Page 717 of 855 FirstFirst ... 217617667707715716717718719727767817 ... LastLast
Results 14,321 to 14,340 of 17098

Thread: Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Just for the sake of discussion, why on earth Tonga is not calling up Mo Tautua'a to play for their 5x5 national team? Eligibility for 3x3 and 5x5 are different which makes him eligible to play 5x5 for Tonga. Sayang since he is a 6'6 bigman that is comparatively skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    If JC will play for Gilas in 2023, I think BRP jr, Wright, Pogoy and Perez will not be needed especially if the team will still have Ramos, Javi and Heading. Veteran playmaker Kiefer Ravena for me is the only one worth consideration for the 2023 World Cup Gilas lineup..
    If JC joins Gilas, how long do we expect him to practice with the team? If it's like in the Asian games before, we'll just give him the ball and let him do his thing? We know why he's the top 6th man in the NBA and it's not because Utah has a Donovan Mitchell
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

Here's my take about this debate whether or not PBA players reinforce the Gilas cadets in the 2023 FIBA World Cup:

Coach Tab & SBP must talk with PBA people about how much committed the PBA is with the National team. Coach Tab should ask the PBA whether the PBA players chosen to reinforce Gilas can train with Gilas for at least 1 & a half months per year leading to the 2023 FIBA World Cup. I say coach Tab takes only 3 or 4 PBA players as reinforcements. Taking 6 or more PBA players would just cause more disruption to the Gilas scheme of things. So let's say Tab chooses Kiefer, Perez, Wright & Pogoy, these players must get to commit to train with Gilas at least 1 & a half months per year which means that prior to 2023 FIBA WC, these PBA reinforcements will have a total of at least 4 months of training with Gilas. I think that is enough time for these PBA players to assimilate with the system & build cohesion.

Now if the PBA says like, "We will lend our players to Gilas 2 weeks before the 2023 World Cup", then coach Tab should tell them to forget it. This isn't being "demanding", its what every national team coach should be doing. Dapat lang talaga na ganoon yung policy ni coach Tab.
    Last edited by JAMSKIE; 06-14-2021 at 04:51 AM.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Just for the sake of discussion, why on earth Tonga is not calling up Mo Tautua'a to play for their 5x5 national team? Eligibility for 3x3 and 5x5 are different which makes him eligible to play 5x5 for Tonga. Sayang since he is a 6'6 bigman that is comparatively skilled.
    Perhaps it's also the same reason why Asi and Mo are playing in the PBA and not in Tonga
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Here's my take about this debate whether or not PBA players reinforce the Gilas cadets in the 2023 FIBA World Cup:

Coach Tab & SBP must talk with PBA people about how much committed the PBA is with the National team. Coach Tab should ask the PBA whether the PBA players chosen to reinforce Gilas can train with Gilas for at least 1 & a half months per year leading to the 2023 FIBA World Cup. I say coach Tab takes only 3 or 4 PBA players as reinforcements. Taking 6 or more PBA players would just cause more disruption to the Gilas scheme of things. So let's say Tab chooses Kiefer, Perez, Wright & Pogoy, these players must get to commit
    If we're really talking reinforcement, that should be just around 2-4. 6 will make it a hybrid, I think. I say 3 from the PBA would mean you at least have 7 from the mainstays, then Kai (if he's not counted as one, and then depends on who we'll have for the naturalized spot. If it's kouame, then we have 8 mainstays. Hopefully kouame will soon be eligible as a local so we could fill up that 3 spot with a naturalized

iF Kouame doesn't shape up to be the NP we hope him to be, and he can't play as a local either, then JC takes the NP spot and suddenly, Junmar will be more essential than we think of him now. That's why he should still be invited for some tournaments once he's healthy
    ― H.L. Mencken

BIGS: Kai, Kouame, Isaac(or Geo)
    Forwards: Dwight, Baltazar, Tamayo, Will,Lopez
    Guards: RJ, SJ, Heading, Javi

Bigs and Forwards are proper size compared to Korea and Indonesia.

Guards is undersize but they can compensate it with speed and shooting.

We ask the question why does the PBA wants to reinforce the Gilas cadets?

PBA people would say "We are committed to help the national team in any shape or form" or "We're doing this para sa bayan". Para sa bayan my ass!

I say PBA is doing this simply to ride on with the Gilas bandwagon. U bet lalaki ang mga tenga ni Willy Marcial & Al Chua upon hearing a FIBA tv commentator covering a Gilas game saying like, " CJ Perez, he plays for the San Miguel Beermen in the PBA. The PBA of course is the first professional basketball league in Asia."

Now imagine if there's no PBA players in the Gilas team that would play in tge 2023 World Cup (though Matt Nieto, Go, Navarro, Suerte, are de facto PBA players). We will hear FIBA tv panelist saying like, "This Gilas team is compose mostly of amateur players with only Clarkson, Kai Sotto & Thirdy Ravena being the pros & there is no PBA player in this squad"

Hindi bat parang sampal yan sa PBA?
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

PBA people would say "We are committed to help the national team in any shape or form" or "We're doing this para sa bayan". Para sa bayan my ass!

I say PBA is doing this simply to ride on with the Gilas bandwagon. U bet lalaki ang mga tenga ni Willy Marcial & Al Chua upon hearing a FIBA tv commentator covering a Gilas game saying like, " CJ Perez, he plays for the San Miguel Beermen in the PBA. The PBA of course is the first professional basketball league in Asia."

Now imagine if there's no PBA players in the Gilas team that would play in tge 2023 World Cup (though Matt Nieto, Go, Navarro, Suerte, are de facto PBA players). We will hear FIBA tv panelist saying like, "This Gilas team is compose mostly of amateur players with only Clarkson, Kai Sotto & Thirdy Ravena being the pros & there is no PBA player in this squad"

In short, Pba want to share the spotlight of Gilas in Fiba.

Especially in 2023, I repeatedly say, Pba players will likely to join that. Because ititigil pba at lahat ng baskeball leagues sa pinas for the Fiba World Cup.

And yeah, It is a slap on their face if Gilas National Team in World Cup is composed of Non Pba Players.

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    If you meant to say train for a full month straight, that might not happen. But including them in 2-3 tournaments scattered throughout the year, that's not hard to do. If Perez wasn't sure excluded from this pool, he would've completed around a couple of months with the team already. But perhaps that's not the intention. I still remember the dalph panopio "incident" where joined late. The scrimmages against the qataris could've been used to help him catch up but he was used sparingly there. Turns out that they intended him to play third string only. And we know how bad the kids that were put over him played.
    Well, I'm thinking of the PBA reinforcements training with Gilas during the PBA off-season. Kaya nga I strongly advocate on reducing the PBA season from 10 months to only 8 & a half months nalang eh so that some PBA players can train with Gilas during the off season.

Eh kasi naman yung PBA eh, amid this pandemic it seems it wants to revert everything to normal. Parang gusto pang ipagpilitan pa rin yung 10-month PBA season.

In these trying times naman, PBA should minimize its GREED!

I've hated what the PBA is right now that I have not been watching for like 3 years now. But I don't care about who gets the credit, deservingly or otherwise, I just want the best lineup we can possibly field in. And say you put 3 from the PBA there, say, Perez or bollick or Barbie ray, junmar and Oftana, they'll be playing roles there and your main man will still be JC, Kai, aj and maybe Ramos.
    ― H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Lol he and jabari parker would made a difference lol

If we count the pba participation in wc qualifier mga 2 moths na yun if we total it, talaga lang na we dont know how to prioritize na tournament na sasalihan for a year nun 2019 may sea games break pa..ang ondotioning imo should just be done by pba teams unless we allow our guys to give 2 week rest before a sophisticated 1 month camp..I still believe na dj lang physical ang labanan kundi utak yun tawagan sa fiba should be applied to pba para konti na adjustment period..

Look ar Guam nag training camp pa sa us pero tignan mo fter ng bakasyon ayun nalimutan yun mga natutunan sa training at mukhang nangangapa, kumpara sa Iran na late last month lang nagsimula ng training camp approx 2 months before olympics sila
    Last edited by reamily; 06-14-2021 at 06:28 AM.
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Add Ravena bros and maybe Oftana , Kobe etc to the currebt 15 man pool, and your done, that's a complete pool already.

Assuming Clarkson, AJ and maybe Dalph are in it. (21 man pool)
    Adding more is really unnecessary and excessive which is counter productive

If having many options in the pool is counterproductive, then start filtering out those with low ceilings instead. Start with Mike Nieto.
    ― H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    And yeah, It is a slap on their face if Gilas National Team in World Cup is composed of Non Pba Players.
    Which is exactly what I want to happen if only to teach the arrogant & greedy PBA a lesson. I want PBA to be left out of the limelight to make them realize of their foolishness.

Now, imagine if you are a Kiefer Ravena or a CJ Perez or a Junmar Fajardo or a Matt Wright, you get to see Kai Sotto, Thirdy, Dwight Ramos, Matt Nieto, Javi & Juan GDL playing alongside a Jordan Clarkson in the World Cup for all the whole world to see, would you not be envious that those amateurs are in the limelight while here you are being relegated to just a mere spectator? Then you ask yourself, "Bakit nga ba nasa limelight sina Kai, Thirdy, Ramos, samantalang ako eh wala, samantalang mas nauna yata akong sumikat sa mga players na yun? Then you realize, this must be someone else' culprit.

And the culprit is non other than the PBA.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Add Ravena bros and maybe Oftana , Kobe etc to the currebt 15 man pool, and your done, that's a complete pool already.

Assuming Clarkson, AJ and maybe Dalph are in it. (21 man pool)
    Adding more is really unnecessary and excessive which is counter productive
    But still having guys like Francis Lopez, RJ Abarrientos, SJ Belangel, Geo Chiu, Dave Ildefonso in the pool (& some other younger players out there like Abando, Nonoy, ) would be relevant so as to prepare those guys for the next iteration of the Gilas program. As what coach Tab said in an interview, they are also looking beyond 2023. So you got the idea that Gilas cadet program is being envisioned to go beyond 2023. I think when coach Tab enlisted guys like Lopez, Geo Chiu, RJ, SJ, Dave I, he isn't really thinking of having these guys in his 2023 FIBA World Cup squad. I think Tab wants to prepare these young guns beyond 2023.

is this the same reason why Gilas 1 had PBA hugots like Alapag, RDO, Taulava and Kelly Williams? and also the reason why Eala was let go??
    #GoUSTe, #AnimoLaSalle #PadayonUP

Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    is this the same reason why Gilas 1 had PBA hugots like Alapag, RDO, Taulava and Kelly Williams? and also the reason why Eala was let go??
    Gilas-1 really needed PBA reinforcements as it lacked talent & size in key positions. Imagine you got a 6-3 Baracael at 4, a barely 6-3 Lutz & barely 6-2 Lassiter at at 3 spot, a 5-11 shooting guard in Chris Tiu & of course not good size PG's in Casio & Barroca. That is why reinforcements RDO, Kelly Williams, Asi Taulava & Jimmy Alapag were significant additions to the team.

I think the current iteration of Gilas cadet won't be needing PBA reinforcements by 2023 as much as Gilas-1 needed PBA reinforcements in 2011. This current Gilas pool has the size & talent.

Saudi Arabia leads Iran, 26-25

I expect Iran to win by at least 15 pts.

Page 717 of 855 FirstFirst ... 217617667707715716717718719727767817 ... LastLast