Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by anon9000 View Post
    The only contribution the PBA needs to give is a go to scoring guard(s) and an experienced big. Perez and Jap is a good choice.

I agree about him being careful to say who the top players are as marketing is tied with " PBA Star " conversations.
    The only PBA player I would consider (without too much training commitment) is either Fajardo or Aguilar. That is if Clarkson is available to replace Kouame or if Kouame is our naturalised players, then to replace Edu if he is not available i.e. if we have Kouame, AJ and Kai, thrn we dont need the PBA bigs. Any other PBA players can only be considered if they can commit the time to train with the team. However, if the PBA can lend 1 player to fully train with Gilas, I would like a player that can act as a PG or be converted as a PG. I would want to get Parks to train with Gilas and play as a PG.

Comment

• Isn't it not that we already have pba players in the roster? Those gilas draftees are basically pba players loaned to the gilas program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonifacio View Post
        The only PBA player I would consider (without too much training commitment) is either Fajardo or Aguilar. That is if Clarkson is available to replace Kouame or if Kouame is our naturalised players, then to replace Edu if he is not available i.e. if we have Kouame, AJ and Kai, thrn we dont need the PBA bigs. Any other PBA players can only be considered if they can commit the time to train with the team. However, if the PBA can lend 1 player to fully train with Gilas, I would like a player that can act as a PG or be converted as a PG. I would want to get Parks to train with Gilas and play as a PG.
        JF, I think needs to just recover and get healthy. Once he is back to a certain condition, he should be included. Edu for sure if he is healthy as well. This team I think needs to have a 3 world caliber bigs to rotate the 5 and to defend mismatches. They should be ready to defend the post, rim, and perimeter or at least 2/3.

Parks is a good choice too if he isn't blackballed by the MVP group like Romeo.

Originally posted by astigram04
        What I saw clearly in the tournament is, while ramos is their best wing option, he's also their only able playmaker. Forget SJ, I don't think he's cut to make plays and he's too small for a SG. RJ has potential but might take time. Juan should've been there to help bring the ball down and then Ramos takes it from there. Also if Oftana was there, Ramos can concentrate more on playmaking. Perez and bollick are still my first choices for the guard spots tho. The frontline depends on whether if kouame will eventually play as a local or not. If so, add aj edu and then tamayo will play some stretch 4 and maybe geo Chiu with spot minutes, I think ok na tayo
        The weakness I'm seeing is that there is no reliable point of attack. Ironic since that's been the strength of past NT's. JGDL, I'm not sure why he wasn't there but I'm projecting him to be the next Romeo/Keifer in a few years. CJ and Bollick are solid picks as we have seen them in the world cup and were the only standouts. If they can adapt to the system they will be helpful.

Having Clarkson and 2 top Asia level guards would help the offense.

Yeah, the finalized front line really impacts the rosters. Koume, Kai, Blatazar and Go have been a good platoon for the 5 for defense. Baltazar has been as good as advertised. If the NT can retain 3 of the 5, they will be good. The frontline will determine how we do not just on defense but getting wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluenote49 View Post
          Is it possible to add at least 2 pba players to this current roster? If yes then who are the best possible players that can be included? For me Japeth & Kief or lee!
          japeth has no brains, will just keep on biting at fakes, lee is horrible at defense, he will just foul his opponent because of bad defense. their Gilas days are over.
          sigpic

Comment

The only contribution the PBA needs to give is a go to scoring guard(s) and an experienced big. Perez and Jap is a good choice.

I agree about him being careful to say who the top players are as marketing is tied with " PBA Star " conversations.
            Junmar and Kiefer over Japs and Perez, imo.

Junmar is more effective underneath plus he has a decent mid range. and i think kiefer is a better fit than perez who may not adjust easily with the system in place.

My FIBA Asia Roster

Kai Sotto
            Ange Kouame
            Junmar Fajardo
            Justin Baltazar
            Isaac Go
            Karl Tamayo
            Will Navarro
            Mike Nieto
            Dwight Ramos
            Matt Nieto
            Kiefer Ravena
            SJ Belangel

Comment

• Originally posted by barok espinoza View Post
              Junmar and Kiefer over Japs and Perez, imo.

Junmar is more effective underneath plus he has a decent mid range. and i think kiefer is a better fit than perez who may not adjust easily with the system in place.

My FIBA Asia Roster

Kai Sotto
              Ange Kouame
              Junmar Fajardo
              Justin Baltazar
              Isaac Go
              Karl Tamayo
              Will Navarro
              Mike Nieto
              Dwight Ramos
              Matt Nieto
              Kiefer Ravena
              SJ Belangel
              Keifer has the edge as playmaker but CJ being more versatile, a proven scoring threat, and playing above his size gives him the advantage. But both are the type the NT needs for FIBA asia and the world.

JF if he comes back from injury no heavy impact on his speed and play will always have a spot. Jap's advantage will always be his agility.

Comment

• Guys hypothetical question:

If for instance Kouame is declared by FIBA as a local player, who would you choose between Kouame & a pre injury Junmar Fajardo?

For me, I'll pick Kouame hands down. Kouame is your typical center for the FIBA game - mobile, quick, with good laterals, has some shooting, can put the ball on the floor, & athletic (just a bonus) - something which Junmar isn't.

Junmar's edge over Kouame is the former's post moves (Junmar obviously is the best PBA player when it comes to back-to-the-basket moves). But such back-to-the-basket moves would almost be useless specially if you're facing a 7-foot or above center like a Hadadi, Zhou Qi, or an Ahmed Al Dwairi.
                "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Keifer has the edge as playmaker but CJ being more versatile, a proven scoring threat, and playing above his size gives him the advantage. But both are the type the NT needs for FIBA asia and the world.

JF if he comes back from injury no heavy impact on his speed and play will always have a spot. Jap's advantage will always be his agility.
                  junmar doesn't have to gripe about playing heavy minutes. if he can already play for smb, then he's ready to suit up for the nt, all things being equal.

Comment

• Imo we only need 2 pba players as a reinforcement. 1 big man and 1 pass first PG
                    For bigman it's either Japs or Junemar. Japs has a good perimeter D and a good rim protector not really a scoring threat, Junemar has questionable PnR defense and a bit slow when switching but he's a good scorer inside the paint. For PG I'm thinking about Kiefer or Norwood.
                    #FIRECHOTREYES!!

Comment

junmar doesn't have to gripe about playing heavy minutes. if he can already play for smb, then he's ready to suit up for the nt, all things being equal.
                      Junemar in limited minutes would be ideal to maximize his strengths and minimize his minutes. His post defense is gonna be key for the big Euro teams who play half court. His offense will be needed for the bench.

Comment

You can't really compare both because playing in a high level competition is more intense compared to a low level league like PBA.
                        #FIRECHOTREYES!!

Comment

• I think the third Big from the PBA should be able to provide two of the following on defense

1) Rim protection

2) Post

3) Perimeter

Koume and Kai have a combo of all three. For a platoon rotation, they need an experience big who is good at two of those three for matchup purposes. But I wouldn't be opposed to including Edu for a full youth movement.

Edu is a question mark along with JF. Edu is a younger more disciplined JA while JF is a legit big. Its who is available and healthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by live_evil View Post
                            japeth has no brains, will just keep on biting at fakes, lee is horrible at defense, he will just foul his opponent because of bad defense. their Gilas days are over.
                            Very much agree with you bro. If we are to reinforce Gilas with PBA players, piliin naman sana natin yung mga bata-bata. Japeth is what, 34? While Paul Lee is 32?

I'll go with the younger PBA players like Kiefer, Perez, Bolick.
                            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Junemar in limited minutes would be ideal to maximize his strengths and minimize his minutes. His post defense is gonna be key for the big Euro teams who play half court. His offense will be needed for the bench.
                              post defense is irrelevant against Euro teams because they tend to shoot from the outside. Having a good bigman who can also defend the perimeter is the key. Euro bigs don't always score in the post nowadays.
                              #FIRECHOTREYES!!

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                                Guys hypothetical question:

If for instance Kouame is declared by FIBA as a local player, who would you choose between Kouame & a pre injury Junmar Fajardo?

For me, I'll pick Kouame hands down. Kouame is your typical center for the FIBA game - mobile, quick, with good laterals, has some shooting, can put the ball on the floor, & athletic (just a bonus) - something which Junmar isn't.

Junmar's edge over Kouame is the former's post moves (Junmar obviously is the best PBA player when it comes to back-to-the-basket moves). But such back-to-the-basket moves would almost be useless specially if you're facing a 7-foot or above center like a Hadadi, Zhou Qi, or an Ahmed Al Dwairi.
                                Pre injury Junemar if we can build a time machine lol. JF despite his ups and downs is a world level bigman who came at the wrong time as big men became more perimeter oriented.

Moving forward Kouame if declared a local has the edge as he knows Tab's system, has adapted to the modern game, and is younger.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information