No announcement yet.

Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiefer lost a lot of shine due to the suspension/other scandals but to project that he will be awful for 2023 is just wishing bad things for our prospects.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      Agree bro. I think Kiefer is just too stocky for his own good. I prefer a leaner Kiefer, perhaps a Kiefer 3 years ago, than the Kiefer in the recent PBA bubble. As I've said before, if you're a 5-foot-10 with the biceps as broad as that of an Asi Taulava, then there must be something wrong.
      Yeah, he looks like a tank now. Why PBA point guards and their handlers don't follow standard basketball height-to-weight proportion is really head-scratching for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
        I look at nfl and rugby players and they are big guys but quick and fast. I think it’s a balance of finding optimal weight without losing speed but I think it’s harder since basketball is an endurance sport. Most guys tend to rely on natural athleticism rather than say nfl where a lot of guys have to train before a combine to get more athletic
        Well in football they tend to shuffle players and players can just focus on their specific roles ie defense, offense or in special teams. Linemen are expected to just block and hold their ground, linebackers to run and tackle etc so their ideal built is dependent on their position. In basketball everyone is expected to do well in both sides of the court for the whole game. Losing speed in favor of strength can affect not just the offense.. for me basketball players should really work in their bodies because being out of shape hurts their team

Comment

Ok, lets say Kiefer isn't really locked at the point guard spot for the 3rd window. That Kiefer still needs to earn the approval of Gilas coach to make it to the final 12-man roster. But for you to say that Kiefer is nowhere near the level of Tenorio, Romeo & Pogoy is absolutely absurd. I really can't help but shake my head in disbelief. Honestly bro, you really strike me as someone who is marginalizing Kiefer's basketball skills.

You talk as if Kiefer is a marginal point guard in the PBA.

Tenor5io is a very good point guard but he's an undersized point guard in FIBA basketball. Romeo is a very good scorer but as far as point guard skills & smarts are concerned, I don't think he's by any means better than Kiefer.

And you mentioned Pogoy, that Kiefer is not anywhere near Pogoy's level. Its as if Pogoy himself did not struggle in the 2019 FIBA World Cup. I think lots of posters here were/are turned off with Pogoy's performance in the qualifiers & the World Cup tournament proper.
          Ok Pogoy may be off, but still i dare say, kiefer is not a lock-in level player for now. No one other view than that. Accusations of maginalizing is way off. As to kief, if up trying out, he is the guy chosen then be it. Basta not locked-in level right now. He is not that guy at present.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
            If Parks will commit then he can take Kiefer's slot.. But only if? Panopio while he's in US.. I don't know if he will be available by then.. For Kiefer, Give him a chance again.. I think he can bounce back, He's still better option than Nietto and unsure of JGDL also.. much better we have more players in the pool.. 2021 to 2023 is long way to go.. More things will happen in that span of time..
            Much as i prefer jgdl and matt or dalph over kief for prep to 2023, it doesn't hurt to have kief because if these kids can't be better than him, then i don't think they deserve to be considered for the PG spot. I think kief can be a good competition for them.

Comment

• South Korea travel ban til Jan 15. I wonder whats happens? Do we forfeit if we dont allow them in? What happens with Australia? SBP better work this out unless FIBA does somwthing smart for a change

Comment

I think if it comes down to a choice between Kiefer & Romeo as to who should reinforce cadet point guards 1GDL & Matt Nieto to provide stability & leadership in the point guard spot, coach Jong Uichico, his assistants & consultant Tab Baldwin will most likely choose Kiefer.
                If it comes down to that and considering the 2021 tournament, then yes, kiefer it is.
                Also, i still would very much like to see a lineup with only 2 PBA players, not part of the gilas draft, to support the Gilas team in the fiba-asia tournament.

Comment

• https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/w...ef=home_feed_1

Marcial said he doesn't expect a request from SBP to come in until the full draft pool is revealed, by which time Gilas Pilipinas coaches led by Tab Baldwin should have a clear idea if they want some people in the pool or not.

Among the potential Gilas prospects are La Salle slotman Justine Baltazar, former Green Archers Jamie Malonzo and Santi Santillan, Joshua Munzon and Thirdy Ravena, who should be the consensus No. 1 pick if he declares for the draft.

"Magkakalinaw pa lang yan after ng January 27," said Marcial. "At magkakaalaman lang yan kung sino magpapa-draft mga January 26, ganyan."

An SBP request, Marcial said, will just be the first step for the PBA board, who he said will have a lot of other issues to decide on once it convenes.

How many players will the SBP want for the special Gilas draft? And what happens to the five players from last year's draft - Isaac Go, Matt and Mike Nieto, Rey Suerte, and Allyn Bulanadi - who were loaned to the national team?

"Meron na silang limang players from last year, di ba? So ilan pa ang kailangan nila?" Marcial said, thinking aloud. "At anong mangyayari sa mga drinaft last year? Ibabalik na ba sila sa kani-kanilang mother teams?"

Lots of variables, really. But one thing Marcial is sure of, the next PBA pool will be deep enough to attract interest, both from Gilas and the league teams.

"Tingin ko hanggang third round, meron pa nagda-draft d'yan," said Marcial, pointing to the wealth of talent that he expects to come from senior players from the UAAP and the NCAA and those from the MPBL.

Comment

• Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
                    https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/w...ef=home_feed_1

Marcial said he doesn't expect a request from SBP to come in until the full draft pool is revealed, by which time Gilas Pilipinas coaches led by Tab Baldwin should have a clear idea if they want some people in the pool or not.

Among the potential Gilas prospects are La Salle slotman Justine Baltazar, former Green Archers Jamie Malonzo and Santi Santillan, Joshua Munzon and Thirdy Ravena, who should be the consensus No. 1 pick if he declares for the draft.

"Magkakalinaw pa lang yan after ng January 27," said Marcial. "At magkakaalaman lang yan kung sino magpapa-draft mga January 26, ganyan."

An SBP request, Marcial said, will just be the first step for the PBA board, who he said will have a lot of other issues to decide on once it convenes.

How many players will the SBP want for the special Gilas draft? And what happens to the five players from last year's draft - Isaac Go, Matt and Mike Nieto, Rey Suerte, and Allyn Bulanadi - who were loaned to the national team?

"Meron na silang limang players from last year, di ba? So ilan pa ang kailangan nila?" Marcial said, thinking aloud. "At anong mangyayari sa mga drinaft last year? Ibabalik na ba sila sa kani-kanilang mother teams?"

Lots of variables, really. But one thing Marcial is sure of, the next PBA pool will be deep enough to attract interest, both from Gilas and the league teams.

"Tingin ko hanggang third round, meron pa nagda-draft d'yan," said Marcial, pointing to the wealth of talent that he expects to come from senior players from the UAAP and the NCAA and those from the MPBL.
                    Pba needs to add teams which are not farm teams

Comment

• Interesting though the discussion about size and speed, watched this video before. He’s big but he’s lean in terms of muscle with low Body fat %. With a weight of 85kg at 177cm. Also his strength to size ratio is very good. Though rugby fields are bigger than basketball courts so in basketball less chances to go full speed. I think with Kiefer he’s actually quick enough. He seems to have a decent first step which I think is more important than top end speed for basketball

I also look at a lot of undersized pg in the nba (below 6ft) and they are all pretty big guys. I will say Kiefer should lose some weight but I think you need some size to keep up with the bigger guys or else you’ll get outmuscled on offense and defense
                      Last edited by TheRodster21; 12-29-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Interesting though the discussion about size and speed, watched this video before. He’s big but he’s lean in terms of muscle with low Body fat %. With a weight of 85kg at 177cm. Also his strength to size ratio is very good. Though rugby fields are bigger than basketball courts so in basketball less chances to go full speed. I think with Kiefer he’s actually quick enough. He seems to have a decent first step which I think is more important than top end speed for basketball

I also look at a lot of undersized pg in the nba (below 6ft) and they are all pretty big guys. I will say Kiefer should lose some weight but I think you need some size to keep up with the bigger guys or else you’ll get outmuscled on offense and defense
                        Even Caram who's 5'6 or 5'7 is built like a truck.

True. Barea, IT, Van Fleet etc are strong as hell yet their still fast enough. Strength is needed to fight through screens, contact etc especially in the NBA where everyone is bigger and atronger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodbi View Post
                          Yeah, he looks like a tank now. Why PBA point guards and their handlers don't follow standard basketball height-to-weight proportion is really head-scratching for me.
                          Hopefully the Gilas coaching staff is able to advise him on that, like what they did directly/indirectly with Javi GDL

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrenzo View Post
                            Hopefully the Gilas coaching staff is able to advise him on that, like what they did directly/indirectly with Javi GDL

Part of the blame,are Americans who played 2 or 3 sports in HS,specially guys who played American football,some who were RBs and WR can move fast and quick with muscles,since those are positions that gets hit hard in every play.So some of those players who ends up in the NBA,looks more muscular than the average NBA basketball player,so the rest try to incorporate their workout and conditioning of football to basketball.Crazy thoughts since basketball is just a contact sport even in the most physical games,unlike American football its a freaking hitting in every play,in either offense or defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARMIR View Post
                              Part of the blame,are Americans who played 2 or 3 sports in HS,specially guys who played American football,some who were RBs and WR can move fast and quick with muscles,since those are positions that gets hit hard in every play.So some of those players who ends up in the NBA,looks more muscular than the average NBA basketball player,so the rest try to incorporate their workout and conditioning of football to basketball.Crazy thoughts since basketball is just a contact sport even in the most physical games,unlike American football its a freaking hitting in every play,in either offense or defense.
                              It’s bigger field as well. Allows players to go for top speed more often where basketball it’s harder to go super fast which is why some nfl guys reach Olympic level speeds. I’d say basketball is more endurance. So I actually think more slow twitch is more important for endurance.

Comment

It’s bigger field as well. Allows players to go for top speed more often where basketball it’s harder to go super fast which is why some nfl guys reach Olympic level speeds. I’d say basketball is more endurance. So I actually think more slow twitch is more important for endurance.

When people look at Lebron James,he's your typical former WR/TE player in football and he still worksout like one,but that's an almost an exception to the norm,if you never played with an added weight and mass with your body in basketball,then you shouldn't start doing so.This crazy crossover sports,workouts,conditioning should not be followed to the letter,it just wears out the body too much.I can agree the slow twitch and endurance,maybe a middle distance track training is more needed to get to a long NBA season is more appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information