Page 831 of 855 FirstFirst ... 331731781821829830831832833841 ... LastLast
Results 16,601 to 16,620 of 17098

Thread: Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    To me I still don't see Dwight as a scorer, in NBA comparison he does not have the Kobe or Jordan score mentality, but rather has the LBJ gene , that frustrates many. Don't get me wrong he can score if needed , but his greatest value is his all around play. (Note in the SJ winning bucket , he was the passer not the go to guy receiver ).
    This is the reason why to me , Dwight is the perfect fit playing alongside a human bucket in Clarkson.
    If indivudual awards are statistical production base Dwight may not win the best player , but to me he is currently the best eligible gilas player.. He is the one player who can play almost anywhere for any team and will be valuable. (As Tab says)
    That's why when Thirdy was there last 1st window eh Dwight was little bit passive.. Thirdy is more of a scorer mentality than him as of the moment.. How many time Thirdy scores 30 pts or more in UAAP finals before? That is the indication... That's why i hope when Thirdy will come back eh Dwight will still stay his aggressive form... Their duo in scoring will be deadly in Asian scene...

Quote Originally Posted by ARMIR View Post
    With AJ still not at 100%,JA should be in the roster to have an experienced 4,and have Carino as a backup,I will take a Norwood PG,he can facilitate since he doesn't reallly produce on the offensive side much whenever he's in Gilas.
    Yeah, Japs would be a decent backup rim protector. He's mostly focus on defense so I think his age wouldn't matter that much and he still is athletic. I also think a player like Kiefer would be a good addition, I didn't like his performance in the WC but he has a lot of experience playing internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by B L A C K S U N View Post
    Yeah, Japs would be a decent backup rim protector. He's mostly focus on defense so I think his age wouldn't matter that much and he still is athletic. I also think a player like Kiefer would be a good addition, I didn't like his performance in the WC but he has a lot of experience playing internationally.

Yeah,a facilitator who can score if needed,but the main purpose are to set up guys in the perimiter and low post,and not be too greedy for hero ball.Makes me wish that we have Dave Panopio,in the roster he would be the guy to set things up with our bigs and wings.

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    Zhou Q would be a great test. But what's this that Zhou Qi looks slower? Baka naman he is older talaga?
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lun View Post
    farcry from the Asian games Zhou Qi version
    Maybe becoz he has just recovered from an injury & still isn't in tip top form as far as conditioning is concerned. I'll reserve my judgement on Zhou Qi.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous123 View Post
    A sight to see.. I think Kai will out smart him. We shall aee.
    I'll temper my expectation on Kai's match up with Zhou Qi.

Zhou Qi is a monster rim protector & he's athletic. Maybe his laterals aren't that good (as a poster here pointed out) but in terms of shot blocking, intimidation & rim protection, I say he's one of the best, if not the best in Asian basketball right now. Believe me, its not going to be an easy match-up for Kai. Kai has to bring his A-game vs. Zhou Qi.

Of course as I usually say, I hope I would be proven wrong na naman.

So...any word on the Gilas vs China game? ....any update....is it confirmed for today?

Tune up game against China tommorow, Tamayo able to practice now

https://m.facebook.com/3683987632186...6152734109900/

https://youtu.be/CCLP5ug06GY

Such a good video, our gilas boys definitely need to learn to box out and be more physical, not pbano type of physicality where you make your opponents bleed but fundamental type of physicality like boxing out, fishing for fouls in very clever ways like Belangel and Nieto did(this would make us a fucking headache to deal with no matter the opponent). It also shows the thankless jobs Navarro and Nieto contributed to the team, with Navarro's more obvious offensive and defensive contributions in this game like the dunks, 3s, blocks, closeouts, the last minute hustle play to Baltazar that sealed the game etc I dare say he's as if not more vital for this team as Dwight. The jobs of Nieto and Navarro is something I don't expect from the De Liano bros or the very showtime type of players like the Ravenas. Now I salivate about a 6'6 Kobe Paras playing like a Mike Nieto at the shooting guard�� Kobe has shown in the November window he's not all about showtime(well until the last game vs Thailand where his frustrations obviously shows) and he definitely needs to incorporate the finesse of a Navarro and a Mike Nieto and not just be a mini Japeth Aguilar.

I understand the optimism regarding Dwight Ramos being one of Gilas' key players.

I think one should understand what kind of wingmen we had in the previous iteration of Phi national team. So who were/are Phi national teams top wingmen in the last 30 years?

Allan Caidic, Kenneth Duremdes, Dondon Hontiveros, Marcio Lassiter, Jeff Chan, RR Pogoy, Matt Wright.

While all of them were/are highly skilled & some are/were athletic (like Duremdes, Hontiveros, Lassiter), they are only in the 6-foot-2 to 6-foot-3 height class. On the other hand, the top wings of teams like China, Korea, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan, etc., are 6-foot-5/6-foot-6. We obviously could not match-up with the height of our Asian rivals.

We had a 6-foot-5 Gabe Norwood as among our best wingmen. The problem with Norwood however is that he is just a pure defensive player whom we couldn't really relied upon in scoring. Add to that is Norwood being too passive in scoring & the lack of confidence in his offensive game.

Dwight's edge over the Caidics, Duremdeses, Hontiveroses, Lassiters is his size. Looking at Dwight's game, he's not really the super skilled nor among the most explosive wingman out there. But Dwight brings a lot of things into the game more than just scoring. He rebounds well for a wingman, hustles well, his defense is quite decent, passes well & as coach Tab described Dwight, he reads the floor very well. In short, Dwight brings a lot of intangibles to the game.

While Gilas' size was improved mainly becoz of the presence of 7-foot-3 Kai Sotto & 6-foot-11 Ange Kouame, I think it is the improvement of size/length of Gilas at the wings that the Koreans felt the most. Imagine having a 6-7/6-foot-6 small forward in Baltazar & Navarro, & 6-5 shooting guard in Dwight Ramos. That is something Phi basketball never had before.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Paras can only wish he has navarro and nieto’s defensive instincts.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And maybe Navarro's dribbling skills as well. Navarro's weakness is the lack of a decent 3-pt. shooting which he can improve.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And maybe Navarro's dribbling skills as well. Navarro's weakness is the lack of a decent 3-pt. shooting which he can improve.
    Yep, and navarro already has a better looking stroke than KP. Quicker release as well, ideal as a catch and shoot guy. Feels like navarro just needs repetition for his shot to be more consistent.

This is possibly Indonesia's to-be NP. Looks like he played for the US U-19. Will FIBA give another favor?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marques_Bolden

Indonesia is looks like it's going the Qatar route

Quote Originally Posted by Labradoodle View Post
    This is possibly Indonesia's to-be NP. Looks like he played for the US U-19. Will FIBA give another favor?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marques_Bolden

Indonesia is looks like it's going the Qatar route
    “He attended training camp of the 2017 USA Basketball Men's U19 World Cup Team, but was cut before the start of the tournament.”

I dont think this counts.

Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    sayang.he has the motors for it.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonifacio View Post
    So...any word on the Gilas vs China game? ....any update....is it confirmed for today?
    tomorrow afaik. only one game.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    Paras and Navarro are two different player archetypes, Paras attracts a lot of gravity on the offensive end and can be trained as a decent perimeter defender, while Navarro can use so much more assertiveness and ballsiness on the offense when he's not fumbling his dribbles and diving for the ball that is. Regarding dribbling and 3 point shooting, Paras definitely has the advantage there, idk wtf JAMSKIE is smoking but Navarro was 0/5 in the 1st Korea game and most of his shot attempts were off the dribble or drives to the basket which shows he has inferior finishing skills. Paras was getting double teamed all day vs Thailand and he has no reliable center in that roster when the paint gets too congested, Cariņo and Go were non factors so we weren't able to see his real game that window but he was still able to swish a contested 3. These 2 players can learn a lot from each other's game and I'd want them both in the roster, I get Kobe has a Kuzma syndrome who lives a hollywood lifestyle in his head but that's none of our business, all I see is a kid that still has a lot of potential, drive and room for growth in the basketball world.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    To me I still don't see Dwight as a scorer, in NBA comparison he does not have the Kobe or Jordan score mentality, but rather has the LBJ gene , that frustrates many. Don't get me wrong he can score if needed , but his greatest value is his all around play. (Note in the SJ winning bucket , he was the passer not the go to guy receiver ).
    This is the reason why to me , Dwight is the perfect fit playing alongside a human bucket in Clarkson.
    If indivudual awards are statistical production base Dwight may not win the best player , but to me he is currently the best eligible gilas player.. He is the one player who can play almost anywhere for any team and will be valuable. (As Tab says)
    i actually disagree with coach gregorio that jordan is d best shooter in d team. i think its dwight. he just don't fire away as regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by empyreanmaze View Post
    Paras and Navarro are two different player archetypes, Paras attracts a lot of gravity on the offensive end and can be trained as a decent perimeter defender, while Navarro can use so much more assertiveness and ballsiness on the offense when he's not fumbling his dribbles and diving for the ball that is. Regarding dribbling and 3 point shooting, Paras definitely has the advantage there, idk wtf JAMSKIE is smoking but Navarro was 0/5 in the 1st Korea game and most of his shot attempts were off the dribble or drives to the basket which shows he has inferior finishing skills. Paras was getting double teamed all day vs Thailand and he has no reliable center in that roster when the paint gets too congested, Cariņo and Go were non factors so we weren't able to see his real game that window but he was still able to swish a contested 3. These 2 players can learn a lot from each other's game and I'd want them both in the roster, I get Kobe has a Kuzma syndrome who lives a hollywood lifestyle in his head but that's none of our business, all I see is a kid that still has a lot of potential, drive and room for growth in the basketball world.
    Yes, I agree, Navarro had some drives to the basket but couldn't really finish in the 1st game vs. Korea, but I think his ball handling is better than Kobe at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by empyreanmaze View Post
    Navarro sure changed a lot. He used to be so soft and avoided contact. Heck he'd rather play like James Yap and lunch jumpers from the perimeter than take it inside. Now he's one of our lockdown defenders who mixes it up with opponents

Page 831 of 855 FirstFirst ... 331731781821829830831832833841 ... LastLast