No announcement yet.

Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all intents and purposes hoping for Kobe to play 3 for Gilas is similar to hoping Troy plays 3 for Tnt or Gilas, majority of the time, simply not happening!

And we all know for both players that wish or suggestion has been mentioned by a number of coaches but to no avail
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Kobe is never getting off the bench behind those guys if he wants to exclusively play the 3..

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
        For all intents and purposes hoping for Kobe to play 3 for Gilas is similar to hoping Troy plays 3 for Tnt or Gilas, majority of the time, simply not happening!

And we all know for both players that wish or suggestion has been mentioned by a number of coaches but to no avail
        kobe is a 3. he only needed to play 4 because they need him to protect the paint. he is the most athletic in the group thats why. kobe got good attitude and tab said kobe never complaigned.
        The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• ^^
          The only question relevant in Gilas context is if Kobe will play mainly as a 3 for them , and yes count me in, I will bet my mortgage he will not (mainly)
          Whatever his true position is (if that is a 3) is irrelevant to this discussion and context

You can add as many capable bigs as you want Kai, AJ, Kouame, for as long as the regular players at wing Dwight, Parks, Oftana, Javi, etc etc.are available , Kobe will never get to play majority of his minutes in Gilas as a 3
          Last edited by analyzed; 12-06-2020, 01:17 AM.
          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• Its all matchups anyway at like the level of Tab/Jong. No idea, havent done any research on Korea to know where Kobe fits in the lineup if he even makes it. Same with Indonesia.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
              ^^
              The only question relevant in Gilas context is if Kobe will play mainly as a 3, and yes count me in, I will bet my mortgage he will not (mainly)
              Whatever his true position is (if that is a 3) is irrelevant to this discussion and context

You can add as many capable bigs as you want Kai, AJ, Kouame, for as long as the regular players at wing Dwight, Parks, Oftana, Javi, etc etc.are available , Kobe will never get to play majority of his minutes in Gilas as a 3
              i agree he wont play as 3 exclusively. i think tab is just checking how kobe play as 4.
              The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
                Its all matchups anyway at like the level of Tab/Jong. No idea, havent done any research on Korea to know where Kobe fits in the lineup if he even makes it. Same with Indonesia.
                I think the goal is to get out of the 1st round of Fiba worlds 2023 and maybe 2nd round. To do that we should be able to match up well with our opponents. Kouame would be a big difference maker at C and probably PF. Edu seems too brittle. But Kai would be there at C or possibly June Mar. Japeth can hopefully still slide to PF.

But it seems Tab is hinting we need options at a big wing position. He tried that with Troy, with not so good results. But given the chance he will train our young mobile bigs to be able to play that position competently. That probably includes Kobe, Balti, Will, Tamayo.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                  i think tab is just checking how kobe play as 4.
                  And perhaps Tab was also testing how much willing Kobe is to play the 4. So somehow it was also a test of Kobe's attitude. How willing he is to make some sacrifice for the good of the team.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• I've heard SBP will tap Ken Tuffin (as well as James Spencer & Dalph Panopio) for the 3rd window pool. This will further deepen our pool of talents at the 3 spot - Dwight, Javi, Oftana, Tuffin & pros Parks & Wright.
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• I never envisioned Kobe to play the perimeter. Kobe played up front (4 & 5) for La Salle Greenhills several years ago in HS. They were clobbered by Arvin Tolentino, Javee Mocon and the Red Cubs.

Fast forward today. He has never shown that he could be a playmaking 3 and be some sort of secondary ball handler. His outside shots are inconsistent. All those years after La Salle Greenhills; in the US HS, Creighton, CalNorthridge and now UP. Paras has not shown to be an effective offensive perimeter player.

Be that as it may should just retool himself as a modern day Marc Pingris or Kelly Williams. Tall, athletic and energy guy. A role player willing to do the dirty and hustle plays.

Kung ipipilit pa rin ng mga fanboys nya na mag 3 sya on the international stage ay baka magkalat lang.

Comment

• To simplify here is a ''general' role classification.. Of course there are exceptions

Bigs - Kai, AJ, Kouame

Swing combo forwards (4/3) - Troy, Kobe, Tamayo, (Baltazar maybe)

Wings 2/3 - Dwight, Parks, Thirdy, Javi, Dave etc etc

Before people accuse me of generalising, I agree of course they're exceptions and unique different players

Comment

• Adding more bigs (Kouame, Kai), won't change Kobe's role of playing 4, not unless the regular wings Dwight, Oftana, Thirdy, Parks, Javi all disappear.
                          There is no normal scenario where Gilas coaches will use Kobe more as a 3 than as a 4, none!
                          Last edited by analyzed; 12-06-2020, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                            It was more of the circumstances that forced Tab's hands to use kobe at 4 mostly, not by designand. Had kouame made it, it would've already been 4 rotating at 5 and 4 and kouame would've been played extensively. But as it turned, it was a lineup heavily loaded with guards and wings with only go, baltazar and Carino as their bigs. And all 3 were humiliated by jakrawan who's not even strong, but skilled. I think thats also when tab realised that baltazar can only be a small ball 4. If he doesn't develop the necessary skills for that, i don't see him making it to the world cup
                            So you think that had Kouame been there (meaning he got naturalized in time for the 2nd window), Tab or coach Jong would have played Kobe more as a 3?

I don't see that happening. My take is, if this cadet pool have players like RDO & Perkins (a 2-inch taller version of Perkins), I don't think Kobe would make it in the final-12 man roster of every game. Maybe in the 6 window games Kobe gets to play 1 or at best 2 games with token playing time.

Masakit mang sabihin but that's how I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
                              I think the goal is to get out of the 1st round of Fiba worlds 2023 and maybe 2nd round. To do that we should be able to match up well with our opponents. Kouame would be a big difference maker at C and probably PF. Edu seems too brittle. But Kai would be there at C or possibly June Mar. Japeth can hopefully still slide to PF.

But it seems Tab is hinting we need options at a big wing position. He tried that with Troy, with not so good results. But given the chance he will train our young mobile bigs to be able to play that position competently. That probably includes Kobe, Balti, Will, Tamayo.
                              Baltazar and Tamayo are big enough to be traditional 4s in the FIBA context. However, training to be a wing would be a boon to the team's versatility. Better spacing. Sana magsipag ang dalawa, especially Tamayo, given that he'll have to rely on his own work ethic because he's coached by Perasol.

Hope this can be a start for our bigs to be trained like Draymond Green. Hope it succeeds for them. We'll need our 5s playing this way to become playable internationally.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                                Fanboys? Ganyan ba tlga dapt kababang uri ang level ng discussion? Etong mga fanboys na to, well aware na maliit tayo sa 3 lalo kng si Clarkson na nga ang lalarong naturalized. Baka nmn yan ang dahilan kng bkt 3 dapat yung kobe sana. Kayo rn nmn ipinipilit nyo sa 4 e kita na ngang nagkakalat na dun. Are we that dumb? Is it still not obvious that he's not the player you envision him to be for your small ball obsession? He's definitely not that and if we think he won't cut as a 3, then let's just move on from kobe and look elsewhere. Maybe Tamayo is that twinner you are looking for, maybe Quiambao.
                                Relax bro.

The idea here is to put Kobe in the position or role that suits him best. I think Tab & the coaching staff think/believe that Kobe being a 4 is workable/feasible. May silbi pa rin si Kobe sa Gilas cadet pool.

But that version of Kobe is not what most of us fans envision or have envisioned him to be.

Kahit ako bro, how much I wanted Kobe to play as a 3. But seeing the limited progress he has (if there's any) in the last 3 years, in particular his handles & shooting, I have somewhat conceded that Kobe fits better as a 4 than as a 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information