Page 166 of 176 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 3504

Thread: Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    Yes, that is correct but that's why I was saying I'm hoping fiba relaxes its eligibility rules. Afterall, he's legit half Thai and has been connected with Thai basketball for a while already. I think he's still with their ABL team, mono vampire. Maybe, aside from allowing 1 naturalized, fiba should also allow at least 1 who doesn't meet the before age 16 rule
    Yeah, this has been an on going issue for years. I doubt FIBA will tweak their rule regarding that.

Come November for Gilas tho, I hope we can have a front line of Greg Slaughter, Maurice Shaw and Ange Kouame. Those 3 will really compliment our energetic wings

Thirdy, CJ, and Kobe Paras

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    Man, that Big 3 could be a legit championship contender not just in SEA but also in Asia.
    Well, that can already cover the center position, the SF and the SG. 1 decent PG and PF and they can at least upset some good Asian teams

Quote Originally Posted by DenzelGreat8 View Post
    Yeah, this has been an on going issue for years. I doubt FIBA will tweak their rule regarding that.

Come November for Gilas tho, I hope we can have a front line of Greg Slaughter, Maurice Shaw and Ange Kouame. Those 3 will really compliment our energetic wings

Thirdy, CJ, and Kobe Paras
    I think that's possible. I've read that Shaw was born in Laguna so he should be eligible to play as a local

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    I think that's possible. I've read that Shaw was born in Laguna so he should be eligible to play as a local
    And also Greg, if MVP will make a move to get him via free agency...

If we want to have big men in our team without being limited by the naturalization rules of FIBA, we have to adjust our citizenship laws.

We should have jus soli citizenship for people born in the Philippines to parents who are permanent residents.

We can target and further assimilate the local Indian community who were born and raised in the Philippines but are not citizens (because it costs almost half a million pesos to naturalize).

We could also encourage immigration by skilled workers from "bigger countries" and give them permanent residency so that their children become Filipinos.

Outsmart FIBA. Think long term.

Why is he so bitter?

This is why I like Tab Baldwin. Very frank, but he aimt bitter.

https://t.co/t9IsGmckkA

Gilas Pilipinas will "most likely" roll with the same team under interim coach Mark Dickel once FIBA reschedules the postponed game against Thailand for the first window of the 2021 Asia Cup qualifiers.

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) president Al Panlilio, however, said the federation has yet to reconcile with the PBA in terms of borrowing pros again for the deferred match.

"Well right now, the players there are really from TNT. So we'll have to ask permission from TNT if ever we use (Roger) Pogoy and Troy (Rosario) for that one," he shared. "Of course (Abu) Tratter (of Alaska) is there and Justin Chua of Phoenix. So if the same lineup, we'll have to work with the PBA."

Thailand being competitive against South Korea in its first window assignment and losing by only seven, 93-86, in Seoul last Feb. 23 gave Gilas enough reasons, according to Panlilio, to again reinforce a young core with PBA players in order to avoid a risk of an upset at home.

But Panlilio said the SBP won't favor a tournament stoppage and will instead identify specific players ahead of the game, which he expects to be rescheduled "way before the (second window) in November."

"I think that's been the reason why they agreed on the drafting of these young players full-time to the program, so we don't disrupt the PBA too much," he added. "But if it's only a couple of teams that we can just focus on picking up players, maybe we can ask Commissioner (Willie Marcial) to adjust their games, and maybe schedule their games on another day."

In the meantime, Panlilio said the five special Gilas draftees in Isaac Go, Rey Suerte, Allyn Bulanadi and brothers Matt and Mike Nieto, along with other non-pro standouts, will continue to train ahead of the Thailand contest under Alex Compton, who has been named to the full-time assistant coaching post with the national team.

"We have very young players that we want to develop, and we want someone just to be with them during this journey," said of the Compton appointment. "At least for the young guys, I think they will continue to practice."

"I think more player development first," Panlilio added when asked about the federation's plans for younger Gilas standouts. "I think we have to sort of continue a little bit because we don't know when the Thailand game will happen, so we want to make sure we're actually ready for that."

The SBP is also not ruling out the idea of adding more young names to its training pool as long as they are not yet eligible to be drafted to the PBA, which imposes the risk of a ban for eligible players who skip the draft for two straight years.

"For players who are not eligible yet, they are welcome to the Gilas program. I think we've identified players who are still playing in the UAAP or in the NCAA. Again, this is more of a long-term program," said Panlilio. "We're not looking at just one window. We want to develop as many players as we can. Really, the vision is more long-term than short-term."

Meanwhile, in terms of adding a naturalized player, Panlilio said it is still in the "very early stages" of talking to former San Miguel import Chris McCullough, who has been vocal about his intent to be part of the Gilas program.

"We reached out to him. (Team manager) Gabby Cui is reaching out to him. There is interest of course, but interest is different from agreeing on a commercial term. So that's something that I think has to be worked on," he said.

Panlilio, though, admitted that finding a full-time coach before the second window is a bigger priority at the moment.

"It's a chicken and egg (dilemma). Maybe the coach has a different need for a different kind of player (in mind). That's something I think we're trying to balance out," he explained. "We also don't want to lose players like him just in case he has other commitments, but I think he's showed his intention that he's willing to be part of the program."

Added Panlilio: "Really, our track is to find a full-time coach for the national team. That's the next step. I will work with (PBA) chairman (Ricky) Vargas, because I told him already that we should start a formal search on the coach. So we'll gather some names and maybe start doing interviews. And hopefully we can decide sooner than later."

hopefully potentially to be included
    NCAA: Oftana, Ambohot, Cariño and Gutang
    UAAP: Belangel, Tuffin, Navarro and Abando
    Amateurs: Rike and Santillan

McCullough is very available in the 2nd window if already naturalized i guess. UAAP is still
    ongoing in the next window.

A pool of Chickenjoy, JB and Kouame is decent enough for NPs.

And imagine all 3 playing together for the Asian Games.

Quote Originally Posted by k3ttch View Post
    A pool of Chickenjoy, JB and Kouame is decent enough for NPs.

And imagine all 3 playing together for the Asian Games.
    JB needs to show up first.

Quote Originally Posted by allmight View Post
    JB needs to show up first.
    Isn't Brownlee an SMC player?
    “When we are saying this cannot be accomplished, this cannot be done, then we are short-changing ourselves. My brain, it cannot process failure. It will not process failure. Because if I have to sit there and face myself and tell myself, ‘You’re a failure,’ I think that is worse, that is almost worse than death.”

- Kobe Bryant

Rest in Peace Mamba..

In the meantime, Panlilio said the five special Gilas draftees in Isaac Go, Rey Suerte, Allyn Bulanadi and brothers Matt and Mike Nieto, along with other non-pro standouts, will continue to train ahead of the Thailand contest under Alex Compton, who has been named to the full-time assistant coaching post with the national team.

Great.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    If we want to have big men in our team without being limited by the naturalization rules of FIBA, we have to adjust our citizenship laws.

We should have jus soli citizenship for people born in the Philippines to parents who are permanent residents.

We can target and further assimilate the local Indian community who were born and raised in the Philippines but are not citizens (because it costs almost half a million pesos to naturalize).

We could also encourage immigration by skilled workers from "bigger countries" and give them permanent residency so that their children become Filipinos.

Outsmart FIBA. Think long term.
    Question is will our senators do that????. They vary their opinions in literally every topic in the senate.
    Good thing, tito sen. Is a fan of basketball

So apparently, There was an invitation from Gilas for Calvin Abueva to join but Marcial and PBA is blocking it. Based on Sam Abueva's IG post.

Quote Originally Posted by fadzki View Post
    Isn't Brownlee an SMC player?
    So is McCullough.

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Question is will our senators do that????. They vary their opinions in literally every topic in the senate.
    Good thing, tito sen. Is a fan of basketball
    If the senate in the 90s can grant amnesty law to illegals, there's no reason they can't push for legal integration of Philippine-born aliens.

We're talking about people who grew up in the Philippines, speaks Tagalog, eats sinigang, cheers for the Philippines but can't be legally Filipinos due to citizenship laws and the sheer expense for naturalization (almost Php 500,000)

The senate will have to amend the citizenship laws. But IMO, this is a longer-term solution and cheaper in the long run than naturalizing mid-30s
    (nearing retirement) American athletes all the time. Also, naturalization a la Douthit is also decided bt the senate. So why not just amend our citizenship laws. FIBA can't argue now who is Filipino and who is not. We instantly have non-Malays who are natural-born Filipinos.

It's also a way to "circumvent" the FIBA Hagop rule in some aspects.

Many of these Philippine-born foreigners are culturally Filipinos. They're just not "legally Filipino".

And SBPs suggestion to use DNA test as prove of descent is a joke. Our law does not define who is Filipino by genetic ancestry but by citizenship of their parents.

Going by DNA to prove Filipinoness is like saying Chris Tiu who played for Gilas is not Filipino because he is full-blooded Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post

Great.
    If Thailand did not make Korea shake in their boots we did not have to prepare this hard against the Thais. As my favorite oligarch once said, "Bibitayin tayo ng mga Pilipino pag natalo tayo [sa Southeast Asia]. The Filipinos will crucify us if we lose [in SEA]."
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Does anyone know the average age of this team? Seems like this the youngest men's team since the original Gilas.
    Last edited by B L A C K S U N; 02-27-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    If the senate in the 90s can grant amnesty law to illegals, there's no reason they can't push for legal integration of Philippine-born aliens.

We're talking about people who grew up in the Philippines, speaks Tagalog, eats sinigang, cheers for the Philippines but can't be legally Filipinos due to citizenship laws and the sheer expense for naturalization (almost Php 500,000)

The senate will have to amend the citizenship laws. But IMO, this is a longer-term solution and cheaper in the long run than naturalizing mid-30s
    (nearing retirement) American athletes all the time. Also, naturalization a la Douthit is also decided bt the senate. So why not just amend our citizenship laws. FIBA can't argue now who is Filipino and who is not. We instantly have non-Malays who are natural-born Filipinos.

It's also a way to "circumvent" the FIBA Hagop rule in some aspects.

Many of these Philippine-born foreigners are culturally Filipinos. They're just not "legally Filipino".

And SBPs suggestion to use DNA test as prove of descent is a joke. Our law does not define who is Filipino by genetic ancestry but by citizenship of their parents.

Going by DNA to prove Filipinoness is like saying Chris Tiu who played for Gilas is not Filipino because he is full-blooded Chinese
    a bit OT, but I envy the World Baseball Classic's citizenship criteria

Tim Tebow will play for the Philippines in World Baseball Classic qualifying
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/t...ic-qualifying/

imagine if FIBA would do the same, though it will definitely be abused (ehem Qatar ehem)

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    If Thailand did not make Korea shake in their boots we did not have to prepare this hard against the Thais. As my favorite oligarch once said, "Bibitayin tayo ng mga Pilipino pag natalo tayo [sa Southeast Asia]. The Filipinos will crucify us if we lose [in SEA]."
    So Thailand scaring korea is actually good for us. Of korea dominated thailand, SBP will give 10 day preperation again. Haha

Why people hee overrate thailnd too much?
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Page 166 of 176 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168 ... LastLast