Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    javi can also penetrate. moves well off the ball. hope he develops his defense.
    That's another upside Javi can utilize. We all know he can shoot but having a slashing game (kahit di ganooon ka bilis) would be a plus.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
      For me, I like the idea of sending Go, Carino and Balti in this window. These games are valuable experience for them. Atleast they know what it feels like against a veteran FIBA campaigner.

IMO, i will still send these against 2nd Indonesia match add one from Japeth, CS or if naturalized, Kouame.

Korean matches should be reserved to Kouame, Japeth, with Balty and Carino in.

Gilas has about 10-13 bigs that can be put into our pool while Thailand only has Teerawat, Patiphan and Jakrawan as decent bigs. The rest are either short or unskilled.
      Very much agree.

The concept of forming a cadet team is to try out the young players & find out if who's got the right stuff & who doesn't. Now some of these players will not show anything in their first stint but the thing is, they're still young & developing. For instance, Dave Ildefonso was far from impressive in this window, but the kid is only 20 years old. Things would be different if a 23-year old plays in this level of game.
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
        Yeah, we need guys like Japeth, Standhardinger, and Kouame to push Baltazar, Go, and Cariño to the 4-spot. We need these young bigs to be playable when called upon. Hope in the future, they can be part of the 2023 roster.
        I don't like the idea of playing Go as a 4. He's too slow to play as a 4. He only have some relevance playing that position because he can hit it from 3-pt. But in terms of mobility & quickness, he won't cut it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
          But what's you're take about Oftana fumbling in his dribble several times which could have been turnovers if not for some luck?
          Personally Oftana has better upside than Javi, I think better shooter, definitely better defender and better vision... Besides Javi was able to pad up his score as Bro Juan is making conscious effort to setup his brother hahahah

Comment

I don't like the idea of playing Go as a 4. He's too slow to play as a 4. He only have some relevance playing that position because he can hit it from 3-pt. But in terms of mobility & quickness, he won't cut it.
            Well the Go Balti combination was not blown out naman..Besides in that combination it's Go who pays the PF in both offense and defense..Besides may scheme din ang Gilas to funnel the slasher to the middle at kina log nila ang middle ..Go's 3ptbshooting is the reason why he is in the team, Siya Lang ang shooting from 3 among the bigs in this pool

Comment

Go has the skillset of a (very erratic) stretch 4, speed and hops of a 5. Well, that's why he was the 5 when he and Baltazar were paired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                none..
                None, because outside Jawato, none of the locals from Indonesia are individually good.
                Attack
                defend
                Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                  He did score 15 on our best bigs in the SEA Games.
                  He did score 15 in the SEA Games, but our bigs, specifically June Mar, Vic Manuel, and Standhardinger made him work on defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
                    Baltazar at 4 was the key defensively to this team. There is no doubt he can guard perimeter players. Kobe might have better laterals but Balti is not way off and has more length.

Take note this is the first time Balti played internationally. Kmark played in the U16. His defense is good enough to defend Jakrawan decently but not stop him. Jakrawan is not slow by Asian standards. Balti does not need to. But he needs to make him work more in D. Like improving that 3 of his and being more creative in his post moves.

Give the guy credit. For his first time he was pretty good. He was our most important player defensively.
                    Baltazar's development as a 4-man will be key to our depth at the big position. Hopefully he can maximize his mobility to develop at that spot. I personally feel that he has more upside as a 4-man. Hopefully he also keeps working on his post moves (get someone like Danny Ildefonso), and makes that jumper more consistently. He has potential, but he has to realize it.

Well, it should also be noted that he rebounded well too. 17 rebounds in 2 games this window. Not bad.

Comment

But what's you're take about Oftana fumbling in his dribble several times which could have been turnovers if not for some luck?
                      i just watched the highlights , let me watch replay and of course we need to see him more... i see no reason however if he gets the reps that he cannot be a decent ball handler not great. Danny Green style lang..
                      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                      https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                        Add Thirdy, Kouame

then Parks

then Kai, AJ and JC

that's basically a team already (11 players)
                        on the 12th player, SBP/Gilas could add young player, let's say lebron lopez or amos kid
                        sigpic

Comment

Isn't sending these kids and them winning by 30 plus a resounding success, not because of the blow out wins, which we could have easily done with pros. but

we have the so to speak coming out party introduction to these 2023 Gilas prospects

- Dwight
                          - Baltazar
                          - Kobe
                          - Oftana
                          - 1GDL

these players were not prospects same time last year , they are now... that's the best outcome i could think of
                          What about Will Navarro? Tbh, I can see this kid sneaking on the final lineups which some casuals will raise eye brows, but those who know the game of basketball will not.

6'7 SF, lanky, good defender and quick? That's the guy you want chasing against the Korean shooters. His length will definitely bother them. I got this kid as the main back up of Dwight at SF position.

Comment

• Will Navarro is quick? I don't know about that...

Comment

Isn't sending these kids and them winning by 30 plus a resounding success, not because of the blow out wins, which we could have easily done with pros. but

we have the so to speak coming out party introduction to these 2023 Gilas prospects

- Dwight
                              - Baltazar
                              - Kobe
                              - Oftana
                              - 1GDL

these players were not prospects same time last year , they are now... that's the best outcome i could think of
                              Agreed, these kids played well. Hopefully they play well against top teams, and hopefully we have more opportunities to send more kids (hopefully younger) to international competitions.

Comment

• Originally posted by jasper222 View Post
                                Will Navarro is quick? I don't know about that...
                                For his size he is. Quick in a sense for a small forward position.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information