..decent bball IQ for both MJ and Kobe but Kai belongs to the highly skilled and high IQ players...I see talent clearly and they cant.

Comment

And these stats painfully re-enforces that reality:

We were murdered inside and outside. Reality is don't expect to win with three 6'2" or under guys playing at the same time against top FIBA Asia/World teams. I don't care how scrappy or high IQ that 6'2" backcourt is. We'd be fooling ourselves if we stuck with that formula.
                Yeah, and that's the reason why we need to shore up our line up with taller backcourt (1, 2 and 3). Well, we are heading in that direction naman with Dwight, Parks, JC, Thirdy, Perez, 1GDL, Oftana, Amsali, Dave, Koon and Tuffin.
                Attack
                defend
                Unite

Comment

• [QUOTE=geohunk;1371827]Sure a starting lineup like this:

C-Aj Edu
                  F- Kobe
                  F-Oftana
                  G-Clarkson
                  G-Thirdy or CJ Perez

That could work well for a few quarters to matchup against say Korea that loves those screens and PnR's, I'll give you that. Maybe good enough sporadically also against say Japan and Chinese Taipei, and of course against SEA teams, LOL! But if we are going up against the taller and heftier West Asian Teams like Iran, Lebanon, Kazakhstan or even just China and Australia, that lineup will get you in trouble down the line if you rely on that depth chart exclusively. Much more trouble if you start a lineup like that if we face off any of the European teams again (Serbia, Croatia, Italy, Lithuannia etc.) or the rest of the world. Can you say "Another 10 to 20 point lead by the end of the first quarter?" Most

Against bigger teams, off course we go will Kai AJ combo in the frontcourt...Di naman matigas ulo nina Dickel and Tab not to adjust...

Comment

At first, i am not that sold with Oftana being a wing but when i watch his games, i was amazed on how he has a good defensive instinct both in the perimeter and in the interior. This instinct is what i am looking for when we say quality and versatile wing.

I also agree with you sir jamskie. I like Oftana's patience in offense.
                    Making an assumption that a certain player is not a good fit for a certain position without watching his games?

Comment

• Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                      Making an assumption that a certain player is not a good fit for a certain position without watching his games?
                      Well, it's normal to be like that. To see is to believe. Haha

What i only saw was his offensive highlights which was not i am looking for. It is his defensive ability - to defend the perimeter.
                      Attack
                      defend
                      Unite

Comment

• Meanwhile SBP doesnt even made move now.

O know Fiba did not announce yet either

But our opponents has already made their moves.

While is, is just relaxing.

Mayvbe overconfident against Thailand????

Thailand scared Korea in their first matchip!?!??

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                          Meanwhile SBP doesnt even made move now.

O know Fiba did not announce yet either

But our opponents has already made their moves.

While is, is just relaxing.

Mayvbe overconfident against Thailand????

Thailand scared Korea in their first matchip!?!??
                          no announcement yet from fiba. prolly thailand will host..

sbp is waiting for iatf and jao approval.. once approve then we can know who are included in the pool for november window..

IATF and JAO are making things difficult..
                          Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, and that's the reason why we need to shore up our line up with taller backcourt (1, 2 and 3). Well, we are heading in that direction naman with Dwight, Parks, JC, Thirdy, Perez, 1GDL, Oftana, Amsali, Dave, Koon and Tuffin.
                            It's also opposing bigs taking 3s, which our bigs are allergic of wanting to step out that far to contest
                            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                            https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

Reyes, Parks and Troy were odd choices by Tab but made sense later on.
                              How was Parks an odd choice? Everyone was forcing Parks and Wright to join the national team back in 2014-2016. They’ve played the better competition during that time. Parks was a mainstay in NBA training camps. Lakers, Jazz, Dallas. Even competing in Summer League and G-League. He also made an impressive debut against Iran. Matthew Wright just finished his NCAA D1 season and was playing in France.

Reyes was an odd choice just cause everyone thought he would no longer be serviceable to the national team. He was inactive with the NT for about 4 years during that time. No one ever thought it should’ve been Abueva over Parks in 2016. Wasnt even close. Carlo Pamintuan stated that he was having a bad performance during training camps cause he had an injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                                Honestly, Tab should pick Troy in 2015 rather than Intal, We could match up w/ China if we had Troy than Intal...
                                Troy was still raw during that time. He was only a 1 month old professional. I agree Troy over Intal but not in terms of match ups but in terms of Troy’s development. During this time Intal was the better player. But Troy would’ve fit the developmental role in 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information