No announcement yet.

Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Gilas needs an upgrade in the 1 and 3 position to be competitive against world class national basketball team. In the 2 position we have Dwight Ramos who could play 28-30 minutes per game. In the 4 position, we’ll have hopefully injury-free AJ Edu and Justine Baltazar. In the 5 position, we have Kai and Kouame.

Jordan Clarkson 6’4
    -can play 1 up to 3 position
    -still not FIBA eligible as local pinoy

Bobby Ray Parks 6’3
    -can play as a playmaker
    -good size for a playmaker

Dalph Panopio 6’1
    -good playmaker
    -pass first point guard
    -Hector Calma-type of player

Jayden Harper 6’7
    -too young for now for the senior squad(only 16)
    -Philippine passport is on process as per Tumakbo United basketball
    -a big wing player(can either play the 3 or 4 position)

Caelum Harris 6’7
    -Philippine passport holder before 16 years of age

Mason Amos 6’7
    -Philippine passport holder before 16 years of age

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      Good point.

My stand has been, the more training & exposure Gilas pool gets, the less relevant Mike Nieto, Isaac Go & maybe SJ Belangel would become.

Go, Mike Nieto & Belangel's value to the squad is mainly becoz of their familiarity with coach Tab's system. But as the non-Ateneo players of Gilas gets more & more used to playing under Tab's system, Go, Mike & Belangel's value will start to diminish.
      I agree. Nieto's value is he knows the system and does his role well to the limit of his abilities. Kouame and Kai are still learning to play together. Balti is still learning to play the 3. Will the 2. How will they learn to play their new roles if nobody on the court knows it? Dwight probably knows it but is not comfortable enough to be vocal.

Nieto ironically has played in the highest levels of the youth game. He has defeated China IRC. He did that as a center but he knows the attitude and mentality to win games as an underdog. Plus he has successfully transitioned to an SF. Until Balti or Carl master Tabs SF position or at least be competitive in it. You will see Mike.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
        If you're referring to the world u17, they didn't play china. I don't know if they managed to win a game but mike did score well against Egypt and UAE.

https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u1...l-Joseph-Nieto
        Months after its senior counterpart’s heroic stand at FIBA-Asia, the Philippines’ youth squad did the same early Friday.

The Philippines stunned Chinese Taipei, 77-72, at Azadi Sports Complex in Iran, Tehran to reach the finals of the Fiba-Asia Under 16 Championships against China, which had beaten Japan, according to FIBA Live Stats (http://t.co/kjLalqNUtY ).

And like the Spain-bound Smart Gilas Pilipinas for the Basketball World Cup, the youth team also qualified for the FIBA U17 Worlds in Dubai in 2014.

Ahead of the finals, the country is already assured of its best finish in the biennial tournament after being denied the bronze medal in the 2011 edition.

Jose Lorenzo Mendoza led the Filipinos’ valiant come-from-behind effort as they wiped off a 64-70 deficit midway the payoff period and took over in the clutch. He had 28 points and five rebounds.

Mike Nieto chipped in 17 points and 14 rebounds, while his brother Matthew Nieto added 11 points for the Philippines, which exacted revenge for its lone loss in the preliminary round.

Already assured of a world tilt, the Philippine National youth team went down fighting in a 78-85 loss to heavyweight China in the finals of the FIBA Asia Under 16 Championship early Saturday (Manila time) at the Azadi Sports Complex in Tehran, Iran.

Ateneo Blue Eaglets Jolo Mendoza and Mike Nieto led the Philippines’ gallant stand with 20 and 13 points, respectively as the young Nationals settled for the silver medal for their best finish ever in the biennial meet.

Comment

• Honestly Nieto last window was meh, but this window he wasn’t so bad and deserves his spot, definitely did the little things that don’t show up on a boxscore.

I thought Lopez deserves a spot as well with what he’s shown but it’s a tough call

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post

Honestly Nieto last window was meh, but this window he wasn’t so bad and deserves his spot, definitely did the little things that don’t show up on a boxscore.

I thought Lopez deserves a spot as well with what he’s shown but it’s a tough call
            nope it wasnt a tough call. nieto over lopez for now. nieto contains valuable iq of the plays that tab wants to implement.
            The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Whether we like it or not mike nieto is tge perfect 12th guy
              To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
              1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                If you're referring to the world u17, they didn't play china. I don't know if they managed to win a game but mike did score well against Egypt and UAE.

https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u1...l-Joseph-Nieto
                Already assured of a world tilt, the Philippine National youth team went down fighting in a 78-85 loss to heavyweight China in the finals of the FIBA Asia Under 16 Championship early Saturday (Manila time) at the Azadi Sports Complex in Tehran, Iran.

My bad. They lost to China in the gold medal game of U16 Asia. But they already qualified for the U17 World by reaching the gold medal stage. They didn't win a game in the worlds unfortunately. This was a good team but personally this team was not a development team for me. They were all undersized and I think had a player who was just there because he was the son of somebody. It was Belangel's team that defeated China. It had taller guys who were stars in HS.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                  Whether we like it or not mike nieto is tge perfect 12th guy
                  people need to remember we dont need to rush lopez and he is not part of the 2023 projection. he is for the beyond 2023. there will be many more gilas participation for him.
                  The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
                    https://sports.inquirer.net/122685/p...comment-page-2

My bad. They lost to China in the gold medal game of U16 Asia. But they already qualified for the U17 World by reaching the gold medal stage. They didn't win a game in the worlds unfortunately. This was a good team but personally this team was not a development team for me. They were all undersized and I think had a player who was just there because he was the son of somebody. It was Belangel's team that defeated China. It had taller guys who were stars in HS.
                    Huwag mo amn sabihin si Panlilio yun..

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                      people need to remember we dont need to rush lopez and he is not part of the 2023 projection. he is for the beyond 2023. there will be many more gilas participation for him.

Lopez can still be part of the SEA GAMES,team and if Tab sees more improvement he'll take him to the Asian Games.

Comment

• I think the biggest asset of Navarro, Go, Mike Nieto is their ability to read the game well as well as their willingness to hustle esp Navarro and Mike Nieto

Comment

• With Kai, Kouame, Go, Geo the team has plenty of size so guys like Balti or Tamayo can play the wings along with Navarro, Ramos so Lopez’s position is already kinda stacked. I would have liked him for the team because of his potential as experience but at the same time they are trying to win so Nieto makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonifacio View Post
                            The real key ingredient here is training and preparation....with majority of the players from Ateneo, the number of years together training and preparing under the same coach have been the key to their success. Talent comes second to it.
                            This is actually true , and it is the reason why these Ateneo players - Mike, Go, Navarro, Geo while are NOT as talented as other prospect are actually critical to the success of this program and team. they are the glue guys and were instrumental in getting the rest of the team up to speed with the system and cohesive.

The 4 above in bold are not really 2023 material so to speak the talent core of this team are:

Center - Kouame and Kai
                            Forward- Baltizar and Tamayo
                            Wings- Dwight and Heading
                            PGs- SJ and RJ

having said that there is a reason why the 4 are in this pool that is proving to be significantly valuable.

Comment

• Good news for Chinese Taipei....
                              https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...UG5ncNMN5EEIjw

Comment

• Originally posted by elleroch View Post
                                Ginawa tayong exampe in Greg Slaughter case, kaya importante talaga yun silent treatment at huwag maingay

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information