No announcement yet.

Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is possibly Indonesia's to-be NP. Looks like he played for the US U-19. Will FIBA give another favor?

Indonesia is looks like it's going the Qatar route

Comment

• Originally posted by Labradoodle View Post
      This is possibly Indonesia's to-be NP. Looks like he played for the US U-19. Will FIBA give another favor?

Indonesia is looks like it's going the Qatar route
      “He attended training camp of the 2017 USA Basketball Men's U19 World Cup Team, but was cut before the start of the tournament.”

I dont think this counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
        Paras can only wish he has navarro and nieto’s defensive instincts.
        sayang.he has the motors for it.
        The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonifacio View Post
          So...any word on the Gilas vs China game? ....any update....is it confirmed for today?
          tomorrow afaik. only one game.
          The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
            Paras can only wish he has navarro and nieto’s defensive instincts.
            Paras and Navarro are two different player archetypes, Paras attracts a lot of gravity on the offensive end and can be trained as a decent perimeter defender, while Navarro can use so much more assertiveness and ballsiness on the offense when he's not fumbling his dribbles and diving for the ball that is. Regarding dribbling and 3 point shooting, Paras definitely has the advantage there, idk wtf JAMSKIE is smoking but Navarro was 0/5 in the 1st Korea game and most of his shot attempts were off the dribble or drives to the basket which shows he has inferior finishing skills. Paras was getting double teamed all day vs Thailand and he has no reliable center in that roster when the paint gets too congested, Cariño and Go were non factors so we weren't able to see his real game that window but he was still able to swish a contested 3. These 2 players can learn a lot from each other's game and I'd want them both in the roster, I get Kobe has a Kuzma syndrome who lives a hollywood lifestyle in his head but that's none of our business, all I see is a kid that still has a lot of potential, drive and room for growth in the basketball world.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
              To me I still don't see Dwight as a scorer, in NBA comparison he does not have the Kobe or Jordan score mentality, but rather has the LBJ gene , that frustrates many. Don't get me wrong he can score if needed , but his greatest value is his all around play. (Note in the SJ winning bucket , he was the passer not the go to guy receiver ).
              This is the reason why to me , Dwight is the perfect fit playing alongside a human bucket in Clarkson.
              If indivudual awards are statistical production base Dwight may not win the best player , but to me he is currently the best eligible gilas player.. He is the one player who can play almost anywhere for any team and will be valuable. (As Tab says)
              i actually disagree with coach gregorio that jordan is d best shooter in d team. i think its dwight. he just don't fire away as regularly.

Comment

• Originally posted by empyreanmaze View Post
                Paras and Navarro are two different player archetypes, Paras attracts a lot of gravity on the offensive end and can be trained as a decent perimeter defender, while Navarro can use so much more assertiveness and ballsiness on the offense when he's not fumbling his dribbles and diving for the ball that is. Regarding dribbling and 3 point shooting, Paras definitely has the advantage there, idk wtf JAMSKIE is smoking but Navarro was 0/5 in the 1st Korea game and most of his shot attempts were off the dribble or drives to the basket which shows he has inferior finishing skills. Paras was getting double teamed all day vs Thailand and he has no reliable center in that roster when the paint gets too congested, Cariño and Go were non factors so we weren't able to see his real game that window but he was still able to swish a contested 3. These 2 players can learn a lot from each other's game and I'd want them both in the roster, I get Kobe has a Kuzma syndrome who lives a hollywood lifestyle in his head but that's none of our business, all I see is a kid that still has a lot of potential, drive and room for growth in the basketball world.
                Yes, I agree, Navarro had some drives to the basket but couldn't really finish in the 1st game vs. Korea, but I think his ball handling is better than Kobe at this point.
                "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Navarro sure changed a lot. He used to be so soft and avoided contact. Heck he'd rather play like James Yap and lunch jumpers from the perimeter than take it inside. Now he's one of our lockdown defenders who mixes it up with opponents

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                    Navarro sure changed a lot. He used to be so soft and avoided contact. Heck he'd rather play like James Yap and lunch jumpers from the perimeter than take it inside. Now he's one of our lockdown defenders who mixes it up with opponents
                    I think it has to do with the Thirdy centric ateneo team, the offense and defense at the time was so centered around Thirdy na parang nakikita kong naiilang syang makipag sabayan at ilabas yung individual brilliance nya cguro for fear then of "stepping out of line" or being blamed for their loses, there was one moment when Thirdy shouted at him for not passing the ball despite the fact that he drew a fould during his drive, I don't see Navarro as someone who absorbs that kind of pressure well looking at his personality. But that's the nature of the game I guess, in UAAP players like Thirdy wins games, but in FIBA I guess even Navarro himself has subconsciously realized that a player of his size and skillset wins games and has garnered up the confidence to step up. This stint actually convinced me that I would take Navarro type of players over "leaders" like Thirdy in international competitions.

Comment

The thing with Navarro is that, despite his shortcomings, he fits coach Tab system to a T. I think Navarro is very much aware of his shortcomings & knows how to make the most of his few strengths or upside. I think the most important thing under a coach Tab Baldwin system is being able to understand your role, & being aware of your strengths & limits. It remains to be seen whether Kobe would be able to accept the role being designed for him by coach Tab in Gilas. In the 2 games vs. Thailand in the 2nd window, Kobe was tasked by coach Tab to play as a 4, but Kobe didn't play well in that 2 games. Perhaps in that role, Kobe was not given enough freedom to score or do the things he is used to doing, hence the struggle in the 2 games vs. Thailand. Kobe is a scorer eh & he is used to that role. With the UP Maroons, Kobe is the focal point of the team's offense. But playing with a talent-laden team with Gilas, Kobe would be compelled to accept a role that might deprive him the touches & freedom to score.

Would Kobe be willing to embrace that role?
                      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Paras recently changed his shooting stroke and hasn’t even tested it in real competition. Until he can show that he improved his shot and can excel while playing within a real system, ill rank navarro ahead of him. Paras’s deficiencies are so much more than his “hollywood lifestyle”.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                          The thing with Navarro is that, despite his shortcomings, he fits coach Tab system to a T. I think Navarro is very much aware of his shortcomings & knows how to make the most of his few strengths or upside. I think the most important thing under a coach Tab Baldwin system is being able to understand your role, & being aware of your strengths & limits. It remains to be seen whether Kobe would be able to accept the role being designed for him by coach Tab in Gilas. In the 2 games vs. Thailand in the 2nd window, Kobe was tasked by coach Tab to play as a 4, but Kobe didn't play well in that 2 games. Perhaps in that role, Kobe was not given enough freedom to score or do the things he is used to doing, hence the struggle in the 2 games vs. Thailand. Kobe is a scorer eh & he is used to that role. With the UP Maroons, Kobe is the focal point of the team's offense. But playing with a talent-laden team with Gilas, Kobe would be compelled to accept a role that might deprive him the touches & freedom to score.

Would Kobe be willing to embrace that role?
                          Agree with this. Unfortunately, paras has very limited experience playing competitively on a legitimate basketball system. Not entirely his fault given what happened to his us ncaa career.

Comment

• Speaking of Thirdy Unless he becomes a consistent knockdown 3 point shooter I think the best role for him in Gilas is an off-the-bench reliever for Ramos. Thirdy is too small for an SF (at 6'3) and doesn't have the ball-handling skills to be a PG. Until he develops into a steady PG or a consistent knockdown 3 point shooter I think his best role is an off the bench SG

Comment

• Originally posted by Juan Lun View Post
                              Speaking of Thirdy Unless he becomes a consistent knockdown 3 point shooter I think the best role for him in Gilas is an off-the-bench reliever for Ramos. Thirdy is too small for an SF (at 6'3) and doesn't have the ball-handling skills to be a PG. Until he develops into a steady PG or a consistent knockdown 3 point shooter I think his best role is an off the bench SG
                              Mike nieto role 😊

Comment

• Nice discussion in Point of View Spin,ph fb " do we still need the PBA"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information