No announcement yet.

Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I somewhat envy Kazakhstan height on their team.They have at least three guys who are below 6'2 (1.88 m) and the rest are 6'4 (1.92 m) and above. I hope we could have a composition of such tall, young talents.I think,the problem of Kazakhstan is that their top players are very inconsistent and their bigs are sadly not big enough to dominate other Asian teams. Their team is also at their 30's and they desperately need new young players to replace the old ones, most of their players can show flashes of brilliance but can't really held consistency on the whole duration of the ball game like for example 6'5 G/F Maxim Marchuk another intriguing player is 6'7 forward, Anatoliy Kolesnikov. Marchuk is interestting because of his height and apparently his athleticism, but he has never been consistent on any of his games and Kolesnikov who would have been good enough in the small forward position if he had the handles.Although Kobe has far more better handles(but he needs to improve some more) than Kolesnikov, but if Kobe can be as quick and move without the ball like Maxim Marchuk, and shoot the three like Palestine's Sani Sakakini, then he will be more than a serviceable small forward. Going back to the Kazakhstan topic, they never really have the type of post players other teams have, but if they have 1 or 2 young seven footers (playing alongside Zhigulin,Clemmons and Panomarev of course) that are good and skilled enough to go toe to toe against the Iranians and the Chinese, I think Kazakhstan will be a totally different team.
    Last edited by Alex07; 08-05-2020, 04:39 AM.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
      Yeah... I think even his teammate Pricepal Singh of India will play there also.. If Singh will play in November, then why not Kai? right? That is for him also for development and readiness before playing in G-League.. Playing November qualifiers is 100 times better than playing lousy pick up games...
      Right. Especially looks like G league select will start January.

The only one thing can stop it is quarantine protocol

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
        I somewhat envy Kazakhstan height on their team.They have at least three guys who are below 6'2 (1.88 m) and the rest are 6'4 (1.92 m) and above. I hope we could have a composition of such tall, young talents.I think,the problem of Kazakhstan is that their top players are very inconsistent and their bigs are sadly not big enough to dominate other Asian teams. Their team is also at their 30's and they desperately need new young players to replace the old ones, most of their players can show flashes of brilliance but can't really held consistency on the whole duration of the ball game like for example 6'5 G/F Maxim Marchuk another intriguing player is 6'7 forward, Anatoliy Kolesnikov. Marchuk is interestting because of his height and apparently his athleticism, but he has never been consistent on any of his games and Kolesnikov who would have been good enough in the small forward position if he had the handles.Although Kobe has far more better handles(but he needs to improve some more) than Kolesnikov, but if Kobe can be as quick and move without the ball like Maxim Marchuk, and shoot the three like Palestine's Sani Sakakini, then he will be more than a serviceable small forward. Going back to the Kazakhstan topic, they never really have the type of post players other teams have, but if they have 1 or 2 young seven footers (playing alongside Zhigulin,Clemmons and Panomarev of course) that are good and skilled enough to go toe to toe against the Iranians and the Chinese, I think Kazakhstan will be a totally different team.
        Their problem has always been about funding. Basketball is not as popular in Kazakhstan as it is here or Japan's, hence, their professional league doesn't get much revenue. Notice how their NT is composed of players from the same professional team: BC Astana.

On the flip side, they are doing well in other Olympic events such as boxing and athletics. They already have numerous Olympic gold medals and are consistently ranked in the top ten at the Asian Games. Unlike us who has yet to win an Olympic gold and has not cracked the Asian Games top ten medal tally in decades.
        GILAS WISHLIST:
        6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
          Their problem has always been about funding. Basketball is not as popular in Kazakhstan as it is here or Japan's, hence, their professional league doesn't get much revenue. Notice how their NT is composed of players from the same professional team: BC Astana.

On the flip side, they are doing well in other Olympic events such as boxing and athletics. They already have numerous Olympic gold medals and are consistently ranked in the top ten at the Asian Games. Unlike us who has yet to win an Olympic gold and has not cracked the Asian Games top ten medal tally in decades.
          They should have done better in basketball. Their fellow former contemporaries at soviet union have been playing good basketball (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Russia, Georgia). Kazakhstan is the only former soviet republic i know that sucks or mediocre at best in basketball.
          Attack
          defend
          Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
            When will Wright become a free agent? What will be his age if he will be in free agency? I think he is better in a team that has some superstars already.. so that he can go back to his pure role as a shooter.. Or i hope Phoenix will get back Abueva.. so that Wright will not have a double duty in his game.. Abueva can make what Wright can do as playmaker..
            I have no idea about Wright's contract with Phoenix. I think wright is already on his late 20's so his stint with the national team wouldn't be that long. Besides, he has hardly made impact in his recent stint with Gilas (he did well in the recent SEA Games, but who cares about low level competition like SEA Games basketball?). While Wright may be our best shooter next to Marcio Lassiter (see how limited our choices are when it comes to shooters), I'm more interested of our younger potential shooters in the amateur ranks like Allain Bulanadi & perhaps Dwight Ramos. That is why I find it more logical to elevate these young players in the Gilas senior team & gave them FIBA game experience rather than pinning our hopes on aging shooters like Lassiter, Wright or Pogoy.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
              If Kai and Aj are not available. It is a must that we have Naturalize Kouame.

Our Bigs could Double him. Let other indonesians Beat you(They are not that good anyway like we saw in Sea Games)
              Bro, you must not have watched the Gilas vs. Indonesia game in the recent SEA Games for you to make such comment. Perhaps you also didn't watch the Gilas-Indonesia game in the 1st window of the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup last february. The Indons were hitting those 3's in that SEA Game match vs. Gilas, & that was an Indonesia team without a good quality big men. Meaning those Indon shooters will have more room to shoot if they will have Prosper at the middle becoz as you've said, we will double-team Prosper in the shaded lane. Basic basketball teaches us that having a good big man as a threat in the middle would open up the shooters.

In the Gilas-Indonesia game last february, we may have beaten the Indons by 30 pts., but the final score wasn't indicative of how close the game was for the first 3 quarters. Lumayo lang tayo sa Indonesia at the start of the 4th quarter. And again was an indonesian team w/o quality big men to serve as a threat in the shaded lane. I say Prosper would bring a different dimension to the Indon team. Well, I hope I'm wrong.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                They should have done better in basketball. Their fellow former contemporaries at soviet union have been playing good basketball (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Russia, Georgia). Kazakhstan is the only former soviet republic i know that sucks or mediocre at best in basketball.
                Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, and Azerbaijan were also former Soviet republics but none have achieved any basketball success. If anything, Kazahstan is actually the most successful central Asian team with a bronze medal finish in the 2002 AG.
                GILAS WISHLIST:
                6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                  Bro, you must not have watched the Gilas vs. Indonesia game in the recent SEA Games for you to make such comment. Perhaps you also didn't watch the Gilas-Indonesia game in the 1st window of the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup last february. The Indons were hitting those 3's in that SEA Game match vs. Gilas, & that was an Indonesia team without a good quality big men. Meaning those Indon shooters will have more room to shoot if they will have Prosper at the middle becoz as you've said, we will double-team Prosper in the shaded lane. Basic basketball teaches us that having a good big man as a threat in the middle would open up the shooters.

In the Gilas-Indonesia game last february, we may have beaten the Indons by 30 pts., but the final score wasn't indicative of how close the game was for the first 3 quarters. Lumayo lang tayo sa Indonesia at the start of the 4th quarter. And again was an indonesian team w/o quality big men to serve as a threat in the shaded lane. I say Prosper would bring a different dimension to the Indon team. Well, I hope I'm wrong.
                  Yup. Indonesia will have Grahita and Prastawa go berserk from distance if Gilas have to double team someone inside. Add Jawato who's motor can rival that of Abueva then we have might face a good challenge if we don't have a solid roster.

Comment

And speaking of BC Astana making up the core of the Kazakhstan NT, BC Astana competes in the VTB league which is made up of the top pro teams from Russia, Poland, Belarus, Estonia. Which means that kazakhstan national players are well exposed to very high level competition. Yet, except for that bronze medal finish in the 2002 Asian games basketball, Kazakhstan has hardly made any impact in Asian basketball, specially lately (say in the last 10 years).

Comment

• Originally posted by allmight View Post
                      Yup. Indonesia will have Grahita and Prastawa go berserk from distance if Gilas have to double team someone inside. Add Jawato who's motor can rival that of Abueva then we have might face a good challenge if we don't have a solid roster.
                      And if we don't prepare well. This pandemic which is getting even worse each passing day stalls Gilas' preparation. SBP needs to be creative & innovative & they better get their acts ASAP.

Comment

Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, and Azerbaijan were also former Soviet republics but none have achieved any basketball success. If anything, Kazahstan is actually the most successful central Asian team with a bronze medal finish in the 2002 AG.
                        But Kazakhstan is the only really active basketball nt from Central Asia. Have you ever notice why Kazakhstan is the only representative of Central Asia almost two decades except 2009 wheb Uzbekistan joined and qualified?

That's noticeable just look at the other Asian regions (Gulf, West Asia, South Asia, East Asia and SEA and add Oceania).

I mean Kazakhstan has a lot of potential to be a better team in Asia. They have the tools to achieve success (size, exposure). But right now, they are basically a European looking team only by looks not by play.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

And if we don't prepare well. This pandemic which is getting even worse each passing day stalls Gilas' preparation. SBP needs to be creative & innovative & they better get their acts ASAP.
                          Well, the coaching staff, especially Tab who is our project director, knows how to beat teams with dominant bigs (2011 Iran, 2011 Philippines, 2015 Iran). Prosper is nowhere near the dominance of Douthit and Haddadi but teams under Tab managed to beat them.

Besides, majority of our players just got their debut in that Indonesia game. They will learn faster. The only roadblock for us is this pandemic.
                          Attack
                          defend
                          Unite

Comment

And speaking of BC Astana making up the core of the Kazakhstan NT, BC Astana competes in the VTB league which is made up of the top pro teams from Russia, Poland, Belarus, Estonia. Which means that kazakhstan national players are well exposed to very high level competition. Yet, except for that bronze medal finish in the 2002 Asian games basketball, Kazakhstan has hardly made any impact in Asian basketball, specially lately (say in the last 10 years).
                            I think our players should consider applying as an import for BC Astana lol.

Heard Kazakh girls are pretty cute too.
                            GILAS WISHLIST:
                            6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                              Well, the coaching staff, especially Tab who is our project director, knows how to beat teams with dominant bigs (2011 Iran, 2011 Philippines, 2015 Iran). Prosper is nowhere near the dominance of Douthit and Haddadi but teams under Tab managed to beat them.

Besides, majority of our players just got their debut in that Indonesia game. They will learn faster. The only roadblock for us is this pandemic.
                              Yes, but the Gilas players that coach Tab had in 2015 were pros who were at the peak of their careers - castro, romeo, RDO, Norwood, abueva, and they had Blatche as the naturalized player. Of course, that team had about 2 months of "full time" training.

This current team/pool that we have is a mix of amateurs & pros; and this wud not even include some of the best pros that we have like Junmar, Lassiter, Castro, Norwood. Of course we don't even know who our naturalized player wud be. Hope Standhardinger wud be allowed by Northport to play for Gilas.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about Indonesia than Thailand
                              Last edited by JAMSKIE; 08-05-2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I have no idea about Wright's contract with Phoenix. I think wright is already on his late 20's so his stint with the national team wouldn't be that long. Besides, he has hardly made impact in his recent stint with Gilas (he did well in the recent SEA Games, but who cares about low level competition like SEA Games basketball?). While Wright may be our best shooter next to Marcio Lassiter (see how limited our choices are when it comes to shooters), I'm more interested of our younger potential shooters in the amateur ranks like Allain Bulanadi & perhaps Dwight Ramos. That is why I find it more logical to elevate these young players in the Gilas senior team & gave them FIBA game experience rather than pinning our hopes on aging shooters like Lassiter, Wright or Pogoy.
                                He can be a FA after the 7th year in the league, he entered in 2016 plus 7 so thats 2023...He was a member of 2008 U 18 team, so that makes him around 30 yo today plus 3 years, 33 yes old once he become a FRee agent..

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information