No announcement yet.

Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Ratliffe gives Kai problems. Against the 3 7 foot tall trees of China he had 21/12 with 7 offensive rebounds. He’s very strong and physical something that Kai struggles against and unlike China Kai will be the only 7 footer there. I think Kai can give Ratliffe problems length wise though. I think it’s best having chua or Soyud guard Ratliffe if he’s there.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
      If I'll have it my way, i won't have more than 3 PBA players for that window. Stanhardinger, if he's available, he's a must since kouame is unlikely to make it. Add 1 or a couple more and that's good to go.
      the bubble needs all the warm bodies they need. PBA players are pros and they can give quality training as well as experience to the young guns. in the bubble you dont have to play scrimmages with other teams.
      The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
        Hope that Erram will join.. Atleast he can handle Ratliffe..
        I hope that Tratter can join. He is the only few I know that has a body that can be thrown to a player like Ratliffe and at 6'5-6'6, i don't think Trats will be easily outmuscled by Ratliffe. Mo would be the other one but too bad that he is within SMC stable.
        Attack
        defend
        Unite

Comment

Skills wise, kai is already at the level that can match with the likes of Ratcliffe but whether if he can hold his ground, maybe not yet. It'll be a good test
          Yes he does, & I'm very confident of that, but things like physical strength & ability to absorb contact is something we can't expect much from an 18-year old lanky kid like Kai Sotto. Yun yung lamang nina Ratliffe & Prosper kay Kai, physical strength & ability to absorb contact becoz unlike Kai, they are already full grown men whose physical attributes are fully developed. I expect Ratliffe & Prosper to utilize their edge in physical strength over Kai Sotto.

But wait till Kai begins to develop physical strength & I'm confident the tables would be reversed. I bet pagdating ni Kai ng mga 21 or 22 years old, di na nila pweding gulangan si Kai.

I think pag purely basketball skills lang talaga ang pag-uusapan, Kai for me ranks better than most 7-foot or above centers that played in Asian basketball, & that includes Hadadi, Zhou Qi or even Yao Ming (remember, we are just talking here of pure basketball skills).

The Kaiju shows this great move in the FIBA Asia U16 semis - the Hakeem Olajuwon dream shake.

That's pure basketball skills for you.
          Last edited by JAMSKIE; 01-22-2021, 04:53 AM.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Yun nga bro. That's just how nature works. Not very common for 18yos to posses a physique of a grown man, specially Asians. There are exceptions like the Teng brothers. See how they dominated HS and even college coz they were ahead in terrms of physical maturity but look now that their contemporaries have caught up, wala na yung mama factor, specially for the case of the older brother. Kai on the other hand is no exception, ngayon plng nga nagmamature. And i take it as a positive for a raw physique kid to hold his own against full grown men kaht pa sabhng advantage sa length yung kai. I mean, imagine what a full grown kai can do.
            That's becoz age plays a huge factor on a player's playing capabilities. Its a certainty that a 26-year old player would play better than an 18-year old one even if they are of equal skills. Giannis Antetokounmpo was 18 years old when he played for the Greece National team in the 2014 FIBA World Cup. Yet Giannis registered measly stats & wasn't really much of a factor for his Greek team. In fact, I didn't even notice him when Gilas played Greece in that tournament. I think if Giannis got to play against Dray Blatche in that game, lalamunin sya ng buhay ni Blatche. But right now, if ever Giannis faces even a prime Dray Blatche, the tables would be reversed. Blatche won't stand a chance against Giannis right now.

That is why it really annoys me reading posts like, "Kai should dominate Prosper or Ratliffe for Kai to boost his stock in the NBA draft". I say that is an unrealistic expectation & its unfair for Kai.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
              That's becoz age plays a huge factor on a player's playing capabilities. Its a certainty that a 26-year old player would play better than an 18-year old one even if they are of equal skills. Giannis Antetokounmpo was 18 years old when he played for the Greece National team in the 2014 FIBA World Cup. Yet Giannis registered measly stats & wasn't really much of a factor for his Greek team. In fact, I didn't even notice him when Gilas played Greece in that tournament. I think if Giannis got to play against Dray Blatche in that game, lalamunin sya ng buhay ni Blatche. But right now, if ever Giannis faces even a prime Dray Blatche, the tables would be reversed. Blatche won't stand a chance against Giannis right now.

That is why it really annoys me reading posts like, "Kai should dominate Prosper or Ratliffe for Kai to boost his stock in the NBA draft". I say that is an unrealistic expectation & its unfair for Kai.
              tab will probably use kai like how he use ange.. not expecting him to dominate cardo and prosper. if he did what he’s being ask by tab then great even he just scored less and with good number rebounds, doing little things.. he also needs to screen well.. some of his screen might call an offensive foul.. euro bigs screen well..
              Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

A good game against either or both of them can already get scouts to notice, especially considering that the two of them are naturalized players from the Americas.

Comment

• I dont think Kai will start. Go, Chua and Soyud might get more burn and even start.

I am also looking at how these PBA guys will adjust. Hopefully they play well. That will give local 2nd tier bigs motivation so that they too can play in Fiba.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                    tab will probably use kai like how he use ange.. not expecting him to dominate cardo and prosper. if he did what he’s being ask by tab then great even he just scored less and with good number rebounds, doing little things.. he also needs to screen well.. some of his screen might call an offensive foul.. euro bigs screen well..
                    Originally posted by IPC View Post
                    A good game against either or both of them can already get scouts to notice, especially considering that the two of them are naturalized players from the Americas.
                    And that means averaging about 12 ppg & 8 rebs/game vs. Korea & Indonesia & not like expecting Kai to register 20 pts. 12 rebs/game as a poster here seem to be expecting. Agree with Silent Killer, Kai's role with Gilas (at least in the 3rd window) would be more or less same as Ange Kouame's role in Ateneo. You don't score 20+ pts. per game playing that role.

Comment

• Originally posted by spidey102279
                      BTW guys, do you think Gilas can maximize Kai's passing skills, specially in the high post? I am afraid that they will relegate him to a guy who just waiting for a drop pass from a driving guards, which is a typical gilas play.
                      Given the Gilas playbook from the past 3 games, I think they can maximize Kai from the high post. And this is not a Chot system we're talking about, so I think guards will mostly initiate.

Comment

• Originally posted by spidey102279

As I rewatched the highlights, there are instances that they used the big man as high post passers (Isaac Go). Now its a high possibility that they gonna used Kai as a passing big man.
                        That's an almost certain possibility bro. I think among the Gilas pool big men, which include PBA bigs, Kai is one of the best passers

Comment

That's an almost certain possibility bro. I think among the Gilas pool big men, which include PBA bigs, Kai is one of the best passers
                          Actually, Kai is the best passing big in Gilas. No question

Comment

Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                            Actually, Kai is the best passing big in Gilas. No question
                            Kai's a better passer than a lot of other point guards. That's both good and bad. Good in the sense that Kai has a feel for the game. Bad in the sense that a lot of point guards don't know how to facilitate for their teammates.

Comment

And that means averaging about 12 ppg & 8 rebs/game vs. Korea & Indonesia & not like expecting Kai to register 20 pts. 12 rebs/game as a poster here seem to be expecting. Agree with Silent Killer, Kai's role with Gilas (at least in the 3rd window) would be more or less same as Ange Kouame's role in Ateneo. You don't score 20+ pts. per game playing that role.
                              That's a reasonable stat line but I'm hoping at least 15 pts and a block or 2. But I really want him to go off against SK.

Comment

• For now, here's the ones who are in the bubble:

Juan Gomez de Liaño
                                Kai Sotto
                                Roger Pogoy
                                Troy Rosario
                                Raul Soyud
                                Justin Chua
                                CJ Perez
                                Kiefer Ravena
                                Isaac Go
                                Matt Nieto
                                Mike Nieto
                                Rey Suerte
                                Javi Gomez de Liaño
                                Dave Ildefonso
                                Justine Baltazar
                                Calvin Oftana
                                William Navarro
                                Kemark Cariño
                                Ange Kouame

Most likely, this is the final pool. At least Juan made it.

6 PBA players, and only 2 legit centers (who should be part of the few to be even considered in the final lineup). Man. At least Kai arrived here, which solves the center problem a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information