Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
    Kobe paras struggles when presented with multiple options like when playing in the high post and reading the defense. Seems like he gets stuck in the thinking game, instead of just playing. Id rather have him spotting up and/or cutting. Worst case scenario, just plant him in the dunker’s spot.
    I disagree with this to a certain extent. I've tracked half of the games Kobe played (with time stamps) and came up with the conclusion that he's a good passer with solid vision for finding lay ups and cutters (we saw that against Thailand with his good pass to Balti). Before he makes up his mind to put the ball on the floor, Kobe has shown great vision and awareness of his surroundings. After, it's like he puts the blinders on and looks to score. There is value to be had with Kobe on the ball and movement around him because his athleticism is still perceived as a threat by defenses. Kobe exhibits good potential for passing (more so than spotting up) and we won't get the most out of him if we restrict him purely to off-ball).

Also as noted by another user, Kobe in the high post or the nail was a common play in BLIA. This makes use of his vision and the spacing provided with Kobe as a small 4 and masks his handles because defenses can't sag off him in midrange and his first step works better when he has a shorter distance to cover going to the rim.

Comment

• Curious to see his playmaking in the international scene, i think he benefits a lot when he can see over the defense. Different story if he is being defended by similar-sized wings/bigs. I dont see a lot of value in him spotting up as well, but id rather him missing open threes (that his teammates can recover) than comitting turnovers due to his decision making.

Comment

Curious to see his playmaking in the international scene, i think he benefits a lot when he can see over the defense. Different story if he is being defended by similar-sized wings/bigs. I dont see a lot of value in him spotting up as well, but id rather him missing open threes (that his teammates can recover) than comitting turnovers due to his decision making.
        His size advantage is a good point wrt his passing. Let's hope Kobe works on his jumper well enough to at least be a 33% shooter when wide open. I think that would open the game up a lot for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheNatural7 View Post
          I disagree with this to a certain extent. I've tracked half of the games Kobe played (with time stamps) and came up with the conclusion that he's a good passer with solid vision for finding lay ups and cutters (we saw that against Thailand with his good pass to Balti). Before he makes up his mind to put the ball on the floor, Kobe has shown great vision and awareness of his surroundings. After, it's like he puts the blinders on and looks to score. There is value to be had with Kobe on the ball and movement around him because his athleticism is still perceived as a threat by defenses. Kobe exhibits good potential for passing (more so than spotting up) and we won't get the most out of him if we restrict him purely to off-ball).

Also as noted by another user, Kobe in the high post or the nail was a common play in BLIA. This makes use of his vision and the spacing provided with Kobe as a small 4 and masks his handles because defenses can't sag off him in midrange and his first step works better when he has a shorter distance to cover going to the rim.
          Wow, Joakim Noah play with the Bulls. That's not a bad idea. If he can keep finding teammates, maybe he's not as worthless on offense.

Comment

• Anyway, i think tab is seeing something more in kobe hence his current role on the team. I wish them the best, but my expectations are tempered.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
              Wow, Joakim Noah play with the Bulls. That's not a bad idea. If he can keep finding teammates, maybe he's not as worthless on offense.
              Noah, marc gasol in memphis, jokic and bam to an extent. Relies on height advantage and ability to see over the defense.

Comment

The shorter distance Kobe has to dribble drive to the basket likewise masks Kobe's dribbling deficiency. Meaning Kobe driving from 15 feet away from the basket is less likely to fumble the ball than Kobe driving from 23 feet away from the basket.
                "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Another aspect in offense where Kobe hasn't exhibited is the medium range jump shot. Japeth Aguilar's mid-range jumper is money. That reliable mid-range jumper of japeth compensates for his limited offensive arsenal. That is why despite of Japeth's major shortcomings in his game, the defense can't simply count him out becoz he will hurt you with his accurate medium range jumpers. On a good night, Japeth can puncture the defense with as many as 6 medium range jumpers. And that's a significant contribution.

Hope Kobe can improve his medium range jump shot. I think this is something workable. Kobe just have to be patient & determined to improve on that aspect.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                    Another aspect in offense where Kobe hasn't exhibited is the medium range jump shot. Japeth Aguilar's mid-range jumper is money. That reliable mid-range jumper of japeth compensates for his limited offensive arsenal. That is why despite of Japeth's major shortcomings in his game, the defense can't simply count him out becoz he will hurt you with his accurate medium range jumpers. On a good night, Japeth can puncture the defense with as many as 6 medium range jumpers. And that's a significant contribution.

Hope Kobe can improve his medium range jump shot. I think this is something workable. Kobe just have to be patient & determined to improve on that aspect.
                    I think Kobe is potentially a decent spot-up midrange shooter (he's a 70~% shooter from the line on high volume). The problem is that it isn't really his game to spot-up in the midrange. He doesn't get open looks there because the defense guards him tight from 15-19 feet. He doesn't have a pull-up game and midrange iso game due to his handles and he has difficulty shooting on the move (probably form or balance issues). Teams still respect Kobe from that range. I think a better addition would be a floater game. If he had a floater, he wouldn't be shooting as many wild shots at the rim. Currently, his floater is very slow and easy to read. He doesn't have confidence in it especially against stronger teams. If he had a floater, it would make his life easier against rim protectors. Kobe's touch is very inconsistent. On one play, he throws up a wild attempt from up close and then the next, he gets a high arcing lay-up to fall. If Kobe becomes dangerous from between 3-10 ft, he'd be able to use his height and length more effectively.

Comment

I think Kobe is potentially a decent spot-up midrange shooter (he's a 70~% shooter from the line on high volume). The problem is that it isn't really his game to spot-up in the midrange. He doesn't get open looks there because the defense guards him tight from 15-19 feet. He doesn't have a pull-up game and midrange iso game due to his handles and he has difficulty shooting on the move (probably form or balance issues). Teams still respect Kobe from that range. I think a better addition would be a floater game. If he had a floater, he wouldn't be shooting as many wild shots at the rim. Currently, his floater is very slow and easy to read. He doesn't have confidence in it especially against stronger teams. If he had a floater, it would make his life easier against rim protectors. Kobe's touch is very inconsistent. On one play, he throws up a wild attempt from up close and then the next, he gets a high arcing lay-up to fall. If Kobe becomes dangerous from between 3-10 ft, he'd be able to use his height and length more effectively.
                      Balti already has that one-hander, efficient as well with the midrange J and around the basket. Id rather have him in the highpost.

Comment

Balti already has that one-hander, efficient as well with the midrange J and around the basket. Id rather have him in the highpost.
                        Not exactly high on Balti on offense. He doesn't have the dribble threat and passing Kobe has. He isn't as quick laterally. He is longer and a better rebounder, but that's pretty much it. Kobe was more efficient than Balti last season with a greater offensive load (44.09% TS vs 42.95% TS) and was much better at drawing fouls. Balti seemed to struggle against size and length in college too. FWIW, Kobe was also a better rim protector last season.

Comment

Not exactly high on Balti on offense. He doesn't have the dribble threat and passing Kobe has. He isn't as quick laterally. He is longer and a better rebounder, but that's pretty much it. Kobe was more efficient than Balti last season with a greater offensive load (44.09% TS vs 42.95% TS) and was much better at drawing fouls. Balti seemed to struggle against size and length in college too. FWIW, Kobe was also a better rim protector last season.
                          I feel like balti is more composed and will be less prone to errors than KP in the high post, might be wrong tho. Kinda like balti has a higher floor, but i’ll concede that KP might have a higher ceiling.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                            I have them, bollick and perez, because they're battle tested. I don't have any problem if Dwight replaces them or takes yhe starting role but Dwight still has to prove he can do the job at the higher level. Parks, with how he's been playing, who wouldn't want him but question is, is his heart there?anyway, the heart of my argument here is the 5, 4 and 3 positions. Kai, aj and NP SF vs kai/aj, kobe, Clarkson. Where do you place your bet
                            For me, I'll go with Kai, Aj and JC for the 5, 4 and 3 position over Kai/AJ, Kobe and JC. But as they were saying, AJ is not playing the 4 position in Toledo while Kobe is playing the 4 position in UP.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                              Di na siguro ganun ka rampant ang one-on-one or individualistic approach style of play sa PBA ngayon. If you look at teams like TNT, Phoenix, Ginebra, its more on team play na rin bro.
                              While I agree that system play like the teams mentioned should be the general rule, that one-on-one play separates us from a lot of our Asian counterparts. It's a dimension most others don't have. It provides us with a bailout option.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                                I have them, bollick and perez, because they're battle tested. I don't have any problem if Dwight replaces them or takes yhe starting role but Dwight still has to prove he can do the job at the higher level. Parks, with how he's been playing, who wouldn't want him but question is, is his heart there?anyway, the heart of my argument here is the 5, 4 and 3 positions. Kai, aj and NP SF vs kai/aj, kobe, Clarkson. Where do you place your bet
                                Who is this NP SF? If that’s lebron james, dyan ako lol

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information